Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
still pretty sure this is what the n/v thread is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Like a lot of forums things helldump was cool at first but there hit a point where all the real weirdos were gone and people were trying to dig up every childhood 4chan post from random PI posters or whatever.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

come chat m'lord

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

It's important for a young man, a mere tyro, to have someone in his life he can look at and consistently say: I should do the opposite of what you did

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Send me the discord link the other one wouldnt work plz.

https://discord.gg/9zBnAyT

this one wont expire

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Doltos posted:

i dunno thats not a verified daltos twitter account could be a fake

that's true your real handle is https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

See verified and everything

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

That Av

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I like to say suck'n'gently caress party at work. It can work in basically any context

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Same but specifically alternator and also ion rather than tone. zap fools with your laser beams and bounce their dumbass bullets and grenades back at them

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Also don't listen to my advice because I too am tremendously bad at titanfall

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I'm reading The Name of the Rose (I never saw the movie), and it is a goddamned slog. I swear there's a 20 page description of what's painted on a goddamned door. The imagined 14th century monk version of history and arguing about current events is kinda interesting I guess?

Oh god do not read this book, maybe it'll redeem itself by the end but I'm bored as hell with it.

This is an incredibly correct post

One big thing is that umberto ecos academic career is in the study of symbology. That's a big part of the reason he spends so long describing those chapel doors. It's really cool to sort of lose yourself in the description as visions in a fever dream, like you do while reading naked lunch or fear and loathing or gravitys rainbow.

Building off of that is the way it ties into the core conflict of the novel between the practical, the political, and the mystical all backed by not only faith but the assumption of faith. Put yourself in adsos position, lose yourself in wonder or despair or whatever like he does.

And then in the meantime there's the mystery, which is ok on its own but again is built on symbology and this war between ideologies.

Also it does have good sequences in the end; wait until the payoff of the finis Africae, its worth it!

Also brother Jorge is named for Jorge Luis borges so that's cool.

Also a lot of that history is real: the heresy they talk about that ended in the massacre of its adherents was the Waldensian heresy , the cathars are real, it's set during the time of the antipope, which really happened. Remember eco was a symbologist and a medieval historian, he doesn't make things up when there's something just as weird that actually happened.

It's a really good book and once you're done read Foucaults Pendulum, which has less of the ancient history and more of the immediate, and is set in the present day (albeit the present day is 80s Milan). Can't wait to finish that and start baudolino!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I'm reading The Name of the Rose (I never saw the movie), and it is a goddamned slog. I swear there's a 20 page description of what's painted on a goddamned door. The imagined 14th century monk version of history and arguing about current events is kinda interesting I guess?

Oh god do not read this book, maybe it'll redeem itself by the end but I'm bored as hell with it.

Also irony voice your opinions are bad and you should feel bad. andey

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Also, but to be a pedant myself, Eco's area of academic expertise is semiotics, not [sic] "symbology"

Yeah, i was kinda trying to avoid the pedantry actually

Anyway I don't really find Eco pedantic except in the most.... pedantic sense, a lot of what he does shows off the depth of his knowledge but I think pedantry kinda requires an argument, or at least a dialogue. Since he's a novelist you're engaging with the work, not the author, so it's tough for it to be pedantic

Fucker

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Ehud posted:

What's a good book or series of books that I can get my brother in law who is in prison for armed robbery?

His interests include armed robbery, thug life, comedy and uh...I don't know what else. I'm just trying to get him something interesting that distracts from living in actual hell. I think he mentioned liking the Dresden Files last time, if that helps at all.

Anything by Solzhenitsyn it'll really take his mind off things

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

There's so many to choose from, but probably his "best friend" 1911A

Suck him off

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Cucumbers are also delicious. I don't care if they're devoid of nutrients and mostly water.

here's a pro tip: next time you're sipping on a delicious glass of water to rehydrate drop a couple few slices of 'cumber in there. refreshing 👌

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Would you like to know more?

https://discord.gg/yHHYezh

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Ehud posted:

Why is everyone I work with always sick and here I am with a perfect immune system always contributing dutifully to the company?

Is everyone just faking

Please advise

We've previously established that all your coworkers are figments of your imagination though

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

A Man and his dog posted:

Brown Thunder a two week ban is very excessive.

I'm asking for a redemption appeal. Please.

gently caress off

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

iospace posted:

Please post some choice bits :allears:

post some choice bits of your voice

in the discord voice channel

on discord.whitehouse.gov

unless you're scared. fair warning donald trump also talks on voice

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The northeast owns

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Seems like a good time to remind tff goons that we have a discord server!

https://discord.gg/yHHYezh

It has
- voice posting so you can call each other idiots about macronutrient ratios
- jokes so you can tell people that they are idiots
- no RG3 for reasons that should be obvious

Even our proud mod iospace is on it!

Join today!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Study some random organic chem books for two weeks, then ask the professor for the final exam and Goodwill Hunting that poo poo.

The only thing you study is your community service requirements please don't offer advice

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would say bring some food but considering those pics...

Maybe wine?

Actually that's a worse idea

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

zero

it all goes back to zero man

One

- Human

Adds up

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Volkerball posted:

It's because those lower weights don't have the record built up yet. Similar deal to Aldo. He dominated forever without getting too much hype, then he got knocked out by mcgregor and he was forgotten.

Yeah but this is the entire story of combat sports. You're the best until suddenly you aren't. Not a huge revelation

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Eli Wiggum posted:

Case in point: Ronda Rousey

Nah she was never good. Her competition was always terrible until holly holm came along.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

I forgot any kind of condiments. Kill me

I dunno about that bud. You've got lettuce and tomato slices, those are 8 classic condiments

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Imagine not liking clerks

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, its a fine diet if you are clinically obese and cannot seem to lose weight., but its a short term medicinal diet at best. Its definitely not something recommended as a permanent lifestyle choice though.

Also carbs are awesome in general

I feel like certain pop tarts need a certain level of preparation. Someone should become a pop tart sommelier.

Well then what's your diet bigshot

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Metapod posted:

Despite it being very long I quite fond of leaving la

huh here I thought most okies went to California

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

The Grateful Dead Are Good

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Metallica got really good once they abandoned the one-note approach characterized by their pre-Load albums. Their later work, King Nothing, Death Magnetic, and particularly Hardwired and them putting their unique stamp on some blues standards in Garage, Inc. stands as one of the greatest musical transition games of all time.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

No Irish Need Imply posted:

This thread moves along better if you ignore every attention seeking post RG3 makes so please keep it that way, thanks!

I have not listened to any Metallica since I was a kid. My big brother and cousin loved heavy metal so I know a lot of old stuff by them and Megadeth and so on. Maybe I should give the new stuff a listen, your description sounds a little hard to believe but interesting.

Also gave a recent listen to some old Guns n Roses. Still good.

Yeah, definitely do it.

I like some of the older g'n'r but it really doesn't hold up compared to Chinese Democracy.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

No Irish Need Imply posted:

The last video game I remember getting really into was Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl. I haven't played the new one at all.

Kirby bitch.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Welcome 30 club bro

Let's talk investing for retirement

I recommend diversifying from a 100% luchador mask strategy

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

i've been to this, they have an eve online exhibit and a dwarf fortress exhibit. What I'm saying is they're wrong

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Hey thanks for the advice fat boy.

I have six pack abs and a hot girlfriend. I'm good.

Go gently caress yourself. 👌😉

Phobeste fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 23, 2017

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

fsif posted:

Is this discord channel dead? I thought that was the designated RG3 containment zone

he was ejected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

actually im about to apply for PA school

one day you'll be on my OR table and when no one's looking I'll slice an artery and as everyone scrambles to figure out why your blood pressure is dropping so quickly i'll lean next to your ear and whisper dude, it's prom

50ccs of gluten, stat!

• Locked thread