Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bip Roberts posted:

Are you saying you dont have faith in Jared Kushner?

💯 he was dumb enough to tell the Prince to go for the current purge. Kush is really not bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If it was going to happen, we'd be seeing a lot more signs of preparation that aren't happening (and which also can't be hidden). So we aren't...at least within the next 6-9 months.

You're assuming Trump won't just declare war via Twitter regardless of how ready we are.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

HorrificExistence posted:

drump is bought by putin

Kompromatized rather than bought.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

LeoMarr posted:

Trumo wants an iraq war 1998 style bombing of near all infrastructure... well aleppos already fuvked so if he starts striking aleppo this shits gonna be a laugh fest... hopefully he bunker bombs assads house about 12 times.. multiple day bombing... jesus christ this is gonna be GREAT.

Trump will (at best) bomb empty airfields and avoid doing any serious damage to Assad because he is terrified of Putin.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Is there any real reason for the Canada stuff? Or is it just they think Trudeau is weak enough to apologize if he doesn't have the US behind him? Also that Twitter plane pic is some dark comedy.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ayn Randi posted:

mohammed bone sawman

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Leprosy, to match his morals.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Haystack posted:

So, as I understand it, the act of killing of Khashoggi isn't really all that new of a move for the Saudis. The usual play would have been to abduct him and fly him back to Saudi to disappear him. That was possibly even the plan, with his death at the consulate being a gently caress up that they tried to cover-up. Regardless, still very within the Saudi's normal MO.

What's really new and shocking is that Turkey called the Saudis out on it, and is now keeping everyone riled up about it. From what I can gather, this seems to be a new front in the cold war that Qatar got into with Saudi, with Turkey coming out swinging against the Saudis.

I'm happy to see the Saudis taken down a peg, but I'm not thrilled to see Erdogan's Turkey starting to feel its oats and make power plays like this. I'm also worried about the western establishment getting overly enmeshed with Qatari/Turkish interests, in the way that they previously got way too enmeshed with Saudi interests.

The Saudis pulled this poo poo and a bunch of other dumb poo poo in the last couple of years. Wouldn't it be nice to be allied with competent evil for a change?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Does everybody take notes on their criminal loving conspiracies?

Have to know who to bribe/murder or try to murder/bribe.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tab8715 posted:

Isn't it the same way folks like John Bolton think it's a good idea?

They believe in the long run they'll win and the cost while incredibly high will be worth it.

John Bolton thinks that Iran will be paying that cost. Casualties into the hundreds of thousands but all on one side. None of these people are particularly smart/cunning/intelligent.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It's plausible that a war with Iran is the last straw for America as world police or whatever we're calling ourselves two decades into a Forever War. It could easily disgust our allies enough that they just refuse to work with us on anything in the future, spell the end of the Five Eyes agreements etc. Iran wouldn't win directly, but being the cause of the collapse of American hegemony is probably a victory they'd take.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Fallen Hamprince posted:

The Khmer Beige, a radical Marxist-Nationalist splinter group known more for its banality than its evil.

"banality of it's evil" was right there smh

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah but like 700 words of that article is about googling stuff. You have a duty, dude

Getting paid. No op-ed has ever been worth the ink it took to print.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Unimpressed posted:

Ah yes, open source journalists, the creme-de-la-creme of the money machine that is news media.

A grift is a grift. Even piddly ones can keep a couple people in beer and skittles for a lifetime.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it must feel really cool to realize you have joined such luminaries as Erik Prince in looking at a potential outbreak of hostilities and leaping, immediately, to the advertorial possibilities

probably feels real lucrative tbh

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Dude makes a living on a niche type of reporting which is "what can I interpret from open source information." He does so and mostly reaches the conclusion that he can't reach a conclusion and gets dogpiled for not appending a supplementary treatise on American disinformation operations throughout history or personally responding to posters' individual critiques.

Goons, without irony a month from now: "why doesn't Brown Moses post here anymore?"

If those goons aren't in on the grift then that's a tragedy.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

V. Illych L. posted:

this is unfair imo, there's no obvious reason to assume that BM is running a grift

A Typical Goon posted:

If the editor is going to take out the warning about accepting John Bolton's or the state departments words at face value I'd argue it's irresponsible to allow your work to be published.

This is what makes it a grift imo. If you're acting as a source of information and leaving out key bits that benefit you or your employer then you're acting as a grifter.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Inbred royalty being bad at things isn't a shocker.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

When he's right he's right.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

KSA is full of nepotism idiots in uniforms, yeah?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

RIP Syndrome posted:

Although the US starting a confrontation with Iran and just sitting back twiddling its thumbs as the Saudis get wrecked is kind of darkly humorous

Declaring war and then letting the ally you hate get wrecked while you risk nothing is a sound strategy in Paradox games, so it'll absolutely work irl.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Conspiratiorist posted:

Let's switch to car analogies.

The US is a Tesla, KSA is the driver and Iran is a firetruck.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Less Claypool posted:

War is inevitable with Iran, it’s just a matter of when.

It really isn't. We could normalize relations with them and just accept that it's a multi-polar world when it comes to power. We won't, but that doesn't mean we can't.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Conspiratiorist posted:

I repeat: what would even be defined as "victory" in such a conflict?

You can't win a war unless you have a goal.

Killing the Ayatollah and anyone who was dumb enough to appoint themselves the new Supreme Leader. It'd be a Crusade and treated as such. It's easily the costliest war we could choose to fight.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tab8715 posted:

I don’t think the US public would accept Vietnam level casualties in an era of social media.

And a draft under Trump? Good luck.

They'll never be able to bring back the draft. Unless we get invaded by aliens.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sinteres posted:

Trump's bragging about how he could commit genocide if he really wanted to again:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1175089231477317637

if we nuke Afghanistan the people who emerge will conquer the drat world

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sinteres posted:

I was going to say he's smart enough to know the difference, but everything I've read about him makes him sound like a pretty massive moron, so maybe he's not.

He's a failson surrounded by other even stupider failsons.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Way to explain an era of American history to people that lived through it. That you think observing headlines or whatever from across the world gives you an insight into the prevailing American culture of the day (as if that is homogenous to any significant degree) really explains all the nice hot takes you produce.

Are you under the impression that lovely kids saying horrific racist poo poo is a product of the second gulf war?

Instead of admitting you were wrong, you're making GBS threads on this poster for being foreign. It's amazing.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Grouchio posted:

My guts all in a knot this morning analyzing and fearing getting ourselves stuck occupying Iran for a decade or two. A true vietnam redux.

How to unwind?

stop reading stupid fearmongering and do something useful

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the draft was reinstated to shore up US forces spread thin across the ME.

who do you think is going to reinstate the draft, name some names of the politicians you think will commit suicide by voting yes

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah, I've spent the time since high school desperately scrabbling from gig to gig and now you're going to give me a gun and expect me not to frag my officer -- Millennials and Gen Z

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Feldegast42 posted:

Uh people are really forgetting who is in power right now and how much they value the sanctity of human life, especially the lives of their children and grandchildren

I mean its likely not going to be called but is the only conceivable way to take over Iran without glassing it

Congress is the only way Trump gets a draft and nobody in Congress is dumb enough to support Trump's Draft.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect having all US bases overrun by militias simultaneously should do it.

bullshit catastrophizing

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dog Friday posted:

One thing I'm not quite getting is the justification for the assassination being the fact that Soleimani has "blood on his hands"... What is the US body count in the Middle East these days? Many magnitudes higher than Iran and an enormous number of those civilian. So by this logic, shouldn't the US leadership, past and present, also be a-okay for assassination?

:haibrow:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Trabisnikof posted:

Because the plan was just a fake idea they gave Trump to convince him to do something else and it backfired.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/04/us/politics/trump-suleimani.html

The Pentagon is full of decorum poisoned idiots and it came back to bite them this time.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Frank Sidebottom posted:

I'm sure the Pentagon understands what Iran's military capabilities are, SA poster Flaming Liberal

if they did they'd have probably resisted the temptation to include "assassinate a four-star general, lol" on the menu of options they gave Trump

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yes I am sure that the Pentagon has no idea about the military capabilities of the nation Washington has wanted to go to war with for 40 years, and that they need to be schooled by some junior-level analyst, because this isn't a Tom Clancy novel, of course.

whistling past the graveyard of empires

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

teacup posted:

Uhhh this is not good correct? Is there a situation where the US doesn’t respond ridiculously? I’m not trying to Arzy here but this isn’t going to be a “actual war” thing right?

short of trump having an attack of sanity this is absolutely "actual war" territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gstu posted:

Greetings from Dubai! Thanks for keeping the thread up to date on all the goings-on. It was nice waking up this morning and having everyone's input on the nights' events.

I woke up to articles like this circulating-

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/iran-threatens-to-unleash-hezbollah-in-israel-and-dubai

WE is a trash paper that has broken zero stories and is only better than the Daily Caller (Tucker Carlson's poo poo site) in that they haven't yet been caught fabricating a story outright. It's like reading the Weekly World News for edification.