Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

Isn't his name like Weed Potman and coffee is a fig leaf for drug use?

Weed is the rear end in a top hat conservative guy who makes the Weed Whack rants. Angus is the chill coffee-obsessed guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

Also watch Adam Curtis

Is your brother McDowell?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

A Bad Cartoon. Doesn't Marlette remember that in the story, the beans really are magic, and Jack gets away with the giant's treasures in the end?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Starving Wolf posted:

Wow, Bee Gee, you really showed that McCain fellow what for! he won't be showing HIS nose here again anytime soon!
*Trump's entire cabinet explodes due to incompetence in the background, demons emerge from the ground and begin eating the innocent*
Yep, with him gone we can finally be free to make America great again, boy howdy!

Garrison's criticisms of McCain have a grain of truth to them (he really did sing bomb, bomb Iran, for example), but there's a lot of paranoid nonsense mixed in (Wikipedia is "state-sponsored"?), and in the implied context (pushing back against McCain's criticism of Trump's statements about the press), it's irrelevant ad hominems.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

Don't forget that a book critic who said mean things about Crichton's works once is inserted into that story as a pedophile with the tiniest dick in the world

That's in Next, not State of Fear.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

The Democrats do not need to manufacture any outrage, there is smoke emerging from the Trump White House.

I think that's the intent: There's a genuine scandal, but Democrats are trying to turn it into something bigger than it is.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Starshark posted:

I still haven't seen this yet but my friends who teach film studies/popular culture at Universities all said Trump's interpretation is completely brilliant and has put them out of a job.

Wow, you know CineD posters in real life? :v:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Ah yes, political families. Like Barack Obama, son of a Kenyan immigrant and a student. Or Bill Clinton, son of a single mother in Arkansas. Or Hillary Clinton, daughter of a textile shop owner out of Chicago. Such long political legacies daring back to the founding.

Don't be willfully dense. There are plenty of dynastic politicians in Congress, for example. And look at all the Kennedys who have held public office.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

well if you look at the EU

Before Legends became non-canon, everything Palpatine did was for the sake of saving the galaxy from the Yuzhan Vong, IIRC.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

the_steve posted:

Oh, there was planning.
Those plans are explained in one of the new novel trilogies that came out, the Aftermath series by Chuck Wendig.
Literally, the plan is "An Empire that couldn't keep me alive doesn't deserve to exist.", and so it is revealed that he had put plans into motion that would be sure to finish off the rest of the Empire in case he ever died, with a select few chosen to be hiding outside of the galaxy to rebuild.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Now that's the Sheev I know and love.

Different continuity. He wasn't even called Sheev in Legends.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

None of these are true, for those curious. I removed the ones that were half-truths-if-you-squint.

Hell of a hot take, Garrison

You left some that are at least debatable, but there's a lot of nonsense in there, yeah. What's most interesting to me is "Lying about being named after Sir Edmund Hillary" and "Vast trail of bodies left by the Clintons" on the same list. I feel like if he really believed in the latter, he wouldn't consider the former worth mentioning.

This is an aspect of Garrison I've never quite understood: just how sincere is he? Is a literal crazy person like Dees, an outright charlatan, or just a guy who engages in a lot of motivated reasoning?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 3, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

This is a mildly amusing and fairly apt visual metaphor from Benson, of all people. (I guess there's an intended implication that Britain's EU membership is a bad thing, but it works on an A Thing Happened level.)

quote:

This, on the other hand, is infuriating.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fates End posted:

Two Things Happened.

Three things.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pakled posted:

Given the path the right has taken over the past few decades, he'll be a moderate in 20 years.

Also, his rejection of Chevron deference, and assertions of executive authority generally, is potentially going to be an obstacle for the right-wing in the short term.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

21 Muns posted:

I agree with you that women shouldn't be held responsible for their husbands' actions, but if you're going to go with the Republicans' revisionist line that Bill Clinton was a misogynist, you might as well also accept their stories on Carter (TOTAL incompetent buffoon!), Roosevelt (EEBIL COMMUNIST), and Kennedy (probably had Marilyn Monroe killed or something, IDK, He's A Democrat Pee Pee Doo Doo).

If you're just gonna concede history to Republicans, how are you not just a Republican?

Lol if you don't think Bill was raping girls on Epstein's island.

Trump did it too, of course.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Someone should sit these cartoonists down and explain to them what free speech means

I thought a judge found that disinviting Coulter from Berkeley did violate her free speech rights, though?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tobermory posted:

Not unless you're thinking of Judge Jeanine Pirro, and she hasn't been a real judge in over a decade.

Actually, I was mixing it up with Richard Spencer at Auburn, lol. Though her supporters did file a lawsuit, which is what led the University to un-cancel the event.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Profiles:

Payne: http://imgur.com/a/C2ysj
Garrison: http://imgur.com/a/ZdFwM
Tinsley: http://imgur.com/a/hFGWV
Gorrell: http://imgur.com/a/rnrPT
Ramirez: http://imgur.com/a/QrEjj
Rall: http://imgur.com/a/xDjKV

Anything I should add to any of these? Commentary, essential cartoons, parodies?

These are great!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Voyager I posted:

It's closer to A4D with competent art, honestly, in terms of its political strips being a battle of too-many-loving-words vs facile strawmen.

It feels like Zelda is sometimes the one we're supposed to agree with and sometimes the strawman, though (although it can be hard to tell which is which...)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CountFosco posted:

What was it but nationalism, the sense that we needed to defend our nation and its democratic ideals, that spurred our efforts to defeat the Axis powers?

Nationalism was of course at the core of fascism's rise, but nationalism also was an instrument (among many) of its defeat. It's almost as though one can have a healthy, moderate nationalism versus an unhealthy, toxic nationalism.

The healthy, moderate kind is usually called "patriotism" rather than "nationalism."

Though the point about WWII specifically is an interesting one. It's often raised (in a slightly different form) by far-rightists: "We're not fascist because our beliefs are essentially those of Churchill/MacArthur/my Greatest Generation grandfather." Though in that context, the correct answer is probably to just roll your eyes.

The broader issue of the difficulty of motivating people to risk their lives for liberal democracy for its own sake remains, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 6, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I don't think it's one of Kelly's best. I prefer his self-insert-ness to be a touch more subtle, like this:

Is that a dig at Tinsley, or is that just a coincidence?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lol, you beat me to this one.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I never get tired of Bruce constantly and forever returning to Dinosaur Joke Well, even though it has long since run dry and he's just scooping up grit and dust.

The weirdest thing about Mallard Fillmore is that the non-political jokes can actually be fairly amusing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Richard Nixon's outrageous allegations against Alger Hiss, followed by his overwhelmingly red-baiting campaign for the Senate in 1950, made Nixon seem just as opportunist a demagogue as McCarthy.

To be fair, in retrospect, Nixon was totally right about Hiss. Nixon's Senate campaign really was outrageous, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

albany academy posted:

Jesus Christ, he's full on crazy now eh? You could tell me Dees wrote that and I wouldn't bat an eye

This one was actually less crazy than Garrison's usual lately. He didn't even say "Illuminati."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

American political cartoonists, especially the famous ones, are almost entirely part of the right wing hate machine. Part of it is audience; it's mostly published in newspapers and the primary market there is olds. Young people are more likely to get theirs news from the interblag.

This isn't really true; we just post and discuss the right-wing ones here more.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

They're all saying that CNN is blackmailing him, which would probably be the dumbest thing I've heard all week if this wasn't 2017.

The way the story is written basically does give the impression they're blackmailing him. Probably not their intention, but that's how it comes across.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ularg posted:

It's also very telling when Tinsley acts like people punching actual loving nazis is the same as beating up anyone who disagrees with them.

This isn't quite fair. People sometimes get beaten up for their political opinions who aren't actual Nazis.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ben Garrison posted:

He defended the Patriot Act, torture and unlimited surveillance of the American people. He didn’t question the phony, ‘official’ 9-11 narrative. Like his corrupt associate Comey, Mueller is a Deep State collaborator.

He’s also a bag man who easily bends to political pressure--another similarity he shares with Comey.

Wikipedia posted:

Mueller, along with deputy attorney general James Comey, threatened to resign from office, in March 2004, if the White House overruled a Department of Justice finding that domestic wiretapping without a court warrant was unconstitutional.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

I must have missed something. Where did :umberto: come from?

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think the Eco quote about continuous shifting of rhetorical focus is quoted too often, but the essay as a whole is very interesting.

Here's another quote from the same essay that used to be very relevant to this thread before DbD was banned:

Umberto Eco posted:

12. Since both permanent war and heroism are difficult games to play, the Ur-Fascist transfers his will to power to sexual matters. This is the origin of machismo (which implies both disdain for women and intolerance and condemnation of nonstandard sexual habits, from chastity to homosexuality). Since even sex is a difficult game to play, the Ur-Fascist hero tends to play with weapons—doing so becomes an ersatz phallic exercise.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

The latter is definitely proven given how much of a butt boy he is for Putin. Its that he himself officially collaborated with the RUssians to tamper with the election that we don't have the totality of proof for. Everyone knows it, but Mueller is assembling the proof. And wasn't Trump in the KKK years ago?

His father was in the KKK, not Trump himself.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crumb's interpretation of Trump is a lot more likable than the actual Trump. At the very least, he comes across as more self-aware. Though to be fair, Trump wasn't senile yet back in 1989.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

I'm not sure what point Branco's trying to make here, but I can't shake the feeling that it's racist.

My first thought was that it was suggesting that automation is a bigger threat to people's jobs than immigration, but that seems too sensible for Branco.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Interestingly, Muslims believe the forbidden fruit was a banana, while Yazidis believe it was wheat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shugojin posted:

This is such a compositional mess

Also which imagined scandal is "orgy island" supposed to be

Since it's in the Rape Reservoir near Bill Clinton's face, I assume it refers to Epstein's underage rape orgies on his jet and island.

Though if so, it's a weird choice, given how implicated Trump is in that.

Donald Trump posted:

He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 16, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The usual libertarian take on private property is that only applies to tangible objects. It's only bad if someone steals a physical piece of art. If someone duplicates your artwork and profits off of your idea without compensating you, tough titties. In Garrison's case, it's libertarianism for me, but not for thee.

I would say libertarians are divided re:IP. I believe there are both pro-IP and anti-IP major figures at the Cato Institute, for example. In general, views on IP issues don't really seem to map predictably to general political affiliations, perhaps because few major politicians make a big issue of them.

This doesn't remotely excuse Garrison's hypocrisy, of course.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

There are so many reasons not to use this kind of imagery and implication, even when criticizing a monster like the current POTUS.

There's an interesting article about this sort of thing here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2017/07/10/jokes_about_trump_being_gay_draw_on_deep_rooted_stereotypes_about_gay_men.html

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Because Ken "I will pass any possible charges against Clinton to the Republican Congress even if it kills me" Starr didn't see it as worth his time

In light of the Baylor scandal, Starr's evaluation of sexual assault allegations is not a very trustworthy metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

albany academy posted:

The bill / Epstein connection isn't total republican hooey is it? I thought that was pretty well documented by a number of accounts, not just Fox and Friends.

Oh, yeah, that too. Although I was under the impression that Fox types don't like to talk about it because Trump is implicated too. Also Alan Dershowitz and Prince Andrew.

• Locked thread