Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I've spent at least 10 minutes combined practicing crouchjumping on the tire by the yellow container on lobby island. I'm going straight to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Skoll posted:

Once again, impossible to police.

Your stupidity is impossible to police. People grouping organically in solo games are such an outlier that it's not even worth considering. If people clearly cooperate in solo games, it's because they've queued together and are on third party voice coms, obviously. It was a big problem in the A3 mod that preceded the game, and PLAYERUNKNOWN came down hard on it there, and I'm glad he'll do it here too. If you want to duo, play duo.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

Which FPS do you think is the most similar to train aim for PUBG? Originally I thought that CS:GO was a good idea, but I've found that CS:GO is not a great deal since most of my friends who reached Global Elite, really suck in this game.

PLAYERUNKNOWN's: Battlegrounds is pretty good for this.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I legit don't understand the gripe about training. If you want to practice shooting, just drop early on the highest loot spot near the start of the plane route and pick up a weapon and start shooting. You're not gonna run out of ammo. Either you kill people and keep going, or you die and start again. It takes like a minute to get into a new game, which is as long as it takes the ARMA 3 practice range to load (which btw is the closest thing to what you idiots are asking for). The only weapons you won't be easily getting by just dropping instantly is the M24, the AWM and the M249. The M249 is just a SCAR with a really extended mag and the M24 and AWM can be practiced using a KAR98 no problem.

If you want to go pro, practicing one specific aspect is literally a worse use of your time than practicing every aspect at the same time, since shooting is like 10-20% of the game anyway.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

Only because some posters are hard headed. Let me quote this unironic gem: "You're not gonna run out of ammo."

Don't take it out of context. What I said was that if you drop in the earliest high-density area, you die or win before you run out of things that go bang.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Some people also claim that certain areas like the military base spawn better quality weapons, but I'm not sure anyone has verified that.

This is definitely true. Checking 100 loot spots in Yasnaya apartments doesn't yield anywhere near the same quality loot as 100 loot spots in the military base, or even in Novo or the south Georgopol container areas. The hangers in Primorsk, Lipovka and the Quarry/Crater give higher quality loot per loot spot too.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

TheFonz posted:

You also stood deadass still while picking it up... Strafing would have helped there.

God, this. That was painful to watch.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Broose posted:

Does this game show any signs that of the devs fading out after they got their sweet early access money like pretty much every iteration of this genre has seen? Or is it too early to tell? I haven't kept up with these types of games very much since when dayz was just a mod, but this game is fun to watch.

Serious answer: Don't worry about that, PLAYERUNKNOWN has been making Battle Royale games for years. I've played his ARMA 2 and ARMA 3 mods for the last several years and he's also done paid work on H1Z1.

He's been doing this genre, and doing it well, for so long now. I don't see why he would suddenly stop now that he is making a ton of money doing it and has full freedom to design things outside the constraints of the ARMA engines.

Unlike Dean Hall, who accidentally made DayZ without ever knowing how, PU knows that the three most important aspects of these games are:
-Guns. Many guns.
-A big ol' map to roam with features that lead players together (high loot areas in DayZ, zone and loot in BG)
-Crappy ol' vehicles that blow up easily but are great for transportation

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

What's the goon kill record and how do I declare my intent to beat it?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You're dangerous! What mode was this, have a replay? You ruined 15% of the people playing's game :D

This was solo. No replay but I landed in military, picked up a double-barrel to get the first two kills. Looted SCAR and Kar98 and 4x scope, went up on the hill overlooking military and picked up 1 more kill. Then I got to a boat, crossed over and picked up 3-4 Kar98 kills midgame. Got an 8x scope and a suppressor for it and absolutely wrecked the final 10 which was in one of the orange corn fields where everyone prones.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

literally this big posted:

Goddam is the jank in this game unbearable.

Dropped into military base, and was the only one there. Got a bunch of great loot, but of course the first circle forms around the north-western quarter of the island. Managed to find a UAZ, and floored it in that direction. See a guy on a sidecar-bike, and decide to ram him. He stops, and I ram his rear end at full speed. Die, fucker! ... But wait, my car has become lodged on top of the bike. He takes no damage, dismounts the bike, and unloads on me as I try to figure out what the hell just happened.

This is a special feature called "reverse realism vehicle space physics" and most of us hope it never goes away.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Playing with goons is on a whole different level of fun than solo games. Here's some dumb bullshit from a game today. Apologies for the crappy video quality, I'm still messing around with some settings to try and maximize quality without impacting muh precious frames.

https://youtu.be/BZjnBGnQ1Gc

Oh my god use your Alt key

Tokubetsu posted:

popped my chicken dinner finally, solo with no ammo for my m16. all hail patience and the vector

https://streamable.com/w6n9h

Oh my god same

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Dropshots are love, dropshots are life. I basically never lose engagements between 5 and 50 meters anymore, assuming I have an AR or UMP.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm coming in from r6siege where specialty gernades are awful, I'll have try that.

They're awful here too. Shock grenades are a joke and currently smoke grenades render differently for every player, which means your cover isn't where you think it is. As Tonetta said, you need to either drop a load of them over an area or throw them directly at the guy you want others to target.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

A conservative/safe playstyle is bad both because you simply win fewer games doing it on the short-term (because you will be massively outgeared and outgunned by people who've killed 10 others and looted them) and also because you develop your skills much slower for the long-term.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Proer tip: A level 1 helmet is a big step up from no helmet. It's the 1->2 step that isn't a big deal.

Weapons that one-shot headshot with no helmet:
-AKM
-Groza
-M16
-M4
-SCAR
-M249
-Revolver
-SKS
-Kar98
-M24
-AWM
-Crossbow

Weapons that one-shot headshot with helmet 1:
-Kar98
-M24
-AWM
-Crossbow

Weapons that one-shot headshot with helmet 2:
-Kar98
-M24
-AWM
-Crossbow

Weapons that one-shot headshot with helmet 3:
-AWM
-Crossbow

TL;DR: Getting a helmet 2 is nice but not crucial. Getting a helmet 1 is a must. A 1-hp helmet 3 beats a full health helmet 2 because of this as well.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Parachute tips:

First, figure out where you're going before you jump, and mark it.

Once ejected, use the compass to instantly point that way and click W. There's two bars on your height meter on the left: The full bar (the gray bar) and the smaller parachute bar (the white bar).

There's three distances to consider: Close (less than 1 km ish), medium (1-2 km) and far (2+ km)

If you're going somewhere close, use the wing of the plane to make sure you drop so your path is perpendicular to the path of the plane, so you minimize flight distance. Fly with the camera horizontal enough that you drop at 126 km/h until you are about 300m out from your target building, then look straight down. If you turn from horizon to straight down with about 300-350 meters to go to your target building, you should slowly lose all forward momentum and start going straight down with about 150 meters to your target building, which is ideal. You need to start looking straight down no later than just after half way through the full, gray bar. You still hold down W at this point. No other buttons need to be touched.

Once you get to the top of the white bar, your parachute will start to open. You need to hit 234 km/h to do a correct close drop. 233 won't do. Here's the important part of a close drop, that most people gently caress up: As soon as the parachute starts to open, let go of your W key. This will allow you to preserve some downward momentum even though your parachute is open, and you will notice that your downward speed will reduce over a few seconds from about 130 km/h and down. Don't touch your W key until your downward speed is down to around 70 km/h, at which point you look down and hold W again. If you are very close to your target, circle down for slightly more downward momentum. This is not super important. The actual big difference between good and bad close drops is whether or not people let go of W when the chute opens. Again, good players let go of W when the chute opens, assuming they managed to hit 234.

If you're going somewhere medium, fly horizontally until you're about 500 meters out from your target, then look down for the last remaining bit before the parachute opens. Once it opens, hold down W and fly directly to your target. Tap W instead of holding it to get further distance with the parachute if you're otherwise going to be short. This will delay your landing, so only do it if you're going to be short.

If you're going somewhere far, you're usually best off flying horizontally towards the target, holding down W the whole time after your parachute opens and making sure your chute opens over or near a road, so you can look for a vehicle. Opening your parachute early to fly far is usually a trap. Someone will get a vehicle and beat you to it.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Holy poo poo you're bad. Holy poo poo they're even worse

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

TwatHammer posted:

So as it turns out, getting smushed by a bike is just as amusing as you'd thing it would be.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticAstuteSharkRalpherZ

This pains me to watch. Why not keep running to the car wreck in front of you, jump on that and then shoot? Then you're safe and can take them out easily.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

revolther posted:

I'd like to see an endurance mode with a day/night cycle and no circles. Just squads holding up for hours turning into days hunkered up in small sections of towns.

Then if people don't eat enough berries, they get teamkilled by bears.

I've been saying that I'd like to see the game without circles, with permanent, rejoinable servers. Keep vehicles in, make them respawn after they explode, make loot respawn over time. Bam, instantly a better version of DayZ.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

The game has a an effective range stat for each gun, I assume that has some relationship to bullet-hits-ground distance assuming a level shot and plane.

Do the physics of the game allow you to headshot yourself with a gun fired straight into the air?

Effective range is damage as Duck said, the thing you're talking about is zeroing.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

abigserve posted:

So I quickly browsed the PUBG subreddit (lol) and holy poo poo people are mad about keys. Many people are screaming about how it's going to ruin the game, some even drawing parallels to the abject failure that is CS:GO.

To be fair, it does suck that the lead dev and face of the game said "we won't charge money for cosmetics during Early Access" after which they start charging money for cosmetics during Early Access. This is about the blatant lie as much as about the price of orange shirts.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

It's not like they can't test a key system without charging money for the keys though?

I don't understand why people are so willingly accepting having to pay through microtransactions for a game they've already paid for. Sure, it's not mandatory, but why does some content even need a paywall? I understand it from a dev-POV, because they make a killing doing it, but as players and customers, we're allowed to be dissatisfied and voice our concerns. It's sort of the same crab-bucket mentality as the american anti-union sentiment, writ small.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 27, 2017

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't think anyone is in love with the micro-transaction business model but what's the point of complaining? It's coming anyway. I've seen a lot of Reddit crybabies going on about how they promised no micro transactions before release, but they also promised they'd be at full release within 6 months and now they're saying 8 or 9 and no ones crying about that. So at the end of the day, micro transactions and full release are coming at some point, does it really matter when?

Plenty of devs have actually changed their business model based on volume of feedback at this point. There's even plenty of examples right there in the Reddit "crybaby" threads.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Hockles posted:

I love this sequence

Douche: "BARN BARN I just knocked one"
Chill guy: *takes shots* "Uh, I just got shot at. Maybe barn?"
Other guy: "Yeah, I don't where at"

Yeah he was being a dick and all but his teammates were clearly complete morons

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

On a scale from 0 to DOTA, how penetrable is this game?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Gealar posted:

Have you ever been around a fan or light that dims/slows down when something power intensive comes on the same circuit? Same idea for the computer. Something kicks on that requires a bunch of power and it slows down the rest as power is diverted.

imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Alt+Print Screen will generally capture the full screen image

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

LordNat posted:

Dying when getting out of cars is random. I have been at full stop on a hill and died from the car rolling an inch as I was getting out.

Did you die from falling or from the car hitting you? I've so far never died from jumping out of slightly moving cars, which I do all the time.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

tehinternet posted:

You're such a poo poo poster -at least be funny if you're going to post worthless posts. I guess you're at least disingenuously representing my argument now?

This is a good post that makes good and fair points. I still might not agree that it's a problem that you guys do, but I can at least respect the position now (not that that matters, but still, his argument holds water). Take notes, BBJoey! Maybe next time you can be less of an unfunny, zero content poster!

Yo shut the hell up, you're the one posting garbage. Noone owes you a detailed explanation of basic concepts that have been covered in the thread ten times over.

For content:

The devs could have easily made each special outfit set $2.50 to purchase outright and kept the boxes free and with a random chance to have any one piece of any outfit. People would still buy multiple outfits to mix-and-match or based on what map they were playing or whatever.

League of Legends have a setup pretty close to that and they're literally printing money (2015 numbers have it at 8 times the revenue of CS:GO and the game itself is F2P)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Bad news on the horizon apparently

quote:

Bluehole-Kakaogames to sign publisher agreement for PUBG

(https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/6tlj5g/blueholekakaogames_to_sign_publisher_agreement/)

quote:

No articles I could find in english yet, so the Korean link will have to do for now.
This is an absolutely disastrous decision for them to make. Kakaogames has not only hosed up numerous promising games like Tera or BDO, but also they are all about the money.
Soon, this game will turn into a pay to win with people spawning with weapon accessories at the start. You're gonna see things like '10 day 4x Scope' items that give you 2 4x scope from the start. The game will be absolutely ruined by the hands of highly inexperienced and money driven korean game publishers ( who have a lovely record of mmorpgs and recently flooding the mobile game industry with cookie cutter gamble money drainers). I mean even China has better publishers who can see the bigger picture and have really increased their ability and capacity despite them also growing up on cookie cutter mmorpgs.
I just pray that in any case, the damage will be limited to Korean servers (as much as I would hate it since I'm in Korea) and let the world enjoy a less monetized pubg. Its the first good game to come from a domestic developer (plus the long developed idea from PU himself).

quote:

Kakao is literally using their games as a loving cash cow to fund their other stuff, like taxi service ETC. They aren't a real publisher. This is actually disaster, don't expect this game to live the 10 years that PU wanted. Bluehole will be forced to add as many cash cow features as they can, then they will be downsized until only the bare minimum staff remain who can maintain and implement more skins or whatever, until no one plays it. The worst part is, despite the blatant monetization, they won't actually invest back into the game, all the money will go towards their taxi and other services.
I played BDO. We were promised over and over again, "this game will not go p2w, this game will not go p2w. We will cater to our American and European audience" Every patch, they introduced one or two minor things, the community would be in an uproar because they were skirting the edges of what was acceptable, but there would be enough people saying "this isn't REALLY p2w so it's ok!" so that they could continue. Then they went full p2w overtime. Despite promising over and over that they wouldn't. They ruined what was supposed to be the next dream pvp mmorpg and turned it into a pure cash cow.
RIP our hopes and dreams.

But let's keep talking about how reneging on the no-paid-content-in-EA-promise is no big deal

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

I think this screenshot really highlights the fact that the rating formula weighs heavily on volume. Compare that with this https://pubg.me/player/Enigma89/squad and see how much lower the rating is.

Not calling you out specifically, but it is interesting to see that rating really favors volume of games. The more you play, the higher your rating will be regardless if your stats are really that decent or not.

Is this a serious post? Of course you need volume to climb. Even if you're winning every single game, which is a statistical miracle, you still need like 30 games to get to a decent rating. You don't just climb by volume though, you climb towards your true rank by volume. If someone with 25 games played wins a lot more than someone with 400 games played, but is ranked lower, it's because the former hasn't played enough games yet to climb to his true rank, whereas the latter probably has.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm genuinely amused that there are all these goons wanting formulas and probably spreadsheets for how things like loot distribution works to the T, the Discord's badness rating and how exactly player ratings are calculated. Just play the game, maybe you'll get better and won't need to worry about any of it.

Yeah, really. I get a Kar98 in 100% of games where I don't suck, and if I suck, I don't deserve one and won't make good use of one anyway.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Confer posted:

Woah, wait a minute. The head doesn't act as one big hitbox? You can actually shoot at the open areas of the face and it will bypass the helmets protection?

I'm 95 % sure that's not correct. The helmet covers the face too.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Number one thing people do that they shouldn't: Prone way too much.

I just won a solo game I should have lost. Two of us left. He had a long dip in a hill to hide behind, I had a single rock in an open bit of grass. He knew exactly where I was, I knew that he was somewhere along the dip, moving around. Final zone had us both out, so I figured I was hosed, since we'd both have to move at about the same time, but he'd know exactly where I'd start from, whereas he could be coming over the dip from anywhere along the 20 meters or so it stretched.

Instead, well before the zone started moving in and forcing our hand, he came crawling over the top of his hill, while I was still in full cover behind the rock. It was the easiest thing in the world for me to pick a side of the rock to lean from and tear him apart before he even got a shot in. He had the game won but decided to use his prone key to throw the drat thing away.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The randomness is a great thing IMO, it forces you to improvise and learn to use different weapons, fight in different settings, etc.

The game can be an e-sport even though it's random. It's not going to be a top-tier esports machine like CS:GO or DotA, but tournaments built around the entertainment of viewers is definitely a viable path to take.

I mean, even if loot was de-randomized, the circle is still random and is arguably a bigger factor in who wins and loses. You could de-randomize the circle too, to make it narrow around one point the whole way through a game, but that would lead to vastly increased camping and less movement in general, which would make the game less watchable.

Keep the game a random, chaotic mess and people will enjoy watching even if their favourite streamer might lose a round to getting only pistols or getting three bad circles in a row.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

In poker one game has many many hands which are basically all distinct, and your luck evens out across a tournament. Of course over many games of PUBG your luck will also even out, but one "hand" (i.e. your starting drop location's loot) is potentially 30 minutes long. Not really the same thing.

There's an extent to which you're right, but also finding 3 sniper rifles in a single house (which again has happened to me a couple of times) should be staggeringly unlikely.

There was a similar RNG problem in Dota2 - characters with a low chance for a critical hit or ability with chance of effect (say 10%) would fairly often get 2x critical hits in a row in the early game which can lead to a kill on an enemy. Whilst technically this is pure and correct RNG and fair enough, it still feels like bullshit if you're on the receiving end of that. They changed it to a pseudo-random chance which greatly reduced the whole double-crit problem by making it so that once you've had one crit, the chance of the next hit being a crit was very unlikely. They'd still get the same number of crits over 100 hits say, but the output would be a lot less "spiky". There's an explanation here: [url]https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wu6BspkLHVwJ:https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Random_distribution+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk[/url] (I linked to google's cached page because gamepedia wouldn't load for me).

I hear what you're saying but I much prefer the game to be full random and think it can be an excellent spectator sport even so

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

My best win yet, I think. Duos, my partner died at around 35 left with me at ~8 kills. Killed three two-man teams in the final 10.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Unironically my favourite setup that doesn't require airdrops at this point is Vektor with Red Dot and M16 with 4x.

The M16 with a 4x is the best gun in the game from 50 to 250 meters, the Vektor has the highest DPS inside 50 meters and at higher MMR levels, people don't stand still long enough for the Kar98 to outperform the M16 at medium and long range.

Most of the time I'll take any full-auto AR with a compensator as a replacement for the vektor, and a kitted-out SKS is basically as good as the M16 as your 4x gun. It hits a bit harder but is less accurate, especially on the follow-up shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

succ posted:

plz teach me how to get rich in this game

Confer posted:

Have insane RNG with the loot boxes = free money

This + go on your non-main server to collect 1000-1500 points per round

• Locked thread