Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

gently caress it, cross posting from the shattered remains of the January thread.

bend posted:

We're doing something like that with the middle daughter (also 9). She didn't steal from us though, she just continually loses everything. It was ~$200 in school uniform gear last year that disappeared completely within three months of purchase, plus all sorts of other random poo poo like books and toys and things. Now she's got a tab running on the fridge (we were lenient and started it at $100) to pay it back. I think she's down to about $80 now and strangely enough hasn't lost anything in about six months

My daughter seems to have stopped losing her personal electronics (lost a DS, and a couple of MP3 players) when we didn't replace those and made it very clear that if she lost her phone (when we got her one), she wouldn't be getting another. She likes playing with the phone enough that it sunk in, I guess. She did eventually get another DS, but she paid for that with Christmas/Birthday monies.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As long as we get more covering why the whole shitfight started in the first place and how the narrative of OUR BRAVE SOLDIERS FIGHTING FOR DEM FREEDOMS!!!! is in fact a rancid bunch of crap.

The thing that stuck with me is how the soldiers of WW1 were so clear on how loving stupid the whole thing was. So many of them just bluntly say it - they fought for nothing and they were suckered in by lies to give up their lives in a pointless bloodfest. They HATED the patriotism that crept into remembrance services towards the end of their lives.

I would love to be able to say the truth about Gallipoli without being strung up - Gallipoli was a stupid pointless invasion of a country the ANZACS had no quarrel with. The current wave of jingoistic bullshit that surrounds WW1 really pisses me off - No one died for your freedoms, they died in a meat grinder for no good reason at all. And maybe the lessons of WW1 might actually be learnt by more people.

Not to mention that WW2 was a direct result of how we treated the losers in WW1.
That said, in both wars many men did very brave things for their countries and their comrades, despite it eventually being at best a moot point. That doesn't diminish the bravery.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

People have time / energy for sex.....?

Once a month or so. It doesn't help that my wife and I have different bedtimes/sleep patterns. Also, teenage daughter.

Goober Peas posted:

What do you have against librarians :laffo:

Edit: I had a convo with someone who confused the two. It was an eye opener :stonk:

Don't confuse Libertarian and Liberal, either. That gets some results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

He wanted Trump to win because of the immigrant population in his neighborhood.

I try to not say anything about immigration, at least when done legally. My grandmom is from Germany, other side is from France and Belgium originally, and there's even some eastern European according to DNA testing. Not an ounce of Native American, so I've got nothing to say.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ilkhan posted:

*types post*
*deletes post*

*sigh*

Yeah, that too, a lot.
I don't think there's a "safe" position on immigration no matter what you say... Or even what you mean by "immigration."
The USA is what it is because of immigration - it's disheartening how many people don't get that.

edit: garage stuff. I dug out a bunch of rusty, but essentially new/unused, saws from the shed last weekend. I rescued them from my wife's grandmother's shed. They're rusty because the shed was partially open, and because they were stored in a cabinet with some sort of concrete cleaner acid (muriatic?), which container leaked, and made everything in the cabinet rust or corrode, including the steel cabinet bottom completely disappearing. There was a Wagner power scraper in there that the plastic started getting fuzzy and disintegrating, even. It was weird.
Anyway, I put them in a tub of Evaporust last night. We'll see how they turn out this evening. I only had a quart, though, so I may have overtaxed the Evaporust with the pile of saws I bumped in there.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 31, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Coredump posted:

I'm guessing over here being the US right?

Sounds about right. That's part of the outcry over the current administrations new policy. It took these folks years to get their green card, and now it's worthless.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I made my low profile ramps out of 2x10s, come on guys.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/

I've got something like that, just two boards high, to get the jack under my RX-7s and stock-height Kia. I keep resisting the urge to get a Horror Fright low-profile racing jack.
BTW. where does one take one of those jacks to race?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

It's a "racing" jack because it's mostly made of aluminum and therefore light enough to be lifted into and out of a car, so you can drive your racecar to the track on street tires and change wheels once there. As opposed to a mostly steel floor jack that weighs considerably more.

:thejoke:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

gently caress Amazon. This is twice now that orders with guaranteed delivery dates and times haven't arrived. UPS and USPS both love marking packages delivered when they haven't been. I pay extra for prime, too. So not worth it if they keep this up.

I haven't the foggiest of ideas why they let USPS anywhere near packages for Prime. Those fuckers couldn't deliver a speech.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slurry_curry posted:

^^ the worst is when something gets shipped via FedEx, then they hand it off to USPS for delivery and it mysteriously disappears for a week.

Exactly this. I dread seeing that. I don't understand how FedEx isn't getting tons of complaints about them using USPS as last mile. It's not working well where I am.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Saint's Row 3 and 4 have a "sex appeal" setting which affects boob size on the ladies, and package size n the men. No jiggle physics for the boys, though (definitely for the ladies - I may or may not have created a character with monster tits and then just jumped up and down and quickly turned side-to-side a lot.)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A good hairdresser / barber is worth it if you find one who does a good after cut head massage

edit : I probably could just go for a good massage right now

Got one, and I happily go to an actual Salon and pay the $30 for the cut, shampoo, and scalp massage. I've been using the same stylist since I got my long hair cut off right before SW Episode 1 came out. I don't have to tell her how to cut it, unless I feel like a little longer or shorter than usual. She always makes me look good (as I can.)

CommieGIR posted:

Rebuild valve lifters or buy new ones?

Also: Aluminum or Tri-Metal connecting rod bearings?

Trick question. Obviously, you can rebuild solid lifters, which is what any ~*real*~ engine will have

CharlesM posted:

Foster's... AustralianFreedom from Beer?

FTFY

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We'll just mail him a box full of funnel webs and note saying "gently caress off ya orange oval office"

Please do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How is this Trump vs Turnbull poo poo playing out in the US?

There's just been the biggest collective "What the ...?" here. Does this idiot understand Australia has literally been the USA's best and most reliable ally for 70 years?!?!?! Plus the whole thing about how the gently caress do you manage to cause a international incident with Australia before any other country?????

Wow, just wow. And what, we're only at week 3?

It's Trump. Do you really need to ask the questions? If it doesn't directly related to how awesome Trump is, then no, he doesn't understand it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Random good news of the day: for the hell of it I decided to submit my kart club membership through my "wellness spending account" at work not really expecting it to be approved. Just got an email confirming they're reimbursing me the cash so I get track access for a paltry $100 out of pocket this year.

That's awesome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

I have a bit of an Apple hardware collection, but my only post 2000 Mac is this dual 2.0 G5 I bought for $20 and it is super picky about RAM. Its the DDR1 version, and it doesn't even like RAM from different manufacturers with the same JEDEC information. have Apple RAM from 30 pin SIMMs up to PC133 168-pin DIMMs, but nothing in plain ol' 400MHz DDR. Anyone remember any better choices than generic sticks from Amazon?

MacTracker says you need PC-3200, 2.5V, unbuffered, 8-byte, nonparity 184-pin DDR SDRAM (matched pairs) for all G5s except the very last one (Late 2005). I do remember them being a bit picky.

bend posted:

I want my dog, he passed last year. Apparently the missus is getting me a new one for xmas (it's taking a while ??), i just don't seem to have any say in what sort of dog(she loved the old bugger, she just didn't like that he was my dog, not ours as such. Apparently buying a neurotic midget will solve this. I'm working on it ). As to relationships, when it works out it's worth it, other wise gently caress'em . It's not worth your time to pine over some girl (or guy) who just makes you feel like poo poo anyway.
Spend your time on good friends and good things, Mr or Mrs right might turn up and if they don't well then that's life, and a better life than being treated like a oval office by someone who says they love you.

I'm getting a bit worried about out dogge. In the last month or so, he's basically gone blind from cataracts. Like, a month ago, he was snatching food out of the air, and now he doesn't even see it coming. I have to tap the food on his nose before he realizes it's there, poor guy. Other than that and insulin for diabetes (possibly the cataracts are related) he's healthy, so I imagine he's got a few more years yet, but he's in his late 40s, early 50s in dog years for his size. Still active and good energy. He's just going to have to learn to use his nose more. Right now he's more confused than anything.

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Crucial.com has never let me down when it comes to obscure memory. If you use their compatibility wizard they have a money-back guarantee to ensure you get the right stuff.

Yeah, we've always had good luck with Crucial for machines that are picky about RAM.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

So, in tv chat, I just learned that there's a show on by the name of Riverdale, that claims to be "A dark and mature take on the classic Archie comics!"

I, Uh, huh. Who was asking for that?
How many people even know who Archie is?

Archie the comic is still ongoing, and updated for the times. Er, so I hear (no, really. My cousin is an assitant manager at a comics shop, which is great. He brings my daughter My Little Pony comics.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Am I wrong for wanting to buy a CAI for my Scion because the stock airbox has two out of three broken clamps, and a used stock airbox is more expensive and will possibly break all over again? I mean, I'm not into CAIs but i can get a brand new DC on Amazon for $150 and it has great reviews, non oiled washable filter too.

[e] also my Scion has a slushbox don't judge me :colbert:

If it's truly a *cold* air intake, rather than the more common hot air intake masquerading as a performance piece, then sure, why not?

sirnollem posted:

I know there are a bunch of Electrical Engineers here. Am I correct to be leery of this or could it end up working well? Seems to be an even worse connection than backstabbing the outlet is. https://www.snappower.com/snaprays-guidelight/

They pull so little power I doubt there could be an issue. And I've looked at those myself. Pretty neat. Tad pricy, but I'm a cheapskate.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

I suggest building a manual transmission Jaguar XJ as therapy: http://xcessivemanufacturing.com/index.php/jaguar.html

...I think I need a 2JZ manual Jaaaaaag XJ now. I mean, every hillbilly has a SBC/auto one, but a straight-6/5- or 6-speed?!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Yay I finally got around to doing a clean lap of the Nordschleife with the Aztek. Unfortunately the Xbox DVR only captures 5 minutes at a time so I'd have to make multiple clips of the replay to get the whole thing but it's not really worth watching it all. It's just for fun :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl3N1vD7UO4

I love your livery.

edit: oh, yeah, there was a sports thing today, right? Yay winning team!
(I didn't even watch for the commercials this year. I got some poo poo done around the house, and watched Voltron.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Surely an unmolested 180SX MUST be obtaining unicorn status...?

Calling it now, those are gonna be worth a bomb in 20 years in stock form.

Edit : Just out of interest, who are the main single marquee car hoarders here? Kastein I know is Jeeps, CommieGIR is Audis, I've gone crazy with Subarus.... anyone else?

I've ended up with 7 Mazda RX-s: 5 first-gens and 2 second-gens.
Also, two 70-72 Olds Cutlasses, 1 Ford Crown Vic, and 1 Kia Spectra5.
4 of those cars run, 3 drive. The 4th will move, but only in first gear (Cutlass. 200-4R is buggered.)

Powershift posted:

future roadkill episode spoilers(the guys doing snow donuts in a future roadkill car): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H--hmcp1Me0&t=153s

I've gotta say that's loving awesome

(Relatively) Short Lincoln!

1: what the hell engine is in that Beetle. Looks like a narrow V6.
2: the helicopter has GOT to be SpeedyCop.

Lots of other cool rides in that vid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tide posted:

Why is paypal site in chinese? wtf mate

It's not?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tide posted:

it is for me

Check the language encoding on your browser.
Try another browser.
Try another computer.
Give up on the internet for today.

InitialDave posted:

Man, it didn't click earlier, $5950 is £4800.

You guys get hosed on used car prices. That's literally double what those kinds of cars are here. Given how cheap new stuff is in the USA, it's nuts.

Well, yes, but, unless you're up north, our cars aren't a loose collection of rust and parts in 5 years, and are therefore worth more.
Anything running and moving under it's own power is generally worth $1000 here. Particularly since most states only require "safety" inspections, and those inspections are a joke. We don't have to worry about spending $TEXAS to fix stuff to pass MOT, which in itself is $TEXAS. State safety in Texas is $7 without emissions, $25.50 for the ODBII test, and $31.50 for the treadmill test, plus a smaller fee on registration (must pass inspection before getting reg.)

edit: it varies a lot state to state, but I don't think any of our inspections even approach MOT. I'm only experienced with Texas.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 7, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

I paid £29.99 for this weekend's MOT and if you go to a council test site they have no incentive to falsely fail you. I prefer the existence of our system vs some of the systems you have in the US.

I also got an advisory, they won't check a seat belt if there's a child seat there, which I can sort of understand but it's also dumb.

Huh. Thought it was more than that.
And yeah, I much prefer going to a place that just does inspections. There are some that will not charge if you don't pass, even.

Used car prices are a function of supply and demand - I guess the market is there vs. new cars in the US. I know I prefer used over new. The dealer experience coupled with the massive depreciation of driving off the lot cinched it for me.

edit: also, a car payment can go piss up a rope.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Uh, is it just me, or is the moderator icon actually a poop emoji? Just noticed that in the 400 pounds of concrete Crappy Construction thread.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The turbodiesel is all well and good, but I keep thinking how much fun that would be with an LSx under the hood. And a lot less stinky.

angryrobots posted:

Maybe it will work out fine, but imo that's a dangerous road to go down with close family.

So we rent my wife's old house. Long story short, we rented it one time before and it went really badly. Was cleaning up and preparing to put it on the market for sale after that episode went wrong, and my current tenants came by and begged me to rent to them. "We can buy within a year" they tell me. One of their moms lives on the same street and they like the area and blah blah blah

Well it's going on 4 years and no sale. Currently the lease (rent to own, technically a lease with option to purchase) has run out and we verbally agreed to extend another year (but that's it), however I haven't yet drawn up the new lease. I was very clear in the beginning and in the contract that I wasn't doing small repairs like broken appliances, and now he's bugging me about the stove not working, mind you after paying rent a day late.

How loving dumb do you have to be, to annoy your (reluctant) landlord about some dumb poo poo when I can post an eviction notice on your rear end in the morning and have you gone in a month? And when I offered to repair it he gets kinda snotty, because I think he expects to get a new one for some reason. One more headache I do not need.

I bet they would get the picture when you put up the "For Sale" sign in the yard. Since there's no lease, you can certainly list it for sale. Might light a fire under their rear end.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

scuz posted:

Idiocracy is likely a documentary sent to us by the time traveler Mike Judge.

It's so true it hurts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

No. One, because I really don't care for V8s and I don't want to go the easy route. Everyone does an LS. Its like the LEGO of car swaps.

Two, I want something with fuel efficiency and towing power. That means diesel. And diesel is easier to tune and add power to.

Three: loving LS/LSx/Modular swaps piss me the gently caress off for no particular reason. Because its the easy swap. I don't want easy, I want a challenge.

Heresy!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've fallen in love with those Howard Leight shootymuffs. They have two microphones and amplify sounds, so you can be in the woods and hear a squirrel fart. But then when it gets loud (like angle grinding or shooting) they muffle and cancel the sound. Like $40 but I've got two pairs.

My brother has a pair of them, and they're pretty neat. I have a pair of Ryobi muffs for yardwork/garage that work the same way, but are powered by their 4V LIon stick batteries. They're a lot bulkier (because of the battery), but they also provide slightly more protection. Both the Leights and the Ryobis have an MP3-player input as well, which is nice when mowing.

Geoj posted:

I think I'd rather take the reality portrayed in Idiocracy than our current reality.

At least in Idiocracy the dumbing-down was supposed to have been across the board, so even those at the height of power were idiots. Instead we have an idiot electorate who elected an idiot figurehead president who is being controlled by a literal white nationalist - who is admittedly crazy, but far from stupid.

I was just thinking that. At least when everyone is stupid, you don't notice. There are times when I literally wish I were a lot less smarter, so the kind of dumb poo poo that happens wouldn't bother me. Either that, or I was way smarter so I could think my way around it/make a bunch of money and leave. I'm in that smarter than average (not difficult) but by no means genius area (I think. Seems that way to me.) Smart enough to know how much smarter really smart folks are?

CommieGIR posted:

And I don't care. As soon as I hear some car is an LS swap, I just lose interest and walk away.

If you want to LS swap your Mercedes/Audi/Toyota/etc. just got buy a Corvette or some other GM/Chevy and just be done with it.

If you want a Chevy motor, just go buy a loving Chevy.

What if I like the car/styling/handling, but their engines are crap?
I mean, I hear you, I not only own an Oldsmobile that still has an Olds engine, but several RX-7s, all of which still have non-operating rotaries, but perhaps you've heard of "hot-rodding"? It's a thing where one takes a common/cheap body and chassis, and fits a common/cheap drivetrain in it, then you go fast/loud.
It's also one definition of Automotive Insanity.

cursedshitbox posted:

But then you're stuck with herpes on wheels known as a gm product. They do make good powertrains. everything else is hot diarrhea.

And to an extent, that.

Don't get me wrong - I like OEM-style swaps, interesting engines, and things built to a purpose as well. I was looking at that wagon with an eye for the utility of a wagon, MB tank-like solidity, and V8 power with decent fuel mileage, from a daily driver viewpoint. You're looking at it for a different purpose.
I like diesels, but unfortunately, I really hate the smell. I still get a kick out of the several 6BT-powered hot rods I've seen, and a few Duramax powered muscle cars. I think I could live with a 4BT '80s minitruck...

Fermented Tinal posted:

You people and your engines that have more than four cylinders. :rolleyes: What are you compensating for here?

A lack of horsepower in 4-cylinders?

Powershift posted:

I was actually looking at the 1.0 ecoboost.

They're about $1000. 2 door falcons were about 2200lbs with steel body pannels and a cast iron everything i6 that made 95hp. Imagine a little ~150hp i3 and fiberglass panels. You could have a sub-2000lb "muscle car" that gets 40mpg.

I kind of wonder how one of those would do in a first-gen RX-7. they did alright with 104 HP and 100 lb.ft. Wouldn't be far off the original engine characteristics. More HP and probably torque.

cursedshitbox posted:

You guys keep buying up and arguing over what ls goes where. I'mma go round up inline six diesels and swap everything.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I agree, inline four diesels for everyone.

I know someone's done it to an RX-8. Any bets on getting a 6BT in an RX-7? 4BT is too easy.

nm posted:

Only hipster cred emgine swap is biturbos in everything. Ferrari engines in Fieros are cool too.

I think a Ferrari V6 or V8 in a Fiero would be pretty loving cool, but I like the Fiero's styling, at least the GTs and Formulas, anyway.

CommieGIR posted:

The moral of the story is don't suggest an LS swap in place of a Mercedes Diesel to me.

Wasn't suggesting it to you. I was saying what I saw when I looked at the ad. Calm down. You do what you want, not that you need my permission.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want a 1UZ swap. Japanese V8. I want it because I grew up watching US TV shows with cars which had V8s and I've forever loved the noise...

Japanese engine, Japanese car, American soundtrack.

These too. I keep looking at Youtube videos of LS400s with modified exhausts...

edit: pity Mazda never made a V8. That at least would be keeping it in the family to swap into an RX-7.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbCBmuluF4

For those of you who like Big Clive, you really need to watch this one.

I'm not saying anything, other than listen to the entire commentary.

Off, Sore, and Agony.

Well, OK, then.

I discovered throught the related videos to the first video on that product (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClSch3zLC0k) the concept of "fidget spinners", and I'm flabbergasted what some of those things cost. I mean, I get it - I like fiddling with spinny things (disassembled hard drive motors work well), but Jesus:
https://fromrussiawithknives.com/ckf-pepyakka2-spinner-torqbar/
$200+, when they have them.

DIY ones are cheap though, with Chinese bearings and some hardware or bicycle bits.

Just an observation that hipsters will pay stupid $$ for useless objects, I guess.

kastein posted:

have you tried doing one? I recommend you do that before you tell people it's easy.

And :lol: you can't possibly loving be serious about a mercedes diesel having towing power.

In terms of parts availability and knowledge, I see what he means, but yeah, even swapping the same engine in and out of a car is sometimes painful.

quote:

e: oh jesus loving christ who gave me this, I'm not sure if it's worse or better than the last one

I need to give you back the toy Jeep.
edit: I liked the toy Jeep. It made me smile every time you posted.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Yeah that's Jay Bauman.
I wonder if Hatch recognized the costume he was wearing.
Also, I still love the Stu Phillips score. He also did the Knight Rider theme. :)

Holy poo poo, I remember that movie. Even had the title song on a tape for mowing the lawn, along with a dozen other cheesy sci-fi movie themes.

Liquid Communism posted:

I wish. Doing 4x12's right now and my work week's just starting.

We have a TV in the office that's permanently set by policy to MSNBC. My half-cube faces it. There is no escape.

Oh, that's just mean.
Any chance you can get HR to fight it based on discrimination?

It's kinda funny that as an adult you're just now discovering what cicadas are, what part of the country did you grow up? I grew up in the northern US and remember them during the summer, in the south there's a poo poo ton of them, and it can get pretty loud sometimes if there's a bunch of them in one tree. For the most part I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me, sometimes I actually find the droning sound they make relaxing.

Cicadas are pretty much how I judge summer in Texas. Cicadas humming? It's summer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Coredump posted:

I don't know for sure if what I'm hearing are cicadas. I just know they're bugs that are annoying as poo poo at night while I'm trying to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mah26og11ms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQwlv9cKgWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2qksq1Fs-s

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Coredump posted:

Thanks for all those. Yeah none of those videos really have the constant eeeee type drone these bugs are putting out. Seriously if that's what I listening to outside my window I think I would be better able to deal. The bastard of the situation is as loud as the sounds are to my ears my phone's microphone doesn't pick them up so well. But next time I'm laying in bed cursing my existence I'll try to record a sample of them.

When they really get going, it can be a constant drone, with a little warble.

edit: like this, but he didn't really capture the volume of it, really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AwC6nTDU2U

edit 2:
This is more what I'm talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUPtFS9aVg8

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 8, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's it, that's what I was talking about. Texas ones sound like that when they really get going. Neat that Japan is the same in that respect.

Liquid Communism posted:

We have retarded automated Starbucks machines. Terrible coffee, terribly treated. I bring in a thermos from home with the dark roast a local roaster used to make for the bakery I worked at before it went under.

We've got your standard office drip machines and pump pots, but use Starbucks food-service coffee packs. It's burnt to gently caress, of course, because Starbucks. I had to put a ton of creamer and sugar in it to make it drinkable. Since I moved offices and am nowhere near one of the break rooms, I bought a $20 5-cup Mr. Coffee, and brew my own. Just Folgers or whatever (had Dunkin Donuts vanilla the other day), but so much better. Also, I'm sure that the pot gets cleaned every use. Lately, my wife has been making coffee at home in the morning, so I haven't been making it here in the office. I don't need a lot of coffee, just some in the morning, usually.

Safety Dance posted:

Is it ironic that the lid is stuck on this can of Kroil?

Use WD-40 to unstick it.

I was going to find the one where Dale lubricated a slightly sticky cap on a big can of WD-40 with a little can. This one is even better.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

That's a good description. I usually like a darker roast, but even Starbucks' milder stuff is burnt to poo poo.

A associate opined that it's because Starbuck anticipates you loading it up with cream, sugar, whip, mocha, etc. Teh burn it so you can still taste something resembling coffee through all the poo poo.

Adiabatic posted:

Continually living outside of your comfort zone makes you grow as a person and keeps you from becoming bitterly entrenched in your ways. College and full-time work together will definitely spur that.

Makes me think maybe I should change jobs. I've been at the same place for 17 years (as of this month!) albeit under three different employers, doing more or less the same job. At least with the latest version, I'm basically the entirety of Mac support, which comes with some managing of the machines, packaging software, etc. that I didn't have before, or on the Windows side. I think if I dive more into the environment management stuff, it might be a bit more interesting.
I'm trying to get the company to spring for the $$ to go to a training week for the management software we're using, but it's $5K.
I could probably figure it out as needed on my own, but I learn better in a classroom/project environment, and trying to learn it under pressure and having to work on routine tickets at the same time is no fun.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

I see your afla romeo and raise you one of these:

That was another car at the dealership I bought the versa from. Only hint is it's a Nissan (they used to be the local Nissan dealership until 5 years ago).

Z32 300 ZX, in what one magazine of the time called "radioactive banana". Actual name is Pearl Yellow Metallic or thereabouts. I think the former fits better.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don't know if you're doing anything to mitigate the heat, but vent visors, a sun shield and tint makes a huge difference inside the car. Requirement in Florida.

And Texas. I think we invented the branding-via-seatbelt thing.
I am impressed at tools out of the sunlight being too hot to handle, though.

Cop Porn Popper posted:

Anyone here heard of or used riken tires before? I noticed them on tire rack and they're cheap as hell which worries me, but all the reviews I can find so far are basicly saying its what it appears to be. A cheap tire that isn't anything special, but doesn't have any glaring flaws, doesn't try to kill you in the wet, doesn't wear too quickly amd doesn't ride harsh. The company was apparently a japanese owned company that was bought out by michelin (gently caress remembering how to spell today) in 1992. For $250 for a set of 4, thats damned tempting to run them for a year to see what they're like.

Edit: And its going on the wagon, so its not like it needs to be some super high precision track tire that'll grip to the moon. It ain't going autocrossing, its going around the corner to work.

I've got a set on my FC RX-7 (stock 15" size. 205/60-15, I think.) They're fine. Mine a dry-rotting a bit, but that's because I rarely drive it. Grip is not awesome, but adequate, even with them a little crispy. I can get the rear to slide if I try, but it's generally well-behaved. Wet grip seems fine. I don't have my records here at work, so I can't comment on tread-life quantitatively, but they don't seem to be wearing unduly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I learned a very painful lesson several years ago.

So both ears are pierced, with decently big plugs in them (16mm, or 5/8").

I had left some stone plugs sitting in the car all day. And threw them in without really thinking about how hot they might be.

:supaburn: right in my earlobes. I don't think they were in the sun, but it was July or August.

:supaburn: indeed. But imagine if it were dangly bit jewelry. :getout:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm going to assume that's a king's son who goes by the name of Albert.

cursedshitbox posted:

orangegropenfuhrer

This is now my go to Trump insult. Bravo.

the spyder posted:

I've determined I need a stupid project. Something that involved a engine swap. I'm really, really tired of rotaries. Well, not enough to say toss a 20b into a Jaguar, but still. I need something awesome in my life. This has lead to me perusing the grassrootmotorsports build threads. God help me.

Well, you seem to have plenty of nice chassis, that are pretty easy to stuff other things in. Go for it. Embrace the blasphemy.

John Wick 2: I trust the reviews of Howard Taylor, writer and artist of web comic Schlock Mercenary. His tastes are compatible with mine. While he enjoyed the movie, it did not cross his "Threshold of Awesome." Much like Ikhan said, the story is basic and straightforward. The fight scenes are good, so watch those.
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/john-wick-chapter-2/

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's not griefing, that's shot shaming.

Yeah, griefing is killing that one guy over and over, in as stupid a way as possible, or just generally making his game hell.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

We went to the henry ford museum today and it was p cool

Here's an old Bugatti and some other neat things

I was annoyed that I didn't get away from the store I was refitting early enough to make it to the Ford museum when I was in Detroit in '10. It was, however, the week before Dream Cruze weekend and my hotel was on Woodward just south of Pontiac, so there's that. If I'd have realized it, I would have paid to stay Saturday and left Sunday instead of coming back Friday. Likewise, I was in Philly leaving the 3rd of July...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Biscuits and gravy are all well and good, but the one true Southern breakfast will always been country fried steak, hashbrowns, and eggs. :colbert:

WITH biscuits and gravy. Duh.

Cop Porn Popper posted:

Over easy or scrambled are the only correct choices. :colbert:

Close. Scrambled with cheese is correct

Goober Peas posted:

On another forum I'm on, someone asked for a definition of what constitutes 'Classic'. Seemingly every boomer said that 'Classic' should only apply to things from 1950-1969. And actively argued their point. These are the people who are making America great again :rolleyes:

My 1970 Cutlass would like to have a word.

InitialDave posted:

Is this car show run by :corsair: types by any chance?

Almost always.

nm posted:

Classic ends at 1976 because after that I have to get it SMOGed.

Move to a state where the DMV isn't run by eco-Nazis.

Doges:

Is there anything more pitiful than a blind dog in a cone of shame?
Thanks to diabetes, he went blind from cataracts in the course of about a week. Because it was so sudden, he didn't have time to get used to not being able to see, so he's having a hard time of it. He still moves too quickly, without probing ahead. The cone is for the protection of his head, basically. He managed to dislocate his tear ducts ("cherry eye") last week from crashing into stuff. He's learning, and the cone should come off this week.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Depending on what kind of soil you have it can be either super-easy or stupidly infuriating to dig the post holes. But, as long as you can get the posts plum and an even spacing from each other, the fence panels are pretty straightforward (well, if you go with a simple design, I guess).

You could probably shave a good 1/3rd (or more) of that price off by doing it yourself (again, depending on materials), but you'll pay for it in sweat. I highly recommend renting a power auger for doing the post holes, though, if you can use one. I did the post holes my parents' backyard privacy fence by hand but that's because it's all gravel here past 6" down and the power auger just kept stalling. That summer was literally the only time in my life I could be considered "buff" (also, sunburned).

gently caress building fence forever. I spent a summer of weekends once helping my dad rebuild the barbed-wire fence on my great-uncle's property that our property adjoined. This is North Texas, and better still, more or less a hilltop, so there were rocks everywhere. We had a tractor (Ford 8N) with an auger, but it would get stuck on the bigger rocks. Guess who got to be the designated rock breaker and soil tamper? My shoulders were in good shape that summer...
Best part is that that side of the family went full rear end in a top hat when Uncle Buddy died, and the property ended up being sold to developers. All my hard work torn out in the span of hours.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

funny Star Wars parody posted:

someone routinely has a loud, flappy wank in the stalls on my level

Next time, applaud.

Or gather a few cow-orkers in the restroom, and wait him out. Just stand there facing the stall with arms crossed as he comes out. Then applaud.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

scuz posted:

LOVIN that new av :swoon:

Wow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tomarse posted:

You don't get 43cm wheels stupid - They are 415mm....
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_TRX)

390mm is the one we got most here in the US, thanks to Ford. A friend had a set in his '84 Cougar, back in '88-89. Tires got too expensive so we got him some junkyard 15s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The highlighted bit is a US thing. Never seen a UK recipe use that because as mentioned before in this thread, WHAT SIZE OF CUP?

A "cup" is a unit of volume measure = to 8 fluid ounces, or 236.6 ml. What's so hard about that? It's a standardized unit, just like liters or whatever.
I mean, when something calls for 3 feet, do you always "whose foot?" (Or even whose yard?)

E: f,b. Twice.

• Locked thread