Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It says no orb-SSS. We're allowed to have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, what was Hannity "right" about with Trayvon Martin? That he was jacked up on purple drink and the guy who's been arrested like 3 more times for violent interactions with a gun was just a concerned citizen who was attacked?

I remember when Hannity was "right" about Cliven Bundy and then ran away from him when it turned out he was a big ole racist.

He said Trayvon Martin was a dangerous thug that deserved to die, and he still believes it. Since no-one could make him stop being awful, he must therefore be right.

fsif posted:

Quick observation: after the election, it seemed to be consensus that the Democrats failed because we weren't as Machiavellian as the Republicans and that it was time to drop the “when they go low, we go high” mantra.

That seems well and good but in reality, the left cannot do it, as exemplified by this Maddow debate. Disinformation and breathless speculation were very much in the "going low" toolbox of Republicans, but there's still a lot of consternation over a news anchor that acted largely responsibly. You'd never see a debate on Freerepublic on whether or not O'Reilly was acting ethically in his reporting of Benghazi.

I don't think this is a bad thing for the left, mind you; we just have to realize it's baked in disadvantage we have.

I think it's a lot simpler than that - a lot of leftists spent so much time saying that calling out Russia was "red-baiting" and that the only reason Hillary Clinton lost was because of insufficient leftness that the proof of Russian interference deflates their claims. They don't WANT the Russia thing to be true.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Is Hannity this crazy or this craven?

¿Por que no los dos?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't think any of the really successful conservative grifters are genuine believers, I'm sure every one of them is a cynical con artist just maximizing their income.

Ailes was very much a true believer, and he created the whole fetid industry.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Booty gauge, the official metric of measuring booty.

In the future, senator Buttigieg will be crucial in establishing an official Federal Butt Inspectors office.

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder Hannity should be water boarded.

By Hannity's own admission.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

He declared that he's going to call them "losers" now to make them feel bad about themselves.

I'm reasonably certain I have that right.

Remember when we thought this would be his Reichstag fire?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

No, because I purposely ignored the thread for the better part of a day to avoid the covoking. Then I checked back in this afternoon to find the thread closed and imagined the worst.

Except that I hung around long enough to decide I like that made up word.

It needs an emote.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

there is, it's :derp:

No, it's a little different. Less panicking, more just mopey. Closer to :emo:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What's your opinion on the boat people

Well, the lot that came in 1788 were just awful, folks. When britain sent their people, they weren't sending their best.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So how long til the Covoking stops?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

Man, we all need to take a long holiday weekend from this thread and let Covok and his ilk wallow alone. I'm doing beer, bbq, and people I love the next few days.

I was thinking of watching the next Pirates movie, but honestly this thread would be less stupid and boring.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ice Phisherman posted:

(((Globalist))) or globalist? Be specific. :colbert:

Is either not just coded language for jew?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ice Phisherman posted:

Ah yes, if there's anything radicalized left wingers love it's nazi white power assholes. Lousy with them they are.

Weren't they clamoring to strip black people of voting rights in the primary?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

flashman posted:

Not voting because neither option offers you what you deem important is legitimate. It is the job of the party to win those votes, not the obligation of the voter to press D because they aren't the Republicans.

If opposing a rapist Nazi traitor scumbag conman science-denying pedophile dumbass manchild from seizing absolute uncontested power isn't important to you, you at least need to own that poo poo and say "I don't care about burning down the world if I don't see what's in it for me personally".

You people would be loving atrocious in an action movie, you know that? "Sure, the sphere is going to wipe out all life in the universe, but what has the fifth element ever done for us? Besides, life isn't perfect, maybe an unending hellscape of death and torture is what we need to whip things into shape"

This is the major takeaway from the election - people just don't loving care about opposing racism, sexism, homophobia, hate, greed, all of that as much as right wingers care about supporting those things. But somehow, that is the parties failure, and not a sign of the voters being hosed up people.

flashman posted:

If you think the Democrats platform was progressive I'm not sure what to tell you. \
Maybe you can try saying "I'm a dumbfuck who didn't even bother to look at the platform, because I think that the Dems lost because they wren't left enough and no facts will ever pry that thought out of my egg-sized brain".

I think the next president actually does need to go on an apology tour, and own it. However, she can't say that she's apologizing for America, she has to say she's apologizing for Republicans. Say they are stupid, violent, corrupt and cruel, and that America will do everything it can to stop Republicans getting elected again. Adopt the tone of a single mother apologizing for an atrociously behaved child, give the sense that the adults are back now.

Nocturtle posted:

How many of those were in swing states though? In the electoral college system a lot of those people would have been completely correct to conclude their vote was irrelevant.

And yet they didn't see that problem in 2012.

bencreateddisco posted:

The libs in here complaining about voter apathy are the political equivalent of "red-pilled" loudly complaining about how vapid women are for not being interested in them.

I must have missed how someone not sleeping with a guy leads to millions of people dying, something that the woman is fully aware of and yet she still doesn't see any good reason to do it.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It isn't just laziness. Americans as a whole are disillusioned with politics something fierce. The support for the Democratic party by registered Democrats is often luke warm at best. They just aren't a left party anymore. They're still corporate-owned centrists. They're better than Republicans sure but it's hard to motivate Democrat voters for some very good reasons. No matter what happens Wall Street is still in control.

The reason why its hard to motivate Democratic voters is largely because so many of them will gladly accept this kind of horseshit propaganda as the absolute truth and will actively fight against any attempt to disabuse them of this notion.

The reason for so many problems in America is largely because people keep saying "politicians" in cases where they should be saying "Republicans". "Republicans" always break their campaign promises. "Republicans" just want to seize more power and don't care about average Americans. "Republicans" only listen to their corporate masters and will never do anything to offend them.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mendrian posted:

Considering the only 'news' he ever shares is that everyone else is lying, I'm not even sure what he expects his base to believe.

Everything Trump says is about the future - things are going to be great, things are just going to be awesome if we do X, Y, or Z. Everyone once in a while he farts out some story about more jobs at some company that may or may not even exist but most of his tweets are just pure denials.

His base is dumb but 'everyone is a liar except me!' only works so many times before people start to question it.

The right wing media machine has been pulling that line for 30 years.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

While this is true the simple fact is you basically just can't get elected to any high office without a poo poo load of money. That money comes from Wall Street. There are some exceptions here and there but the federal government is bought and paid for. Between that and billionaires dumping hundreds of millions of dollars into propaganda machines it's currently a political impossibility to do something that doesn't directly benefit the very rich. Now that that is nakedly obvious of course people are pretty miffed but the simple fact is our democracy no longer works. America is, at this particular moment, not a democracy. The rich get whatever they want and the rest of us get the bill.

And yet the rich still spend hundreds of millions trying to destroy Democrats. You're confusing "the rich are not all put in the stocks and horsewhipped" with "the rich get whatever they want'. What they want is tax cuts and no regulation on their businesses, and only Republicans give them that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well aware but really, do you expect even a Democrat-controlled government, if it actually happened, to actually properly tax the rich? They won't. While they at least try to do something other than actively make things worse they can't do a hell of a lot to make things better either. At the federal level, anyway; it seems like the super rich just don't give a poo poo what blue states do so long as it's contained to blue states.

Obamacare includes billions in taxes on the rich. That's why they absolutely despise it.

I mean, you do get why slashing taxes is used by the GOP as their main differentiator, right?

You see what I mean? Instead of Republicans don't want to raise taxes on the rich, its that all politicians don't want to raise taxes on the rich, in spite of the evidence.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

Why would they not care? They tend to live in blue states, as blue states tend to have what makes rich guys happy - opera houses, golf courses, international airports, that sort of thing. It's more fun to be rich in Manhattan than South Dakota.

At least not since they blew up that Diamond as big as the Ritz

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Internet Kraken posted:

Every time I see this map I wonder what a polar parasite is.

The Thing?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gum posted:

That was more of a predator

Its been a while since I watched it, but The Thing was more concerned with infecting people than it was eating them, wasn't it?

Captain Invictus posted:

Garrison is noticeably porkening Trump up in his more recent images

even on the campaign trail Trump has never looked as awful as he does now, he's gained a shitload of weight, it's actually kind of staggering how much heavier he clearly is compared to when he was campaigning. Only a few short months and he looks like he's put on 80+ pounds.

Also whether he realizes it or not, Garrison is going to go down in history as an example of a propaganda artist. Wonder how he'd feel about that.

Is there any way to check if he's fatter than Taft yet? It'll be interesting to have one president who embodies every single negative trait possible - more corrupt than Nixon, more incompetent than Bush, more racist than Jackson, more contempt for the poor than Hoover, more of a skirt-chaser than JFK and LBJ, and more out of shape than Taft.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RuanGacho posted:

Our policy must go beyond being partisan. We must make policy because they do the right thing for everyone, the poison they use against collectivism is the whole concept that it is somehow impossible for a collective to come to a better conclusion than an individual. This concept is frankly counter to our aspired ideals.

Okay, and when people hate you anyway because you didn't fix anything forever and they buy into both sides hating the collective and looking out for themselves? AKA the situation Dems are in now?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

Considering what he did before and after his presidency I'm not sure I'd say Hoover had contempt for the poor, so much as he massively hosed up his response to the market crash.

Well I already had Bush with incompetent as his defining feature and mainstream refuses to recognise how much Reagan hated the poor.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

alpha_destroy posted:

Jackson was pretty genocidal. Add racist as Trump is, he ain't Jackson.

Jackson knew what the hell he was doing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

alpha_destroy posted:

I know racism plays a large part of this, but I've also always wondered if some massive self-hatred plays in too. Like, they're ashamed they are not donor states so gently caress the safety net.

Nah, they straight up can't understand that they are on welfare. See, they're the only people in America who deserve their benefits, everyone else is just a moocher who is freeloading and taking MAH TAXES! So these cuts will only affect the millions of people who are there fraudulently, who just so happen to all be darker than them.

Lote posted:

If the US were to break up into states, I would imagine Alaska and Hawaii get chopped up / end up as minor territories to other countries. You'll have a west coast state, Mormon Utah, Mountain States / Unclaimed, Mid West, Texas / Southwest, South, and Northeast. Maybe a small independent south Florida. How can people screw this up so bad?

Huh. I figured we'd need a nuclear war to get to see NCR vs. the Legion, but we're just leapfrogging that entirely.

Rinkles posted:

That was a disgusting, petty insult. This is a national tragedy.

Not to Trump it isn't, since he can't claim to be the smartest and best, so its fake news.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Jackson wins for genocidal.

For warmongering... FDR? :v:

FDR would be a good fit for both. Japanese Interment and the Trail of Tears are kind of on equal footing for human rights abuses, its just one was unconstitutional at the time and one wasn't.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RuanGacho posted:

Not for glory, fame or praise, but the ideal that threads through our best intentions, our higher calling. There will always be those who will struggle against progress, but I sincerely believe that for every malcontent whom is passionate enough to do harm and evil there are at least two more who given context will stand bulwark against it.

This is why we need everyone we can do participate in government. Libertarianism in unto itself is civic nihilism.

Thats a very nice inspiring speech to give to Dems who aren't looking to stop helping anyone in the first place. The big drat problem is that this doesn't translate into votes, and all the ambitious plans and lofty ideals in the world are meaningless without the power to execute them.

And as the last election proves, no, the people willing to stand firm on the bulwarks against the passionate advocates of evil and hate. Meanwhile, the people on the sidelines think that they just aren't being offered enough for their time in standing for what is right and true in this world.

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm pretty sure no state could exist on its own without sacrificing some massive resource a developed nation requires.

What would California need?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Overwined posted:

I mean we've been in a precedentless area for some time now.

I thought that said presidentless, and it was weird that I couldn't disagree.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

There's also the one with Cornel West.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Invictus posted:

First thing when democrats take control again: make town halls mandatory, once a month :unsmigghh:

Because doing them worked out so much in favor of Dems in 2010.

Town Halls are a great way of getting people to get pissed off and yell at whoever is currently in charge for everything thats wrong. Don't for a second think that this is somehow America waking up to how lovely Republicans are.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 30, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh I just want republican officials to suffer for their lovely, corrupt politics. Them being able to opt out of town halls is bullshit. Face your constituents.

Yeah, but the only way that's gonna happen is if Republicans manage to get the Supreme Court, both chambers of Congress and the presidency AGAIN after Dems take it back. And if that happens we have much bigger issues to deal with than making sure somebody yells at them once every four months.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ice Phisherman posted:

Part of me worries that we may get into a cycle of wildly reactionary governments which are responses to the last government. Say that dems win big in 2018 in the house and don't lose much or anything in the senate, and then take the house, senate and presidency in 2020. Without the filibuster which the republicans killed we're looking at policies with nearly zero input from them. It'll just make republican lawmakers and constituents angry.
...as opposed to the calm rational and respectful attitude they had to Obama when they were given input?

The gently caress does a modern GOP not driven by perpetual blind psychotic rage even look like?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 30, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mustached Demon posted:

Part of that plan involves raising it to 15 over several years. Let it creep up and give Almighty Job Creators time to adjust.

Because goddammit, if we can't get exactly what we want then getting nothing but keeping purity is just as good! Thats what we learned in 1993, and look how it led to easily passing single payer in 1997!

Paracaidas posted:

We cool, I'm just fed up enough with the current state of campaign finance that it irrationally irritates me when I see misinformation about it (as if "corporate corruption" is new or symptomatic of a certain type of D)

A nice narrative that's difficult to reconcile with Perez' tenure at Labor, the severe pushback from corporations against him, and his subsequent rise to the head of the DNC with the backing of the "centrist"/"establishment"/"neoliberal" wing of the Democratic Party.

But it does help explain things not being perfect and awesome without ever having to consider "Maybe you can't just push the special button labelled Full Communism Now, maybe these things take effort and consistent uninterrupted power", so the far left will never ever give it up.

hi liter posted:

Younger, leftist people are mocked and driven from Democratic party institutions with great enthusiasm. There's a reason DSA is swelling with new members.

Dumbfucks who don't want to compromise their purity by actually getting anything done?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I truly and sincerely hate Sessions, but normalizing executing one's political enemies is not a road we should ever go down.

Why the gently caress not? Trump already normalised it in the campaign, he just never went through on it cause he knew that they could never make a case against Hillary unless propaganda was admissible as evidence.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

gently caress no.

Spiffster posted:

Hah how about no and :fuckoff:

Wow, you three must really hate a guaranteed basic income.Since, you know, Leftists always vote solely on policy.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheKingofSprings posted:

IDK that Zuckerberg would make a good or bad president because I don't think he's ever put out any tangible policies or platforms but I think the amount of influence he would have in an election is so terrifying that he should be barred from running.

To which I say "gently caress that." The right already has a terrifying amount of influence on discourse and political thought in America and use it exclusively for evil. If you don't want to use a bigger club to beat them to death with, then you aren't treating their continued existence as the massive problem it is.

Majorian posted:

That's some pretty weak tea there.
Kay, you got any responses that couldn't be taken word for word from racists refusing to back down from claiming "moderate Muslims don't oppose terrorism"?

Majorian posted:

Which thread is that? I'm not seeing anything like that. People saying that $13 isn't nearly enough, sure, but that's hardly out-of-bounds. It's certainly not the flat-out refusal to compromise that Fulchrum claims - if anything, left-Dems have been very willing to compromise for decades.
You people were given an unprecedented level of influence and power in writing the platform in 2016 and you still whined and bitched nonstop up until this present day. Cornel West wrote the goddamn platform and went on to vote for Jill Stein. When has the far left comprised at all in the last 50 years?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

That's a pretty loony way to characterize what I'm saying.

You mean in a way that makes it clear you're just shifting the goalposts because you are married to a specific worldview and facts don't matter to you?

quote:

No one cares about the 2016 Democratic Party platform. What matters are what the leaders of the party, and particularly its nominees, run on.
So again, shifting the goalposts.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Which facts would those be, exactly?
The ones that were just presented to you and you dismissed as "weak tea".

quote:

And in what way have I shifted the goalposts?

"Perez does nothing to speak out against Big Business"
"Here are all the ways that Perez has spoken out."
"Well, its not angry enough for my liking."

"The far left compromise all the time and are never given any concessions"
"Dems conceded the entire Platform to them in 2016"
"Well, that doesn't count because I still hated Hillary!"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

So, in other words, you're upset that I found these so called "moderate muslims" bland lip service against Islamic extremism not sufficient, and is, in fact, the least they could do.

You're really not making this parralel hard.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Yes, centrist Dems clearly face the same level of discrimination and bigotry that moderate Muslims do. Congratulations, Fulchrum, you've cracked the code.

So wait, you think the reason that this kind of argument is full of poo poo is racism, and not also because it makes it clear you have contempt for facts and just move the goalposts?

Camel Camus posted:

Fulchrum you should put all the effort you spend Aaron Sorkining this thread into getting laid or building benches or something.

How the gently caress am I supposed to do either when I'm at work?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Right?!

I think we can all guess what Fulchrum's position would be though:

Wait, are you seriously trying to imply that the Nation of Islam and the Black Panthers were the same thing, or are in any way comparable?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

That's the problem. The mythical left of the '60s got crushed and never overcame that crippling disadvantage.
No, the problem is that the mythical left of the 60s was just that - a myth. Boomers never changed, they just got tired of acid and developed a taste for cocaine. That generation was always about "me, me, me" - the only difference is in the 60s, what they wanted was better substances to abuse, more sex, to not have to pay for poo poo and to not get drafted, and in the 80's what they wanted was lower taxes, more control over the world and less sex for everyone else now they weren't 20 and didn't have a sex drive anymore.

There is a reason their single defining moment of political and cultural importance was a bunch of naked morons listening to corporate sellouts, drinking, smoking, loving, and really making havoc for the local town.

Majorian posted:

Nope, just that if you opposed Keith Ellison for a bullshit reason like saying nice things about Farrakhan one time, you're probably not going to support Black Panthers running on the Democratic ticket.
Like, does that logic actually make sense to you, or are you just being the same disingenuous fuckwad as always?

RandomBlue posted:

2.9% of all workers in the US make minimum wage (http://www.heritage.org/jobs-and-labor/report/who-earns-the-minimum-wage-suburban-teenagers-not-single-parents) that's not going to tie us to some inflation loop that destroys the country.
Don't try to use their loving propaganda to try and prop up your argument. How many people earn between the minimum wage and the amount that the minimum wage would be raised to?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kartikeya posted:

So...wait. Some guy with a whole bunch of money and literally zero political experience or qualifications says some (one?) nice vague things and we're already saying we'll vote for him to take over the highest office in the land?

I just. What the everliving gently caress, people.
So you've given up pretending you care at all about policy, but?

Fojar38 posted:

Of course it doesn't. But again, charging your predecessor for treason without an impeachment sets an insanely bad precedent. Doing what you're proposing to Bush may very well have destroyed American democracy regardless of his crimes.

Democracy was basically destroyed anyway.

• Locked thread