Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

The mormons Ive known have been excellent at compartmentalizing the crazy party of their religion. Decennt people outside of Sundays.

This is true of literally any religious person whose last name isn't Phelps (in which case you embrace the crazy instead of compartmentalizing it). All religions everywhere are loving cuckoo bananas in various fun ways

In Deuteronomy, The Bible says that if two dudes are fighting and one dude's wife tries to end the fight by grabbing the opponent's dick, then you have to cut off her dick-grabbing hand.

At one point in Matthew Jesus is hungry and walks up to a fig tree hoping to find delicious figs but finds out that the tree doesn't have any figs on it, so he gets mad and basically says "gently caress you, fig tree" and the tree instantly loving withers and dies

Deuteronomy also says that Heaven has a big sign on it that reads "no eunuchs allowed"

Everyone likes to think of Mormons as being the crazy weirdo christians, but really that's just because everyone forgets how weird and hosed up the old and new testaments are. Every religion has its weird stories

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

Probably not but I am trying to adopt a positive tone.

Please leave the thread right now and go do something positive. Learn a new skill. Try taking up origami or teach yourself how to tie all sorts of crazy knots.

Read a nice work of fiction

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I could fart in a jar and send it to someone if they want a preview of his announcement.

Please do, you can get my address from accounting, tell Vilerat I said hi and that he did a great job in the benghazi false flag operation as a crisis actor

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

assange is going to step out onto his balcony dressed like the pope and announce "HILLARY KILLED HARAMBE"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Covok posted:

The saddest moment in Julian's life will be when the throw him out...and nothing happens. That the narrative that all the world governments were after him were just a delusion. And then he just has to go back to normal life.

Well, he'd probably wind up in Swedish prison for the rape charge. That actually sounds like a step up from being trapped in the London Ecuadorian embassy but for that to happen his delusions of grandeur would also shatter

Part of me wishes that Assange just opened with galtse and then wished everyone a good night

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I have no clue, I was just spitballing. The props not being allowed thing is also a good reason.

Sarah Palin was a uniquely bad VP candidate, picked by a guy who statistically could very well have died in office, and even then I don't think she's even a main reason why he lost, rather than simply both a unique touchstone representative of that moment in American history and a preview of what was to come with the rise of the Tea Party and post-reality Republican politics.

Reminder that Trump is just as old and feeble as McCain was when he ran. Trump is also a lot fatter, making it more likely that he'd die while in office.

VP debates still don't matter much, though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

In my experience evangelicals tend to know the text of the bible much better than Catholics. Their skill in exegesis tends to be much worse, but they certainly know the words.

I would argue that exegesis is much more important than knowing the words verbatim. They're loving translated texts anyway, who gives a poo poo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I'd say McCain was in worse shape what with being a cancer survivor and all.

Trump looks like he's going to have a heart attack sometimes. Cancer is a big deal but heart disease is actually America's #1 killer

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bhaal posted:

If anything It's disheartening that at 75 even someone like him can have north of $300k in outstanding debt.

Why would that matter? You don't get some sort of reward for being debt-free when you die. And if he just bought a new house then it's likely that he financed it, which is totally normal

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

dont nobody give no fucks bout dat bernie v hillary poo poo except a bunch of moron paultards who are just gonna vote Johnson neway because that's what white millennials do

Clinton is actually dominating in millenial popularity

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BaDandy posted:

We're at the part right before Hillary pierces herself with the arrow.

Soon Trump will be punched into an infinite death loop, but instead of dying it's just constant humiliation over and over, forever.

All while Trump screams "I'M NOT OWNED! I'M NOT OWNED!"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

If he somehow gets turbofucked even harder on Sunday the race is officially over.

Dude you know that's not true

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nessus posted:

It's a joke you boobs

To some it's not

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Magres posted:

Anything fun happen today/yesterday? I've been swamped with work

After like an hour of debate prep Trump was like "Hillary's not prepping three days in a row, she's probably recuperating right now, we should just relax"

Stein is still trailing Harambe in most polls

Trump's twitter is spamming literally any poll that has his number higher than Clinton's, laying the groundwork for accusations of a rigged election and then the glorious trumpvolution

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yes, and as funny as it is for Tic Tac to denounce Trump I've always hated it when companies try to get in on topical discussion in a clear attempt to score revenue

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What happens if during the debate Trump admits that he's gay and that's why he always has to play like a tough heterosexual man? Does that cause the country to blue screen or what?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Holy poo poo fishmech why the gently caress do you have to make every argument so personal?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Fargle posted:

Unless you're The New York Post (I think that's the correct paper. Might be New York Times?) then they take your story, publish it, get mad credit for publishing it and then call for your indictment. Just like they did for Snowden.

I was actually on board with that, because the logic made sense. The story on NSA surveillance was big and they were happy to publish that, but Snowden also stole a shitload of unrelated classified documents and absconded with them to China and Russia. No one ever seems to remember that part. You can praise a guy for doing one thing that you think is good and condemn him for doing another that you think is bad, there's nothing wrong with that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

edrith posted:

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/785220993459576832

RNC about to literally assassinate Trump, looks like

Hopefully whatever their plan is works as well as their plan to prevent Trump from becoming the nominee

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

If other jobs had to be elected they'd probably say different things in private and public too. The public is filled with a bunch of idiots who don't know anything. This election is the most perfect example of that. We have a guy who (supposedly) says the same things in private and in public, and he's the world's biggest rear end in a top hat.

Good job guy, you just lost my vote. Say goodbye to your cushy Taco Bell cashier position :smug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Fargle posted:

It doesn't matter if it makes strict logical sense. It's a COLOSSAL violation of journalistic ethics. You don't turn around and betray your sources like that.

They didn't, though. Snowden's name was already in the public eye before the NYP suggested that he should be indicted for stealing classified documents.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

Didn't watch the debate, but I popped into the thread a few times. Trump talked (joked?) about jailing Clinton, contradicted his running mate, interrupted and whined about his time, and told a Muslim woman that Islamophonia was her fault, but apparantly he pulled it together enough for some to consider it a win?

What did Clinton do wrong?

She didn't make Trump actually, physically cry and she doesn't have a penis

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anyone else catch the camera weirdly zooming in on Clinton's face while the cameraman was resetting focus? I thought that was pretty funny

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dude twice in a row Trump was asked point-blank at what point his behavior changed from what was shown on the most recent tape, and both times he very noticeably avoided answering the question. Right then and there I knew that he was hosed, it basically cemented the tapes as a HUGE loving PROBLEM in the minds of everyone who's not a 4chan poster

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

I listened to it on the radio so maybe I have the Nixon Kennedy perspective on it. I thought he did ok pressing his points at first. The tone of his voice sounded calm and reasonable, but about halfway in he seemed to come off the rails again and his New York accent came in much more pronounced. He sounded like a used car salesman.

Also man I wish Clinton had dunked on him when he was making that stupid point about Hillary not changing the laws when she was senator. All it would have taken was a "maybe you don't know how the government actually works" kind of line.

I thought that the veto power line worked well to that effect

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Antti posted:

The organization that picked the so-called undecideds was Gallup. You know, the outfit that stopped polling the US presidential election after 2012.

The idea that undecided voters are unbiased is of course prima facie nonsense; the whole thing is nonsense. You should do some sort of curated crowdsourcing for questions so you get a pool of interesting questions that your regular cabal of journalists wouldn't think about.

"Say something nice about the other candidate" was a clever question but definitely not by the questioner's intent; it was a character test for Trump that he barely passed. But it shows that crowdsourced questions can have merit.

It's not too hard to do the mental gymnastics required to call yourself undecided even when you're almost definitely going to vote for one candidate or the other. "Well I'm leaning toward Clinton, but if she unhinged her jaw and swallowed an infant whole then I'd definitely vote against her" -- An undecided voter, technically

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

The way voters responded to Trump's debate last night actually comforts me a ton. It means the people outside his basket have kinda made up their minds and don't buy his poo poo anymore.

Best outcome of this election would be his brand falling apart right afterward, as people associate the Trump name with extreme bigotry and sexual assault

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

boner confessor posted:

bernie or bust people are conspiracy theorists and will believe literally anything becase by this point all of the sanders supporters who aren't insane or have shocking levels of media illiteracy have accepted reality and moved on

conspiracy networks often form not from the ground up as people buy into an idea, but in a reduction process as sane, intelligent people are gradually weeded out of a group until only the nuts are left hyping each other up about nonsense

Yeah I thought I saw a report in August that 90% of Sanders supporters had become Clinton supporters. The remainder were probably cult of personality people all along who voted for Ron Paul and don't give a poo poo about policy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Andrast posted:

Can they even legally give that kind of assurance in Sweden, especially since the US hasn't even requested it.

No, they can't, and the refusal described exactly why Swedish prosecutors can't legally grant preemptive extradition immunity

The Insect Court posted:

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why anybody thinks the Obama(or a Clinton) administration wouldn't have done everything they could to put Assange in some supermax solitary cell for the next several hundred years. Manning got the biggest sentence in the history of the Espionage Act, they clearly would have tried to outdo themselves with Assange.

Manning had access to classified information and then leaked a shitload of it while serving in the military. Assange is a civilian who just published what he was given and was never under any obligation to protect US classified documents. Even if he were ever charged under the Espionage Act, there's a very good chance that he'd never serve any time. There's even legal precedence for this; the New York Times won a legal challenge to publish government secrets back in the 70s, and as recent as 2009 two lobbyists had Espionage Act charges dropped.

So no, it's unlikely that the US is going to put much effort into charging or prosecuting Assange, because even if they did the dude would probably walk free. Although there's one caveat to this: if there's evidence that Assange goaded Manning then they could probably convict him for conspiracy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

Then those Swedish officials are wrong. It's illegal to extradite someone to a country where there is a reasonable expectation they could face torture, which is the case with Assange. There is literally no way it is illegal for Sweden to affirm its commitment to treaties it has already signed and ratified.

Chomskyan posted:

]

Note that Amnesty International is a human rights organization that employs actual lawyers and is infinitely more credible than random posters on somethingawful dot com

lol the ironing is delicious

e: gently caress beaten

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

With all of the legal precedent regarding publishers of classified documents being basically immune to US prosecution, regardless of whether or not they're US citizens, it's extremely likely that Assange has nothing to worry about from the US government. People who leak secrets are the ones who get hosed, not the people who publish them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

freebooter posted:

Is there any movement whatsoever within mainstream politics to end the electoral college and make POTUS elected by popular vote? Because it's plainly loving ridiculous that only a handful of states matter. And it doesn't look to me like it would benefit one party over the other (the way weekend voting would benefit the Democrats, say) so I don't see why there'd be a partisan deadlock about it.

this sounds like AN ATTACK ON THE CONSTITUTION AND OUR FOUNDING FATHERS

I don't think anyone in mainstream politics is really interested in that. You'd basically have to pass and ratify an amendment and good luck doing that in today's political climate

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

loving about time, how long have they been threatening to do this?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

my uncle works at wikileaks and he showed me the hillary emails they are so incriminating all of you libtards are so screwed this november *stuffs mouth with cheetos*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AKA the regular police

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dexo posted:

I mean unless you are a black female... or a white female raped by a sports player on any level from high school to professional. Or had a drink that night, or wore something that someone found attractive and thus you were obviously asking for it.
Could be wrong tho.

Dude it's not like those groups of people get special "rape police" to help them out, they still have to talk to the plain old regular police their complaints just go unanswered

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stacks posted:

Every time I've levied even the smallest criticism of Hillary Clintion I get this response from liberals:

SWEET MOTHER OF gently caress ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS poo poo?!?! DONALD TRUMP IS THE NEXT HITLER! HE'S MING THE MERCILESS! VOLDEMORT IN THE FLESH! loving CHRIST CAN YOU JUST NOT DO THIS?! WE'RE IN THE FIGHT FOR OUR LIVES HERE!!!!!!

Like, I get that goons in this thread are mostly centrists so no one is going to have sympathy here but Trump never had a chance. Appealing solely to a dwindling demographic was a massive misfire. He was doomed from the start.

Really? I feel like the thread has been middling at best on Clinton's foreign policy. I think that the general consensus among Sanders supporters is "she's less progressive than I like, and I disagree with her positions on X and Y, but she's still good overall"

Can you point to someone in this thread attacking you over valid criticism? Obviously there are people out there who would do that, I just haven't run into them and I'm not convinced that they're all that common

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bushiz posted:

Stacks is an idiot and I'm voting for her, but this thread, and a large swath of the Internet, does have a tendency to go completely ballistic when you suggest Hillary is an imperfect candidate. It happens less now that the Orange Ball of Hate is dominating the news cycle but there was a time in primary season where various people would speak both about how Hillary was the only candidate moderate enough to beat trump and simultaneously more progressive than Sanders.

I mean sure it was just generic primary spin but it was loving obnoxious.

Can you quote someone in the thread doing this? I don't often read the USPOL thread because it moves so quickly, but I haven't actually seen someone go ballistic over legit Clinton criticism.

Like if someone says they want minimum wage to be higher than Clinton's proposal, is there a freakout?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

Voting 3rd Party is based off the calculus that you can afford to cast a protest vote so that you can tell your friends, family and coworkers about it for the next month as though it was a virtuous act and not you edging the Democratic system.

You're basically counting on the people who can't afford to be as loving smug and entitled as you--the women, minorities, and marginalized, who Trump represents a threat to the continued existence of--to do the heavy lifting of democracy so that you can Facebook thinly veiled messages about your unique ideas about how the system is broken and we need real leftist government.

Holy poo poo, can we put this at the top of the Jill Stein thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

Why the gently caress are you fuckers posting a 1000+ new posts when there hasnt been any new Donnie stuff.

Also w/r/t to wikileaks. Please stop spelling rear end's full name and just call him rear end. If he's anything thing like Dick Dawkins it will annoy his very soul.

I don't know man rear end just doesn't work with the rest of his official title

"Fugitive rapist and antisemite rear end"

Maybe with Julian?

"Fugitive rapist and antisemite Julian rear end"

Hmm no I think this works best:

"Fugitive rapist and antisemite Julian Assange"

His full name actually sounds like he's a French aristocrat or something, which on its own isn't funny, but it becomes hilarious when contrasted against everything that he says and does. It's like a country bumpkin KKK member having a name of "Cornelius Alfonse III"

• Locked thread