Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

DuckConference posted:

The "buy a used HP jornada on eBay" craze and SH/SC was a crazy time

I was veeeerrrry close to getting pulled into that, but I think my experience with a sharp zaurus (pda which ran linux) helped keep me balanced on the side of sanity

yet weird pocket computer type things in strange form factors still get my nerd juices flowing for reasons I don't quite understand. remember UMPCs??? :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i didn't have an orinoco card back in those days, but i had a usr 56k modem with the popout x-jack connector, and some of the payphones in my city had rj11 jacks on them for just such use.

in hindsight it was cyberpunk as gently caress

atomicthumbs posted:

and I definitely installed a debian distribution called 720degrees on it and used it to watch torrented episodes of star trek outside

:popeye:

man all I ever did with my zaurus was read ebooks, you guys were way cooler

oh and played pokemon but then the emulator stopped working for no reason. also had doom on there but the controls were poo poo and it had no sound because the zaurus wasn't fast enough :lol:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

goldmine

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

How do people remember dragging a window around really fast and maxing out your CPU load pre-vista?

if u turn off aero you're pc will have more megahurtz!!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

infernal machines posted:

oh good now we can have two mutually incompatible standards for wired headphones. make sure you buy the android compatible ones, not the iphone ones!

you knew this was inevitable

what's really fun with usb type c is that it can either carry analog audio in alternate mode or whatever it is, so you'd only need effectively a cheap pin-adapter to use regular headphones, or if the headphones were usb-c then they wouldn't need a dac. oooorrrrrrr the phone doesn't do that and therefore you do need a dac.

so i'd expect future anroid lols with a clusterfuck of usb to 3.5mm audio adapters and endless end user confusion :toot:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

worked great for palm!

:smith:

i had a palm pixi on sprint.

ugh.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

akadajet posted:

lol a furry with a fat fetish wants to be treated like an adult

it feels something like 50% of twitter is furries these days. or at least just the poo poo that tends to get posted here in yospos. i dunno its weird.

Don Lapre posted:

Froyo widgets are back. Stock OnePlus rom

i've never really used android and have no idea what this means

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Perplx posted:

check out his brutalist house, who wouldnt want to come home to this

https://www.wallpaper.com/architecture/james-jannard-beverly-hills-residence-idgroup

:eyepop: this looks like something straight out of a bad 80s sci-fi action flick and I kind of like it

but lmao at the entire house being that way, that's gotta do a number on your head

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

nutted but android is still sucking

new thread title found

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

thought this was a president beep post for a second. not as funny when you realize op is being serious

nice av

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

it hurts to see palm's name get tossed about from company to company, one shitphone to another :(

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

President Beep posted:

looking forward to the palm/blackberry collab

i just fukken gagged

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

qirex posted:

google is currently going buck wild with corner radii

between this and rounded corners in screens i think we're seeing the start of a new dumb design trend overall

another 2 years and in windows 10 applications will have rounded corners

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

should also say established april 20th 1969

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

so on the android phones that don’t have headphone jacks, do they just have Bluetooth as an option or do they include a usb to 3.5mm dongle? do they come with headphones with the appropriate connector?

just curious if they’ve cheaped out on that aspect.

i dunno which phones include what but apparently usb-c to 3.5mm adapters are a bit of a clusterfuck on android https://www.pcworld.com/article/3284186/mobile/bring-back-the-headphone-jack-why-usb-c-audio-still-doesnt-work.html

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

is he the dude who had a long public meltdown because someone teased him over his spikey bracelet

that someone was jean-louis gassee

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

remember joojoo

earth dollars

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i remember the coby kyros ~*~in the club~*~

lost to the ages, that video. or maybe cuz yosposters were making GBS threads all over the comments idr

also https://www.burpandfartpiano.com/

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

LastInLine posted:

they stopped updating the stations when the replacement announcement was made like a year ago and they stopped letting artists upload new poo poo just recently

what really, how recently? im seeing new releases from this month on gpm

regardless holy fuckin' lol does ytm sound like utter dogshit, even worse than I'd ever imagine. I should probably start switching over to Spotify now.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

webos devices had a dedicated gestures area (with nifty led lighting that would trail the gestures you made) and there was a back gesture. it was pretty nice.

so yeah ios and android are still totally catching up with webos :c00l:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

i love my display extending into the fourth dimension

get back to me when they go across the 8th dimension

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

droid was an rear end in a top hat magnet brand.

it was a manly brand for manly men too manly too handle the feminine curves of a Crapple iShit [img-android mascot eating apple logo and spraying poo poo everywhere]

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

Motorola managed to make a folding phone that isn't COMPLETE poo poo

That is, until today

edit: I'm the table tennis camera mod

those are just unofficial renders based off of a patent https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_2020_to_resurrect_moto_mods-news-40382.php

time will tell if they actually produce and release something that poo poo

kinda reminds me of that hosed up starship-enterprise-looking 2-in-1 laptop acer made

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

praise sundar, google forgot to turn off google music last year. from the looks of things they might actually cancel the successor before the original, inbox style

we could only hope

google's music ambitions are as aimless as chromeos though so who knows what'll end up happening.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

why don't you guys just buy an iphone se at this point?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

butt dickus posted:

gigablast is horseshit, it's their highest tier so you get 1000 down but only 35 up so good luck running cameras on that, and it has a 1.25tb transfer limit per month. at&t put fiber in my neighborhood and i switched immediately. it's half the price for symmetric gigabit with no cap and it cut my latency in half

are you confusing cox and comcast or is cox offering identical service to comcast (right down to the data cap)?

either way the major cable companies are embarrassing dogshit and loving lol at the name "cox gigablast"

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

crepeface posted:

that reminds me i've been using YouTube music since google play music has been discontinued and it seems... okay? better, even, in some areas. :monocle:

sorry about your brain damage

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sereri posted:

:yossame:

I still feel like GPM was better but YM is just god awful

all of the streaming services are flawed in one way or another. after trying a few it's actually surprising just how many things GPM got right. it's got music locker functionality, was pretty good for finding new stuff (recommendations and radio stations), and library management was acceptable.

i'll most likely be sticking with apple music, primarily because of icloud music library. but there's a very clunky separation between your library and just browsing apple music, GPM was much more fluid. and of course itunes on windows is...far from ideal.

but so it goes with any technology choice, everything sucks just gotta found out what sucks the least for you personally

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Add the music to your phone first?

"you're holding it wrong"

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

to this day i have no loving idea what a nest does better than any other programmable thermostat, and the "learning" claims never made sense. i'll just program the goddamn thing to turn on when i'm home and off when i'm at work.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

webmail is unusable garbage

thunderbird is also unusable garbage

as a thunderbird user i can confirm this

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lol chumby

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

all oses are poses, this much is known. and while most of them are comical, fuchsia is in the category of oses that exist solely to provide comedy (such as hurd) and have no practical application.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

google ought to start haphazardly recycling old branding like microsoft does, that really spices things up!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

qirex posted:

the google play book store will eventually be relaunched under the name google reader, angering everybody

lmao yeeesssss :getin:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

qirex posted:

the list of not fully supported models includes tag heuer's $2000 limited edition mario watch that hasn't even shipped yet

holy poo poo this is some kind of matryoshka doll of lols

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Man I wish webos had taken off

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

where are my special 3-fingered gloves for operating my dumbass huge touchscreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

never 5get dyp bingo

old as hell but still a ton of poo poo which applies today

lol @ the tethering square. i don't think that's as popular as it once was, maybe replaced by idiots hoping for starlink to be their ISP savior?