Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I caved

Is the Death Guard Dark Imperium Half minus the poxwalkers (so 3 heroes, the copter, and 7 plague marines) for $30 good?

I'm trying to look up if stuff is good without reading too much into the meta/op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Booyah- posted:

I can't really speak to the in game stats but that's a lot of amazing plastic for $30.

And something fun to use my airbrush on

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

First hams I've put together since at least 6th edition.

Took a ~4 hours to get them all cleaned up but it feels good to be doing it right.

1x Drone
3x Heroes
7x Plague Marines

Ready to be airbrush primed

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

If you're using a Blight-Hauler, you'll want to be out of a vehicle so the Death Guard can benefit from their free roaming cover bonus. It does matter a bit what kind of play-style you're shooting for, but out of all MEq armies, Death Guard are one of the only ones that can go almost completely vehicle free and suffer no real penalty.

Blight hauler isn't my favorite model but it seems like it could be an essential unit.

Have you seen any good alternate models for it?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

“It’s very strategic,” says Dimitri of Warhammer “40K”, which is his game of choice. “It’s 10-fold more complicated than chess.”

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

How accepted are FW models in pickup/the average game? I don't want to be a dick bringing a dreadnought or some other DG related thing

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Since they split the image

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Is recaster discussion allowed? Trying to find some contact info

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Sooo, some LOTD lore mentions them having damaged armor that exposes bone wreathed in flame; while that would be pretty hard to sculpt it does make me want to add some guys with straight up skull heads, was wondering if I could get some advice on which heads to take:

I feel the first one fits the description of exposed armor best but might be too similar to already-existing LOTD heads with skull faceplates, the flaming skull is pretty accurate to overall LOTD A E S T H E T I C and has some charm in that they look like they have goofy stylized fire-hair, while the normal skulls have the most character and diversity (despite looking to be largely the same sculpts; I guess visible cranium matters).

If you don't pick the pumpkin heads you done goofed

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Made some progress on my first dude in years. Also unfortunately learned that Teal is already used by another legion :( I was doing these guys up as Death Guard.

I need some advice on what to do the fabrics. The tentacles/mutated flesh I was going to do purple or red, and a sickly green/yellow leaking out of the holes in the armor/plasma

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Has anyone used a painting service? My brother wants to get the Standard Bearer for his Imperial Fists painted super high quality close to this

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Went with the white for the fabric, layer of grey-green from Vallejo. Needs a wash and then some spatter.

Tentacle's purple was made from 1:1 V Turqoise and V Red with white added for each layer of highlights.

Hustlin Floh posted:

I really like this scheme. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a bone-style color for the fabric. It's not flashy, but pretty neutral and the rest of the armor/flesh are flashy enough.

Thanqol posted:

Fabrics:
- Purple is the safe option with teal, the colours are very complimentary.
- A bright sickly yellow is your daring option, for if you want to make a statement.
- White works with anything. It'd be a good choice here, especially with a delicate bloodsplatter at the bottom.

Check out my Alpha Legion on the previous page because I've got a very similar colour scheme to the teal going, and note the purple and white fabrics and see if anything appeals to you.

if you like the bluegreen I've got going, by the way, the recipe is Ahriman blue > Collea greenshade > Baharroth blue highlights and then a 50-50 Lahmian Medium/Waywatcher Green shade over the lower 25% of each armour panel.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

It’s a transfer :v:

How?

Also, finished up the backpack. What's left to do:
1. Wash bones (i need to get a shade)
2. Do glowing plasma coil
3. Yellow-Green leaks out of armor holes
4. Cleanup?

https://imgur.com/a/RNAsY

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 21, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Does 40k with alternating actions/turns work or would any balance there is fall apart

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

I can't wait for 8th ed Horus Heresy.

If only 'coz those Liquitex Inks make painting Alphas so much easier

Post some pix

Have there been in legions/warbands that switch Gods? Considering doing mine as Alpha Legion that love Papa Nurgle

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 24, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

In regards to lists taking GSC ,or something else with hybrid keywords if there are any, to take a 3rd detachment of another army; would limiting non-codex detachments to 1? I haven't played at all to know if there are non-cheesy lists that take advantage of rules like that.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

About basing sizes,

is the rule they have to be on the size provided with the model? Or could I say, put a Lord of Contagion on a 40mm instead of the 50mm it comes with?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Reynold posted:

I've always played with "if it came that way it's cool" but I'm not sure of the official stance. I know if you put most models on smaller bases than what they come with people might consider it modelling for advantage.

It just seems weird that he is on a 50mm, if anything wouldn't that be better to extend aura? I was thinking it should match other terminator armor models

e: And is proxying the Lord of Contagion as a Chaos Lord in Term Armor acceptable in official tournaments? I would expect 3rd party miniatures to be banned but it seems like a toss up on proxies.

goodness fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 26, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Booley posted:

Toxic 30k PNW krew played some tactical strike yesterday. I let everyone down by having one half-painted terrain piece, otherwise everything was painted.

Is this with a custom set of rules?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Riveting

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Hencoe posted:

So I decided to catalog my mental illness collection and gathered everything up and took pictures.

30k Iron Warriors

30k/40k admech

Tyranids

Whole album here with some closer shots
https://imgur.com/a/w3Jzl

I'll paint if you send to me. Need some airbrush practice

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

It's not and it's also not the worst sexiest thing he's done.

There's some fanart if you want.

What book was this in

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

TTerrible posted:

People always focus on the cost of the books when the armies start at 2500pts and one of the units isn't useable until games of 13k pts :shobon:

..and 90% of it is resin from Forge World. :shobon:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Practiced some technique for my planned Primaris Alpha Legion dudes. I suck at applying washes across big surfaces. How is this done without brush strokes?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Booley posted:

An airbrush, oil paints, or only washing recesses

I didn't think about airbrushing the wash. I will give that a try since airbrushing has made everything else easier.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Hixson posted:

To add to what Booley said. If you purely want the wash to tint the base color hit your base with some gloss varnish. Then add a little gloss varnish to your acrylic wash and spray it on lightly with an airbrush. This was a game changer for me

Thanks. Your nightlords look intense, did you use that on them?

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 16, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Gaianotes is a very, very good brand of paints. Huge caveats though:

1. Since it's a lacquer paint you'll want to wear a mask and either spray outside or in an area with ventilation via a (spark-proof) fan. This stuff can melt your lungs.

2. Lacquer paints are super susceptible to the underlying layer; a rough primer basecoat will give it a brushed/rough metal look, a glossy basecoat will give a powerful metallic sheen, a light basecoat will shift the color towards a pearlescent appearance, and a dark basecoat will give it a deep shine.

3. You'll need lacquer thinner; there's a Gaianotes thinner, but you can also cheap out and use Rustoleum lacquer thinner

4. Once a lacquer paint is cured you're not going to chemically strip it with anything short of lacquer thinner. This is good for washes/glazes/enamel or oil layers, but it also means you'll have a hard time stripping it with stuff like simple green.

This is exactly what I needed, thank you!

Ordering some from volks right now.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

ijyt posted:

Just don't play with FAQs lol, they're not official or enforceable anyway. If it's not printed in the rulebook then it's not a rule you need to play by, it's basically a houserule.

:shrug:

Why even play with the official rule book then lol. Its not enforceable anyway.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

ijyt posted:

Wow you're dumb lol.

Yikes, calling your own words dumb.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

guess which army he is selling

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mef989 posted:

The number of Deathguard armies right now in /r/miniswap is amazing, and I love the amount of salt they put into their explanation for selling / leave in the comments :allears:

The salt is real

I'm hoping to pick up some poxwalkers and vehicles for cheap.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

They lost a maybe sometimes cool bonus. They're still a shockingly cost-effective tarpit king.

Is there a place in a list for cultists that also has poxwalkers? I don't see as much talk about cultists and plaguebearers and assume poxwalkers are the best. But I haven't done much theory or played at all yet.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Booley posted:

Lets take a look at this wall piece:
I'm delicately balancing on the brick thing that old man on the right is holding.

just lol if you think you could balance a dude on that. maybe if he was 6mm

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Where did these miniatures come from? The website linked just has the minis without any information

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I joined some 40k FB groups and found this conversion today...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

This looks fun

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's no possible way that's true.

It’s not. The whole 15+ cultist set from dark vengeance cost 35+ on Ebay, not just the 1 guy

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

efb

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Talenti is some seriously pro-tier gelato although I prefer Ciao Bella sorbet. Do you think that would work as well?

:ohdear:

Try Talenti's Raspberry sorbet. You will shed a tear in its glorious tartness