Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Boiled Water posted:

you could just live in a place that's not terrible and actively tries to make taxes easier to figure out

fairly sure international migration is involves more paperwork than a 1040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

though i guess the likeliest outcome is that npm somehow takes that repository over

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

TimWinter posted:

As someone who has tried to get an interviewee to take the one additional step to turn arbitrary python functions into an executable script, this is infuriatingly hard to communicate.

Unfortunately, it's also really telling when someone is familiar with the steps you have to take to turn arbitrary python into something you can run/use. It's definitely "like me" bias at play, but I assumed it was easy and it took a lot of experience to be able to do it and a lot more experience to do it well at all.

dont need a shebang for 'python fizzbuzz.py'; do you also fail them if they dont chmod +x it?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

HoboMan posted:

on the other hand im a goddamn moron but i have so many contract offers i'm considering starting a company. the real question is the name.
I was thinking Programming and Information Systems Services

badass

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

cerious posted:

Yeah it feels really dumb to me too. Part of the concern was just coming from my dad telling me to consider those factors. Part of it is that I feel I don't know my market value at all. It'd be a lot easier for me to say yes if this came after several crappy offers or if I had more interviews. It seems like a very cool place to work but my only points of comparison are my lovely academic lab which was an awful work environment, and the other place I interviewed at which was also obviously just looking for someone with a pulse. I have no prior internships or industry experience.

I'm just not sure if these concerns are important at all.

never listen to boomers or boomer analogues for job advice

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

qhat posted:

A company just sent me an online psych/cognitive exam to do lol. 50 math/English questions to blitz through in 15 minutes. Should I just politely tell them to gently caress off?

sounds like a wonderlic

how your 40 yard dash time

(it’s not uncommon for some large corps to screen everyone and it’s less dumb than myers briggs. not something I’d ever put any faith in but large orgs to develop quirks like this. if it’s a small shop lol run)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

meatpotato posted:

鬼神 hire ‘em all 1099

CPColin posted:

2,147,483,647 dev ops

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

Raleigh and Pittsburgh

lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

what tech is even in raleigh? i've never heard of it outside of american capital cities quizzes

red hat lol rip

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Is there some obscure page layout setting you can do to set a PDF to use extremely large unprintable per page paper settings?

(don't do this)

some PDF software would by default pass A4s directly to the printer, which the printer would refuse to print until A4 was loaded

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Chalks posted:

i know nothing about japanese law at all but i would be astonished if they could force you to sign a contract

didn’t you just have an adventure in this thread where you didn’t know what you were talking about but kept talking

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

redleader posted:

i just can't get over how much freedom you people in the usa have

corporations are people, my friend

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

i mean if you're gonna call me out for being an idiot at least call me out for poo poo i have any control over

you brought the anecdote up here without any qualifiers and then defended it with there were six other candidates who did lol, so you own it

throw a ‘this is was a bad idea’ in front and you’d have skated

tbh its not bad advice to read the room dont deviant urself with a big swinging dick never name your price if you don’t have options (limited market, etc)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

what british manufacturing

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

i was on a hiring committee that didn’t hire the strongest candidate because he’d taken a few years off to do some harmless new age stuff

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ibm has some hpc products at the high end and in storage

not ‘buy red hat’ money though

endless bureaucracy and you’re likely to be cut the next time they need to goose the stock price

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

looking at a resume that has colored mirrored reflections wordart on 60% of the text

like https://creativenerds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/text-reflection-effect2.jpg but with a gradient in the text also

i guess it does add emphasis

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

qhat posted:

at my old org i used to think that the prevalence of tech debt would be a good thing for me since there'd be a lot of opportunity to spearhead some great initiatives, like devops and the like, and then getting recognized as a highly valuable employee. at least that's what i thought until i realized that the tech debt also prevented the good ideas from being taken seriously at all.

tech debt is the reification of org priorities

it exists as a conscious or unconscious choice of the org and work contra org culture is not going to be valued

unless you are hired by a c-level and have their full support (and can deliver quantifiable gains quickly), no ones going to value linting on commit when you should be shipping for revenue

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

$135k for a senior software engineer at an SV company. remote but it sounds very high stress and lovely. my situation atm is a little bit desperate but i really don't want to do it unless they're gonna pay me a lot.

base?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

HoboMan posted:

i live in the midwest and have about 5 years experience on paper (which is more like 3 years actual experience) how much money should i be asking for?

how high is up

job? programmer, devop, management?
industry?
experienced in a hot technology?
in a large/hot metro?
degree?
base or total comp?

generically midwest I’d say $70-125k base

looking at your post history you’ve got multiple offers so don’t set a number. thread has lots of advice on how to dodge that question. batna and all that

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

but really, this

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

the answers that get you the highest score are: snitch on your coworkers to the maximum amount and snitch to regulators to the minimum amount required by law

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

depends a lot on company culture, boss, etc. some (usually larger, bureaucratic) places it’s expected; other places take it an insult and a recipe to get hosed (usually small family businesses)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Hughlander posted:

So here's a question... How would you value intangibles like opportunities for fitness? I'm looking at two places both are going to be a 40-50 minute commute away. I got a kid and normally leave for work when they leave for school, and get home between 6:30 - 7:30 with a bedtime of 8:00p. So there's no real opportunity to go to a gym except during the lunch break at work. One place is going to come in lower than the other but has an on site fitness center that I could do cardio and light lifting at. If the work is both interesting, the tech is interesting, and the stability is interesting, and the only two differences are total compensation and access to fitness facilities. How would I assign a value to it?

assuming you are not a perfectly spherical frictionless computer toucher in a vacuum and you can’t easily relocate

how likely are you to use the facility? do you work out now? is it something that would improve your quality of life? how long are you planning on staying there? are you fit now? if you were contracting, how many billable hours would you pass up to work out?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you could not be more wrong if you tried

somehow true about anything qhat posts

and i was going to say this even before the union thing lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Could argue that basic social awareness that the most literal answer isnt the full answer is being tested with that question.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

Normally I don't name and shame, but this just came in:

Guess the max on the range!
$65/hr on c2c otherwise depend on experience

There’s a lot of great stuff here. the three cfg mgt systems or the decade old ibm hardware.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

be careful with lying on salary tho some (bad) companies require w-2s or use that employment verification service that discloses your last salary (like what jonny said moto used); total comp is a better way to frame it

as with any negotiation advice its context specific, if your a frisco fullstack architect who has a dozen options if this blows up in your face; if ur a server janitor in erie pa with two local employers, maybe not?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Shaggar posted:

if someone is asking for you to do i9 verification before the offer its because they're trying to scam you. they can always revoke an offer if you don't verify afterwards so they're just trying to get your salary

also i9 verification does not require w2s

yeah bad places straight up demand for w2s no i9 justification

its a useful indicator how they treat labor

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Shaggar posted:

unless you mean like previous employment verification rather than eligibility in which case idk how you deal w/ that

and yeah iirc adp (?) offers an automated employment verification service that discloses former employees salary

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

how bad a sign is private equity ownership of a company? as in bought by kkr a few years ago and about to IPO.

not great, not terrible

at least you’re on the other side of the acquisition

otoh fuckery around goosing the numbers pre ipo

and then if numbers don’t go up, more fuckery

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

what are some good red flags

:ussr:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

only if you never take a day off

ten words later, in that very same sentence

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

stack paper, get figgies, be vary careful with counters

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

this, as always, depends on your company, but holds more true the more corporate your organization

eh; if you’re in an large organization with an entrenched HR where raises are nearly impossible to get but counters are the standard mechanism for raises, its less personal than power tripping small business fiefdoms with spiteful reflexes

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

one of the best things about working at GE Healthcare was that there was a process for everything and a person who knew/owned that process, so the panic mode of literally no one in the company knowing what the gently caress just never happened. everything that could happen has a person (usually teams of persons) who can handle it.

that part was really great.

of course you might not know they exist or how to find them

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

theadder posted:

also leprosy op

seven weird dips in the river jordan pharisees don’t want you to know about

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

some folks would probably take a significantly lower salary for a competent government but that’s definitely not the uk lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

this is real common feedback

it’s possible that they thought at the beginning generic experience would make up for lack of subject X at the beginning of the process but after interviews figured out that wasn’t going to work

or you suck and the lack of experience was a nice excuse

or you sat in the interviewers favorite chair

or they found somebody else

it means nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

experience requirements are lies to dissuade cowards

and also to whammy under represented folks

well documented that experience and degree requirements get a lot stricter depending on who’s applying