Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xik posted:

AITA for telling my parents I won't drive my brother to school unless he is more hygienic because his smell literally makes me sick?

the younger brother is less of a freshman than initially thought

This sucks because I was similar to that kid age from 12-13 and didn't get better until some older friends knocked some sense into me and told me to get my poo poo together and stop smelling bad. Seriously using showers, soap&washcloths to scrub, toothpaste, clean clothes, and deodorant needs to be taught in public schools like sexual health class because a lot of people do not learn it at home or don't bother and no one makes them.

The parents not taking a stand is only hurting the younger brother because if you don't set standards and enforce them teen boys will quickly turn into 30 yr man-children who can't even wipe their rear end.

It's ironic that Gabriel Iglesias was a giant fat dude his whole life and talks about going 200% on his hygiene to avoid being the smelly fat guy, and has multiple routines about how much of a hassle it is to convince his teenage son to shower and wear deodorant. It's clearly a big problem even when you care and actively try to help someone like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA For Staging A Public Proposal

"Hey my girlfriend loves watching people end up publicly humiliated in awkward situations, so I decided to do that to her to show my love, why didn't she find it funny?"

He could not have been more tone deaf to the situation then if he was a space alien trying to pretend to be human from watching 70s sitcoms.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

This was an E/N post years ago -- probably too funny to be true, but the OP did post a picture of a massive cheese stash. Dude got diagnosed with lactose intolerance and planned to bring the doctor's note to work to protect himself from being fired for his farts, as if "I'm lactose intolerant but refuse to stop eating cheese" somehow made him a protected class.

For context, it wasn't like a cheese sandwich or slices of brie, that guy was pouring entire jars of cheese sauce over broccoli as a office lunch meal. Like he was gorging himself on cheese at work, ripping disgusting farts, and trying to say that everyone had to put up with it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nastyman posted:

I'm trying to imagine what would motivate me to try to brush off an obvious beating and the simplest solution I can think of is that he's involved in a crime so my money's on got the poo poo kicked out of him over drugs.

Whatever he was doing he really doesn't want to let her know or even make a plausible excuse.

Refusing to get the cops involved isn't inherently sketch, but not even having a "got into a heated fight with a buddy, friends separated us I don't want the cops involved" excuse story reeks of some shady poo poo he got messed up over.

I don't get all the criticism towards her. She expressed serious concerns about what looked like an assault victim and he dismissed her entirely and won't answer any questions about it. Either illegal behavior or male pride so fragile that admitting he got beat up is a huge no go.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ravenkult posted:

Could be something as simple as got his rear end beat by some dude that was road raging and doesn't want to immediately start explaining how he randomly got his rear end beat to his girlfriend right that instant.

"I got into a fight. I don't want to talk about it now."

Anyone who shuts a door to that is an rear end in a top hat, but she didnt indicate it was anything like that, just straight up pretending like nothing is wrong and refusing to say anything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's is only one side of the story after all. There's really no context for exactly those 15 minutes went down. From "cops cant do anything why bother" to "no dont loving call the cops put the loving phone down" there's a lot of possibilities for how extreme it was or wasn't.

Given the relationship dynamic its a lot different from having a family member or long term partner show up like that. Someone you've meet casually barely 10+ times showing up and doing that is probably a lot scarier and confusing them a cousin or something who's regularly in your life.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Mature people don't date fuckups that are 20 years their senior. I'm sure if you pointed that out, Reddit would censor you.

Mature people also don't feel the need to tell everyone how mature they are.

"People my age are so immature" ie people my age wont hang out with me because I constantly look down on them for casual life activities and behavior.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

I thought about doing that thing where i find and post a bunch of stories based around a recent topic of discussion, like Olive Garden in this case. But none of the stories i found would ever come close to this classic case of dumbassery:

AITA for very rarely/almost never wanting to go to restaurants because my girlfriend makes food that's just as good, if not better, than restaurant food?

UPDATE - AITA for very rarely/almost never wanting to go to restaurants because my girlfriend makes food that's just as good, if not better, than restaurant food?

:allears:

I can picture this guy come home, telling her to get ready for their date, and she walks down to him sitting at the table with a knife and fork staring at her expecting a fancy home cooked meal.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Power Khan posted:

Op mentioned that she thought she could quit her job and just concentrate on the pregnancy.

They probably didn't even look at the rules for surrogacy in their country, or check with a lawyer.

I skimmed the wall of text but everyone is making out like this is some informal arrangement between the sisters? How can they go through the process of implanting the fertilized egg in a clinic with tons if legal forms needing to be signed?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for telling my wife she probably shouldn't go to med school?

Waiting until you're 33 with a toddler to engage in the hardest career path in the world.

She did talk to her, and told her "I'm getting rid of it if you can't stop leaving your used sex toy on the counter where all the kids can play with it."

The responses from that are magical. The top result for a while was "Oh, you are becoming a lawyer? Why not just become a paralegal instead, less hours and more time to take care of the kids while your wife starts her 11 journey from no degree to dermatologist? Guess you don't like compromising your dreams for the sake of someone either"

It's pretty insane the amount of people who think "always follow your dreams no matter what" is a good hill to die on.

Apparently despite the hundreds of NTA replies the thread OP was declared the rear end in a top hat.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 16, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If that case where the school gave out laptops, then turned on webcams to monitor the students in their own rooms is any example there is no shortage of people at the management level in education that will readily and openly do something super illegal in violation of a student's privacy/safety/health rights and trumpet their status as a school employee like its a blank check to flout state and federal law.

It's like the joke about teachers, except now its the people who want to manage teachers, and its an extra extreme level of incompetence and stubbornness.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

Worth noting that many of these corporations don’t even allow their own employees to confront a customer about shop lifting unless they personally see it happen or the alarm goes off. Because if you’re wrong, it guarantees that customer is never ever coming back AND is bitching to all their friends losing other customers AND maybe it ends up on the local news.

Having worked retail, I can assure you that if we saw a person in their 70’s acting suspicious, the manager would 100% say this: Oh so we can go shake down grandpa and have his kids raise hell tomorrow because we accused her dear grandpa with mild Alzheimer’s of theft when really he just forgot what he was trying to buy? gently caress no. If the alarm buzzed when he leaves, we’ll deal with it, but your ‘suspicions’ aren’t nearly enough.

Walmart cut loose some associates who were told to charge into the parking lot and chase down a shoplifter who then died. Because their corporate policy explicit says "Do not forcibly stop shoplifters" they fired them immediately and those employees are charged with assault and murder/manslaughter.

It doesn't matter if your boss is screaming at you to tackle a shoplifter, you can't ever take physical action as a store employee to physically restrain someone because whatever happens next no one from the company will support you. Guy falls and breaks an arm, guess who is personally liable and the store's legion of attorneys will make sure to extensively show the court how you violated company policy.

Citizen's arrests are such a white male power fantasy I can't imagine any situation where someone trying to do it actually works and isn't reprimanded by the police and charged with assault and unlawful detainment themselves.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And someone pops up with his knowledge of age of consent laws, of course

This is some Micheal Bay "whip out the Statue of Limitations for your State laminated card" and go on a 5 minute rant about how specifically you are not breaking the law citing sections 1.a and 5.b regarding age of the partners and parental consent.

Literally, any time someone is bring up age of consent it completely flies past them the actual problem people have with the age gaps. Sure, it's legal for a 42 year old man to have a sexual relationship with the 18 year old daughter of his next door neighbor, but the "legality" of it is the least concerning aspect of that situation.

Although, given that there's a post about a 46 women who recently went lesbian dating a 19 year old and everyone in the thread was "No that's unacceptable you are right for calling her weird and creepy" it seems like for some reason reddit has very distinct opinions depending on the genders involved.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/d568jz/aita_for_calling_out_my_mom_on_the_inappropriate/

quote:

My mom is 46 years old and seven years ago she got divorced from my dad and came out as lesbian. She had already begun a relationship with a female friend that lasted for another four years. She was even supposed to adopt that woman's daughter and become her parent, but she unexpectedly left my mom.

Throughout this whole mess, my mom and I maintained a good, healthy relationship and I even loved the woman she dated and her daughter who was a really good kid. I was 14 when they got a divorce and I understood why it had to happen, I wasn't angry. Even my dad got more positive when it was just me, him and my brother, he remained in good relations with my mom.

After a horrible break up, my mom had a really rough time. I could tell it really took a toll on her. She wanted to be alone, so I couldn't be there for her all the time.

Some time later, she told me she met a girl at work. They started dating and my mom drastically changed. She became positive again, she was much happier. I noticed though that she avoided introducing me or my brother or anyone to this girl for a few months. One day I decided to drop by her place when I was heading home. When she let me in, the girl that she's dating was also there. It was her coworker's daughter, who is 19, only two years younger than me. I was so shocked and disgusted that I lost it and started yelling at my mom. I called her out before storming out.

I told my brother about it, who said I was way out of line to say all those things and that it doesn't concern me, because it's legal. But I think my mom has a problem. AITA for confronting her?

Top Response

quote:

NTA this is (borderline) pedophilic. I want anyone who is saying that you’re the rear end in a top hat to argue that if your mom and her girlfriend were both two years younger they’d be okay with it. People are viewing legality as morality.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 17, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

cumshitter posted:

I was looking for it too. From what I remember, she threatened to break up with him and he became aggressive. I think it ended with one of her male friends coming over to help her move and kicking his rear end, getting his nose injured in the process so it looked like Owen Wilson's.

Or that might have been another story.

Its in the replies. He had a huge fit and threatened to break up with her, she said "okay" and he agreed and stormed off. He came back to her and her friend moving her stuff out, attacked both of them, broke the friend's nose, and stormed out in a fury kicking neighbors doors.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

They're both complete idiots.

Its a surprise she didnt leave him in their 20s and it is a huge surprise she hasn't cheated on him.

Its literally 2 completely incompatible people putting up with the other for 2 decades hoping the other changes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

I know that the carpet would be wrecked by paint regardless but lol at a parent of a 4 1/2 year old specifically having white carpet installed

The amount of reddit threads over "I said I am/am not responsible for the actions of a child am I wrong?" is amazing. Its a mix of parent's trying to dodge responsibility for their terrible child or another adult asking if they are expected to be responsible for someone elses child.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Why would you expect a 4-year old, much less a unsupervised 4 year old to come to your open house?

To be honest I was pretty horrified when my mother brought my 4 year old niece over because our house is full of child hazards with expensive breakable items accessible to children.

People love making jokes about child leashes but I've heard stories from people how they use a leash because if they turn away for 1 second their 2-5 year old would full sprint towards a pile of broken glass and dirty needles and jump it it without thinking.

Small children can in the space of 5 seconds either break anything or accidently kill themselves. Saying "oh I just took my eye off for a few minutes" should be evidence of personal responsibilty for the child's action.

Kids breaking things is as old as time and whoever is directly in charge of that child bears primary responsibility.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

He also seems to have this weird idea that anything less than an engraved formal invitation is a personal slight against him. Friends having trouble finding time to get together? Obviously that means they don't want to see him. Girl being kinda vague about a few people coming over to her place? Well she can't possibly want him there, otherwise she'd have been more enthusiastic in her texts. Dude needs to chill, he has a terminal case of "every action people take is directly about me."

Its sort of rooted in a high school mentality, where if you don't hang out with someone for a few weeks clearly you hate them and never want to see then again.

The guy sounds like one of those "I'm so mature for my age" while in High School and now as an adult is regressing and expecting everyone to base their decisions around his feelings and expectations.

He's literally, "all day every day all I run into are rear end in a top hat. Why won't all these people just give me the respect I deserve?" Uh there's kind of a saying about if everyone in your life is rude and disrespectful to you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Imagine taking gun idiots side in that dispute. Hurr he's an adult therefore you have to let him do whatever he wants in your house.

Tribal mentality at work.

"GUNS ARE OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO DEFNED OUR LIVES AND PROPERTY GOVERNMENT BETTER RESPECT IT AND STAY OFF MY LAND"

"I'm not comfortable with you bringing a gun onto my private property"

"HOW DARE YOU TRY TO CONTROL WHAT THIS ADULT MAN DOES WHEN COMING ON TO YOUR PRIVATE PROPERTY GET hosed AND LET HIM DO WHATEVER HE WANTS!"

Its always about protecting liberty and rights until they get aggrieved and then anyone else's liberty and rights dont matter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

Up for debate, as MPD pretty much doesn’t exist. What few cases there have been didn’t just manifest calmly one day at 19, they were in people who had been severely abused their entire lives and had a giant host of other diagnoses which made them incredibly unreliable sources at best.

It didn't exist as a term/concept until the 1950s when one of those "Ripleys Believe it or Not" type shows featured a woman who claimed to have 8 separate distinct personalities.

70 years later its one of those "oh yeah you hear about it all the time its probably true" things.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lol of course that's what reddit laser focused in on
[/quote]

She had a 9 month old son, is currently engaged to a new guy who isnt the father.

Sure it could be innocuous, but best case scenario he started dating her while she was pregnant or they had a 6 month courtship at best before deciding to get married.

Given hes already gone through a messy marriage and divorce maybe rushing into it again with the caveat of "get rid of the animal you love" is a pretty strong recipe for disaster.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

she could've been raped, you know.

That has no bearing on the guy rushing into another marriage when the previous one destroyed him to the point his cat was a major emotional support that his new fiancee wants gone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

"I don't think I can be just friends."
"Ok."
"How did your week go?"
"..."
"YOU BITCH YOU WERE USING ME"

???

Somehow people are conditioned to think that ignoring a text is the worst insult you can possibly give.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for giving harsh conditions that our friend must follow if he wants to move in?.

Guy can't pay his rent and splurges regularly on junk and stuff to impress girls.

How is letting him move in even a discussion? Anyone who would call you an rear end in a top hat the perfect response is "then invite him to live with you"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of my friends and his wife let a person like that move into their spare room. He basically never paid rent and he still owes them thousands of dollars for damages and other things. I’m amazed they didn’t kill him in his sleep and make it look like a pizza and Mountain Dew related heart attack.

Reddit isn't the place for compassion and sympthay but of all the reasons to gently caress someone over and make their life difficult its when they abuse your home and gently caress with your personal space, belongings, food, and rent/mortgage bill. Having lived with varying roommates for 10+ years the quickest way to generate insane levels of anger and rage is to make me uncomfortable in my home.

Been evicted once before because one deadbeat roommate was chronically late on rent (we all paid the landlord individually) and the landlord said gently caress it and was evicting us to rezone the property for business use.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for monitoring my son’s shower time and making him leave the door open?

Edit: I meant “unlocked” in title. Not open.

Me, my wife and my (16 year old)son live in an apartment, so we share the bathroom. He always took long showers(30 minutes or so), but lately he’s been taking it too far. He gets in bathroom for an hour, two hours.

Last straw was few days ago when stayed there for 3.5 HOURS. That’s just not reasonable in my opinion. I told him that he wouldn’t lock the door from now on and if he took longer than 40 minutes I’d walk in. He’s not happy about it.

My wife thinks I’m being too strict and not respecting his privacy.

Its creepy and weird and the most reasonable response was "yeah that's weird just buy a shower timer and set it for 30 minutes. Also, he's probably smoking pot in there."

Doesn't stop the technical correct brigade from storming in to say hes NTA his house his rules.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend she looked like an escort?

I [32M] have been dating this amazing woman [24F] for just under a year. I know there is a bit of an age difference, but that hasn't been a problem for us yet. Last week was my birthday and we decided to go out together for dinner at a steakhouse (my favorite food is steak). This wasn't an upscale Steakhouse like a Mastro's - think more along the lines of a casual franchise chain steakhouse.

The plan was to meet there after I got off work. I had worked a 10 hour day and was still in work clothes - jeans and button down shirt. My girlfriend wanted to look good for me, so she spent about 2-3 hours getting ready. She had her hair done, full makeup, tight black dress, heels, the whole nine yards.

I get where she is coming from, she wanted to surprise me and look like a bombshell. But the entire evening I felt very uncomfortable. The way I was dressed and the way she was dressed, I noticed other people were giving us looks. Probably because it looked like I was with a hired escort. I felt very uncomfortable and embarrassed the entire dinner.

I didn't say anything that night, but a few days later when I saw my girlfriend next I told her. I said she made me feel very uncomfortable and that she made me feel like I had an escort with me. I didn't tell her this to try and hurt her feelings - I told her because I needed to be honest and upfront, and because I didn't want her doing it again. I told her that there are 1,000 reasons I love her and that her looks are only 1 of them, she has much more to offer than just that.

She has been very upset the last few days and I don't think this is going to be one of those things that just blows over. AITA?

How is this even a question? There is never a context where saying some looks like an escort/prostitute has positive connotations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for buying my bratty nephew store brand mac and cheese

Expect see the exact same post in 10,years on reddit relationship advice but "nephew" will be changed to "bf(19)"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

“you only live once” is the gasoline of advice. sometimes it gets you somewhere you couldn’t have gone alone, sometimes it blows you and everything you love to bits

"follow your dreams"

Take six figures in debt because at 35 you decide you want to be a surgeon instead? Clearly anyone who objects is human scum and just keeping you down.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for cancelling my leaving meal due to low attendance, only to find it was a ruse to surprise me with high attendance, cancelled anyway

"I don't like surprises" is up there with "I have a food allergy" on the lists of things people will steadfastly refuse to believe no matter how many times they are told.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Uh, no poo poo? Seriously though, how can you just allow someone to keep acting like that? Slapping the dude in front of thousands of witnesses should get her in some sort of trouble.

Both her and the finance then stoically drove her home like nothing happened, and then burst into tears once she left the car.

"Allowing things" seems like its the only thing these 2 adults are capable of.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

According to OP, his fiancée reported an inappropriate coworker to HR at her last job, only for her to get ousted instead. So i won't blame her for having little faith in HR

As for why they didn't press charges or even fight back against Janet, they are spineless.

HazCat posted:

HR is there to protect the company, not the employees.

If you want support at work, what you need is a union.

Yeah office politics doesn't need to be a thing to press charges for assault.

Plus, HR allowing a supervisor facing charges for assault a subordinate's spouse to stay on in charge of said subordinate would be a slam dunk case. This isn't some workplace policy issue like some guy making weird comments in the office or cooking fish in the microwave, its an actual crime with tons of witnesses.

It's clear from the word salad and that both people were completely incapable of standing up for themselves that they are super, super passive people who can't handle confrontation and even go so far as to continue follow the orders of a "friend" who has blatantly disrespected and assaulted them because "I can't say anything she's my boss"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

i'd say "you're cute" but you actually aren't

This isn't some office gossip, a grown adult hauled off and struck another grown adult in the face in public and lost their poo poo at them.

I get that everyone is supposed to toughen up, kick the poo poo out of someone who attacks them, and never call the cops, but if you're standing by doing nothing while your partner is being physically assaulted because you are afraid of work consequences then you have something wrong in your head.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The worse thing is that they started dating when she was 22 and he was 32. Gross. I have 22 year old students and they are very obviously still mentally and emotionally immature.

That somehow implies the 32 year old couldn't be just as immature.

22 is probably the earliest a 10 year gap in that direction might be ok. By 22 a person could be graduated and working full time or in grad school as part of a planned life path. Or if they've just been working full time since they were old enough its 5 years of financial independence if they moved out of their parents home.

Either way in both directions its possible for the person to be barely as emotionally/mentally mature as a regular high schooler. I know some 30 year olds who act like they are still living the college lifestyle of heavy drinking and irresponsibility and always running the risk of losing their job and people in their early 20s taking life seriously and planning long term.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thatguy posted:

literally any b2b or service job no matter how many customers they directly face is "obligated to be friendly to customers". It's called loving business relations. The "threat of being able to inflict that stress" is a capable threat in every single business that isn't a sole proprietor basement dwelling computer toucher with zero personal contact in either a customer or employee status. It's called being a loving human being working in a business setting. loving goons

thatguy posted:

is that really so bad? I tell women I'm gay when I'm really just totally focused on getting our business running smoothly and since I travel a lot relationships don't usually work out. In the age of smoothly changing sexual orientation and how you want people to treat you, why would it ever matter? I spend a lot of time around older gay and trans dudes because that's my partner's preferred type, and I've asked a handful of them the same thing and they uniformly say they understand absolutely nothing about the post-millennial poo poo going on either.

God forbid one of those "females" would learn you aren't gay and then relentlessly flirt with you and prevent you from succeeding at your job. After all, I'm sure anytime a woman says she's gay to a client/customer literally no guy would take it as a sign to try and convert them and flirt harder

Sidenote: between nov 2004 and june 2016 what exactly caused you to go insane? 16 years on this forum and 43 of your 44 probes are within the last 3 years.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

You know nothing.

Tipping puts an entirely different spin on it than retail will ever see.

Don't loving hit on the waitstaff.

I can't imagine there's a single female server who hasn't had the "phone number on check" move, or the "But I tipped you so well...?" when they have to turn someone down and suddenly later their manager is asking why that table requested a different waitress because she was so rude to them last time.\

Thankfully it seems like there are only a few bad apples in this thread dismissing the idea of flirting with a service employee as toxic because anyone who's actually worked a client facing job, service or otherwise, knows that the opinions of the clients&customers are so much more important then the actual truth you can be fired at the drop of a hat for not being polite enough to a greasy middle aged man cornering you and insisting you go on a date with them.

Some bosses are good, and back their employees. Some are not, and with high turnover entry staff jobs the easiest solution is "Don't come back into work you have a bad attitude"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for sponsoring the girls in our church to go to a science camp?

Being a female engineer, I've always been passionate about promoting women in science and technology, so when I saw this science camp advertised for middle school students, I thought this was a good opportunity. It's held at a local university for 3 days and is supposed to introduce kids to STEM careers. So I decided to sponsor all the girls in our church who are within the age range (10 to 14) to attend. It is $175 per person and so I made a donation of $2450.

Now, I am getting a lot of pushback for limiting it to girls. Some parents of boys are saying that they will send their sons as well (at their own expense) and accusing me of being sexist. The whole thing has become a big argument and rather than being appreciated, I feel like I'm being villified. The trustees are going to meet this weekend to decide whether they will reject my donation, which would mean that all the girls won't be able to go unless their families pay out of pocket, and the church will lose $350 in non-refundable cancellation fees because they have already made the booking.

So AITA?

I'm 100% sure the "sons" in question probably don't want to go to science camp but their parents are in a furious huff over some other kids getting sponsored when their precious darlings were excluded.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I think the thing for me is that his family is absolutely supporting his right to cut grandpa off.

OP says it was the grandfather improperly starting a bonfire, so careless but maybe not negligant?

Either way the kid has probably been bullied and mocked his entire life and wants to lash out, the best thing possible is just to allow him to cut off the grandfather and let everyone else maintain contact and not bring it up in front of him. There's no good decision for this when dealing with an angry and emotional 16 yr old.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LyonsLions posted:

That's such a boomer way to make amends, though. How much money would it take for you to be okay with having a hosed up face? Maybe this isn't an issue that money can solve, and trying to solve it that way actually isn't helpful at all.

Reddit is super judgemental of anyone saying something like "We have a new daughter and finances are tight, but there are job opportunities open to use where we have to travel a ton for a few years but we'll make 10x as much and be able to properly take care of her Aita?" and immediately descend into call the parents monsters and how being there is vastly more important then anything increased wealth could bring.

I can understand, buts it's tons of stories of people talking about their nice childhoods but not realizing at the time they were extremely poor and one major unplanned bill away from homelessness at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for having a boyfriend but getting coffee with some guy because he said he’d pay me 600$?

So, this was in a strip club, right? What other circumstances can a guy be obviously wealthy from "throwing money around"

edit: Or one of those "coffee shops" where the girls all walk around in lingerie.