Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Rest in peace Bane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

strong bird posted:

Yoshida just phoned me to say that he's trolling arcanist players by removing miasma 2 and bio 1 and ruining bane and making all the scholar spells bad and boring.

Pretty immature if you ask me but he's the boss.

At least those people who were annoyed by summoner being the "dot class" should be happy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Why is PvP Tri-Bind so much better than PvE Tri-Bind? If they're going to keep Tri-Bind they should really just go with the PvP version that has the same potency as Ruin.

A big flaming stink posted:

So I got this like a year ago and went through the MSQ until about....Ravana, I think?

My friend told me you can start the Stormblood questline right away, but does that permanently skip the rest of heavensward if so? Also would there be spoilers (lol caring about the story of an mmo i know)

i'm too lazy to look but are Summoners ever gonna get new egis

You can get the new classes without the expansion story but otherwise you have to pay real money for jump potions to skip right to Stormblood.

Also Summoners get Demi-Bahamut.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 16, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

holy poo poo.

Also I looked at the changes and rip Bane. I....guess SMN isn't a trash class with the new stuff though?

I don't know what to think of summoner now, a lot of potency was lost in the dot/Ruin3 changes but the new stuff is mostly nice and Bahamut does a ton of damage when he's out (for 20s every 2 minutes, roughly). I think BLM is once again go-to AoE caster now though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

strong bird posted:

I didnt play summoner that much but wasn't that always their gimmick since they added dreadworm. You just hit ruin over and over until you have aetherflow and then do the combo and then hit ruin until you can use the beamu

Well SMN used to have 1 more real dot (Bio II AND Bio) and Shadowflare was changed so it's only up about 25% of the time rather than 100% of the time which is like losing 75% of a dot, so there's going to be even more Ruinspam than before (also Shadowflare is an oGCD now?). And expending MP on out-of-DWT Ruin 3s isn't as good as it was now since the potency was reduced by 50.

Also you can't benefit from DWT's 10% damage buff with Painflare/Fester anymore if I'm understanding things correctly. At least Ruin and Ruin 2 got a potency increase.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 16, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I managed to get to 52 Red Mage before having to leave for work, I consider that fair progress. Haven't done a FATE zerg in quite a while.

Playing Red Mage feels fun and good.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

Played for an hourish this morning. Role actions are neat and it'll be interesting to see which ones end up being the most useful for which jobs.

Wrapping my head around the Bard Changes is going to take a while!

Red Mage also seems really neat: dualcast will take a while to get a hold of but I think the basic rotation would be something like this?

Initiate with Verthunder or Veraero (doesn't seem to matter)
dualcast into the other one (So verthund>veraero or veraero>verthunder)
- If verfire or verstone procced, cast that and dualcast into its' black/white opposite of veraero or verthund (So verfire > veraero or verstone > verthunder)
- if they didn't proc, cast jolt and then dualcast into verthunder or veraero and try again

I haven't quite figured out if the opportune time to go corps-a-corps and spend all your black/white mana is at 50/50 or 75/75 or even just waiting till full 100/100, and I haven't really looked at the other abilities, so i'm probably missing something important.

E: The cast times on verthunder and veraero are really, really long, so you should never hardcast them except at the start of the battle

My understanding is the optimal time to melee combo is 80+/80+, and once you get Verflare and Verholy you want them to be uneven. 80 mana is the minimum amount necessary to do a full melee combo (and you want the Enchanted Redoublement even before getting Verflare/Verholy, because it has very high potency), and uneven means you can guarantee a proc by casting Verflare/Verholy in accordance with whichever mana is lower.

Edit: Though for AoE I think the rotation is just spam Scatter until you have 30/30, use the cone aoe weaponskill (Moulinet?), and repeat.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 16, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

That holy/flare thing seems kinda neat but playing this job seems like it's going to get pretty technical trying to pull the exact best possible white/black mana numbers, since the increments are 3, 8 (on certains procs) 9 (on other certain procs) and 11!

Once you throw Impact into the rotation (basically it replaces Jolt whenever you have an Impactful proc) you also have a 4 increment. Veryholy and Verflare themselves increase their respective mana by 21 and give you a guaranteed proc of their color for another 9 if done right, getting you a big leap towards building mana back up.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

I have to admit I don't understand what Impact is there for. It just seems like one more proc in a job that already has a good amount of procs and it's just a stronger, flashier version of Jolt II when it happens. Like it sort of seems extraneous. That said, I'm not going to complain that we get a cool flower explosion spell.

Impact's a bit weird, maybe it's a bit of leftover design space where it was intended for something else but got trimmed down. I agree the animation is cool though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

Now that I think about it, why doesn't Impact just replace Jolt II when you have Impactful, the same way the Enchanted melee skills replace their basic versions when you have enough mana? There's no reason to cast Jolt II when you have an Impactful proc--they have the same cast time and MP cost, but Impact deals more damage and grants more mana--so it'd just be one fewer thing to keybind.

Frankly I think the RDM melee combo could also be handled as all one button (like PvP)--it's not like it has positionals or branching paths, and all 3 skills even have the same TP cost! There's basically no reason to ever use them out of order except as a fuckup.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

It says 4.X in the patch notes, I think it's just SB. Would love to be wrong

I don't think the FATE boosts apply to pre-SB areas, I did two levels' worth of FATE grinding this morning when the instance servers were throwing a fit on my RDM and never saw any boosts. Patch notes seem to confirm it.

Of course you're getting the +100% Armory boost for pre-60 FATEs so it kinda evens out.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Palace of the Dead is completely dead again, disconnected me twice upon attempting to load it, both times resulting in huge queues. It started at 1,150 this time.

This. I guess I'll go try and grind FATEs for a while.

PotD might be faster but not if I have to deal with random disconnects and queues. Really wish the queue had a fast-track for recent disconnects.

Edit: And now I just tried to reconnect, immediately 90k, and kicked back to the queue. I get it SE, you don't want me in an instance right now. I'll do my best to get out if you'll let me.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 17, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

So far I've gotten RDM to 60 from FATE grinding (when instance servers in general were hosed and not just solo ones) and PotD and haven't had enough time to do much else because of other obligations. I hope the MSQ woes are lessened when I manage to get around to playing tonight!

Otherwise I'll just relax while doing other not-MSQ content.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Speaking of differences in quest text based on race/gender, I did find one bit as a lalafell. During the Doman MSQ, in the questline where you need to disguise yourself as an imperial, you are given three choices of soldiers to strip of their clothing, and choosing the roegadyn as a lalafell gives an amusing response.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

amazeballs posted:

I returned for SB, and in general I'm a super casual FFXIV player. I literally only have ever leveled SCH to 60, and I think maybe BRD to 33-ish.

I'm currently sitting at 56 on RDM and plan to eventually level AST. If I have never been in PotD is it worth it for me to go through the motions of unlocking stuff in there? Or should i stick to FATEs and PvP? I also haven't ever done PvP.

I haven't done 90% of the content in this game. I also have hats turned off on my character.

PotD is absolutely worth it for leveling alt classes, if only because it also gives you a preview of all of their abilities before you bother to level them "for real". You can learn from that. It's also better EXP than PvP up until 60.

Not everyone does, but you can.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Shy posted:

I'm using Protect, Esuna, Lucid Dreaming, Swiftcast and Largesse because the rest looks like garbage.
e: rescue is fun but realistically usually I'm the one who needs to be rescued

One time a healer used Rescue on me when they had a "stack together" marker on Lakshmi

It killed me because we still didn't have enough people

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nuru posted:

Didn't 1.0 also let DoL classes enter combat trials?

Technically they would bypass the trial via "parley", as I recall. Which was really weird.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Something I noticed during late MSQ: Raubahn referred to my character as "lieutenant" quite a bit. I assume that's Flames-only?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nuru posted:

Despite SMN seeming incredibly braindead I'm hearing there's a pretty huge swing in DPS from person to person at 70, so there's probably some nuance I'm missing.

I haven't played SMN since Stormblood hit but what I'm hearing is that the job is a lot more punishing if you mess up your Aetherflow stack management in any way due to the new ways the system works. Its DPS may actually be pretty good when played well though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On the other hand I really like how RDM plays and I would rather they didn't add more complexity to it just because people think it needs more complexity (which is literally complexity for the sake of complexity). I also think executing its attack pattern well in raid encounters will be nuanced enough to keep me awake--higher tier XIV fights tend to be mechanics-heavy. AoE could certainly use some work though.

But then I enjoyed ARR Black Mage. RDM's a little more complicated than that though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I can't loving believe right as you're about to actually fight Nidhogg with Answers going in the background...they make you wait 30 minutes for a queue! This fight better be as good as Thordan.

At least i've got some good music to listen to while i wait i suppose :sigh:

Isn't that Dragonsong?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

You say that but man all I ever seemed to hear from goons when tanking back in the day was how much they hated tanks who stayed in Grit or slowpulled, equated them with honest healers and such.

That's the difference between the a few content patches in and new expansion was just less than a week ago. Few people are going to get mad over tanks that take it slow at this stage I think.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OWLS! posted:

Just cleared the second EX primal last night via a bizarrely competent learning party.
I was one of the two scholars healing it.
Nerds freaking out about Scholar being dead are so wrong, so very very very VERY wrong.

Our static scholar's opinion is that scholar is a lot more boring now but still plenty functional.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Vargatron posted:

I figured they skimped a bit on VAs for the 2.0 relaunch since they didn't know how successful the game would have been. Some of the VAs were particularly bad.

I thought it was just a location thing that prompted the switch.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Leal posted:

So I'm getting through SB crafting (god the 60 to 61 slump loving suuucks) and was thinking wow, I got to 70 weaver in one day and got carpenter up to 63. Why does it feel so much easier? Then it hit me: So far none of the basic components (cloths, leathers, nuggets, etc.) are not locked behind unspoiled nodes. Go to hell hallowed water and coerthan tea leaves!

And even better, when it comes to your job classes they just give you the materials for the item with infinite chances to retry. Its nice, I was actually feeling apprehension doing my 63 job quest cause I was getting ready to either get robbed on the marketboard buying materials or having to level other crafting classes to craft my own materials but nope, just "here ya go, good luck!" Making crafting less of a complete chore, 10/10 expansion. Now if they can retroactively do that for ARR and HW crafting.

For 60-61 I'm just planning on doing GC supply missions at a leisurely pace. That way I'll be over the slump when I decide to actually start leveling in earnest.

Glad to hear it seems easier this time around.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 27, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The correct move would be to buff other sources of EXP like dungeons. Though that still wouldn't work for DPS at this point (Samurai really should have been a tank class imo). Ultimately though people are going to do whatever is fastest whether it's PvP or PotD or FATE farming and people will think it should change and the current way is boring or whatever. It's probably honestly for the best currently that the best methods of EXP grinding aren't locked behind a queuewall.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how much does this really change though? i've seen dps in need like once in my life and that's the role that's routinely scraping the barrel for xp sources. all that would do would make leveling tanks and sometimes healers easier, which was never a huge issue anyway.

Ideally it would encourage more people to level tanks and/or healers.

Doubt it would work, but it's in theory an incentive anyway.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

One thing they could do is make it actually give something players want. Bonus EXP is nice, but it only applies to that job you're leveling. If there was some other reward that would actually draw people to the role, something that's either really desirable cosmetics or bonuses for your other jobs too or something, that might be good.

IIRC this was the logic behind tying the unique unicorn mount behind the WHM job questline and giving each of the tanks a unique achievement-based mount. So it's at least been tried, just not in the favored queue role thing (though I wouldn't be opposed to giving tanks/healers the loot-crate equivalent of a high-level retainer venture with a chance at a rare minion as an Adventurer In Need bonus, that actually sounds kinda neat).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

orcane posted:

SAM being tanks would probably have helped a bit in this first month when everyone is trying out new classes, but not much (I heard it didn't really help in HW? I wasn't there) - I can emphasize with the argument (and apparently Yoshi's data) that it's mostly tank players switching to new tank jobs rather than DPS players picking up tanking, so the net effect is about zero.

If dungeons stay the main source of XP, loot and progression currencies, larger parties would help, but I assume Tanaka design(TM) makes this hard. Every other MMO goes with 3 DPS per tank and healer, and they still have queues. FF14 makes queues longer for DPS because of the 4-man format.

The queues tend to soften over time anyway though, the early stages are where help is most needed. Ex Roulette queues as a DPS never really lasted much longer than 20 minutes through most of 3.x (if that), but yesterday I had to wait over 50 minutes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

plenty of posters in this thread would be good at puppetmaster defending

e: :argh:

Puppetmaster was a mistake

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I mean I didn't know how they'd make a red mage that felt right before Stormblood but I think they pulled that one off pretty well. Red mage's dualcast mechanic is perfect at making them feel very red magey when combined with their melee burst combo and side utility in Vercure/Verraise.

I feel confident they could do a Blue Mage tank concept well, how it works mechanically doesn't have to be too off the wall if they pull off it's execution nicely. If it's like the XI Blue Mage with its turban and scimitar it'd fit in nicely with a Near East-themed expansion maybe.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TheNabster posted:

The thing I really appreciate in FF14 and got really annoyed with in WoW and other RPGs is that, people know who the gently caress you are and react accordingly, you are respected and deserve respect after everything you personally have accomplished to reach this point.

It always annoyed me when quest NPCs treated you like some slack-jawed lacky beneath their notice when canonically you've helped stop some of world's most dangerous threats.

Or when you get attacked by thugs looking to rob you whilst you have the bits of several elder gods attached to your armour and wielding a weapon of legend.

Games that acknowledge that you are in fact a pretty big deal please me.

I agree whole-heartedly. When you're at the table with the GC leaders as they discuss and plan is quite gratifying (as opposed to being handed orders by a subordinate officer or something), and Nanamo even sees fit to inform the WoL personally, in a one-on-one meeting, about her own plans for the future of Ul'dah. The player has accomplished great deeds and is treated by the Grand Companies accordingly.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't really understand the infatuation with Merlwyb to be honest. She's not all that well developed really, only barely less one note than Kann-E-Senna. Her sole advantage is that the one note she has is way more interesting.

Same. I mean she was pretty badass in the Armorer level 50 quest and Leviathan storyline but she's done basically sweet FA for two whole expansions. I honestly have a difficult time seeing the big deal.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Alakaiser posted:

Level 70 end of main scenario spoilers:

Honestly, the worst part of this expansion was all of the city-state leaders from Eorzea showing up at Ala Mhigo and staying more silent than the warrior of light. It was kind of transparently "we know these characters are important but we have nothing for them so we're not going to bother bringing in their VAs to record any lines" and it kind of pulled me out of it for a few minutes.

This is why the only correct choice is Immortal Flames.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SettingSun posted:

I would be genuinely surprised if any new plots in the 4.x line meaningfully take place in old Eorzea. It will almost all be in the Far East and Gyr Abania.

Any plotline in Gyr Abania has the potential to involve the rest of Eorzea though, since Ala Mhigan refugees are scattered throughout the mainland. Maybe not Limsa Lominsa as much? But both Gridania and Ul'dah have very good reason to be involved in whatever happens in Ala Mhigo, Gridania because it's right on their border and Ul'dah because of refugees and Raubahn.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Azubah posted:

I still hope we get a moon fight.

We need a Lunar Whale first.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

UHD posted:

This jesus christ

Nothing like hitting the new level cap and suddenly seeing random quests from dudes that are still technically dead to me. Looking at you, illidan, you emo gently caress.

One of the things I appreciate about FF XIV is its ability to keep events current for your character based on your place in the MSQ.

This comes with its own downsides and people are going to complain about it, especially needing to do all the story before each expansion, but I personally do prefer XIV's approach even considering all that. Possibly because I'm selfish and it's a gently caress you got mine but whatever. At least they have skip potions now to address some of the complaints.

Personally I haven't done any DRG quests past level 35 and I'm curious to see how they play out post-Stormblood. I imagine it'll be totally timeline-breaking, when I finally get around to doing them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

I can definitely sympathize with just wanting to level all the jobs. Once I get my first job to 70 I'll probably level a couple other jobs to 70 before I do much else, honestly. Unless raiding Omega normal mode is easier/less time-consuming than I expect right off the bat, I probably won't try to get into it until other people are pretty comfortable with the fights and can help me learn how to do it, since I almost certainly won't have the time to be there for the learning process. (Disclaimer: I've never actually done the 8-player raids in FFXIV so if the normal modes are easier than I'm giving them credit for and/or if raids don't tend to be like big multi-hour sessions then I'll probably jump in sooner than that. Savage is probably beyond my level of commitment, though, admittedly.)

If Alex normal was any indication the regular 8-man raids won't require much "learning" and tend to be easier than the Extreme Primals. There might be particular segments that are pub-killers, like the final trial, but that wasn't really the case in Alex iirc, aside from a painful few first days on Cruise Chaser.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

i don't mind it :shrug:

i mean that's what smn has pretty much been all along

To be serious SMN in 4.0 seems to be all about managing your burst phases and spamming Ruin between them. Lots of weaving and the new mechanics like Tri-Disaster recast resetting when you use DWT take getting used to.

It's very... different than before. Whether or not it's better I think is up to taste.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

But Aetherpact (Devotion) still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Doesn't list a weekly cap for yellow crafter/gatherer scrips?
* Yellow crafters’ and gatherers’ scrip can be obtained upon reaching level 70. Players can obtain up to a maximum of 2,000 scrips. These scrips may be converted to Rowena’s tokens and exchanged for crafter and gatherer items at the Rhalgr’s Reach scrip exchange (X:9.9 Y:12.5).

I have heard second-hand that there won't be any weekly-capped crafter/gatherer currency this time around because SE didn't think it worked out well in 3.x.

I expected yellow scrips in .05, only Crafter I'm going to have at 70 in the immediate future is Culinarian... oh well, more incentive to get the rest up asap I guess.