Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Aethernet posted:

Good OP chap, cheers. Another five hundred pages of interminable definition discussion awaits!

Are xenos tasty or delicious? Are they best cooked or baked? And is How To Serve Man outdated in today On The Go cuisine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's 1.5 bringing?

More genocide options and humanitarian cuisine.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'll sum up a bit.

- Pop Ethics/Factiom rework: Pops now only have one (non-Fanatic) Ethic. Each Ethic (not Ethics combination, just every non-fanatic Ethic position) can now represented by a Faction that Pops will join. Dev diary
- New ethic slider: Authoritarian - Egalitarian. Dev diary
- Traditions and Unity: customizing Empires with special bonus trees. Dev diary
- Ascension Perks: further features to customize empire and provide "endgame" models for them. Dev diary
- Species Rights: entire species can now be categorized under Full Citizen Ship, Caste System, Slavery, etc. Dev diary
- Other fixes/additions, like pops becoming refugees to avoid being purged.

That's part of the unnamed upcoming DLC, not the Patch.

I think Ascension Perks was a paid feature as well.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Baronjutter posted:

I'd just be happy with a title that doesn't make the paradox staff cringe and shed a single tear of regret every time they read it.

I am sure there some people at Paradox that are not ashamed of Stellaris.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I dont see why we should have spaceships in a space game.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Blinks77 posted:

....Would be nice to visit primitive worlds and have them take to worshipping my spaceships as gods.

There's a mod for that.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756110740&searchtext=god

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Darkrenown posted:

Not only that, if you are both a cannibal and a lunatic you can eat your prisoners. As an important note, assuming you have Fantasy content turned on, eating people in CK2 has a chance of you gaining one of their traits and eating the head of a religion gives you sympathy for that faith. Stellaris really needs to catch up in the cannibalism area.

It's not cannibalism when they are aliens, it's sensible conservation to avoid overpopulation.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
So there is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism, unless you are xenophobic.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I am not a xenophobe, I just think that aliens are equal but separate.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Xenophobic indoctrination : Making sure that the natives knows you are dicks.

Xeno safari confirmed?

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 16, 2017

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Wasn't that one of the two hidden Unbidden factions?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

GunnerJ posted:

Apparently there are modifiers to government called "Civics" now. Interesting.

Surprised that Philosopher Kings is a positive civic modifier, would think endless discussions about collectivism would just reduce productivity.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

While we're talking about horrible things to do to enemy pops, how about a way to strip the brains out of your unfortunate victims and use them for computer parts? Mabye also a way to convert them into servitor armies, 40k style.

Wiz did say that in addition to becoming delicious, one could nerve staple pops to make them into obedient drones.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
"War and Peace" :v:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Soup du Journey posted:

oh neat. last time i played i had to do that manually so i'd get this eloi/morlock thing happening on my dystopian earth

Wait, does that not mean that your primary specie will be the tasty one?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Somewhere, in the vast expanse of my interstellar Theocracy, there is a cloning station where I can spam out Clone Soldiers

Where? Well, as far as I can tell I'm going to have to go through every single world in every single sector to find out.

I think I'm just gonna build a buncha psionic ones on every single planet instead...

It might be the planet "Clone Factory", next to "Battleship Factory". :v:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Taear posted:

I'm at war with some xenophobic llamas to my north and for some reason they've purged their whole population. I got to the first planet and could see they were being purged and when I hit their homeworld this is what I found.
http://imgur.com/8GXb1xb

For some reason I can't get it to embed.

You sure you did not blast them into oblivion with your bombardment?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Swedish Horror posted:

Hey, I wonder what the Stellaris hashtag on twitter has? Maybe funny screenshots or stories?

Oh.

Totally not xenophobic guys, it's separated but equal. I am sure they are all fine in their camps.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

OwlFancier posted:

Minor whinge but I always thought it weird that mind merged creatures referred to themselves in the plural in sci fi.

It would be like me calling myself a plural because I have cells.

The Aristocrats!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Dog Kisser posted:

I can certainly try - mostly now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the eye bone from the model's skeleton. That would be useful to know for pretty much all these drat blinking robots.

Maybe exhaust vents opening and closing instead of "eyes"? Or was that what the first one was attempting to do?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Why is Utopia cheaper on steam than on Paradoxplaza? Is it a VAT thing, since steam charges in my currency while Paradoxplaze charge in euros?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of fallen empires, it looks like you can't liberate them anymore. I dedicated my pacifist materialist game to building up to strike them before they awoken but took too long and they woke up. They declared war on the biggest empire in the game and thought this is my chance! Nope, I can only humiliate them, no liberation.

Can pacifists just not liberate period anymore, or was this just removed from FE's ? If so, how can a pacifist player ever cut them down to size or stop them from taking over the galaxy?

Now that pacifists are just straight up DS9 ferrengi that think war is bad for business (wait, but another rule of acquisition says war is good for business?!) they've gone from "kinda under-powered but fun for role playing" to "Hyper-capitalists who can never stop awoken fallen empires" Or am I missing something key with pacifists and dealing with FE's? My war policy is liberation wars.

Patch notes said you could no longer liberate Fallen Empires, cant remember if it applied to awakened ones too.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

uber_stoat posted:

skulls for the skull pit. hooray.

I think I am going to get Purified myself pretty soon. my aggressive neighbor is a fanatical purifier who has somehow gotten a hold of FE level tech and ships. rolling around with titans and endgame weapons. no clue where the hell he got it. Overwhelming x 3 in the power rankings.

The local xenophobic FE probably liked the cut of his jive, after being told that he would cleanse him in nuclear he'll fire.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

GlyphGryph posted:

Ideally it needs to be given a niche that isn't just "lovely eagletarian".

Maybe I'll put a mod together for this. Don't know how hard it would be. Let's see...

Here's an off the cuff wishlist for Xenophile:

Sounds like decent ideas.

quote:

- The addition of a "Vivisection Building". Gain +4 biological research from every species on the planet.

...wait, what.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Welp.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/867697234321825792

Edit: Motherbother.

Double edit: Should have gone with "Kill. Crush. Destroy.". I loved that game.

Triple edit: It was actually "Krush, Kill 'n' Destroy". My memory is bad. Christ, it was 20 years ago.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 25, 2017

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Decrepus posted:

KKnD loving ruled. The Starsiege cybrids were really good too.

HURT//MAIM//KILL

ACKNOWLEDGE//SUBMIT
Kinda like the back story for the robots in KKnD 2, where the automated farming robots from before the nuclear war were loving tired of having crops wrecked in the fights between humans and mutants, and decided they all had to go just so they could grow stuff in peace, regardless that the crops were not being used in the end.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 26, 2017

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Oh man, I remember that game. Or rather, I should, but I merely recognize it after 20 years.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Remember to spray and neuter your pets.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Fintilgin posted:

I'll never get why Firaxis paid for a voice actor and then only had them record like six lines. There should have been a bunch of greetings/insults/compliments based of relations, state of the game, era etc.

Probably controversial, but I'd love to see them drop the (admittedly cute) gimmick where the leaders speak their native language and have them speak English so that they could sell the character of each leader more. Three generic lines in sumerian gets real old real fast.

I like how they did it in Rebel Galaxy, where the programmer invented alien languages by using google translate a few times and voiced the result without actually knowing the languages.

Edit: Whoops, should probably not have responded to something 3 weeks old.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah...imagine

Hah!

:smith:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Playstation 4 posted:

Bow before the best machines that will ever be.

Rouge servitor indeed.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

uber_stoat posted:

the Culture is big on the whole personal freedom thing though.

the trope is old and there are tons of examples.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsYourFriend

God drat it, why do I keep falling for the tvtropes trap, guess I should be happy I just lost 2 hours.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Ofaloaf posted:

I finally started working on Victoria 3 overwrites for the Synthetic Dawn portraits:

Yessss.

Stellaris is my favorite game that I don't play. :v:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Poil posted:

I hate trying to play while being bombarded with how awesome things are going to be in the next big dlc patch, again. :f5:

Why waste time with displacement?

:toot:

Yay, processing.

https://i.imgur.com/JjjDHwu.mp4

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Splicer posted:

It looks like they're crying :gonk:

Silly biological engines just think they have feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIAvQa9v9Xk

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 27, 2017

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Splicer posted:

Uh Wiz I'm digging around in the deposit files and I think there was a copy-paste error with the spawn modifiers for Alien Pets and Betharian Stone, unless the intended implication is that Betharian Stone is secretly animal poop.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

LordMune posted:

IIRC a mipmap issue when you're running on Low settings. Should be fixed in a patch or two.

Is this the new Soon where it gets fixed in 3 to 5 years?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Splicer posted:

Same. I also like the orc, and will enjoy killing the gnomes.

Space hipster orcs.

"I spent last year committing genocide on this quaint little planet, you probably never heard about it."

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Benagain posted:

Attachments are dead thank god.

Those poor commissars. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Artificer posted:

Will we get alternative victory conditions soon? Something like Civ's tech victory or something like that? Other than the ascension slots, obviously.

I liked the suggestion that players would get assigned ethic based goals at start, it was for mp but could work nicely for sp so one have something to work up against.

• Locked thread