Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Red Letter Media is almost as bad as the Israeli occupation of Palestine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Relin posted:

what movie is the shot of the moon with the mirrored guy in it from in the montage near the end of the review

Survival of the Dead is better than the Israeli occupation of Palestine

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ready Player One is worse than the Italian Occupation of Algeria

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

was the Battle of Britain better or worse than the Israeli Occupation of Palestine

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zzulu posted:

plseae stopp talking about star wars!!

Im so tired of the star wars!!

i CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE

why are you in the starwarsnerdsbitchforeverinavideo thread then

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

HoAssHo posted:

You could see Dunkirk? I've heard good things and I'm going tonight. I feel like even if you're not a big Christopher Nolan fan, you kinda can't argue that he doesn't make good films. Like, there's some dumb stuff in Interstellar (and Interception) but it's objectively well-made and entertaining for most of its runtime. All of his movies are.

dark knight rises is a terrible movie

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yug posted:

Wrong. It gave us the single best scene in cinematic history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPu9o9x99Ig

yeah i guess thats the best, if your an idiot who is wrong

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ching chong chinaman --richevans

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I saw TDK 5 times in the cinema which is crazy when I think about it now but I was so so disappointed coming out of Rises. Dunno what it was specifically but it didn't feel anywhere near as well written.

yeah, i saw tdk in cinema and then went back and watched it on IMAX, which was cool as hell

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

a star war betamax posted:

The only good film noir is one that is completely "noir" because I've turned the television off...........

i hope sum1 pushes ur wheelchair down the stairz

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I mean sure, if your film "needs" color to be good then it probably sucks, but if your movie rules in black and white then it'll be even loving better in color so just do it in color.

cat people would be worse in color, hth, you idiot, you retard,

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Then that means it doesn't need color so it's a good movie. You idiot, you retard.

King Vidiot posted:

if your movie rules in black and white then it'll be even loving better in color so just do it in color.

hmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

1982 to 1999 is the probably the most agreed upon timeline. We're well into the next generation, and they don't even have a cool name that aging GenXers to poo poo all over.

Lets call them Spinners

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vakal posted:

Fury Road is the only movie released in the last decade that I was legitimately excited to watch.

Maybe watch more drama and documentaries you loving philistine idiot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lol at the stupid fucker who thinks Act of Killing wasn't a good movie lmao

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vastarien posted:

I like how in the miniseries when family first arrives at the hotel you can clearly see the whole loving film crew reflected in the glass of the front doors. lol

I like that visionary director mick garrett decided to depict the spooky topiary that move when you're not looking by having a bunch of cgi bushes move around on screen

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Razputeen posted:

there's a lot of talk about how cinema discusso has threads with hundreds of replies about stuff like pacific rim, warcraft, Beavis Dodge, etc, but comparatively nothing about films that do not fit roughly under the category of nerd pop-culture flotsam. the assumption is that this is because they are dork morons who only watch these kinds of movies, and there's some truth to that, but it's more that they have only one technique with which to Critically Analyze film, and it is: What If The Good Guys Are Actually Bad. (there's also What If The Bad Guys Are Actually Good but it's really the same thing.)

tony stark is bad, the ghostbusters are bad, the new republic is bad, batman is bad. any given thread has this as its main argument, along with smaller arguments that exist solely to bolster the main argument (battle droids are people and therefore the jedi destroying them makes the jedi Bad). it's possible to write an interesting story telling events from the antagonist's perspective, but that's just it, a different story. it's not the same thing as the story we're being told.

it's easy to say iron man is Bad because he's a Weapons Contractor. those are Bad in real life. in real life, however Weapons Contractors don't personally put on battle suits and save the earth from being enslaved by aliens. that part is generally ignored because it collapses the point. worse, when there is a coherent case to be made that the movie has a reactionary political message - the latter two Dark Knight films - these elements aren't criticized as being inaccurate propaganda, but rather evidence of how the protagonist is Really Bad. because they ignore the stuff that doesn't fit, their argument boils down to batman is Bad because he used illegal surveillance, without considering that this story is entirely fictional and lots of people are going to look at it and say yes, batman used illegal surveillance, but nobody got hurt and it saved thousands of lives from an insane murderer. rather than criticizing the film for portraying the choice in this way, they prefer to praise it for its subversive message of portraying the hero as Bad even though nobody else sees it that way and it requires ignoring the practical consequences of his actions in the fictional story.

because the actions of the heroes and villains don't particularly matter except when they can be crammed into this framework, they can find themselves saying the Heroes are Bad in any circumstance including the villains killing billions of people on a whim and the heroes trying to stop them, but they really enjoy films where the Villains are Sympathetic and the Heroes are Flawed for this reason, as it makes their job a lot easier, which is why they're still so keen to jump on defending any given zach snyder fever dream where batman rapes guys in prison. but really they find it hard to apply this framework - again, their only framework- to movies where there aren't Heroes or Villains or to where the protagonist is supposed to be flawed and suffers consequences for their flaws. they have no real way to talk about these films so they are not discussed. i am gay.

no it really is that they're all massive nerds, shut the gently caress up you loving idiot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wall Balls posted:

i got jay in 25 after answering "probably" to him being gay

the final question was if he wears socks

???

i dont actually know if jay wears socks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

People who say frig aren't people

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Juicy Shaq Meat exists in spite of Josh.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tejVykfuF7o
Look at him trying to seriously discuss that bullshit cannibal movie, while one of the funniest RLM moments happens.

I think in that one specific case it's funny because they're trying to ignore him blandly explaining a film, but it would have been even better if they turned down his audio over time as he drones on, for comedic effect. Or fired him, whatever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Yes that was it. It was super weird and had a really unique style of ultra elongated characters with super defined facial features. The creator did a pretty cool segment of the animatrix too.

Also tons of weird sex stuff.

Also reign the conquerer

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Fans of the Preacher comic say the same thing about its show, and all that does is make me think I'm better off just not reading the books that TV shows and movies are based off of. Like I'm not more inclined to read the comics or books now, I'm just going to watch the show or movie and enjoy it on its own.

Actually no wait that's dumb, because Hannibal the TV show is way, way different than the Thomas Harris books and it was still a good show.

V idiot indeed lmao

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Command Ant posted:

The movie theaters that aren't dying are the ones that can afford to copy the Alamo Drafthouse. They serve actual meals and beer alongside snacks, have recliners instead of seats, and provide lounges and bars you can hang out in before and after the movie. They have theme nights and play classic and niche movies along with the current releases. They have to make it more of an experience than just walking in, seeing the movie, and leaving, otherwise they really would cease to exist.

also most people can't afford a giant screen in their house

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

auzdark posted:

I'm not sure where you guys are going, but I saw Logan at a theater in London, Whitechapel for £5 and got popcorn and drink for £4.50 because that's what you do - around $USD12 all up. Pick your days? don't most places have a 'specials' day or something?

a ticket to a movie here is 12 dollars

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Eh, no. I'm sorry but the argument around representation is some super hollow poo poo coming from the fully represented.

I mean, Finn was played by John Boyega, but diversity wasn't even the main reason. He's black because that way when he gets clowned on by rest of the cast in nearly every scene he's in, the majority white audience laughs instead of going "hmm, people sure do like being a dick to Finn."

literally the only thing i remember about john boyega in star wars is the scene where a storm trooper takes off his helmet and its john boyega in star wars

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

apparently star wars 7 was completely uninteresting, because i saw it twice and still barely remember it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Remember when the internet was full of people getting mad that there was a black stormtrooper?????

Like wow guys what a non-loving-controversy to get worked up about. Have at least a LITTLE self awareness that it will make you sound super fuckin racist.

"Full" of people, no. This is like when THE WHOLE INTERNET WAS MAD AT FEMALE GHOST BUSTERS and it was, you know, some people. Some people. Not many

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Remember how awesome Phasma is? Cool badass armor! Does absolutely nothing! Goes out like a punk and thrown in the garbage, can possibly dead, off screen!

She truly lives up to the legacy of Boba Fett

I actually forgot phasma existed until you said that. This isn't a wacky joke, I just genuinely forgot she was a character who was in a movie that I saw

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

If it is, this is insanely shallow comeback. Minority representation in films has been happening for decades in cycles because cultural flows backward from culture. Representation doesn't matter all that much. Women guards sexually assaulted and tortured people at Abu Ghraib, PoC executive lead to some of the largest labor crack downs in McDonald's history and amazingly racist practices, and most importantly Blade making a poo poo ton of money didn't do much for the average PoC actor or worker behind the scenes. Hollywood is a meat grinder and fast food joint rolled into one.

Woke Nerds are the worst. You complain about nerds for consumerism and apologia but forgive and forget when the new, insanely disingenuous billboard promotes values that placate your conscience and enables you suspension of disbelief. No Vietnamese sweat shop worker gives a poo poo whether she's making a Batman or Wonder Woman shirt. A PoC comedy show that a cop is a fan of isn't going stop him from blowing away an unarmed black man. The only people who benefit are mostly rich, white people. A few women or PoCs here or there to be fair, as to help the other board members sleep at night. Buying a movie ticket to a 100 million dollar production isn't activism.

Buy Ecto-Cooler to stick it to the trolls.

what if i dont buy any of those things

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also what kind of loving loser wears a comic book shirt lmao, loving take it off and then jump off a loving building please

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

i think if you're reading this thread you are at the very least paying money to see movies made by hollywood

nah

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gently caress arrival. It's the pilot of deep space nine only done much worse

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

Wait so is there rad cardassians in arrival?

There's an equivalent but they're much less rad because like I said it's much worsw

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

What the hell.

I get making an Emoji movie for kids. Keep the cost reasonable. Sell some lunch boxes. You've made some money. Betting the farm on it? That's a whole other level of insanity.

Kids love the smartphones right? They love text people and tweet

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

If the 2016 Ghostbusters was its own movie and didn't try to be Ghostbusters, people probably would have generally liked it.

wrong, idiot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vaguido posted:

I don't know why anyone thought adding a gimmick to the remake was going to change anything. No one bought into Robocop and I'm sure half of this thread forgot there was a Total Recall remake. None of these work because people who saw the originals don't need a remade version and the people who haven't seen it don't give a poo poo. They tried to remake Annie with a gimmick (black cast) and I completely forgot that existed before watching the Plinkett review.

Also I feel kinda bad calling changing gender/race of previously established characters a "gimmick" but that's basically how Sony is using these changes as.

it's weird because in the movie's actual plot its not even really important that they're women. like the college guy doesnt trust them because he... thinks ghosts aren't real. it has nothing to do with their vaginas.

if it were a normal movie, or hell, just a normal reboot, that'd be fine because, whatever, they just cast a bunch of funny people. the plot of alien 1 doesn't require ripley to be a woman and i don't really even remember scenes mentioning it; you could more or less do the same movie with a guy (not that I think it would be as good or anything, because sigourney weaver is fantastic, but you get my point). apart from a couple poo poo jokes, for how they marketed it you'd think it would, you know, actually be a thing that affects stuff rather than just an excuse for people not liking your trailer.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

like for example, in ghostbusters bill murray is always hittin on ladies and exploiting them, especially in the opening where he's just faking everything so he can get laid. you could maybe do jokes about that character by switching the genders? except they don't do that at all?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why did anyone have to be a venkman and an egon and a ray

why didnt they just write a different fuckin script

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

it should have been the broad city+garfunkel and oats ladeys and billy eichner should have been in thor's role

Key and Peele present: Ghostbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

vermin posted:

The catbags out of the cat's bagcat now

cagbagcatbagg

We need to put the cat back in the bag because it's out of the bag right now and we want it, the cat, to be back in the bag

• Locked thread