Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

Ah yes, the tech industry. Where the reaction to "my coworkers are sending me anonymous hate mail about my husband" is to question whether you should do anything :(

My [32 F] coworkers are teasing my because my husband [25 M] of four years is younger. What should I do?Non-Romantic

Am I not fully caffienated yet or does this math not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Soup du Journey posted:

"of four years is younger", not "is four years younger"

Yep, more coffee is necessary.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ride The Gravitron posted:

They actually say this

I mean I'm totally in the neighbors side but gently caress I'd rather see the dogs taken away than debarked

"Livestock" on their 3.5 acres that fails to profit enough for the court to consider it worthy of a farm exemption.

Yeah, lovely ruling but they are also lovely people for thinking this is at all okay on a property that small with neighbors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pick posted:

Oh you poor rear end in a top hat

quote:

For her 16th birthday she skipped the party and had her parents take her to a Edward Jones and start an investment portfolio.

Poor financial decisions at 16. Edward Jones is a ripoff. Beep bop boop.

:sever:

Oh yeah, and the sociopath thing too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

My gf [25F] of 4 yrs will break up with me [27M] if I don't suck up thousands $$ to buy her a ring

What is the collectible item, taking all bets

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

Just tell them that you want to date both.

But only simultaneously.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Just for the sake of argument, what exactly did you expect for them to do with their farm animals?

If it's something where they can't make it in their field/field will be destroyed you put them in a stock trailer; drive them to safety. This is how people who rely on their animals for income (i.e. actual farmers) handle it.

I did this for all of the horses at the barn I used to own (I boarded other people's horses) when the area I was in flooded after being whacked with 2 hurricanes. I knew people further inland with farms/fields and most of them were more than happy to help. Horses go in trailer with all the feed and supplies I could fit, drive them 10 hours inland, drop them off in a field. Bring them back once the poo poo was over and the barn/fields were once again safe to have them there.

I was able to rent an RV and send the girl who fed/turned out/picked stalls for me and her family to stay on that farm for a couple weeks and boy were they happy to have a place to go (lived in a trailer, hurricane coming, nowhere to go/no money to do it etc.....always bad).

So....yeah....there are ways to deal with this. Ways that cost money, but that's the responsibility you take on when you're caring for animals professionally or as a hobby.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

I also work at non-profits, so I'm "helping lazy people."

Thread title?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if she's not making you cook it why the gently caress do you care, aunt's made it as clear as possible that it's not a dig at your cooking or anything she's just a nut

Chomp8645 posted:

lol @ at husband and father that won't break their "no sweets" or atkins diet stuff on loving Thanksgiving.

Hot take: OP sucks at cooking and nobody wants to eat the unsavory and/or unsanitary poo poo she's shoveling.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dudeness posted:

My [19 F] Gf will only accept Disneyland as a bday present when I [26 M] already took her and I don't want to go again

JFC stop dating people you need to sneak into a bar by WELL before the time you (should have) finished undergrad.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the worst part of that story is that those spoilers on the ages were actually needed, there are way too many 35+ people going to disney theme parks regularly

like if you're in a disney park on a regular basis and you're a childless adult you are a fuckin weirdo, and nostalgia is not a good enough excuse, nothing is

That is one of the weirdest things. I don't understand any of that poo poo. Weddings at Disney? Disney cruises - for ADULTS who aren't bringing children? WHY?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

These things exist for the same reason people eat at McDonald's in Italy. They know they're going to get something they like with no surprises and with a certain standard of quality.

I have no nostalgia for Disney parks. I was never taken to one as a child. The first time I was obligated to go to one I was 25 and I was certain it would be a miserable, hot, long lined, over-capitalist nightmare. My wife and I had no kids and there were no kids in our party.

I was wrong.

The first thing I want to mention is that DisneyLAND and Disney World are entirely different beasts. At Disneyland it is feasible to just pop in for a few hours, grab a snack, ride a thing, and pop back out. Disney World you're committing at least 3/4 of your day or your wasting your time. Also, Disneyland has more attractions than all of Disney World's four parks put together in a space smaller than Disney World's Magic Kingdom. Also, Disneyland has alcohol. (Well, California Adventure, but it's right there)

Anyway, the main thing I was not expecting in any of the parks was the attention to detail in the theming. It didn't make me feel like I was in the jungle, but it made me feel like I was in what 1950s people thought the jungle was like, if that makes any sense. The food, if you do the research (I always do) is good). The lines aren't that bad if you have a plan and get there at opening. It's really the feelings though.

The haunted mansion is a genuinely spooky haunted house. It isn't scary or frightening or horrifying. It's spooky and fun.

The jungle cruise is a feast of animal-themed dad jokes and every skipper has their own selection and delivery. I sometimes ride this three times in a row if the line's short.

Pirates of the Caribbean. I wish to hell I'd been to Disney before they added Jack loving Sparrow to "improve" the ride. Its a cool, enchanting ride that does a good job building an atmosphere until Jack Sparrow takes it away from you.

I like the animals on the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Other things to like:
Dole Whips
Trader Sam's
Beignets/Nutella waffles depending on coast
Fireworks
Parades

Oh. And not having kids means you can take your time and do whatever you want. Sit and people watch. Whatever.

This sounds awful and if I need a Dole whip that bad I will gladly go back to Honolulu to retrieve it from the source. I can find very high quality food both locally and abroad without going to a theme park. Same for basically every last one of your "other things to like".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pick posted:

At least respect fine china, among other things it's materially superior to stoneware.

This is the best post of yours I've seen so far.

We use ours. Because dammit.....why wouldn't you? A lot of it is from places where those ungrateful grandkids dump it for pennies. Some of it is from the family. I prefer the more ugly family stuff more because it has history.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I worked in an American school district up through 2011 and none of the buildings had doors that were locked to prevent exiting the building. I would be pretty surprised if that sort of thing would even be allowed, I think building codes would tend to prohibit that as a potential safety risk in the event of a fire or other need to evacuate the building.

It is trivial to put crash bars hooked up to an alarm on all emergency exits and have a controlled "normal" exit(s) being staffed. This happens all the time.

Source: former code enforcement, currently a computer toucher who works at large data facilities. This is how it's safely and legally done even in WAY higher security environments than schools (seriously.....I have to go through biometric auth man traps and sally ports to get into most of the facilities I do work in).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pick posted:

your children's safety apparently demands less attention than preventing shoplifters from taking a $3 cami at forever21

I know your schtick, but how are you getting that out of what I said? If someone tries to leave through and unmonitored exit an alarm goes off. This is the staff's subtle hint that something has gone wrong and they should probably do something about it in less than 60 minutes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dienes posted:

Wait, you think literally every door in a school has an alarm attached?

They might have a couple designated fire doors with alarms, might. 90% of the doors won't have alarms of any kind in the best-case scenario.

The subtle hint that the staff should do something is the missing body in the room they are supposed to be teaching and interacting with. If you're actually doing your job, you'll notice right away if someone who was there isn't there anymore.

I don't "think" anything in particular about anyplace I don't know. I'm describing what is typical and customary where I live and used to work in this business. Many other places I've been appear to be largely similar if they are in a city or suburb. Much looser in other places where one would presume this is a lot less "necessary."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Me [23F] with my pregnant sister [19F], I can't accept that she won't get an abortion

quote:

is currently training to be a pizza delivery driver

This is something you get TRAINED for these days?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

"fairness" has so, so much less to do with life than people want it to. like this one time: I moved into an apartment where my neighbor was super rude to me right off the bat, and made noise complaints for stuff that didn't happen, and was generally a jerk. know what I did? next time I saw him outside, I asked if he wanted to have a beer on the porch, and while we drank them I asked him what times of day he needed it quiet and said I'd do my best to accommodate them. and guess what? no more problems with that dude. we didn't like become friends, but we were fine neighbors after that.

So the monetary damages you decided were acceptable to solve this at your rental apartment was a 6 pack? I don't think you know anything about owning property and how much damage to value an adverse possession easement will cost you on sale.......if anyone will even buy a property in that state.

Pick posted:

right but I probably would have tried to sell them a strip at the interface they could make a road through. or poo poo even give it to them, juuust wide enough for a vehicle. you can not come out ahead in this situation, it's just a matter of how you come out behind.

Yeah, because that won't take years to fight through the county, tons of time cash to get the plat and titles redone and probably moving a fence. All so you can give away a strip of property. WHAT A VICTORY!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

at the same time though, pet policies for rentals are usually loving ridiculous much like most poo poo landlords do

two miniature, 10 lbs dachshunds in a 2 bedroom apartment that's all cheap laminate? that'll be a grand please, where half is non-refundable due to it being "admin fees", oh and don't forget the $100 extra added to your monthly rent

Sounds like you've never dealt with owning a property that someone brought a pet into. While it goes fine sometimes, most people are incredibly dirty and disgusting and ruin everything, pet or not. This is where the attitude of many landlords come from.

So if you aren't one of those people you should be pissed at the dirt balls that are, not the land lords who are just trying to protect their business to make it profitable.

There are outliers on both sides of this. But what i described is largely the middle and why it happens.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

I could get that if it was all refundable and there was no tacked on monthly bullshit, but come on, that admin fee poo poo is complete bs.

The rest of those "admin fees" and whatever make up for the dirt balls who stop paying their rent while trashing the apartment/house and then cost you several hundred dollars in court fees to legally evict, all the while you are losing your monthly rental on the space for like 2-6 months until the sheriff can legally kick their rear end to the curb, then you have a month of contractors and cash hemmorhage to fix the damage before you can re-list it. So you just lost several YEARS of income on the property not even counting the "admin fee".

Sorry dude.....people are assholes and treat rentals like garbage in general. You get to pay for that more or less, and more if you come into it with red flags of a high risk tenant (like bringing pets).

I'm sorry if you're not that person. But you need to understand the most people are to some extent.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I wasn't sure whether this belonged here or the BWM thread. I'm think it's here:

Help a bride and groom fairly divvy wedding money

quote:

A bride and groom are looking for some third party help figuring out a fair way to divide the gift money to recoup some of the expenses from the wedding. Each has their own bank accounts and spent a good deal of their own money on the wedding. For context, the groom makes twice as much as the bride, and pays the bills (mortgage, city taxes, school taxes, all the utilities, 90% of groceries, etc), and the bride’s income goes toward saving for expensive American medical school. The bride is not from the US, so 80% of the guests were on the groom’s side. One point of contention is the fact that the bride’s family overseas who were unable to attend gave a lot more than those who did attend, and that the money was given for the couple to start their lives together, not to pay for the meals of Americans whose gifts didn’t cover it.
Here are some potentially relevant numbers in case people wanted to ask:
Total cost of the wedding: $21,000
Paid by groom: $7,300
Paid by groom’s parents: $5,450
Paid by bride’s parents: $5,000
Paid by bride: $3,250
There were $425 worth of kitchen item gifts, and $325 of Amazon gift cards, 95% from the groom’s side.
As far as cash gifts, this is how it was divided:
From grooms side: $5136 (65 adult guests)
From bride’s side: $1150 (17 adult guests)
From bride’s family not attending: $2960 (5 families)
So both the bride and the groom want their expenses covered the most fair way possible and feel third party opinions would be the best way to approach it. What do people think is best?

Top comment:

quote:

This is going to be one interesting marriage.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dude needs to stop letting her treat him like a piece of forniture.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lonely Virgil posted:

Well when you are paralyzed in a car accident you'll have a good case against your boss.

Plus a very entertaining court case.

SovCit boss has not created joinder with you or the legal system. He's totally in the clear when you're suing him in admiralty court. Sorry.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Palpek posted:

However, this isn't something you tell your daughter not to marry somebody over, what the hell.

Someone who has such little respect that they smoke in your house, make a ham fisted attempt at covering up damage and then literally bail out without telling your daughter, their supposed fiance?

Every step of this was handled in the most childish and irresponsible manner possible. How do you think this kind of person is going to react when there are actually real problems to address? Or is it okay that their "form of communication" is running away from problems? Literally running away.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm not really up on airsofts or whatever kind of 'realistic looking BB Gun' she's referring to, but those can do some damage or at least ding you up pretty good if you're hit point-blank/close quarters with a pellet from it, yeah?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mirthless posted:

this dude is so repellent to women that he can't get laid as an active duty soldier

think about that for a second

just let it sink in

You don't know many active duty people in this day and age do you? And don't think active duty means soldier. This guy is so 25x it hurts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Jalapeños are scrub tier peppers. Git you in on some ghost action.

Heat is not the only thing that makes a good pepper. Jalapeños are a good all around peppers dammit. Yes, you should have more than just those if you like heat, but most of the ghost/other high scoville unit peppers of late are all heat and no taste at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I would expect this from someone growing up with squat toilets but..........that doesn't seem to be the case.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

My [33M] wife [31F] of 6 years, is upset that I don't wear my wedding band at work.

Holy crap lady, it's literally a safety hazard. I've got a hook on my work bench that my wedding ring goes on before I start welding or using any spinning-machines-of-death. It also comes off if I'm working in a live panel. This is all just common sense.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

My PhD advisor [53 M] is making me [28F] increasingly uncomfortable with borderline romantic gestures/e-mailsNon-Romantic

He gave me his favorite Simon and Garfunkle CD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C1BCAgu2I8

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

You do know the police aren't involved right.

Like you are being awfully smug for not even reading the story to peddle your insane conspiracy theory.

A school is not going to involve the police in their poo poo unless they have to. The fact you don't understand this is puzzling

It doesn't matter if the school is going to use it or not. It will exist and the person receiving it can take it to the police or just file a civil suit. It's most likely to end up the latter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Werong Bustope posted:

My [23M] boss [40sM] is a coroner and it disturbs me that he's affectionate and talks to dead bodies, I'm not sure of what to do?

Hot take: this person watches too much NCIS and is having a vivid fantasy that he's working for Ducky.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

on the one hand you don't want to mandate parental behavior past a certain norm

You don't need to mandate the behavior. Just don't treat assault as "a okay!" if it's a parent doing it to a child. Simple. Laws already on the books.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pick posted:

They're constantly trying to get me to liquidate the only collection of mine I really, deeply care about (taxidermy). Luckily they can't identify most of it so they can't resell most of it themselves.

Pick, I'm late to this thread but please tell me you actually have a taxidermy collection and that it includes things like this:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There was someone ten or twenty pages ago when I was catching up on the thread that said "head over the hills in love" and my went straight to :murder: People getting simple poo poo like that wrong is so annoying.

Don't get all worked up over things like that. It's just water under the fridge.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm sure that's part of the joke here but your neighbor starting a small bee farm doesn't mean they're like swarming your backyard everyday right?

My neighbor 3 doors down keeps bees. It's the greatest thing ever for my garden.

Last year my garden didn't as so well - I found out his hives got diseased and he lost them all. Fortunately he's got more now.

No swarming. Just bees doing bee things, which is rather critical to pollenate more stuff.

ArbitraryC posted:

so dude literally stuck a huge hive 4 feet away from someone else's lawn where the biggest "barrier" is the neighbors own bushes. He proceedes to admit that

the bees attack people within 3 feet of the hive.

If I ever hate any of my neighbors ima totally start beekeeping.

That dude is an rear end and irresponsible. Probably doesn't have enough land to properly keep bees. Nothing like this has ever happened with my neighbors, even the ones living on either side of beekeeper dude. In fact, the guy has the hives actually in his garage, with some tubes to the outside and he's not getting the poo poo stung out of himself walking around his house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

I always think it's weird when people who met when either was 13 or younger end up loving, but I accept that a lot of people seem to think it's fine, or even somehow cute.

Wha? So people who went to school together (like, starting in kindergarten/elementary) growing up and dating/getting married is somehow weird to you? I know at least 4 couples from my graduating class that did this. It's above your age cutoff of weirdness by a little bit, but I dated my wife in high school for a time, only to end up getting back together 7 or 8 years later.

That right down there below this post: :master:

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 23, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

My [34M] fiancée [27F] locks her cat in a small bathroom for 20 hrs daily and drugs the cat to calm it down. I think that's very wrong but it is her cat? I started to think about the engagement or if there is anything wrong with her?Relationships
(self.relationships)

JFC, I rescued 2 cats like that at about a year old. One of them lived to 13, the other one is still going 16 years later. They were INSANE when I first got them as they were convinced they weren't allowed out of the room they were placed in (the laundry room at the old "home").

If you don't want pets don't get pets. How is this hard?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

cats, unlike people, don't hurt you just because they take pleasure in your misery

I guess you've never had a cat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I see a lot of neurotypical people

We prefer the term 'cisneural'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

/r/relationships: It is unlike him to take cocaine

/r/relationships: It is unlike my seaman to take cocaine whilst drinking and banging strippers on shore leave