Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

god told me in the bible to hide my shame, so i gotta wear pants. unless i'm a government employee, in which case i'm forbidden from wearing my pants (for religious reasons)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Randalor posted:

... are you really nitpicking the suggestion that didn't involve the dehumanization of entire groups of people into parodies?

i personally would name all teams after anmials but i would also invent new names for the animals, so as to be entirely neutral. the Toronto Jerglamits, the Victoria Clorngemodes, and the Montreal Gerps.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

apatheticman posted:

The Peggers.

peggers never win, and winners never peg

e: actually i might have this backwards

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

look, if someone has something bad done to them and it ISN'T because capital controls the means of production, i don't wanna hear about it!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

forgot that's a thing in (some?) schools. barf

ok new guess 0.1

in the States we didn't listen to the national anthem every day, but we did recite the "pledge of allegiance" in unison every single morning throughout elementary school. it was p indoctrinating tbh

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

As for "coverage" or notoriety or fame or any of that other bullshit, that's the provenance of a mentally deranged person to begin with and they'll never actually know, internalize, understand, or care that their name has been struck from history. By doing it they're already a legend in their own mind and the "right" people will remember them anyway.

it's less about this murderer and more about the next one. when murderers are among the most famous and talked-about people in society, especially online, that's a signal that one way to gain notoriety is to commit a spree killing. the fewer of those signals sent, the better.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

"Monkey see, monkey do" is not a sufficient rationale for censorship

where are you getting censorship from, doofus. we're talking about what's ethical to do, not what the state should imprison people for doing lol

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

idk dude, everybody knows the name Ted Bundy and nobody knows the name of any of his victims, and i think that's probably not great, and wish more journalists back then had agreed with me, as many do today

like this is not controversial among the media today: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/opinion/mass-killers.html

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

If you live in Toronto, Peel Region, Porcupine, Halton Region, Waterloo, Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph and York Region you can book your second dose if your first was on or after May 9. Failing that unless you're 70+ you're SOL.

as someone who got pfized on 5/13, it brings me no pleasure to report that it's on or before 5/9, not on or after. otherwise current guidance says wait till August 2

Muscle Tracer has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Jun 11, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

love me some word salad! mental roughage really cleans me out.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Imagine stooping so low to sending fake invoices to fool your own base into paying 300$

testing a new method to balance the budget?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

lol i really thought those PC "invoices" were faked. but they were real, and they are real sorry.

Doug Ford’s Tories apologize for sending fake ‘invoices’ to supporters posted:

Premier Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservatives have apologized for mailing out fake “invoices” soliciting cash from past donors after a firestorm of controversy.

“At no time was it our intention to mislead our valued supporters,” the Tories said in a statement Thursday after refusing comment on the issue for more than 24 hours.

“We regret that this correspondence was sent to a limited group of supporters by one of our vendors and will not happen again. We apologize for any confusion or frustration this may have caused,” the party said.

It is unclear how many donors received the letter via Canada Post and how much money it brought in.

The request for payment for the Tories’ “election readiness fund” was accompanied by a two-page fundraising letter signed by Tony Miele, chair of the PC Ontario Fund.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

what's this "covid" thing again? some kind of Zoom competitor?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

skewetoo posted:

Imagine believing this arrangement is sustainable lol

Like I said before. You're all trying to shoehorn the old normal in the new world. Good luck!

still trying to figure out what course of action you think anybody in here should actually take

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Kafka Esq. posted:

Ceviche is a healthy food that is good for the environment

But I bet none of you ACTUALLY know a south American in real life, so it's lib posturing

actually according to family legend my great great grandmother was south american, checkmate tankie

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Don't most phones have a QR reader built into the camera app these days?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Rutibex posted:

seems to me they are training you to accept these codes so that they can sneak in surge pricing, or datamine your phone to find you are rich and give you higher prices.

i can't find the article i'm thinking of, but there was a lot of speculation that this was amazon's ultimate plan with their physical bookstores. the furthest they've taken it is serving better prices to Prime members, but that seems like the kind of thing you'd want to advertise rather than hide behind a QR code.

i wouldn't attribute those nefarious ambitions to a local restaurant tho.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

okay lib lol

yeah this whole "reopening" thing would be a lot easier if they'd finally let us go back to the grocery store, kind of a weird oversight that it wasn't in the first stage, or even earlier imho

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

blatman posted:

triple vaxxed gets to play as oddjob

unvaxxed have to use big head mode, and are fine with this

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

"anti-antifa" is such a :psyduck: phrase to see

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

the nice thing about being a recent immigrant is not having to figure out who to vote for :smug:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

okay okay let's compromise

two staircases but each has half as many stairs

stairs around one side of the shaft, slide on the other.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

linoleum floors posted:

Depends how big they are, but probably bachelor's lol.

Here "affordable" = 80 percent of market value, which is still about 100% more than rent prices 5 years ago. But the government gives the developer a shitload of money for them. Which is really important.

80%?? what the gently caress???

any affordable housing regime that's not tied to a multiple of the minimum wage is piss garbage

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

sure, what we're doing is counterproductive in an entirely predictable way, but what were we SUPPOSED to do? something with a clear message???

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

[shouting death threats at the eaton center because of an ad campaign that was pulled three months ago] Now THIS is praxis

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Karach posted:

Is ideological indoctrination part of going to J school? Or do they get it in the workplace? Is it imposed from above?

Yes to all. When I went to uni for journalism, we were taught that we had to be objective, not subjective, which meant we could not come to any conclusion of any kind OURSELVES, we could only report what others said. If no government agency is framing it that way, then you'd be reporting your opinion instead of objective fact. Ostensibly the idea is that it's factual to say that Person Said Thing, but that very easily and rapidly becomes "government institutions are infallible."

See also: black people not being allowed to report on BLM because their lived experience would "interfere with objectivity."

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Karach posted:

Interesting, thanks for the insight. It definitely squares with what I read in CBC etc.

So objectivity = what genocidal institutions think is so.

Do you work in journalism now?

I do not. I was hoping to write for living and journalism is not writing. now i'm a marketing consultant lol.

PhilippAchtel posted:

The journalist method which seeks objectivity above all is so bizarre, especially because even if you aren't synthesizing facts, you're still choosing and synthesizing sources.

Somehow this very simple and obvious point is just ignored by 90% of media.

Objectivity is just fundamentally impossible. Accurately catapogueing your biases is the closest we could feasibly get, but that would involve exposing the lie that Dan Rather or whatever was the font of truth to my (grand)parents and we cant have that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

calling people names does seem to be pretty loving persuasive for a very large swathe of the population

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Slotducks posted:

This seems like a uniquely Canadian thing to do.

yeah, when was the last time you saw Tim Horton making customers a cup of coffee?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

i hope the king dies!

every one of them has, so far...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Sun Life? More like

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Juul-Whip posted:

i love our media. why would pro-palestinian protesters go here of all places? must be targeted antisemitism!

man, whoever Gerrard Street is named after must have done some really hosed up stuff.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

lol this loving slaps, more of this please

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Tighclops posted:

does anyone else think that Subways smell weird, like why does the sangwich place smell like that

they are constantly spilling food and sauce into the steamer containers that keep all the toppings warm, and then never changing the water. at least that was the case at the subway in the walmart i worked at.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

The only stories I've heard of negotiating rent past like 1987 it's been people bidding over each other by offering to pay more than was asked lol

i have heard a bunch of stories like this in TO over the last year. friend's place flooded so she had to move, and kept getting beaten out by people offering to put up 4 or 6 months rent in advance.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

RBC posted:

Got a Tim Hortons breakfast sandwich today, had some kind of weird vinegar sauce in it that tasted like puke. Maybe they should try not making disgusting food to be competitive with McDonald's, etc.

Doesn't seem that difficult.

sounds like SOMEBODY didn't order the sausage and egg muffin sandwich (yum!)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

Bagel BELT or bust

a vegetarian friend of mine got into a heated argument with a Hortonista over whether you could order a bagel belt without bacon; Hortonista insisted that the B in Bagel BELT stood for Bagel and it wouldn't come with bacon in any case. vegetarianism stays losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dreylad posted:

yeah back in the glory days you weren't expected to know much about the job you were hired to do because you'd be trained on the job. now you need experience, oh wow no one has experience guess we need to get immigrants with that experience and wow now we can cut wages look at what you've made us do

and if you don't have experience, well, i guess we'll accept the most expensive degree available. gotta have a uni degree to get a job as a secretary these days.