Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

Prey isn't as scary as SS2 though. I blame the retrofuturistic 70s wood paneling decor. :v:

SS2 has enemies that randomly respawn while you're in the level, that's what always did it for me. Being in a tight corridoor solving a puzzle and hearing a hybrid was always tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Reinstalled this game and I'm enjoying it so far

Just got to the Yellow Tulip right after getting the lift field. Which lead to this:

http://plays.tv/video/59b745dec74b8d46db/dance-party?from=user

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Is that some kind of upgraded shotgun like the golden gun? Or just a unique skin?

Edit: Oh wait, that was a pre-order thing wasn't it?

Pre order shotgun yeah. I think the only advantage is you get it before you get the normal shotgun since it's in Morgan's safe in the lobby.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I'm a little ways into this--current storyline objective is making it to Deep Storage via Psychotronics--and it's everything I wanted from Bioshock. (I liked Bioshock, mind, but it wasn't what I expected.) Thus far I've spent my Neuromods on Repair, Hacking and Leverage on the basis that one of those 3 is the solution to getting past almost every non-keycard locked door. However it's starting to catch up to me now that I'm regularly running into the purple phantoms and mimics. Fortified turrets only carry you so far. Will the base level of Combat Focus make a meaningful difference?

If you're going human heavy take the base combat focus and 1 level in whatever lets you upgrade security weapons. Then maybe 1 level in firearms/sneak/the speed perks. That will let you upgrade the shotgun a lot more with upgrade kits.

Unless you're going full engineer, then get combat focus and put the points into the wrench instead of the guns. You'll really want combat focus for wrenching. Or use leverage to throw giant boxes at enemies. Combine it with sneak for big laughs.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

The wrench also needs to be smacked with a wrench.

Wait where did you find that 2nd wrench?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

skeletronics posted:

I finally finished this last night. I got the I and Thou achievement, even though I wasn't expressly trying for it. I want to do No Needles and Split Affinity next, and I do not want to cheese the split affinity by just reloading a no needles save before the end. I want to actually play through with Typhon/Human only powers. But that's 3 more playthroughs. I have 39 hours on my first. I did take my time to read every note and email, and did a lot of exploring, so I'm sure subsequent ones will be a lot quicker. Like if I beeline the main quest and ignore side stuff, but the whole point of playing again is to see stuff I didn't the first time. So I don't know...we'll see how deep I get before moving on to something else. :shrug:

Anyway, great game. I loved it. Now, having never played a System Shock game, and having SS2 in my steam library, I want to give that a try. I read somewhere that there are some mods out there that make it more pleasant to play in a modern age. Anybody know what those might be?

I ran the vanilla just fine, but the graphics are bad even for the time they came out, everyone's face is like half nose.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Thermal and etheric phantoms are the best for phantom genesis because they teleport to you. Otherwise you kind of have to lead them through some doorways as their pathfinding is basically a straight line.

Also they stay alive in the level until something kills them, even if you leave.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just finished the game through the credits.

I *knew* there was a reason this game reminded me of Breakdown (the game).

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Nightmares aren't really dangerous, they're just imposing looking.

Frankly all the enemies in the game fit into that once you get psychoshock and the zapper gun, because they can all be stunned and clubbed to death at that point. If anything the most dangerous ones are techno/telepaths, because them fuckers float away from you and you can't brain them.

The 3 energy powers + psychoshock pretty much leave anything dead and you can cast them all at once. Definitely trying on nightmare.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Vakal posted:

Unless some DLC comes out that says for sure, all we know from the ending is:

That the Typhon made it to Earth somehow. That TranStar is a real company. And that Alex exists and had a sibling named Morgan that is presumably dead.

But, Alex does repeat the same line though in the ending - "we were so focused on putting what you could do into us..." which suggests that TranStar had really done experiments with Typhon neuromods. So considering that it probably means the Typhon probably did break out of a containment lab somewhere. It's just uncertain if Talos I existed or not.

The ending is very similar to a plot point from a 2006 game called Breakdown where the main character gets sent forward in time by nukes and alien magic and they have to reconstruct his memories using a machine so he can save the world from the alien apocalypse. The intros are really similar too.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 15, 2017

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

Point taken, and thanks for digging out the quote despite that, but it pretty much confirms that your summary is at best hyperbole. Yeah, after D2 and Prey failed to meet expectations, the writing's on the wall that Arkane might have to do more mercenary work like Dark Messiah for a while, until they can get more funding for games they'd like to do. But D1 was exactly what he says he wants to continue to do - a mainstream game that also works as an immersive sim.

It's just that between the widely reported technical problems at release, and the lackluster plot and story arc, D2 couldn't maintain that mainstream appeal.

As my roomate said, D2 just felt like an expansion for Dishonored instead of a sequel. The gameplay didn’t change very much.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

Really conflicted -- I'm about halfway through the game and running human-only on my first playthrough, but there's a part of me that feels like I'm just denying myself the fun of the Typhon powers for a pointless achievement and a future playthrough that may or may never happen.

I have little independent thought, internets. Reinforce or disabuse my notion of a human-only first playthrough!

That achievement is the only reason to do typhon only or human only. Blow poo poo up with your mind if you don’t care about achievements.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
You get enough neuromods to go pretty deep into both human and typhon powers. I was upgrading the wrench at the end of the game because I didn’t know what else to spend neuromods on.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

IMJack posted:

My theory is that the Weavers can't make Phantoms out of corpses that have been brainsucked by Mimics. The drive isn't 100% reproduction, or else it would be nothing but Mimics making more Mimics and not investing resources into Phantoms and evolved Mimic forms.

Weavers make phantoms out of any body they find.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Entropic posted:

Is it just me being lovely at games or is this game really hard? Playing at normal difficulty, I'm getting absolutely murdered by enemies like Phantoms to the point where I almost feel like I must be missing something in how to effectively fight them.

I've got to the arboretum and cleared the elevator to get back down to the lobby, but I seem to be hitting a wall where I'm running out of ammo, psi hypos and health packs.

Where's the easiest recycler / replicator station area to get back to that hasn't been re-populated with enemies that will completely murder you?

Conserve resources.

Never fight something without stunning/disabling it and never fight without an advantage, especially multiple enemies.

Stealth really helps but you don’t necessarily need the upgrades to make it work.

Psychoscope everything you fight to find out how to stun or disable it.

Explore a lot to find alternate paths. There are almost always multiple ways into a room (this is why upgrades for stealth arent absolutely necessary). There’s a lot of verticality to almost every area.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 4, 2017

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Entropic posted:

So I ended up just restarting and having a much easier time of it now that I had some idea of what I was doing. Probably didn’t help that the last few FPSs I played through were DOOM and the Wolfenstein games.

The main difference was being way more focused in my Neuromod use, going for stealth damage and weapon upgrade perks, and upgrading the hell out of the shotgun so that most Phantoms are new easy pickings.

Now the main gameplay bottleneck seems to be acquiring enough Mineral resource to fabricate ammo and neuromods.

How does one make best use of the recycler grenades? It doesn’t seem obvious which enemies they hurt by how much or if I’m supposed to be throwing them at stacks of inanimate objects just to generate resources. They never seem to provide much and it’s a crapshoot which objects they pull in. The main use I found for them was nuking heavy objects blocking access ways before I got the Leverage perk.

Use them with a typhon lure or pile up junk to recycle. Also, psy hypos are incredibly abundant so it’s not a bad idea to recycle those. Also also recycle any extra weapons/food you find everything.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Entropic posted:

Is it worth it to skip typhon powers entirely to focus on a straight weapons build? Are there any typhon powers that should be considered essential? The mimic stuff seems kind of gimmicky and not obviously useful. Are the energy attacks effective or should I just stick to shotgunning Phantoms in the back?

All the aimable energy typhon powers basically stop time while you aim them and they 2-3 shot stuff when comboed. The resistances are also great, summoning phantoms is great. The wonderful thing about this game is when a power looks cool to use, it usually is.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ladron posted:

alex just sounded to me like a fat guy who had to walk two blocks to find out the mcdonalds ice cream machine is broken and he's just so sick of this poo poo

Sounds like Kublai Khan to me

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

That was the previous title of this thread, though :confused:

Yeah, pretty much the same (although I heard about it from other places first and then went and looked for this thread).

OTOH, if they had marketed it as a spiritual successor to System Shock, I would have been extremely suspicious and suspected Bethesda talking about things they have no clue about, especially considering what a disappointment the last game to get that marketing was.

Yes. Yes you should.

These days you can even get the "enhanced edition", which supports mouselook and key remapping and (if you're running windows) requires no futzing around with dosbox.

Get the enhanced edition. Having to turn by pointing to the side of the screen gets incredibly tedious.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

aniviron posted:

The first time I played SS1 it was on the Enhanced Edition and while it is, to my mind, superior the game was very obviously not designed with mouselook and smooth controlling in mind. The combat is pretty trivial even on the highest difficulties because you're moving and reacting way faster than you were intended to be.

Still worth playing though.

Specifically Shadowy Coffee Cup Simulator.

I have to admit that while "Prey - Hot Half-Asian inserts foreign objects while brother watches." has a lot of flair to it, quite a few goons have mentioned they had no idea Prey was worthwhile until they saw this thread title, went "I want more System Shock!" and then bought the game and liked it. It's not a super witty thread title, but it is effective!

Kinda, the enhanced edition lets you turn mouselook on and off and having it off is really nice when leaning around a corner to shoot baddies. The mouselook just makes movement and searching faster without requiring half of your keyboard. It removes frustration from parts that shouldn’t be frustrating to begin with since you can usually sneak up on enemies or dodge past them pretty easily regardless of what controls you are using.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Just got this game. What should I know before diving in?

Stun or disable things before you kill them. Makes the fights 10x easier.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Only take mind control, robot control, repair, phantom genesis, and the skills that give you more health/psi

Let everyone else do the work.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tumble posted:

BECAUSE I RAN INTO ANOTHER ONE IMMEDIATELY AFTER I FINISHED UP IN CREW QUARTERS, THAT'S WHY I NEED SIXTEEN OF MY RECYCLER GRENADES. I guess I'm supposed to be scared of these guys but so far they are bad at taking corners. So this time I pissed him off with a silenced pistol shot and went back towards the room that leads to crew quarters, and when he came around the bushes I tossed 5 more recycler grenades and then finished him off with a matrix shotgun blast.

drat you guys are big liars "ooh look at this wuss boy he needs a nightlight and grenades that turn everything into usable pellets" i'm never listening to you guys again.

What difficulty are you playing on? It’s usually way too big for parts of the level so you can usually stay above it or squeeze into cracks. Or hit it with psychoshock, kinetic, fire, and whatever else of your choice in less than a second.

Begore you reply, yes I know it can squeeze through doors, that’s not what I mean by squeezing into smaller areas. There are a ton of rooms where it’s just too big to fit.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Q-beam is actually a good deal better weapon than the shotgun in terms of resource-cost-to-kill, but it's not quite as fast. (safer, though, since it has effectively infinite range and precision) So do you want to safely accumulate more stuff (Q-beam) or more in your face action (Shotgun). I'm actually more of the first type, so shotgun never appealed much to me.

Especially if you go "superpowers" heavy, ignoring security weapons like the shotgun still completely still trivializes the whole game. (stun gun is still good until it gets outclassed by superpowers though)

You can also move and shoot effectively with the shotgun because there is no slow down when firing it. The q-beam slows you down when firing until you sink some upgrades into it and even then the shotgun makes for a better run and gun weapon. Doesn’t matter with superpowers tho, since you can basically stop time and instantly drop 300 damage on something while stunning it and disabling it’s powers, but it’s a lot more noticeable on a human only run, even with combat focus.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

IIRC the life support security station is only accessible via the mimic power, there's only a couple locations that are limited like that but I think it's one of them.

Can't you drop down into it? Or at least use the boltcaster/kinesis on the terminal?

Edit: nvm in thinking of the power plant station.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The best thing about typhon powers is time stops while you cast them. So you can drop 3-4 big damage spells on something in an instant.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The whole simulation sequence kinda clicked for me when I first saw the "flashbacks".

It helps that I played an old xbox game called Breakdown with a similar plot involving simulation

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The key is to do a no needles run and save a neuromod. Save right before the end of the game, beat it, then reload the save and use the neuromod to install a typhon/human power and beat the game again.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

pentyne posted:

Playing on normal

Just saw the first video after getting the zero-g propulsion equipment, heading to trauma center for I assume the pyschoscope

Have leverage, repair 1, suit inventory, dismantle

Only range weapon is the basic pistol, wrench is used as first resort.

I went from being able to handle enemies as needed to 100% unable to kill a teleporting phantom that splits into 2 during combat.

Find the stun gun, find the shotgun. Minor spoiler but these can be found near the beginning ofnthe game in the lobby/starting area if you look around a bit (look up).

Probably the most important advice: for just about every enemy you want to stun/gloo them first, then unload with the shotgun/wrench. On some later enemies you will also want to first disable their abilities with a specific skill/grenade. Most of the enemies in this game become much more manageable when you focus on disabling them first. Once you can research enemies (you will know when you can do this), use the info given to figure out what they are weak to and what stuns them.

Sneaking helps if you find yourself overwhelmed or surprised a lot, you dont need to heavily invest in the stealth skill to do this unless you want extra damage. Most of the environments have a lot of verticality and multiple entrances which make sneaking a lot easier then other games. This is the same studio that made Dishonored and the levels are designed similarly.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 19, 2020

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Alien Isolation should probably be on the list. Also you should play it.

The original system shock too

..but dont play it, it is very dated.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Serephina posted:

Oof, it's been a while, but trying to recall it:

My take on a hacking minigame is that it needs a few things to make it good.
a) Not so simple as to be inane, might as well remove it then.
b) Have a real cost to attempt/fail.
c) Be skill-based.
d) Have a way to represent the player character being good/poor at it.

SS2 fails at A and C. Bioshock iirc fails at B and D and almost A.
With SS2, you click all the 'free' ones then decide if you want to roll some dice on success vs turbofail, or just soft fail and pay to try again. Not much skill there. I came to the conclusion it probably needed to be remade from scratch as there's no "fun" way of adding a skilled game to what they had. I'd suggest looking up what paradroid game was, it really stood out to me. There was also some other (0451?) game that had a notably good hacking minigame, but it's gone clean out of my head.

Some of the SS1 puzzles were good. Not the wiring ones though, they were garbage.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
If its the same ss1 demo I played a year or 2 ago then its just part of the hospital level, which means the hardest enemy you encounter are the little robot scorpions and pretty much everything can be beaten to death with the pipe.

Even in the original enemies didn't really get hard until you started facing the tougher robots and cyborgs (security 1 bots can go die in a hole).

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The melee in that SS Remake looks really weak. A dull thud and little impact makes for a placid experience.

The player's sluggish movement makes Ethan from Resident Evil VII look like an athlete.

I though the hacking in Prey was garbo but this is worse.

The movement in the original was really weird too. Your character moves like theyre riding a unicycle with a square wheel.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Hearing a security bot boot up after walking around a corner in SS1 always gives me a jump.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

I'm finally getting around to this game and love it. Are the percentages in the neuromod descriptions (like sneak attack damage) total or stacking? Paying six mods for an extra 50% surprise damage seems like terrible returns.

I'm into Deep Storage and still don't have any Typhon mods. Friendship ended with Coral, Turret is my new best friend.

You usually have more then enough neuromods to get whatever you want by the end of the game, especially since you can craft them. This goes double if you're not getting any alien powers.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Get rid of the craftable timer things entirely, or at least dont make them craftable.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Back when I was a kid I played a game on the original xbox called Breakdown and Prey really reminded me of that game plot wise, so I didn't hate the twist too much and guessed it right away.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

They're still good in multiples. I found them really useful for clearing out all the elemental phantasms patrolling around the Arboretum after you get a bunch from the armoury.

And in this game the kill every human achievement is generally harder to get than the save everyone achievement, since you have to hunt everyone down, you lose out on rewards, and if I remember correctly, you have to kill a few NPCs at a certain time rather than immediately after you meet them if you want to kill everyone.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The key to doing a human/typhon only run is to do a no needles run, carry a neuromod all the way to the end of the game, save before you finish the game, then reload the save and use the neuromod to get a typhon/human power.

Easy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Hey look its Abe Ghiran