Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Tunicate posted:

So there's an app? Sorta want to see that used in a photoshop phriday.

By which I mean, which goon is gonna make the piss tape first.

It's genius- having seen a bunch of fake piss tapes, the public will be totally desensitized by the time the real piss tape is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

In 5 years we'll either all be working for Maverick, or dead by his hand.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'd just surrender and spend the rest of my life getting raped by pitbulls in cyberjail before I put any of that poo poo on my face

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Comrayn posted:

the half bangs blue hair is dumb but I mean this dweeb

Pictured: the world's least recognizable man

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Prav posted:

oh please, they know what they're doing

Life's too short to worry about whether your creations are used for good or evil.

Somebody's going coordinate all those trains, I might as well be the one to get the paycheck.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

No mods no masters

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You can run but you can't hide

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pushpins posted:

Has any other Supre Court pick literally swore vengeance during their confirmation?

Taft swore vengeance on Diabetes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Trump’s real brilliance was duping the media into giving him 24/7 free publicity during an incredibly crowded primary.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

i hope everybody realizes that deepfake-style fake videos are going to be used by the state to further control the populace, if it hasn't already started. Anyone with access to enough data can manufacture footage of confessions and illegal activity, fabricate multiple video sources for fake events, and make a gullible audience believe literally anything they want

and that data has been happily supplied by Facebook and Google

the future is hosed

It's not going to be that, it's going to be that video will become useless as evidence of anything.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pushpins posted:

This was a scene from Ready Player 1 where the ceo guy has a bunch of nerds feed him cool nerd facts through an earpiece

"A fanboy knows a hater"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Still putting the tongue on Offset I guess

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I believe that nukes are still the nukes or our time

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This belongs in the cyberpunk utopia thread

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Are message boards like the one we're posting on any less damaging than Facebook/Twitter, other than the fact that they reach far fewer people? If anything, they seem to have a greater capacity for self-radicalization.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is it actually Facebook, or some third party contractor working for Facebook?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There's a qualitative difference between treating your own employees like dogs directly and laundering the mistreatment through a lovely third party.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lamebot posted:

You've been deemed to carry a higher risk for suicide so your insurance premiums and credit score will be adjusted accordingly.

drat, a suicide index is a pretty good idea

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

tillytown posted:

I actually don't mind Soylent. The chocolate flavor is pretty good and I have a soft spot for it because it helped me through a really rough period of depression. I couldn't even get out of bed to make a sandwich or whatever so I kept a box of Soylent next to me (it doesn't have to be refrigerated) so I could be sure I was getting sustenance. I liked it because it was specifically a meal replacement that had 400 calories per bottle, whereas Ensure has only 250, I believe, and at the time I associated it with weight loss. Maybe there were other options I could have chosen but a friend told me about Soylent and I liked it. -shrug- That said, I totally agree all the tech bros who are into it and the company itself are obnoxious.

I think we can close the thread now, dystopia accomplished.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Viral marketing for the new DOOM movie is looking strong

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The saving grace is that they’re tracking everyone, which is very distinct from being tracked individually

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I thought it was really progressive of them to make one of the active shooters a woman

Girls, you can be anything you want to be

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

this was Japan’s plan for defending the home islands in WWII iirc

Is that actually true, or was that just our (U.S.) propaganda to defend carpet bombing/nuking? Or maybe it's both

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

imo, the narrative there is heavily colored by the same sort of orientalist racism that led Americans to attribute Chinese successes in Korea to "human wave attacks"

on the one hand, yeah, the Japanese were arming civilians, gearing up suicide-attack training, and spreading propaganda calling for the civilian populace to sacrifice their lives to slow the enemy advance

on the other hand, the British did essentially the same thing, but it's mostly remembered as an instance of heroic Churchillian pluck, rather than the "insane nationalists declaring a glorious national suicide" narrative that tends to dominate the talk of Japanese civilian defense plans

it's doubtful how much either group would have lived up to the fanciful expectations of politicians. the effectiveness of Japanese propaganda on the Home Islands dropped a lot once the US had burned the country to the ground and sunk the navy

I guess the one difference is hadn’t the Japanese military run the public schools for a generation?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

EasternBronze posted:

I think there's a difference between a civilian population RESISTING fascism and another FIGHTING FOR IT.

Not especially, when there’s a foreign power invading (no matter how justified it is) the politics kind of fall by the wayside.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

evobatman posted:

The franchise wars are coming, and all restaurants will be Pizza Hut Taco Bell

drat, we’re gonna need four seashells at this rate

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think "get to" has become my least favorite phrase in the English language.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Toy Story live action remake.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, I loved it when I opened up my lunch bag as a kid and my mom had splurged and packed me an Unknowables.

if this is real, the why haven’t I seen the Goatse photoshop yet?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Good news

I'm just glad it's pink, so I know I'm loving a girl robot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

01011001 posted:

look it cant be a gay robot blowjob

I'd be more comfortable if it had a bow on top, a la Mini Mouse.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shooting someone is actually a form of bio-hacking

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Isn't part 2 a company trying to avoid the criticism that the company in part 1 is running into?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think what it boils down to for Twitter is that it would just be bad business to alienate the right-wing, as it's not like there's some great untapped market of potential posters on the left who would come in to replace them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

pelotons are for conspicuous consumers and status-seeking social climbers who are incredibly bad with money

just get a $60 pair of running shoes and maybe an armband for your phone, and curate your own drat playlist that you don’t have to pay an absurd monthly fee to listen to

Yeah or just a normal bike.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Entorwellian posted:

Every delusion that is common of paranoid schizophrenia is now reality.

Well, sort of. There is all host of stuff passively monitoring you, but the odds that anyone is specifically monitoring you specifically are still extremely low.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

vyelkin posted:

the whole point of all the constant passive surveillance is nobody has to be actively monitoring you, but nevertheless sitting on a server somewhere is all the information about you. yes, you specifically. your likes and dislikes, everything you post online, everywhere you go with location data on your phone, everything.

right now no one is looking at it except some advertising algorithms that want to use it to sell you a particular brand of toilet paper

but the whole point is that if for any reason they ever want to, they can just look you up and bam, there's you in all your glory

like how the police can now access everywhere your phone has ever been just by showing up with a warrant. they didn't even really plan to have access to that data but the data exists so of course they're going to use it

That's why I strive to live my life in such a manner that no one could possibly care.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Are we sure the teens aren't just drug dealers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

im on the net me boys posted:

I used to work at a grocery store and I had a really weird training video about what they called "unconscious bias" but they literally went out of their way not to mention racism or sexism or any actual bias. The word "racism" was never once mentioned. In the video, one of the corporate folks, a black man, talked about how he was renting a room and the landlady didn't know he was black and wanted him to leave. He never once mentioned it's because he's black, and he talks about how he could have sued but he never did. The video was all about how you shouldn't profile people or follow them around the store because of how they look, but it never explicitly mentions race. It didn't mention gender discrimination or being hateful towards queer people either. It was literally just "don't do something that could get the company a bad name in the press" and they stressed this hard. This was after the Starbucks calling the cops on the black men incident, and they were very keen on avoiding that kind of press.
The thing that sticks out most about the video is that their example of unconscious bias has a picture of three white men. You're asked to guess who is most likely to become a CEO. I thought at first this was a trick question, because most CEOs are white men. The "correct" answer is the tallest one, because CEOs are generally taller than average. This was the only example they gave, at all. It was extremely tone deaf.

I can see the logic; if you tell people "don't be racist", "don't be sexist", etc., everyone either thinks "well, I'm not racist/sexist so this doesn't apply to me" and tune it out, or they think "you can't make me not be racist/sexist" and tune it out. If they couch the issue in different terms, maybe you can at least still get something through to the former group.