Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
We have a senile, diabetic, half-blind, 16 year old cat who pisses and shits wherever he pleases, and as much as that little flea bag needs to die, I'm not stupid enough to put him down behind my wife's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Mom/Dad is real mad they're not going to be able to steal their daughter's money.

OP already said they were also getting an inheritance.

If I had a daughter whom I wanted to grow up to be a caring, responsible adult, the last thing I'd want was 6-7 figures of no-strings money being dropped in her 18-year-old lap.

If OP's parents are that loaded, then OP probably grew up seeing unchecked access to serious money turn some of their friends and acquaintances into shitheads.

Good on them for not wanting to hand their teenager a financial loaded gun.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

QuarkJets posted:

I can understand that reasoning, but at the same time the parent seems to be taking issue with their kid inheriting any of that money at all. That's weird. Surely the trust could be structured in a way that doesn't just dump millions of dollars on a teenager

The OP states concerns of
A: Not being a trustee. Being a trustee doesn't mean the parent can decide the kid needs a boat and a new house for her parents. A trustee has a responsibility that is subject to a lot of legal scrutiny, should it be called into question, just like an estate executor can't ignore the deceased's will. They have to act in the beneficiary's best interest.

B: The daughter being told of her inheritance before she's of age.
Why should she do what her parents tell her when she gets grandma and grandpa's money when she reaches 18? What is a good age to tell an idiot teenager that no matter how they behave toward their parents, they're guaranteed a pile of money? It's a classic narcissist move on the grandparents' part to undermine the parent and ingratiate themselves with the granddaughter. Even if it all goes up her nose or in her veins, she's just the product of bad parents, and they tried their best as loving grandparents to give her a secure future.

Barudak posted:

You can set up a trust such that the amount in the trust cant be touched, only the interest, with some outside extenuating circumstances you define, and typically cant be collected against for any debts the child racks up. If you are concerned an 18 year old will blow through several million when they turn 18 (which they will) you set up the trust this way so instead of unfettered money the kid starts getting paychecks for a several thousand dollars a month which is enough to be comfortable for life but not enough to live large and blow through it. The people ive met on these schemes have either gone on to be teachers/artists/care worker since the low salary doesnt stop them from living their passion or as a subsidy income at the start of their careers as soul shattering business types.

In summary the parent is pissed shes a financial failure her parents have made the decision to bypass entirely.

You can do all of those sensible things, but that being the case is entirely your speculation just like the parent being a financial failure.

Biplane posted:

If someone wants to give your child millions of dollars, and you decline for whatever reason, that is tantamount to child abuse in this capitalist hellscape we live in :colbert:

Why not a million ice cream bars? gently caress you for wanting to meter your child's access to them for the sake of their health and dietary habits into adulthood. That's a lot of life-sustaining calories you're denying that kid.

empty sea posted:

You bet your rear end I would've sued the poo poo out of my parents for depriving me of millions of dollars I could blow on the dumbest poo poo when I was 18. Also would've been pissed as gently caress they let me blow through millions as a dumb-rear end teenager.

Just give them a generous allowance and let them have at it while the rest collects interest. They'll eventually calm down.

Right now I'd settle for some island property, a bi-weekly maid service and whatever small luxuries I could dream of. Just park my rear end by the warm beach, make sure the house isn't too dirty and leave me the gently caress alone.

Those are some reasonable applications for a good lump of wealth. Almost like you're not a dumb 18-year old.

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah that's my thought as well. Screaming I DO NOT CONSENT TO MY CHILD INHERITING MY PARENTS' VAST WEALTH VIA A TRUST really means that they expected to inherit that money

probably a zaurg bad-with-money type that the grandparents know would blow it all on candles or whatever

Again, the post doesn't object to the kid getting an inheritance, just knowing they're getting unfettered access to that inheritance as a naive teenager. The OP says they get their own inheritance. I don't know where you people get this idea that they're getting stiffed while the kid's getting a sensibly supervised income from the grandparents while the original post is reasonably stating the exact opposite.

A parent wants to be able to raise a decent person without them saying, "gently caress you. I'll just wait out your bullshit until I get them grandma ducats.", and they're the brainless, money-grubbing rear end in a top hat?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

nobody cares about the fate of the fuckin burrito they hate him because like half a food service worker's life is dealing with dipshits trying to scam free food out of them with some idiotic technicality, and if the manager notices he's likely to take the loss out of their paycheck. If it's the wrong order but it's still clearly edible and tasty to you, just loving eat it.

Oh shut up. It's the wrong burrito. It's the house's mistake. I side-eye you for eating most of it before bringing it up, but whatever, here's the burrito you ordered, Piggy.

Docking someone for a returned food item is just not legal in most states. I work in the service industry in Texas, where I can be legally fired for telling my boss I think his tax dollars should be used to feed starving children, and I've never seen a service worker take a pay hit for incidentals like that.

Courageously defending the company's bottom line from vicious, burrito-chiseling outlaws is a waste of time and energy. If you feel any moral outrage against the dude, you are naive as gently caress. Yeah, it's not exactly in line with the social contract, but nobody should ever care that damned much.

*I spit in the window girl's face, demand a free Frosty, and get one, because the food-service industry is a soul-crushing Hell.

**I wouldn't do a Wendy's worker like that. I work for a living too.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for constantly adopting new animals without asking permission from my SO?

I told him it's none of his business what I do in my house. I told him to get the gently caress out of my house until he learned some drat respect.

If you've been living with someone for two years and they say poo poo like this, you're not in a relationship; you're loving your landlord.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I’m [F/32] struggling with husband’s [M/28] “my money, your money” view, especially now that we are having a baby together.

Congratulations on your second child, Madam!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

HOT BREAD! posted:

wife [28/F] went from outgoing social butterfly to canning fruits in the basement and avoiding her friends. Only change was she married me [27/M]. Her culture? Depression?

i need to get me a Russian pickle wife

There's definitely some being ashamed of where she's from going on. She's married to an American now, so gently caress poor backward Russia. Honestly, if she wants to forget all of that, and be a new person, I don't see a problem, as long as they're both happy.

I also don't see a problem with someone being all about their homeland, wanting to teach their kids the language and culture, and all that good stuff. I think either one is a valid choice.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not letting my wife name our daughter Alexa?

My wife's mom was named Alexa, and she wants to name our daughter after her. Our older daughter was named by me, so we had agreed that she would get to name the next child. However, I feel that this is not a suitable name due to its use by Amazon.

This is more of a minor argument we're having right now (the child is due in 5 months). It's not going to tear the family apart or anything. I'm sure we'll resolve it one way or another, but it would be nice to hear some opinions.

"Alexa, can you put on some music? No, not you. The robot. Go back to your room, Alexa 2."

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

cumshitter posted:

AITA for telling my stepson he isn’t allowed to be in common areas of my home without being fully clothed?

Stepson is trolling for cougar. Has to be.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

charity rereg posted:

AITA for not wanting my in-laws to charge us rent

Boomers: The New Batch decide they're going to charge their own child open market rent for their inherited asset, because they have no concept of the economic realities facing said child. Not even suggesting they pay toward owning the house in which they served as live-in caretaker for their dying grandmother. Just straight up, 'We've been looking around on Zillow and we think this is fair.'

2 to 1 that "A good chance to teach you some responsibility." came up in the conversation.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
What the gently caress is up with sex weirds and Yoshi?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

bonelessdongs posted:

Because schools are full of people who wanted a job where they could power trip over people who have zero way to hold them accountable

Teachers are just really passive aggressive cops.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for the throwing a birthday party for my daughter that accidentally excluded one of the girls she invitted?

1. Birthday parties are ridiculous now.
2. I'd blame the company more than the mother.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Leon Einstein posted:

The people from the story. Why would you expect it to get hosed with?

"A bunch of strangers are gonna be stomping through my house. Better put out the valuable, easily stashed in a bag or jacket, art pieces."

literally the first Google result for "open house tips" posted:

Remove items that can be pocketed easily — jewelry, prescription medications, cellphones, tablets, figurines, memorabilia and treasured knickknacks.

Thieves like to target open houses and estate sales. If the lady's realtor can make an EEG twitch, she would have warned her against having valuables out for the grabbing. OP should ask to see a bill of sale or appraisal before she thinks of handing over money.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
What's extra-insulting is that nobody would hear that and think Mariachi. They'd think Liberace. It's not even an effective perjortmanteau.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Leon Einstein posted:

Those two need to combine their finances with a baby coming. That behavior is weird.

We keep separate bank accounts, but our secret is not being assholes to each other.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Leon Einstein posted:

So do you go dutch on the baby bills?

No. I pay for her birth control, and she buys the dog food. It's working out great.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for asking the teacher to change her "teaching style" for my daughter?

NTA, just in a minority that doesn't keep their young child's demons at bay with an interlocking web of lies and salt circles.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (25f) boyfriend (27m) made me feel like absolute crap about my appearance, and then when I asked why he's with me then, he said "babe it isn't all about looks" and seemed offended.

:sever:

You ain't un-ringing that bell, and a guy who isn't past that phase at 27 is a piece of poo poo anyway.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Bored posted:

Taze him.

I was going to go with shock him, like a tiny jolt, but just imagining waking up to that and it continuing on while trying to get kids ready in the morning, after being told "no" repeatedly, gave me a case of sympathetic annoyance and disgust.

Just give him a, "Message received, Cap'n Shirtstretcher. We'll be fuckin' by 8 bells if ye cease distressin' the elastic of me pantaloons whilst I square away the shore party. I swear on yer mother, I've fashioned me last jib from a too soon scuttled pair of Hanes Her Way."

(this is 8oz of rye on an empty stomach and sleep deprivation posting, but I wrote this poo poo, goddamnit, and I'm clicking submit. No Preview!)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for sleeping in same bed with one of my best friends (NO HOOKUP) after I helped her get safely home?

Why do I get the feeling that this guy is the fat virgin doormat of his "friend" group?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Koalas March posted:

A grey rear end sweater with Navy slacks sounds horrible, I'm siding with the younger brother on this alone but if he thinks the kid is (& remember he is still a kid, no duh he wants to wear his coolest shoes) lazy and spoiled why did he pick him to be his best man?

Matching the bridal party is like Expectation 1 in being in said bridal party. You are not the focus of the proceedings. Nobody's there to give a poo poo about your expensive red sneakers. Stand still, be quiet, and hand over the ring, rear end in a top hat.

If he's such a preening asswipe that he thinks he's entitled to upstage his brother's bride at the altar, then gently caress him.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Xik posted:

I don't have any sympathy for the guy that ran off to start a second family with the neighbor but drat man that poo poo is stone cold. :capitalism: I guess

The guy has more cool than I would. I hope he keeps it until his dad has no choice but to accept the buyout or go bankrupt. Pay the old man a reasonable hourly for the rest of his life, and let him and the homewrecker retire on his little 401K.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

ad090 posted:

AITA For trying to enforce a non-compete contract my employee signed

You fired him, idiot.

"Oh you want out of your no-compete? Well I'll just make it real loving easy for you while I paint myself a dickbag in view of my employees and clients! That'll show ya!"

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Me [26/M] with girlfriend of 4 months [27/F]. Our friends are warning me about her “odd behaviors”. Am I blind/ignoring warning signs? Red Flags? Starting to doubt myself.

I’ve known my current GF for about a year. We met through friends and were casual acquaintances. She was dating someone sort of on/off and he put an end to it just before Christmas of last year. We stayed casual acquaintances until this summer and then began seeing each other. Official for four months.

Friends have commented on her “odd habits” that have ruined relationships in the past. At drinks, a few of my friends warned me. That was followed-up by one of girlfriends asking me to give her an honest chance.

From the outside, she looks completely, totally, normal. She’s amazing looking, well poised and just a really great sociable person. When we’re alone, she’s a lot more confessional about her social anxiety, esp. worried about hurting people’s feelings and worried she’s committed some transgressions. All things I’ve dealt with in a relationship before. She has mild/moderate OCD which she gets therapy for.

I guess her odd behavior or habit is that she has this thing where she likes to play with my hair, for hours on end. We can watch a movie with her playing with my hair. She keeps asking if it bothers me or if I am annoyed. It neither bothers nor annoys me.

I finally asked my friends to clarify and they went through a litany of “weird” things. She does every single one of them.

She does talk to her cats;

She is fastidious with folding clothes (it’s impressive to watch);

She gets flustered easily in social situations and begins to profusely sweat;

She has an odd habit of sleeping with her arm under her SO/ my clothes;

She gets very “comfortable” around her SOs pretty quickly;

She’s very direct about how she envisions her future;

She has a bit of a “wild” past;

She talks to herself (she’ll do it when she doesn’t think anyone is around/notices);

She orders/alphabetizes everything and will fix it if it gets out of order;

Her fridge is all put into special containers and ordered by categories (sauces in sauce section, meats in meats, leftovers with leftovers);

She brushes her teeth ~3 or 4 times a day;

She can be very forthright: she’ll ask (rhetorically) if she has bad BO then smell her pits, can’t decide and then ask me.

None of this strikes me as critically odd/Red Flag, but everyone seems to think I'm blind to it..... Am I? Am I missing flags here?

I met her parents and they’re lovely people who seemed a bit… like maybe I was going to dump her, too. They were very lovely but guarded, made sure I knew she was a really great girl, etc.

Am I totally off the wall or are my/her friends just conjuring crap in their minds?

tl;dr: Girlfriend of 4 months is supposedly waving red flags all over the place (list above) but I'm either missing them or they aren't red flags at all and her friends/my friends are being super weird/judgemental. Now I'm doubting myself.

Your friends are jealous of your adorable weirdo GF, OP. Cut them off and marry her.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it's this perfect combination of ugly bigotry and pure, childlike stupidity.

they don't even conceive of the possibility that a will is a legal document even if they don't like what it says. They deserved the money so the money belonged to them. Simple!

The best proof that somewhere in our evolutionary path we were carrion eaters is the way people circle dying relatives waiting to pick at their estate.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Such Fun posted:

And the horse too.

Poor ol' Freckles, hid at grandparents' ranch while Mom lied.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
*I laugh and brush back my hair as my accomplices look on with glee

"Ah, but let me show you,"

*I produce my phone with a flourish, deftly thumbing the camera app to life

"THE WAYS OF A TRUE CRIMINAL MASTERMIND!"

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Modern Detective Noir set in Wales? loving thrill a minute!
(I like these shows, but gently caress, I don't blame anyone who doesn't)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Chomp8645 posted:

Mom flabbergasted that an 18 year old already getting A grades in everything would want to hang and smoke weed instead of pursuing ever more "challenging" things before even getting to college.

She's not going to be the first smart kid to have a rude awakening at Much Bigger Pond University. Until that happens, good luck convincing her of her own academic mortality.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My girlfriend [23F] is raging angry because I [23M] slept with someone else when I thought we were broken up.

Hah! Break up with her, and say you'll take her back in a week. Then don't.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA: My BIL keeps trying to get a cashier at my local gas station fired.

Edit: He has complained about her for a few days and wants to call, because she has "an attitude." I don't think she has an attitude, I just think she is sick of idiots. And I always have my ID, so I am not sure why he specifically leaves it in the car or at home when he knows we are getting gas.

If you're still fuming about a gas station attendant doing her job after 3 days your masculinity is so fragile it should be up in a glass case with some jade teacups and antique bisque dolls.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

do u think he makes her call him onee-san

Nice try.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Hobo Clown posted:

The real power move is to wave a bunch of $1 bills at them and make a big show of putting them one by one back into your pocket for every minute your single pancake is late

I really appreciate customers like that. It's very considerate of them to let me know when they've forgotten their "I'm an rear end in a top hat" sign at home. Oh it's going to cost me $3 to give bare minimum service to a jackass? Bargain!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Beachcomber posted:

This is the only enjoyable part of that post.

You read that poo poo?

My wife wants to spend half our yearly income so she can dual-class Crazy Person.

I was good to stop there.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

This is 100% a conscious act of othering by Apple, and gently caress we're a doomed civilization.

(No I don't give a gently caress about iOS vs. Android)

-Posted from my Blackberry

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Propaniac posted:

From /r/legaladvice:

Did my friend forfeit her right to collect unemployment? Chicago. IL.

I'd assume that, in a legal sense, once you're told you're fired you're just a rando causing a scene.

Isn't that why big firms escort you to your desk to get your poo poo and then out the door?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Vampire wasn't emo enough, so I started playing Monster Hearts.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Have the decency to mention it in the invitations.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
You risk running afoul of obscenity laws if you don't. It's a wink/nudge type of compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Pick posted:

As with many number-inflators in the house, I said less than $15mil isn't "rich".

3.8% of American workers work more than 60 hours a week but I definitely believe that Something Awful is a hotbed of the hardest working people in America. lol

You are like a failed playwright turned 4th-grade teacher who can never switch off.