Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I can't find anything useful on google for obvious reasons, but is there a decent mod out there that adds dog people into the game?

Was just chatting with a friend about how Kajits or w/e are cool but a 6ft tall black lab wearing knights armor would be way cooler :3:

No labradors but:
Werewolf people http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/47888/
Other doggy people http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13561/
Fox people http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/62176/
That guy from Final Fantasy 10 that kinda looks like a dog http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57861/
And finally Rabbit people http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37870/

I was impressed that the only about 90% of the mod races in the Nexus were "sexy teenagers" instead of the 98-100% I'd assumed.

Edit: Mother fucker.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Fixed now, jesus christ I'm an idiot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

Just a slip of the mind, happens to everyone :)

I'm just annoyed because I spent actual time finding those due to foggy remembrances of seeing a couple cool races on nexus before, then got called into work for a shift from hell so I didn't see the mistake for an entire day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Smol posted:

Dear thread. After 5 years and almost 1000 hours in Skyrim, I still haven't finished the game (or even the Civil war questline). When the new Whatchamacallit edition comes out, I'm going to do it. I'm going to finish Skyrim. :black101:

I call bullshit, I own and have spent hundreds of hours each in Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim and have finished the main quest in zero of them. Fallout: New Vegas is the only Bethesda published game I've ever beaten, and I wouldn't say I've beaten it, just got to the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sylink posted:

What are some good gimmick builds?

I tried vampire mage and it was ok, but the maintenance for vampirism is obnoxious even with the better vampires mod.

Being a Mage is hilariously broken, though.

They tend to require mods, but I've heard fun things about punch cats in this thread.

Speaking of which has that dialogue replacer for Khajit been ported to SE yet, because I've never used either and that seems like a good combination if I'm not going to be using a lot of new quests and poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Orv posted:

Uh, is mod piracy actually covered under SA piracy rules now?

I doubt it, since SA can't be sued over mod piracy and that's the major reason the piracy rules were ever made.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

docbeard posted:

You wouldn't download a car mod.
Wrong game, but still gamebryo.
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49042/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zore posted:

SPERG is ported to the SE. Though with a few caveats like not being able to change the rate you gain perks.

Also the Best Friend animal pals are broken :(

I never actually bothered with those because I have an inborn hatred of companions in FPS games, and in inborn hatred of companions you don't control directly in RPGs, but for some reason that's depressing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arivia posted:

After reading the OP, I guess I'm running Legendary edition even though I'm on Windows 10. What sort of stuff do I need to worry about with the 4GB RAM limit (and only that, my computer can definitely crush Skyrim in general)? This is the first time I've played Skyrim in awhile so I was going to throw in a bunch of stuff like SPERG and maybe other magic mods, an ENB profile, Frostfall, and maybe just more stuff in general for diversity. Especially more enemies.

You'll probably be fine. I ran more mods than I used on a janky Windows 10 laptop (that was only Windows 10 because of the free upgrade), and didn't have enough crashes to worry about it. Don't push it too much on graphical poo poo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arivia posted:

The weight limit is the #1 worst thing in the game. It's too effective as a gameplay mechanic :mad:

If it's not something you need for potions or breaking down for crafting, don't pick anything up with less than a 10:1 ratio of value to weight

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

glad you're here to spice it up chief

you could google your question and click the first link here:
https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/245394/how-do-i-transfer-my-skyrim-game-to-another-computer

to which the answer is "yes" or take this opportunity to switch to mod organizer and have a better time

You can use Mod Organizer with the Special Edition?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I haven't played this game since being disappointed by it at launch, but thought I'd pick it up now that enough years have passed for mods to fix anything I hated. I kinda figured I could pick up the DLC for a game this old on the cheap, but holy poo poo it's $45 total on Steam.

Are those commonly on sale or anything? Frankly, I'm not about to drop $45 on a game I'm gonna have to put together myself; I'll just play NV again.

It'll probably drop during either the Fall sale or the Christmas sale. Special Edition is only 40 and includes all the DLC and looks and runs better. Mods that need SKSE don't work, but most of the others have been ported. I can't remember how much Skyrim was when I bought it during a free weekend, but I think was $15.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Randaconda posted:

I'm running it with Apocalypse and haven't noticed anything bad yet.

Apocalypse and Ordinator are by the same guy and designed to work together, and there's a SPERG patch for Apocalypse, so the SPERG/Ordinator combo should work also if the guy who made it knows his stuff. I can't imagine someone who would go through the effort of merging Sperg and Ordinator not using Apocalypse in their own game also.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SgtArseCandle posted:

Any kind goon could recommend good necromancy mods? I haven't tried skyrim modding since a few years back and looking on the nexus and workshop there is about a dozen of the mods and I expect with greatly varying quality.

Ideal would be something that removes the level cap on the minions to be raised and ideally raises/removes the cap on the number of minions.

Ordinator has a bunch of fun conjuration perks including making permanent skeleton minions, but doesn't abolish the minion cap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nelson posted:

Are there any mods that give innate magic resistance via regular armor? My idea is about half the armor rating would go into physical protection and half would go into magic protection. I want to play a heavy armor wearer who crafts her own armor that can survive pesky mages and dragons without going down the enchanting rabbit hole.

There's a mod that let's you pay other people to craft armor, there might be one that lets you pay other people to enchant it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Enderal is fantastic.

Yeah, but it's not something you can plug into a Skyrim game. It's a different game made with the Skyrim engine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

Has anyone used Khajiit Speak? If so, is it worth using for a Khajiit playthrough?

It's pretty good. The Khajiitisms (I think that's the right word) are well written enough to not feel forced. Probably best for a sneaky type of character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I get why people want to turn Skyrim into a survival game, it's got a nice mix of environments, they have a lot of food as consumables, and a wide range of clothing/armor. But it's probably never going to be as good of a survival game as one of the very, very many ones that were meant to be a survival game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr.Grit posted:

I'm at level 50 on my current SSE playthrough with the sperg port installed and haven't noticed this at all. I'm actually surprised how well it does work.
Even added in the unarmed perks add-on along with a tweaked version of the best friend whistle, both from oldrim, and they work as expected as well.
:shrug:

My laptop is too lovely to run the Special Edition, but my understanding is that most of the broken perks are in the Illusion tree, the ones that involve summoning ghost animals.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Is this for special edition. It's been a few months since I played and haven't kept up the news. Last I remember progress had stalled for the SE SKSE.

Alternatively: Is there a more organic way to get more perk points on leveling up than just converting dragon souls? I love Ordinator, but holy poo poo, do I need more perks unless I hyper specialize.

Skyrim Uncapper let's you edit perks per level in precise detail. You can double or halve perks per level, or some variation therein, change perk gain by level (normal perk for the first ten levels, only 6 perks over the next ten, then 1.5 perks per level after that).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

/\ is that easy enough for an idiot to use, because I am bad at computers.

The bounty seems better, so long as I exercise self restraint. I just want to be able to dabble without locking me out of some higher level perks.

It's a simple text file that you edit, google a guide if you want to make other edits, but just for perks it should be very easy to do what you want

This is what I used to understand how it worked, linked to the part about perks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/queer_queenie/status/939268424932376576

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

This is not the thread for this sort of thing.

You're right, it was related to Bethesda and I thought it was both horrifying and funny like a lot of mods, but there are other threads for this type of thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Randaconda posted:

I've restarted so much I've added those three mods that add shortcuts from Dragonkeep to Bleakfalls, the Greybeards, and the dungeon you get the horn from since after running through them 40 times to get all three words of Fus Do Rah I was mighty sick of them.

Link please? I've been thinking about restarting.
Is there one that eliminates most of the dialog from when you first meet the Greybeards? I'd loving rather run up the mountain again than deal with all that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Pretty sure that just won't happen until you visit Solstheim. I've spent like hundreds of hours having never touched Solstheim across various characters, and never once been told to go there beyond the DB quest line. After you visit, bets are off.

The Fighter's guild tried to send me their to clear out a bandit cave before I went there, I was using a mod to increase the rewards for bounty quests so it might be related to that (only mod I could think of that might affect it).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

In some cases its just because Bethesda doesn't wanna accommodate for writing dialogue for the player's actions. Maven Black-Briar is mentioned constantly in Riften and obviously killing her would change a lot. Even if it changed nothing in the game beyond dialogue that alone would require them to write and record a bunch of new lines for tons of NPCs. So they look at that and just decide to...not bother. It sucks but they figure its not worth doing all that work to accommodate a choice very few players will make (though I think a lot of people would pursue this option if it was available because she's such an awful person).

Game would probably be a lot better if Bethesda was forced to write around every character being a possible kill, but that takes a lot of work.

It's not even because they'd have to write around it, it's because they'd have to get voice actors for it. Making the decision to have every line of dialog voice acted seriously limits what you can do in an RPG in terms of player choice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Bee posted:

Are there any reccomended dragon mods? I notice Deadly Dragons isn't in the OP anymore, despite another mod's description mentioning it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5518/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

axeil posted:

I wish Bethesda was less terrified of people breaking their precious ~*narrative*~ and just let you kill anyone and if you gently caress up the quests, welp, that's your fault.

Isn't that how the old Elder Scrolls games used to work?

Yeah, in Morrowind no one was marked essential and if you killed the wrong person you'd get a pop up saying something like "you've unravelled the threads of fate" but you could keep playing, and if you had enough meta knowledge you can still beat the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vavrek posted:

And in Daggerfall, you could fail the main quest by forgetting to read a letter for a couple weeks!

(I think. I never played much of Daggerfall.)

Daggerfall has a bunch of ways to fail the main quest without trying, that's one of them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cargohills posted:

This might be a bit crazy but I think it's probably a good idea when releasing a game with mass market appeal to make it so that you can't accidentally make the game unbeatable. Just a thought.

I think the Morrowind approach is a decent happy medium. Or design your game in such a way that you don't need to put an essential flag on a random racist several people want to kill on principle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Randaconda posted:

I wonder how many of the things we bitch about regarding Skyrim is because of consoles.

80-90%

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Morrowind was on the Xbox, Invisible War was a lazy game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Psion posted:

Don't worry, whatever character you rolled is likely an excellent stealth archer

The farthest I've ever got in the main plot was with a 2 handed weapon/heavy armor using character. There's an odd a satisfaction in just smacking a draugh in the face with a giant sword.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aeric posted:

Decided to fire up Oldrim again after reading about the DX9 fix for Windows 10's insider track. So I decided to try my luck with SnapDragon ENB, Noble Skyrim, and a bunch of other miscellaneous mesh and texture tweaks that'd previously choke up my game, and it's been surprisingly stable so far.

That's a magnificent purple cock.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Cool post Zeron.

Inasmuch as pretty much no one who heavily mods Skyrim is still playing Oldrim at this point, maybe an updated or new OP is in order?

It took months for them to make the current OP, and some people have lovely old computers that can't run SE.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That is heartbreaking.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to make catching a butterfly instead give you a "Butterfly in a Jar" item...

(Never mind that Butterfly Wings of both kinds are some of the most useful alchemy ingredients, so are Luna Moths...)

I would think it'd be super easy to change the name and icon to "X butterfly in a jar" from X butterfly wing, but it'd likely create conflicts with other mods that change alchemy and also if you're using live butterflies in alchemy recipes I'm not sure how your square that with the same problems someone has killing them in game in the first place.

Fake Edit: add an animation where it flies around you after making a potion similar to when Link uses a fairy in Zelda games. Holy poo poo I fixed this non-existent problem but have no ability to implement it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Actually, my solution was to create a new item that used the butterfly in the jar models, then a script to automatically add one every time you caught a butterfly.

Even funnier idea: Create one-winged butterfly models!

Yeah, but what happens to the butterfly when you use it to create the potion? Hence my Zelda thingie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

Maybe there's a way to make butterflies act like mineral nodes. Harvest the butterfly for some item that replaces the wing ingredient, sunshine or kisses or something.

Changing X Butterfly Wing to X Butterfly Kiss seems appropriate. Again though, wouldn't that mess with other mods that affect alchemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Idk, legally agreeing that you have no ownership of your mods in an official agreement with Bethesda is probably worth a lot in court.

Until it gets tested in court no one really knows, a bunch of modders start when they're under 18, and you can't enforce illegal clauses in a contract. If I'm not a modder or gamer and don't understand Bethesda's UELA, but am a musician who gives a fan explicit permission to use my song in their mod as long as there's no money involved and I get credit, does Bethesda now own my song?