Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Speaking of audio, both headsets seem like half of a whole. I want the Rift to have the automatic audio switching off the Vive, and the Vive to have the built in headphones of the Rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

froody guy posted:

How does it work if you receive a defective Rift? I've searched in the oculus site and googled "oculs rift return policy" but I found only people bitching about the fact that oculus doesn't have a return policy page. Dafuq?

You submit a ticket and hope for the best. It's about the same for HTC, from what I hear.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Oh hey I got a package today.

:getin:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Warbird posted:

Awesome! Do you have a Vive setup as well? Can you post your thoughts comparing the two?

I do, but I have to figure out sensor placement first. :v:

Flashbackjack posted:

Oh my.

That is some sexy hardware. Seems like more and more devs are getting kits. What are you making?

Computer Janitor :v: I've posted it before, but haven't uploaded a new build lately.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Kazy, how are you liking them so far?

Right now I haven't played with them much, I've got them both on my desk but my mic arm/HOTAS are in the way and it isn't ideal. I'd love to wall-mount them by my drywall is shallow and kind of sucks. I'm thinking of putting them side-by-side with my Lighthouses.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, thats what I'm hoping they can avoid. I want someone playing as the captain, giving me an order, to actually mean something and not just be fluff that I can ignore to do my own thing. Something like... what was that old FPS mod where like, you could play as different classes and one was the 'commander' or something, and they had an RTS type view of the game so if they gave you an order to move somewhere, it was probably for a good reason and you should follow?

It's basically aping Artemis Bridge Commander completely. The captain doesn't really "do" anything except assess the situation without having to worry about their own station. Then again, if you were short on people, the Captain was the first role to be relegated into another.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

If it's any consolation, Oculus hasn't offered me any giant sacks of money yet.

Where are my giant sacks of money, Oculus? :argh:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I mean for exclusivity :v: just because they sent me Touch controllers doesn't mean I have to make a drat thing for them.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Uhh Nope posted:

Is there a video or diagram somewhere that can explain to me how the "gesture" inputs work on the Touch controllers? Does it track all your fingers between the hand loops or what?

The top of the controller and the trigger have capacitive sensors on it. So when you lift your finger off the button/triggers, it knows.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Good thing someone here has a Touch and is going to do some testing once they get their USB3 extender in :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I gotta say Windlands is so much easier using the Touch :v: It's nice having a controller with actual buttons that are easy to reach and push.

Can confirm SteamVR works just fine with the Rift, though I had to unplug my Vive to get it to see it. Wish there was an in-software way to select which headset I want to use. 360 works fine, have yet to try roomscale. Tracking seems just fine, too. I don't have my sensors as far apart as my Lighthouses, but they are just far enough to see me 360.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

The difference is that Valve will fund your game as long as you put it on Steam, they don't care if it's Rift or Vive only, so developers are free to make as much money from both headsets.

You don't need to put it on Steam, but if they fund it, they take 100% of Steam sales until the grant they gave you is paid back.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

NRVNQSR posted:

Does it actually somehow only work with the Vive, or have they just not put the Rift logo on the page because Touch isn't out yet?

It has a headset check, and loads the Oculus SDK if you have that. Which doesn't have Touch implemented.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

It isn't a problem in that literally thousands of developers have had the kits and it's such a minor feature it's not worth posting about. They're super weak magets just strong enough to let you set them down upright on a desk.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why bother with Touch when Vive already exists and is implemented?

Because touchpads as joysticks suck. :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

The current Touch controls for Windlands (SteamVR version) are kind of weird since grip is still jump, but I suspect that's because SteamVR uses up a couple of the face buttons (B and Y I think). But they are way better than using the Vive wands.

Kind of wish I had more touch-specific stuff to play with though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I don't think this is an illegal knockoff, I think they just signed up for the Lighthouse hardware development program and immediately announced their plans. I really doubt they have anything beyond a rendering.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

What is there for HTC to invent? Valve created lighthouse and opened it up for anyone to use. Valve helped HTC create everything else. I guess HTC created that anti-mura thing they were talking about last December.

Did you look at the page? They have physical prototypes.

That didn't load on the mobile version :v: That is 100% the same sensor layout as on the Pre

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

My brother got a Vive and it's been losing tracking in a really dramatic way, like things will fly all over the place and the Vive will literally shut itself off and reboot.

He said before it would happen every 8 seconds or so and after some tweaking of the setup he's up to 2 minutes.

He said he talked to HTC and they indicated it was maybe from a non-optimal setup; he doesn't have sunlight or mirrors there but his room is pretty small. Still that seems weird that it would actually reboot. Anyone else heard of that?

Does he have any windows at all in his room? I didn't have sunlight, but windows screwed with my Vive bigtime for the first two weeks before I got blackout curtains.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

This looks great but unless your hands are huge, why the gently caress is the handle so short? This would bother me so much.

Im glad I'm not the only one to notice this. It took me a while to get used to, but I don't like the way my ring and pinky fingers have to overlap to hold the controller.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Supernorn posted:

We've had a Vive for a lot longer, yes. They are comparable, but the interesting difference in the demos i did try is that the touch controllers try to represent your hands themselves, rather than a tool that you're holding. I'd personally lean towards the touch controllers because I like that it can track certain hand gestures, but I'd like to have spent more time with some demos that use them in that way before I could say one is better than the other.

This isn't final hardware, but the size of the handle doesn't seem to be an issue for me personally. It's comfortable to hold and is sized pretty comparatively to that of an Xbox controller:

How easy are the battery doors to open? I have the previous sample and it's a total bitch to replace the batteries.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

https://twitter.com/TTLabsVR/status/779155770927480832

Looks like I'm not the only one cancelling Touch support.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

That is indeed me :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Henry Ford supported actual Hitler and wrote The International Jew and yet people still buy Ford vehicles. Nearly every company has some horrific shitlord at the top at some point.

But he's dead now and no longer running Ford?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

So, like what I'm asking you is did Palmer or Nimble America put out any white supremacist or racists meme's? I'm not a fan of doing the whole "he's guilty just because he's surrounded by shitlords" type thinking, personally, because that is the same mindset that leads to people thinking every black guy in a poor neighborhood is part of a gang because he might hang around some gang members.

As someone who pulled support, I too fail to find evidence they did anything other than a billboard. Palmer's free to have as many lovely opinions as he wants, but it looks like Nimble America's active shittery was overblown. :shrug: So I might end up having Touch support anyway.

Though I don't think he should be the "face" of Oculus anymore. But he really hasn't been lately.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Touch games are now on the Store, and the Touch Devs got fuuuuuucked.

Medium $30
Quill $30
Dead and Buried $40
The Unspoken $40
VR Sports Challenge $30
Robo Recall $Probably 40

I was expecting the Oculus titles to be free, but this is going really far.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

AndrewP posted:

I don't follow, how did they get hosed?

It'll end up being cheaper to buy the Touch for the preorder bonuses than to be a dev and have to pay for them all.

e: The only thing that's 100% free is Toybox.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

El Grillo posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a facial interface cover for the Rift? I got one of these: https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-cover/ but it's not a particularly nice material to have pressed against your face for extended periods of time, a bit rough/harsh.
Anyone tried the vrcover ones?
https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-vr-cover-nosefree/
https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-vr-cover/

Hopefully they get their kickstarter foam interface sorted soon and start selling it on their website.

I got my foam interface and it is not comfortable at all. I probably should have opted for the wider one for glasses, but didn't think it would matter due to the small size of my glasses.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Surprising no one, Magic Leap turns out to be pretty much a fraud

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Lemming posted:

Ok, so I tried out the Unspoken in ReVive as promised and the results were pretty mixed. I have a 970 for my video card, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but basically it ran without crashing and you could play it, but it ran like complete garbage. Constant stuttering and the whole world would swim a bit when you moved your head. Not fun.

I dunno how it'd run if you had a really beefy computer so it could be a result of my graphics card just not being good enough without Oculus's voodoo magic. If you only have a 970 I would recommend against risking buying it.

My 970 ran Unspoken just fine. :shrug:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I didn't know Aatrek worked at Oculus.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Went looking earlier in this thread, found these gems. :v: So I wouldn't bother arguing with this guy.

Poetic Justice posted:

First, Muslim isn't a race. Second, unchecked immigration is not a good idea in general, mo matter what religion or other country they are from. It's important to do background checks. You can't just be like "welp, everyone come on in".

Poetic Justice posted:

I don't think it's racist to bring up the fact that right now, there are tons of Syrian refuges that some people think should just be let in without doing the proper checks that we do for everyone else.

In actual VR discussion, has anyone here tried roomscale in Oculus Home? For some reason, my second sensor doesn't seem to be picking up my Touch controllers, even though it seems to pick up the headset just fine.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 1, 2017

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

It's like Leap Motion, but worse!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is Bridge Crew worth $50? Or should I just wait for a sale?

To treat me like you do?

If you have 100 uPlay points, you can get a 20% discount. I had them from some old Assassins Creed achievements.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

octan3 posted:

Probably covered in this thread somewhere, but I've been looking to get some prescription lenses for my rift, and last time I had a look into it it seemed like https://vr-lens.eu/ was the way to go. Has anyone purchased from here recently?

Over the last few days I've tried to go through the checkout process to no avail with the checkout page usually failing to load, and I haven't heard anything from their contact us page so I'm wondering if they are still the best place to get prescription lenses from, or if there was another alternative out there?

You can get this 3D printed + cheap lenses from Zenni.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Got a Rift for black friday like many others and I've got an odd thing wanted to see if this is a problem that I should contact Occulus for or if it's an expected issue.

The problem is that the the black level isn't consistent across the screen, I've got a diagonal triangle of grey cutting across most of the right eye and down into the bottom of the left eye. Basically across this area it looks like those cheap old LCD's that let light leak out. It's very obvious during the black loading screen and generally you can't notice it in a game unless it has a lot of black. Not sure if this is a panel problem that Occulus would replace it for or a known thing I should get used to like bloom.

This is pretty normal, unfortunately. My headset has had it for ages. It used to be even worse, though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Looks like it’s hinting at a better lens design with a bigger sweet spot.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I have an Acer dev kit and it's really robust. If it weren't for the controller range I'm not sure I'd be able to tell you it was inside out if I didn't know any better.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Yeah, I don't see why you think the Quest will do worse than PCVR, I already end up using my WMR more than my Oculus simply because the Oculus setup is a huge hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Skyarb posted:

Beatsaber had its first update in a while.

Added Expert+ to all songs, apparently changed visuals and stuff too

https://steamcommunity.com/games/620980/announcements/detail/1708449632708343984

They changed the sabers to be less Star Warsy, uninstalled.