Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Outrail posted:

I wish people would stop getting the thread closed.

Here's to 5000 years of poo poo posts and awkward trip reports.

Are people being mad about Haier? Or is it something new this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

ded posted:

Have some .jpg from Pinghu.

Reposting this lifehack to pinterest! Thanks!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Haier posted:

I took this for the nonbelievers.

Also, there are air raid sirens going for 10 minutes now and nobody knows why. Is this to remember the national day of humiliation?

They're activating the metal gears.

Fojar38 posted:

rip haier

Rest Well, Sweet Prince.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

"“It’s like a head that’s lost its nose and ears,” said Mr. Liu, who has spent 15 years studying that section of the wall. Once the towers there had stone carvings, but they had fallen to the ground before the repairs, he said.

“They didn’t restore the carvings back to where they belonged and just tossed them aside,” Mr. Liu said. “They used new bricks to fill in the original spots, and that saved a lot of expense.”"

Fifteen years of studying this piece of history, and they loving wrecked it. Can't wait to see this on a future cracked dot com '5 times historical monuments were destroyed' article.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Y3Rw773Ok
Oldie but goodie. CCTV building burns down. Skip to about 5 minutes to see glittery smoke

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm so tired of Higher discussion. Is there nothing happening in China that is interesting? I'm mean y'all so hyped about his plungscapades I half think y'all wanna hop on his dick.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Honestly? Great idea. Crossing streets must be so hazardous that it would be good to have a literal bumper [car] around your person. It's very clever and should be replicated across the world.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This looks cool, but what are they doing?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Getting baked with pot.

poo poo yeah high fives dude!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

http://wildaid.org/news/breaking-news-china-announces-domestic-ivory-ban

quote:

BEIJING (30 December 2016) — The end of the world’s largest ivory market was announced today by the Chinese government as it released a detailed timetable for ending its legal ivory trade. Domestic ivory sales will be banned by the end of 2017 with the first batch of factories and traders to close their business by 31 March 2017.

Last year, President Xi Jinping made a public commitment to phasing-out the ivory trade, which may be falling out of favor with Chinese consumers. A recent survey by the conservation group Save the Elephants reported that ivory prices in eight mainland Chinese cities had fallen by half in a two-year period ending December 2015. Anecdotal evidence gathered by WildAid campaigners in China indicates prices may have decreased further this year: Market inquiries in May 2016 found raw ivory prices of around $450 to $900, representing a decrease of 57% to 78% compared with a2014 high of $2,100 per kilogram in mainland China. A ban was first proposed to the National People’s Congress by former NBA star, Yao Ming, who also led documentaries on ivory trade for state broadcaster CCTV in partnership with WildAid.

WildAid CEO Peter Knights said, “China’s exit from the ivory trade is the greatest single step that could be taken to reduce poaching for elephants. We thank President Xi for his leadership and congratulate the State Forestry Administration for this timely plan. We will continue to support their efforts through education and persuading consumers not to buy ivory.”

With China’s announcement, international attention is now shifting to Japan, which voted against all CITES proposals to protect elephants and has insisted its trade is not tainted by illegal ivory. However, a recent report by the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) found that the nation’s elephant tusk registration system widely allows for poached tusks smuggled from Africa to be sold legally in the domestic market.

“Japan is the last man standing as a major legal destination for ivory.” Knights said. “If Japan joined the global community on this we could consign the abuses of the ivory trade to history.”

The international commercial ivory trade was banned in 1989, following a decade of out-of-control poaching that decimated African elephant populations from 1.3 million in 1979 to an estimated 609,000 by the late 1980s. As a result of the ban, poaching decreased significantly and ivory prices plummeted. But a "one-off" sale of ivory in 2008 and the legal domestic trade in places such as Hong Kong, China, Thailand, Vietnam and the US have allowed for the laundering of illegal ivory shipments from recently poached elephants.

Why do I get the feeling it's all talk and no action? It would be nice to positively affect elephant poaching though. I also get the feeling they want to shift faceloss to Japan, but that's just me.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

"Some provinces now give free medicine to people with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and other conditions. "
http://www.economist.com/news/china/21715701-sufferers-are-routinely-treated-danger-society-china-wakes-up-its-mental-health

I'm just suddenly reminded of my grandmother, who only takes her pills when she thinks she needs them to work their pill magic that very day and no othertime. She's had a reoccuring infection for over a year now.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

World war three starting out spectacularly underwhelming :(

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Day AQI 119 $1000 Dollars of uselessness

Another throw back is White Rabbit candy. While I can get these in New Zealand, I couldn't help but get them as the ones I got are packaged in a giant White Rabbit wrapper.

gently caress YES this poo poo is so good. I have to stuff the bag in a tall, out-of-the-way cabinet lest I hork the whole thing in one go. That and those CNY candies in the shiny red and gold wrapping. And Haw flakes. And botan candy. I might have to go shopping now....

Anyways, thank you for these write ups. It's interesting to see life in another place.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Stop the posts. No more posts.

No. More posts. All the posts. Fuel this thread with the posts

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

this is why duty free poo poo is so massive every time i am flying back to china. there's like bags upon bags of poo poo and it's all poo poo you can get in tianjin or shanghai but you gotta bring it from JAPAN!!!

Assuming it's all the same packaging, surely you can just buy local and give it to others saying it's 'from Japan/HK/other' to gain maximum face? Have I discovered face gain grinding in real life?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Was it in this thread or another that someone's co workers were streaming video of a goon simply working at a desk job via some app, and getting tips out of it? Whatever happened to that? Did the goon ever get a cut of the code money?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What is in Hefei?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

if you want an ice coffee just get a regular coffee and a cup of ice. they cost the same but you can almost get two full iced coffees out of your hot coffee because the ice takes up so much space. good tip if you're chilling in Starbucks for a summer afternoon getting work done or reading or w/e.

Don't do this on a date

It was a Starbucks barista that first pointed this out to me <3

You realize you can simply get a refill of a tall ice coffee for fifty cents, right? Provided you have a receipt or have been sitting in front of the baristas the entire time. Also do tip something if you do this otherwise you look like a loving cheapska

because we're cheap. that's the whole point

oh. Well, aside from that being a problem, tip to avoid spit in your refill!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

They're not red pill in their own bad way?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Someone itt explain how a person can clip their nails with a nail clipper for nearly an hour straight.

It shouldn't be possible, there couldn't be any nail left at the 10 minute mark. And why do they wait until they're on the bus to do so

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

serious norman posted:

What bus takes an hour

A bus that gets caught in weekend traffic AND a car accident in the middle of an intersection so that cops gotta do their arm wavy nonsense to tell idiot dummies to stop staring at the ambulance and loving drive on.

But no worries no one died, afaik. It's merely driving with various Asian characteristics and lack of a brake pedal.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Imperialist Dog posted:

Can we hook this guy up with coins in jet engine grandma

https://twitter.com/SCMP_News/status/934055304865701888

I thought that had said 'monkey' at first, and did not even question why the gently caress an old man was feeding monkies to tigers, or why he had monkieies in the first place.

Why he give money to tiger tho? Are they going to kill the tiger and therefore dead tiger will bring paper money to dead grandma?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

We do need immigrants to sustain our growth, we're trending towards a negative birth rate

You people don't know how to make gently caress? :confused: Like I could teach you but I'd have to charge.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

big time bisexual posted:

watch the wei guan develop in real time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhbA0WKv77k

edit: getting a 403 on the direct link now; rehosted

:3: he's like a lil cockatiel bird! Looks at a car, screams, and then starts destroying it!

Also, I'm the cop who looks at my watch wondering how long this 'being shown evidence' bullshit is going to take.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

If you don't earn at least six figgies you're not allowed to post or quote ITT :laffo:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

big time bisexual posted:

naked man in shanghai beats a traffic cop with a shoe

:nws: https://imgur.com/a/MOBFo :nws:

Ah, the infamous cigarette lighter. No wonder the ladies liked Haier. :rimshot:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The snail cream is just made with snail slime, I think...

I think? the snails are kept in cages with a seize floor that's electrified so they produce more mucus to be harvested. So yeah the more expensive and legit brands probably have snail fluids in them. It's not cruelty free as far as I understand it. I'm still not fully sold until I see some scientific studies not produced by the companies selling the products. I am glad people are getting a positive impact from using such creams!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Cry Havoc posted:

would you rather fight a boar or a bear

Is the bear a top or a bottom? This is important to factor in.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Minecraft with China aspects.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Morning commute: older chinese couple gets off bus and immediately stops right out side the site looking around. His wife doors the same. Then after minute of being shoved passed by passengers they todder towards the left where other bus stops are. He trips over a black homeless man's belongings, almost over a little girl kneeling to tie her shoes, and a loaf of bread pigeons are conquering. His wife fares much better as she is merely orbiting around him.

Then he wanders right towards other bus stops and stays there.

I can't tell if he is completely clueless or a master of Face. I only thought to type this up because he looks exactly like Kermit the frog doing that pursed lip 'oh really?!?!?' face. It's uncanny.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

are there any photos or anything?

Afaik no. They can't figure out how to uproot and excavate everything without causing a natural disaster unleashing mercury everywhere, and refuse to ask for help in excavating. Plus they wouldn't be able or want to prevent looters from destroying and carrying off everything.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Chinese-born YouTube star might be going to prison for being a massive oval office.

So.... wait. Was the crime bribing a homeless person for e their silence? Because feeding elderly and chikdren cat poo poo seems more dangerous ans criminal. Both have poor immune systems and all that.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

From this month's National Geographic magazine article about bird fossils...

quote:

At the China National GeneBank in Shenzhen, scientists are using faster, more precise techniques to churn out drafts of entire genomes for all living bird species by 2020. Their work should help researchers not only understand living birds but also to match useful traits in fossil animals to those in the animals' living descendants.

I want to give the benefit of the doubt, but the 2020 makes be believe in the worst. 2020 huh? Just churning out entire genomes, faster better stronger preciser drafts of bird genomes. Ok. ok.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

China really does not deserve the benefit of the doubt with regards to those sorts of bold claims at this point.

Keep in mind I transcribed that exactly. They really put down 'faster and more precise', though I'm not sure what that is compared to. Other genome drafting?

Mistle posted:

Someone will eventually run their own bird genomes and if any discrepancies happen, the sheer face loss...
What's expat money on? Rogue scientists, blaming the disputed findings finder, or "no why, not wrong" excuse?

I put money on blaming the scientists who worked on the project, promises they will be punished for misleading the world with bad data, and nothing will come of it. Assuming this even comes to light.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

So a lady I know was telling me about how back in China she had a pet duck that was super smart and house trained and could follow some basic commands. She said it was a special type of duck they locally called a Canton duck. A red crown, red feet, and a blue and green body. Large, almost goose sized.

Google is not helping me find any pictures of this bird. Searching for canton duck only gives food pictures, anything china and duck related generally only gives food pictures and info. Does anyone know what species of duck this was? This would have been in a rural-ish area outside of HK.

You sure it was blue and not purple? There's a bird similar to that on this page: http://www.danheller.com/santa-barbara-zoo.html

Scroll down for 'purple bird with red crown' Not sure if it's a duck though. You might have to ask pet island, if there's anyone left posting in PI. Otherwise it could be a mutated duck. Not a joke about pollution, that sort of thing happens.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

You know people get cosmetic surgery for their expensive and rare Arowana fish. Maybe they were dyeing a duck with pigments to make it pretty and rare looking.

Speaking of, how truthful is this book? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25987033-the-dragon-behind-the-glass

It goes on about arowana's being collectors items and rich asian people showing them off. Is that really a thing? Or maybe it's more south asian than china.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The only way to drink tea is to blast it into your anal cavities. Trust me, I watch a lot of Caucasian Beauty Vloggers and Entrepreneurs[TM]. There's nothing better than a revitalizing anal slurp of Ginger Bergamot Energizer purchased from David's Teas! Buy some here*!

*disclosure policy: I may or may not be getting kickbacks if you click through that link and/or make a purchase. Please click that link. Please.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Considering Chinese people don't trust china grown food products, is it much of a stretch that they don't trust sunscreen? It tends to be expensive, and I can' imagine that foreign made and purchased sunscreen is costly. Much easier to huddle in the shade. Plus if everyone else is doing it, you must also huddle.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I can't stop laughing at Pink Shirt doing the splits Jesus Christ that's a scene from Elf movie

These stairs are protected by the Katamari. Pak Chooie Unf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Why do I get a vague feeling it's going to be an arms race to pump out as many sons as possible? More sons means healthy sperm and maximum face gain. I didn't see anything about sex education in that article, so I assume people aren't going to get help on learning about birth control or how to have a healthy pregnancy.

• Locked thread