Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So, will the Space victory involve Alpha Centauri as is traditional, or will it be a Seedship? That's about the only question I have right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a Mod for that.

Civilization V: There's a Mod for that.
Civilization VI: The first Mod will be to replace the menu music with Bata Yetu

berryjon
May 30, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

At the same time though it's kind of annoying that aggressive rear end in a top hat civ will forever be Genghis, Monty ,Shaka though.
I see you haven't played Civ 4 yet.

Every Civ 4 Player who cares about their religion posted:

Is-A-BELL-AAAAAAAA!!!!!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

And grow a pair of balls Firaxis and add Tibet as well. You can't possibly be selling that many retail boxes into China to not make taking the hit worthwhile.

Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, is a Religious City State in 5, so it's been backdoored in.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would rather have had a governor I could trust to make reasonable decisions after some basic configuration.

You know what would be an elegant/cute cheat? When you set your Governor's settings, have the AI copy it for their cities. After all, if it's good enough for the human, the AI can use it too!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It's not like Civ hasn't had PopCaps in the past - though that went away after Civ3. Aqueducts in 1 through 3, Hab Complexes in AC (with faction related changes), and 3 also requires hospitals to go past 12.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

E: I legitimately think they're going for all new leaders this time, which is awesome.

Sorry, but Cleo was in Civ 3. Religious/Industrious.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I rather hope there will be at least two grades of rivers, giving a nice 'tributary' feel and mixing up the movement restrictions somewhat.

I wonder if Bridge Building/Engineering will allow you to cross rivers normally, of if a road that crosses a river before bridges are in effect will have a reduced cost.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Aerdan posted:

"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public..." —Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations

I read that in Nimoy's voice :gonk:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

NotALizardman posted:

Since they're shaking up all the leaders in Civ 6, what if instead of Caesar and the Roman Empire we got the Roman Republic under someone like Gaius Marius?

Can you imagine Nero as the Roman leader? I can easily see him as a Culture/Diplomacy leader, if only to move away from the typical view of Rome as military/imperial.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Care to explain?

I believe the theory is that any improvement that does not optimize for food is a 'trap'. So the only GP Improvement that is viable would be the Great Merchant's Town. Engineers are better spent on Wonders, Scientists on bulbing, Prophets on religion spreading, etc...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gort posted:

And you don't get simpler than removing them entirely.

I'm not certain how balancing using city production to build improvements in its claimed area when measured against city production for buildings would work. As it is, Workers are investments that can be used away from the city of their construction, and work in parallel to the city itself with regards to improvements.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Maybe a system where you allocate pop to build the improvement, this way it can build parallel to buildings, it wont require worker units and still it involves management (since the pop you allocated to building is 1 pop less you got for food, production and etc). Makes more sense too IMHO

I like that! Then the pop will start working the improved tile immediately after it's finished, which is one less point of management as you'll improve tiles with spare pops as needed, then leave them there.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Rexides posted:

I hated that.

gently caress realism.

So... you gave spearmen a hidden +1000% Combat against Armor units, right? ;)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Kumaton posted:

So if I spawn on a continent by myself, my entire dumbshit civilization won't be able to figure out how to write? Or am I misreading how Eurekas work?
Either war, that's probably the most :civ: thing I've read about this game.

Eurekas are circumstantial bonuses to researching certain Techs. I presume that Writing will allow you to open up diplomacy with other Civs, so meeting a foreign power means you've been given an incentive to research that tech faster.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

oh ffs, if you're getting 50% on a tech from an eureka, and you know you're going to activate one, then you stop researching at 50% and swap into a new tech

I think you misunderstand. A Eureka bonus give you a 50% Bonus to research made on that tech. So once you've discovered another Civ, every 10 Beakers of research gives you 15 added to your total. It doesn't magically fill up half the bar.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Terrain requirements for Wonders is just another handy way to decentralize your cities and civilization - got to spread out those wonders not just around the city, but to different cities lest you choke down the one that's building them all.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

hard chokepoints

I remember when you could move into/through Mountains. They even had an awesome defensive bonus too!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hamlet442 posted:

Then it should work the other way around for the AI. One of the more annoying things in Civ 5 is an ally asking you to declare war on another civilization but they don't even bother to show up for the war, so you end up capturing everything and get the warmongering penalty for a war they started. Then that penalty stays for centuries and then they denounce you and declare war on you for being a warmonger. :psyboom:

That came up in my last game - I was using the CBP, and Alexander asked me to declare war on the Soiux. As I was playing a military game anyways, I agreed. And because it was in the Medieval era, I looked at the score for the offer - Alex was making a request that amounted to over 300,000. So I demanded everything from him I could get, including his vassalization.

He agreed. And a couple dozen turns later (due to needing to get my forces into place), the Soiux had lost their capital and were my second Vassal. Now, of only vassalization only did anything for diplomacy, instead of just taxing them and extracting demands. Alex got 25% tax rate, while the Soiux get 0% because one wasn't a douchbag.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Having to carefully arrange casus belli for specific sub-portions of an enemy civ, or else be branded a warmonger, just doesn't seem like a good time to me.

I think 'capture enemy city that shares a border with me, but not other cities of the same player' would be something to look into. A way to work against forward-settling if you will.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

No need to be so hostile, we're all gandhis here.

MY WORDS ARE BACKED WITH...

reasonable logic and debate.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

king phillip

Emperor Norton. :smug:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

I refuse to play unless they put the great California Republic in as a civ with Emperor Norton as the leader.

I just checked the Workshop - there is no Emperor Norton mod for Civ 5.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

What was so bad about BE? Never played it myself because I had to fill 1283 hours with Civ5 apparently.

In a word? Empty. The game is there, but there's nothing in it. Rather than having major differences between leaders and civs a la AC or Civ 5, all the changes are tiny and incremental. The game doesn't feel like there's any replayability to it at all.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gort posted:

Beyond Earth's AI was poor, the game was extremely easy, and the balance was non-existent. Coupled with Firaxis hardly patching it at all, and the result was just a mess.

At least it's not Starships.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Here's an idea. What if Trade Routes were calculated more along the lines of Civ 4? As in, there is no global limit, but rather each city gets a certain number of routes based on buildings, and the game auto-calculates maximum yield routes and just applies them? Obviously the benefits would have to scale back due to having more routes. If they want to give players more control, perhaps giving them the option to dictate if their cities should focus on internal trade (food and production, faith) or international (gold, science, tourism) much in the same way the cities can optimize for certain resource types already.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Warmonger?

No, they made AI Leader messages into something that appeared on the right side of the screen that you could just click away, rather than a full-screen thing that took you out of the game just so they could bitch at you for whatever reason.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

It was the best. The best.

Elvis Culture Advisor or BUST!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Taear posted:

Paradox manages it and they've got fanbases who'll start a fire in the Swedish embassy because Serbia's only got 4 provinces in EU4 and EU3 gave them 5.

I want to say you're joking, but this is Paradox we're talking about here. So I can't be certain if you're actually serious or not.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

My only worry about the expansion is that this will probably replace "Dream of Flight" as title theme, and that is the true tragedy.

Unless Christopher TIn composes the new title theme.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Chucat posted:

Spitballing this because why not:

Interest check on LP of Civ 4 where I and the other people here who know a ton about Civ 4 just explain as much stuff about the game as humanly possible. (Let's Learn as opposed to a narrative thing or whatever the gently caress). Comedy option, Succession game.

Yeah, let me go reinstall Civ 4 now.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Since people are considering Civ4 LPs and what-have-you, is there any interest in a Civ4 multiplayer game? (either hotseat or live?)

I had a blast playing Civ4 Multiplayer back in university. SIgn me up for live if possible, and timing works out.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

everything I hear makes it sound like ever going beyond four cities is catastrophic.

The short answer is that the formula for Culture, Science and the like reach max efficiency at four cities, plus the Tradition policy tree only affecting your first four cities with the free buildings means that you are behind the curve with 1-3 cities, and at 5+, you are actually losing out as the newer cities cannot produce enough Culture or science to offset the penalties you acquire for having the cities, especially with the relatively slow development of them.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

native america isnt a real country

I'm going to assume you meant to include that with a little " ;) " icon, so my response will follow from that.

But it's a game called Civilization, not Country-Nation! I mean, it's not like Greece under Pericles and Alexander (to name a couple of their leaders), wasn't a nation as we accept it today, but rather a loose collection of City-states! ;)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

markus_cz posted:

(The actual win conditions would have to be redesigned but that’s obvious.)

Wasn't that what was done with the Smoky Skies mod for Civ 5? It was a best of 5 competition for overall winner; Most tech, most policies, biggest army, that sort of thing.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Beamed posted:

Not to sound like a jerk, but any word on if the expansion is going to come with an AI?

<sarcasm>
The game already comes with a well-designed case of "All-natural Insanity" when it comes to the decisions of the other Civs.
</sarcasm>

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

Also I'm pretty sure I'm the biggest BE apologist because I still occasionally play Starships, a game that everyone forgot existed until they read this sentence

It's on my laptop, tempting me with the words "LP me! You know you want to!" So far I've been resisting.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Me, too. Mainly held back by the fact that I play BE primarily on the lowest difficulty and there's no tension or challenge to it, I play the game to relax.

I was talking about Starships, not BE. BE is on my desktop.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Did that Civ IV Let’s Play ever get off the ground? I think it was brought up as a suggestion quite a few pages ago, but I’d still be interested in whoever was discussing that.

Here. The succession game stalled out when one of the players kinda vanished, and the Religion challenges were ... I tried, failed, and tried again only to bog down in just how narrow it seems, even on easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

Would pay hard cash for the return of cheesy FMV advisors from Civ 2.

Elvis was not cheesy! You take that back! :)