Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Both Generations and First Contact are beautifully shot I feel or at least, were good at contrasting color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Wikkheiser posted:

I unironically want a super-crazy kitschy Star Trek with retro-60s futurism on a social justice warpath.

See, I would rather they move on from it's continuity if possible. Set it 50 years after the end of the TNG era, don't get bogged down in already making what has been made.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Epicurius posted:

Also, about Tasha....why is the Federation ok with a planet that has "rape gangs" on it? I understand her home planet is a failed colony and its seceded from the Federation. I can see the Federation being theoretically ok with secession, in the sense of "Oh, we're a community of equals and don't want you to be part of the Federation if you don't want to be. But it seems like that would apply more to a functional society. If the colony has fallen into anarchy and things have gotten all Mad Max, you'd think the Federation might step in and say, "Look, guys, this has to stop. You have to get your poo poo together."

Once they withdrew their affiliation, I imagine the Prime Directive applies. It's not the Federation's job to police outside planets unless they are a danger to the Federation itself.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cingulate posted:

I wonder what it says about humans that if I ask, 3 times, if it’s ever not just implied, but explicitly said that X, I get 4 answers how it’s strongly implied that X :v:

E.: or that, having received the same unsatisfactory answer to the same question 2 times, I go and ask exactly the same question a 3rd time.

The Federation does not boast of its power, it wouldn't be Federation-y.

A few explicit power admissions of the top of my head:

1. When Praxis explodes, some Federation Admirals suggest to starve the Klingon's for 20 years and then have an easier time to win militarily.
2. The Klingon-Federation Alliance on some level is an existential threat to the Romulans and to an extent the Dominion.
3. When Kurn is kicked out of the High Council, part of the reason is that he believes the Klingons would lose a war to the Federation.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Could be worse, according to stuff about the making of First Contact, the producers wanted to destroy the Defiant. The DS9 writers had to step in and insist "No, we're still using it and you can't blow up our ship to make yours look better by comparison."

I mean isn't that a bit ironic considering both what happened to the Odyssey? Also, the Defiant comes across as my ship pew pews better than yours in most of the series.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"mr. moose: you may... indulge yourself."
"hell yeah, setting course for the fellatio planet"

(Seriously, thank you, I laughed out loud when I saw this.)

It has name and its called Risa.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, I'm not bothering to check it out for the same reason. It's hard to give a show a fair chance when you want to see the main character punched in his stupid face before you've even started watching.

He's really good for his role in the Orville, he's a decent actor.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I think the simple solution is STOP MAKING TREKS BETWEEN THE TOS and TNG era. If anything Star Trek is about looking forward, so pull a TNG and set it 50-100 years after the end of the Dominion War.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Who is the wokest star trek character?

Riker and its not close.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

McNally posted:

The more I think about this the more I think it's actually true.

The man is all about respecting other people and their cultures and not judging people AND trying to fight inequities.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Going back to Jadzia chat:

I haven't watched DS9 since it aired but I pick up the occasional episode on youtube. I think Jadzia didn't work because they didn't know what her character was suppose to be. It kinda formed around when Worf came about but this is problematic within a modern context. Jadzia should of been the ideal Starfleet officer, who embodies the curiosity, openness, and intellect. She comes across with Worf as eager to learn and loving life but it rarely comes across in the early episodes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Epicurius posted:

Dr. Crusher falls in love with Odan, an ambassador who's from this new species, the Trill. She finds out his secret; that the Trill are really these worms that live inside the humanoid species on their home planet, and take over their bodies. She's a little, "Hmm", then decides, "You know what? I love you, even if you are a mind controlling worm in a meat puppet." Then the body dies, and they have to put the worm in Commander Riker so that Odan can continue his important negotiations. Odan/Riker, though, still is crushing on Dr. Crusher. She's like, "Well, this is kind of weird, you know, cause it's Commander Riker, but i guess he IS pretty hot, and it's still Odan, so what the hell!" Then, Riker's body starts to reject Odan, and they have to rush a new host in, or else both Riker and Odan will die. So, they do, and it's a woman. Dr. Crusher then says, basically, "Well, I could deal with dating a mind worm who was controlling the body of my friend, colleague, and immediate superior, but a lady dating a lady? Well, that's weird, and human beings can't deal with that!"

To be fair though, if Beverly isn't attracted to women she isn't attracted to women.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MillennialVulcan posted:

DS9 is a bit of a counterpoint to TNG. TNG is the morals and values of the Federation, DS9 puts them through the ringer. DS9 is the best Trek imo, but only because it has TNG to build off of.

So that said, you might want to check out a few TNG episodes before you kick into DS9.

S4E12 - The Wounded - O'Brien's war experiences with the Cardassians
S5E3 - Ensign Ro - Bajoran ensign, Maquis build up
S6E10-11 - Chain of Command - Cardassian intrigue
S7E20 - Journey's End - Wesley episode, but deals with the displacement of natives at the hands of a Federation/Cardassian peace treaty, Maquis build up
S7E24 - Preemptive Strike - Tests Ro's loyalties to the Bajorans and to the Federation

No Best of Both Worlds? For shame.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Franchise fatigue can be a thing, but in Trek's case it was entirely the talent, not the audience. The trek movies were bad, Voyager was bad, Enterprise was bad. If those shows had actually been good, if the movies didn't vary from "bland tng 2 parter" to "one of the worst movies I've ever seen" then maybe trek wouldn't have died. It feels like way too easy of an excuse to just say "franchise fatigue" when there was such a massive drop in quality. People had fatigue for trek with Rick Berman involved.

Enterprise could of been good as we see in season 4 but the insistence of creating a dumb plot with a race that came out of nowhere really hamstrung. Add to that a time travel plot and it was going to be dud out the gate.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I will defend Generations and First Contact as good movies, Insurrection never lives up to its parts, but Nemesis is a special kind of awful.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Tip 3: then watch Farscape. It still counts because it premiered in 1999!

Just do this and skip Babylon 5.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

First Contact mainly accomplishes being the least bad

First Contact is, to me anyway, visually very pretty, has good action scenes, and balances the Enterprise stuff and the stuff on Earth fairly well. The opening scenes with the Borg taking over the ship are legitimately creepy. The Borg Queen wasn't executed very well but I kinda get why they added her to give the movie a proper villain.

I think the first battle should of been longer to really sell the Borg threat but still that first battle is fun too.

Welp, that's my First Contact defense.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

The body horror stuff with the Borg in FC works really well and then Voyager made it into something you can just easily fix.

Frakes did a good job of making the ship feel like it was working against the crew too. There is a scene in the theatrical cut where the security team is trying to run from the borg, open a dark room and there is a beat and you see one laser, and then another laser, and then another until they realize they ran into a room of assimilated crewmen and their fate is sealed. super creepy.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Noodle Incident posted:

I know it would be an unfilmable bloated mess, but I would have liked to see a First Contact that included some of the DS9 cast. I get that the point of The Emissary is that Sisko is no longer stuck in his memory and has started to move on, but I still would have liked him and Picard to really express to each other what they lost and why they both need to stop The Borg at any cost. The only time we get to see them interact that I can recall is when Picard still outranks Sisko and is basically telling him to get his poo poo together or retire so they can get someone to do this job, and to have them meet on equal footing and both have catharsis and come to understand each other would have been fun to watch. A bonus of this is that instead of Nemesis, we might have gotten a full movie with the DS9 cast. :aaaaa:

It's interesting because in the current age of television TNG/DS9 would of ABSOLUTELY had a few crossovers.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lore was just such a meh character that probably had more potential if they thought harder about it.

Also, I think part of the problem with the later movies was too big a focus on Data and Picard to the determent of the of the cast.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Some counters:

1. One of the reasons First Contact kinda works is because you can't talk your way out of the Borg (also why WoK and BoBW work). All your federation high mindedness won't help you, you have to fight.
2. I said before the Borg are loving creepy in this movie and they look creepier than they did on TV. They are spreading like a virus, the ship feels claustrophobic and working against the crew who supposedly know their ship inside and out
3. True, the time travel plot doesn't work all that well and ends up bringing up more questions but it was cool to see the actual First Contact.

In an ideal world I think it would of been two movies. Have a movie where the federation fleet is fighting the Borg Cube all the way to worth and start to assimilate the Enterprise. You get the big fleet battles, you get the same sense of what is going on the ship versus what's going on on the outside. The only issue is that Riker wouldn't have much to do. I guess the original script of FC had switched Picard and Riker's roles.

Then do a movie on First Contact and I dunno, use Romulan spies or something. Have it be a cat and mouse spy thriller or something.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

You know, I'm thinking about rewatching it with that post in mind. I've always more or less agreed with the "it's out of character" crowd.

Make sure its not the tv cut/version.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's a combination of roulette, poker, and Monopoly. All the human games a Ferengi might enjoy, slammed into one.

You're thinking of tongo.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Seeing the Enterprise-D in the first contact shots made me realize is that the Enterprise D should of been in FC and been destroyed in that movie and not thrown away in Generations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MikeJF posted:

It's Star Trek tradition that you can basically get away with breaking whatever rules and orders you want if you think it's The Right Thing To Do.

Unless its letting a planet full of sentient beings die because that's the natural order of things.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Taear posted:

I really enjoy sort of "massive unknowable/ancient thing in space that we're exploring" stories like Rendevouz With Rama and the original Borg kind of have that.
It's part of what I really like in Babylon 5 because the First Ones fit into that really well.

I know people blame First Contact but it really was Voyager that ruined the Borg. Having them as an ancient lurking evil, almost force of nature, made them compelling. Making them another political power, ruined a lot of what made it cool.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

8one6 posted:

It may be because I'm not the biggest Tarantino fan but whenever someone mentions him potentially writing/directing/whatever a Star Trek movie I cringe. It's like someone saying they put a slice of chocolate cake on a pepperoni pizza before eating it.

If we are being honest, I don't think Tarantino would "get" what Star Trek is about and granted Star Trek can be about a great many tings but I worry with him that it would be his throw back to ultra gore and focus way too much on like Uhura's feet.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Also, at least in the case of Bajor, the government was such a mess that an industrial replicator probably didn't get stuff to the people who actually needed it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Spiner returning in any form would be an extremely effective way to deflate most of the anticipation I had for the show.

Yah those later TNG movies suffer from too much Data focus. Like, the show wasn't just those two characters.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

I'm only bring up the Maquis not to deflect from one of the valid criticisms of Voyager, but to point out a recurring problem DS9 has, and that's that everything that isn't the Dominion arc kind of peters out without a resolution. Eddington's death does nothing to address the issues that created the Maquis; it's an ending, but not necessarily a resolution.

From what I read about Ron Moore's depiction of the Maqui, they didn't really have a fully realized vision of what they were. His thing was that the Federation was mad that people left the Federation and it never really jives with what we see. The Maqui are putting lots of lives in danger and its the Federation's job to protect the peace for its people.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BBC America airs Yovager reruns and it occurred to me that randomly putting on a Voyager episodes, on their own with not outside context. Most of the episodes have been ok (not good, not great but decent). But taken in totality on the show make them worse, it's kinda weird.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Orv posted:

Worf's entire journey across two shows is his preconceived notion of what Klingon honor and empire are and the continual struggle to adapt and find his place within the reality that is a less-than-honorable and almost cowardly people he almost entirely can't identify with. I think it's apt, if broadly pithy and if we don't do that here I don't know what else we've made nearly 60K posts about. It's pretty clear no-one is being actually lovely about it in that way.

E: Worf is practically DS9's Janeway in that his level of comfort with Klingon culture is dependent entirely on the story being told - with the exception of a couple episodes that have some definite, linear throughput on his status and positions - and he frequently vacillates between the Ur-Klingon and Weekend Klingon.

Worf's story is essentially one of an "idealized" immigrant. Not quite fitting into his own culture, not quite completely fitting into Federation culture. He takes the parts of the cultures that speaks to him and it just happens to be the best parts which Picard points out. The honor of an idealized Klingon and the compassion of an idealized human. But he so far removed from Klingon culture as time goes out it's a culture that becomes increasingly foreign and almost unrecognizable.

Honestly, it's why K'hyler and Ezri (and Riker to an extent) are good foils for Worf. They can point out the bullshit and he respects them enough to listen. Jadzia is almost the opposite, too blindly loyal to a culture she also barely understands.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

T.C. posted:

It is such a brain gently caress that it has been longer from the end of TNG to now than it was from TOS to TNG.

The Picard series is like if there were a Shatner acted Kirk series as the follow up to TNG.

It's this weird pop culture drift that happens with Star Trek media. Yes, the Captain is an important character but especially with TNG, the other characters around him are almost as important. Riker got shunted to the sidelines in the TNG movies, sans Generations, for Data and its like the writers not saw his character as critical to the show which was bizarre to me.

I don't mind the concept of what the Picard show seems to be about, what happens when an idealist sees the world for what it is and can he regain his idealism. It's a good premise for Picard more than say Kirk or Sisko. But I don't trust modern writers to not gently caress it up.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Beyond had a chance to be great because they asked a very Star Trek question which was, what happens to soldiers when there are no wars? And they get so close to exploring it but they never go into that second level. It's an interesting contrast to Pine-Kirk who is so bored with being a Captain and wants to find purpose vs. Idris Elba who had purpose but you get the feeling would rather be fighting all the time. It's no coincidence that Pegg who seems to get non-Star Wars scifi, was the writer.

Also, because they split the cast up you got to see more personality of their characters.

Into Darkness could of set up the what happens when your government gets so far from ideals to protect itself but it barely gets into it and Kahn feels like a weird throw in. Also none of the treks have used alien cultures at all. Basically, everything but Beyond is a waste of the Trek Premise.

Also, Generations and First Contact are both good movies, fight me.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Similarly, Vulcans also have emotions, they are just suppressed. I am not sure why it became Vulcans have no emotions.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Drone posted:

In my book there is no worse TNG episode than Code of Honor.

I just rewatched Aquiel and, while it's bad, it's nowhere near as bad as Code of Honor.

Code of Honor needs its own unique tier of being racist and not trying to do say anything.

Also, The Game needs to be discussed in this list.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

marktheando posted:

poo poo I forgot about The Game, bottom 5 episode for sure.

Ethics is pretty bad too but is saved by one amazing scene between Frakes and Dorn.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Drone posted:

"The Best of Both Things"
"The Inner Glow"
"Wallpaper"

"Last Night's Enterprise"
"The Distance of the People"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

"The Lieutenants of Commands"
" Under Decks"