Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Drifter posted:

You guys can't have CARS and Zootopia BOTH take place in the same universe where Humans have died out. :smh:

I think this actually explainable (by the standards of insane theories) by the Pixar and Disney timelines being different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's an episode of Adventure Time where two bit characters inexplicably re-enact the entirety of the alleyway fight scene from They Live and it's hard to express how happy this makes me.

I dropped off on Adventure time extremely early on (like the first season?) and I still want to see this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

This week's events? I googled and I'm not sure what you mean.

Me neither. I thought he just became an internet hermit.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Samuel Clemens posted:

The WWII commentary in the film is somewhat subdued, but you can clearly see Miyazaki's anger at the senseless waste of human life and the autocrathic government responsible for it in certain scenes. For instance, in the final dream sequence, Jiro and his idol Caproni watch a group of Japanese pilots fly off into the distance. Jiro sadly states, "Not a single one came back." To which Caproni replies, "It's not like there was anything to come back to." There's a melancholy to The Wind Rises that you wouldn't see in a pro-war work.

Normally when people speculate conservative themes in Japanese works it's less about pro/anti-war and more about the implication that the War was a horrible thing because the Allies ruined everything at no provocation. I'm just mentioning this based on other discussions and the quote you brought up, I haven't seen the Wind Rises still.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 26, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Unmature posted:

Clarification: I do not think the movie is pro-war or anything. But I'm glad to see only one of you was a pedantic dickbag!

Sorry.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

I'm so confused; I thought Infinity was dead, so was this released post-humously?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Detective No. 27 posted:

This came out a few months before it died. The last set they released was some Looking Glass figures.

John Depp got three Disney Infinity figures.

Haledjian posted:

This is from March last year. Infinity was around at that point--i think Zootopia was the last Disney property that was added.

I was hoping that the reason the game looked like that was because it was some sort of undead product.

starkebn posted:

Watched "Moana" today at the theater (Australia :argh:) and my 3 boys and I loved it. Thought the sequence with the coconut wearing creatures was a bit 'why is this here'? but otherwise fun. "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" the standout songs, Grandma the standout character imo. I found it amusing nearly all of the B characters were played by New Zealanders.
I think the coconut pirate scene entirely justifies itself from the subtle joke of Maui trying to paddle the boat with his hands without the oar.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Drifter posted:

I don't get it, what made the show dire? You just say it wasn't for you because people cheered when they sang a song?

:psyduck:

I think the idea is that someone who rolls their eyes at the starting notes of Let It Go really shouldn't have been watching a Frozen play.

starkebn posted:

there has to be some other "foreign" mythology or legend they can butcher for a 2D film right?

Aren't half of the 2D Disney films German fairy tales? I'm not sure what brought this on unless you really hated Mulan/Hercules/Aladdin.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 14, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Macaluso posted:

Don't worry fam, I got you

I know opinions on the Moana songs vary, but everytime this is posted Shiny starts playing in my head and that's got to count for something.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Macaluso posted:

Is this a joke post

Hedrigall posted:

The real joke is the complete lack of LGBTQI representation in modern animated films :colbert:

Didn't Storks actually go out of its way to not be totally straight (despite the premise) by having one of the couples receiving babies be same-sex?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Macaluso posted:

Wait what, is there an actual loving language they created for the Minions like loving elvish and not just a bunch of loving gibberish? :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure it's more like Simlish where it doesn't actually translate into words but is meant to sound similar to a whole bunch of things at different times.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why did they rename Ballerina to Leap! for the US market? Is ballet such an unfathomable concept over there?

Waffleman_ posted:

Kids are into verb titles nowadays. Tangled, Frozen, Shrek.

This and the related reason that I think the current business standard is still that any title that sounds vaguely feminine must be box office deterrent. e. Beaten.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CRINDY posted:

From what I understand, it looks like the video's editors just lumped together every single proposal or project that's been rumored out of Disney for the past five years, and more than a few are firmly in "rumor" territory.

Based on memory of these as they came out, Genies isn't happening now that Robin Williams is dead and the remake is near production, Peter Pan is on ice for a few years after Warner Bros.' "Pan" lost $100m (if they do adapt it, I hope they go for Peter and the Starcatchers), Jungle Book 2 is delayed until after TLK, Maleficent 2 has been hung up in negotiations with Angelina for years, Chernabog is a loving joke of an idea and the Snow White stuff is probably on ice until the mess surrounding The Huntsman dies down.

We'll get Mulan, TLK, Dumbo, Cruella and Aladdin by the end of the decade. Can't say I'm too confident anything else will drop by that point.

Wait are you talking about that Chris Hemsworth movie a few years ago or is there actually a controversy surrounding the character of the hunter in Snow White.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ah, it has been quite a few pages since this thread entered horrifying territory.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I am so terribly sorry that we're talking about cartoons in a context that is making you uncomfortable with the thread, Hedrigall. My heart bleeds for you.

:drat:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Build-a-Boar posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but all the people in this movie look like they were drawn from referencing people in Pinocchio (except above is just an example of someone who doesn't know how to draw)

I didn't actually want to watch the trailer when it was linked but now I can't ignore it: dear lord what is wrong with the color saturation in this movie?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There's animation going on, sure, but does frozen or moana or anything dreamworks does inspire anyone to want to work in animation?

I feel like you are sliiiiiiightly understating the popularity of Frozen. Just a tad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Like, if people are just pretending to like things? That's dumb.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Fangz posted:

The shows you watched as a kid are usually the ones that inspire you.

Decades of talking animal media aimed at children and this is the crop that results.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Shadow Hog posted:

Apparently Disney is very, very particular about when and where to allow crossovers. Kingdom Hearts was deemed a bad place to cross the steams, while the opposite side of the door leading to the dimension of Gozer the Gozerian House of Mouse was considered a good place.

Wait, that's why each Disney movie takes place in its own world/level and they never interact aaaaaaah.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Fangz posted:

I had never previously realised that Disney owns Avatar.

I didn't either, but I should have guessed based on the parameter of "makes a lot of money".

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Robindaybird posted:

I think it just got the ridicule because of the loving weirdos so enchanted by graphics they painted themselves blue and cry over how Pandora wasn't real, the real life version of Lorax's Onceler shipping, the utterly bizarre thing that exploded and disappear in less than a year.

At the time stuff like the Pandora Fever seemed out of nowhere, but I feel like social media and the meme machine has developed between then and now. We get a new Oncler phenomenon, like, once a month.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

2009 was an age ago. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit and youtube were still fairly new, Instagram was still 3 years away, the most popular memes were Xzibit and Ceiling Cat, the rage comics and advice animals memes had only just been invented, Bronies didn't exist yet and Furries were still frowned on by almost everyone.

If Pandora Fever had struck with the internet we have today I think it would have had a much wider and longer lasting pop culture footprint

Despite what I said, I dunno if I'd agree with that. Like it probably would have made the high even higher and more insane, but it would have been out the door just as fast. To be replaced with the next hot new thing like...sexy Wendy's girl fanart? IDEK.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Do you mean like in general or has there been a recent trend. The only one I can think of in the current wave of movies is like Rock Dog.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
If your childhood entertainment consisted of 1930s silent films in French you may be a hipster.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Fangz posted:

I kinda want more shows with a message of "don't be yourself, if 'yourself' is actually a lovely person". That seems a rather more relevant message today.

Isn't this basically Breaking Bad (though Walt totally decides himself is awesome even when the entire universe disagrees.)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

Looks like I pissed someone off, so I'm fine dropping the discussion.

Man that's not a nice way of referring to Imp Atom.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Full Metal Alchemist is really notable for being like one of the only action shonen series to actually come to a pre-planned climax and conclusion, instead of running mindlessly for 10+ years till abrupt cancellation.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Unmature posted:

Why does everyone hate Cartoon Brew so much? Like, I know it's lame and has very little of value and barely updates, but people online act like you're talking about Breitbart.

The writers aren't like literally the worst people ever, but they've always been mean and petty on like a personal level. Like the last time I gave any sort of attention to that site was when the Clarence Cartoon Network scandal was going around, and they linked to the victim's twitter and personal information in their articles despite her wishes just because it's not like she could do anything about it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Unmature posted:

And that Clarence thing still bothers me. How is that guy still allowed to make cartoons for children?

He...isn't? Last time I checked he was hospitalized and basically unperson'd from Cartoon Network.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Looper posted:

This is the part where someone posts Princess Dickhair

No this is the part where the set team forgets they aren't making a Star Wars movie and the Fire Nation is filled with giant Roman columns.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

paradoxGentleman posted:

What did he do to deserve such spite?

Uh, normally I don't expect anyone to get everything that might be referenced somehow, but do you live under a rock?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

paradoxGentleman posted:

You sicked GBS or some other garbage subforum on that thread because of one poo poo poster (who got banned anyway) so you don't get to criticize the quality of the thread.

Sithsaber?

Wow I actually completely forgot about how awful the TVIV cartoon threads were.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Detective No. 27 posted:

That movie looks like poo poo, but some of those faces look pretty good, and the others seem like between-frames. I dunno, the animation is probably the least of that movie's problems.

The tweet's been made private now but I caught it and I can say it...does not look better in motion.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly, it's not that strange, Voltron is very popular in the states, but in Japan as Go Go Lion it's just a run of the mill transforming mecha series nobody remembers. Big O was actually a flop in Japan as well.

So Woody's Round-Up is the Toy Story Universe equivalent of The Moomins.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Barudak posted:

I think youre the first person ive ever heard of who prefered Toy Story 2 as a whole to Toy Story 1.

What, really? I don't know if it's an age thing because this forum seems to dislike it but everywhere growing up it was Toy Story 2 that was considered the best not 1.

edit: Also I've never seen people dislike Jesse's song bit outside of this thread.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Shadow Hog posted:

[list][*]"YOU! ARE! A! TOYYYYYYEEEEEEEE! YOU AREN'T THE REAL BUZZ LIGHTYEAR, YOU'RE AN- AGH, YOU'RE AN ACTION FIGURE! YOU ARE A CHILD'S PLAYTHING!"

It's this. This is the best one.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Waffleman_ posted:

Nobody is making erotic fanart of George and Harold, you can let go of your pearls.

I agree that gay subtext shouldn't inherently be sexy but I wouldn't go that far.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't seen anyone freak out about zooptopia other than this thread freaking out over the possibility of imaginary people freaking out tbh.

Someone called it the least talked about movie to make 1 billion dollars and that's about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, I kinda expect more from a Disney theatrical short than, say, A Very Skeletor Christmas.

Yeah but we got this out of the He-Man Christmas Special.