Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I probably only remember the previous thread for this game by the sheer fact that it is This Game. Despite its brevity, it managed to leave something of an impression that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Can't wake up.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Aster and Eclipse have space themed names, so they're clearly way too important to be mere Grunts. Can't believe the game got its own trainer class wrong :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

It's Wonderguard Spiritomb if Spiritomb was Mega-Rayquaza and the reborn team took Burn/Poison/Confusion damage out of the game then threatened to ban anybody who used Skill Swap on it.

Does Fire Fang still bypass Wonder Guard, for some reason, or did that get fixed after Gen 4? If it still works, then this weird nonsense glitch would probably be the Allowed Solution because it requires more intricate knowledge than any random would have.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Even with 8, they have serious pacing issues between 'em sometimes. Both with them being spaced too far apart and not being any time at all between.

I'm surprised though that they showed enough restraint to not go with 19 gyms. 1 for each type and the last one being no specific type speciality and more of a "they're just good and use variety, gently caress you" but that'd probably undercut their perfect super Champion or whatever

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

wait whats quash and why is it so bad

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It would be really fitting in a way for this hack's "designers" to make going over the level cap and then leveling down a requirement only to later realise that doing so incentivises doing that for other things later. Can't have that, so we gotta hastily remove the possibility lest players get ideas to use the methods and tactics the game teaches them to use.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

(not sure if I agree with the decision to frontload the game with ice-types, but that's really picking nits)

I'm okay with that, because Ice types own (:colbert:) and they're usually relegated to the arse end instead

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

McDragon posted:

At least the real pokemon games break the fourth wall competently. I dread to think what Reborn's version of the Game Freak office is like.

We've already seen the answer to that: it's the main NPC characters.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I... appreciate(??) that's both pointless, useless cruft and actively, intentionally misleading just because.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Simsmagic posted:

Not enough people talking about my boy Ronch in this thread

Be better if his bigger brother who cameo'd in the Uranium thread was here too. But I guess Cool Ronch is too good for this thread.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

They put this out there for anyone and everyone to play. If they wanted a circlejerk, well...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I remembered seeing the stat screen in here before, and there being others without a level increase, so I went to check. Pretty sure this gym just straight up doesn't count as one, because the third badge does increase the level cap apparently. Looks like the 10th gym is the first one that gives a badge that doesn't increase the level cap at all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I've had both Sun and Moon for like a year now and I still haven't quite gotten to the second Totem fight in Sun and have yet to even open Moon. :v:

Should probably get back to that sometime, really.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I want this to be real so badly.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

EXP finally received.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Explopyro posted:

Should it be called Swinub Day?

Watchog Day.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Arkanian posted:

Those same guys also made a mega-dugtrio...

(Yes, seriously)

Not seeing how this is a bad thing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Leraika posted:

More importantly, it'd let the player character defeat an OC NPC in a way that was actually injurious to their plans, and we can't have that, can we?

Yeah, like, aside from like the PULSE Tangrowth fight, have we actually accomplished anything in the plot? I'm sure there's probably something but a lot of it just sorta melts together in a big ol' pile of Awful. It feels like most of the plot is just endless dialogue and watching NPCs do things, which are usually varying kinds of awful because it's childishly edgy "dark" or whatever.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

I sort of don't want to know the answer to this.... but, we've only got like 3 out of 30 badges right? This isn't going to end any time soon right?

It's not even finished yet. If I had to guess, I'd say with this being episode 17, it's done up to the 17th gym. When it releases, e18 will probably cover through to the last, e19 being the end of the main game and e20 adding post-game content.

Can't say for sure, but that seems like the most reasonable way to break it up into "episodes" like they're doing. Which is why I'm probably wrong.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Wait, so we have to go chasing after Cain to get the key to the wasteland to get the Poison gym badge.

...But this was already all a loving sidetrip to get the key to the wasteland in the first place! Did Amethyst really just forget her own dumb railroading reasons for why we bothered doing all of this?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Don't you open that

You're a fool if you dare.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

One of the biggest mistakes in a fan game especially is not making the player character the star of the show. That doesn't mean the player needs to be some all-powerful, invincible, driving force that never suffers setbacks and has to be hip-deep in every bit of plot development (that's also a mistake); but when the player is just there to witness Important NPCs Do Important Things then the player is more likely to check out or even develop outright animosity towards the character or characters who steal the spotlight.

It's kinda messed up that for all of its many flaws, this was something that Uranium managed to more or less get right. Or, at least, more right. Something about broken clocks, really.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Does the reborn community hate feelings of accomplishment or something?
Because between the futility of rescuing the kids from Dr. ZappoMcEthicsviolation and not actually accomplishing anything after watching the NPCs bust up a stronghold full of bad guys busting up a stronghold full of bad guys. (And it wasn't even like, oh no things didn't go as planned: things went exactly as planned and it still didn't accomplish anything) I'm starting to wonder if they legitimately hate feeling like anything they do matters.

You have it backwards. They are getting to accomplish stuff and be important, because they are the NPCs. They hate you, the player, the person not in their circlejerk in-group, being successful and feeling accomplished.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Also why have both of the Pulse pokemon so far been colored incorrectly? Base Tangrowth was dark green, and now Base Muk was a weird dark purple.

They have that star in their part of the UI, so I presume its because they're meant to be shiny.

PULSE Muk was a garbage design though, for sure. Tangrowth wasn't great, but at least it looked like some effort was put into it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is how we are presently:

We do hit a bingo eventually - but where? Place your bets!

We definitely already have false imprisonment (the entire orphanage "subplot" is exactly that) and self-insert Mary Sue is only just avoided by Ame doing nothing so far, though I 1000% expect her to be the Champion. Murder has also happened a non-zero amount of time since it was the first thing that happened in-game what with the train being blown the gently caress up.

I coulda swore Cain was heterochromatic but checking back we genuinely have no way of telling because half the goddamn cast only has one eye visible.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

kw0134 posted:

spoopy ghost trainer claimed his corpse for whatever idiotic reason? (Did we ever get a resolution to that?)

Spooky Creepypasta Ghost was the last gym leader OFS dealt with and the guy who committed suicide was one of his Pokemon.

That's it. That's presumably the entire payoff to hamfistedly shoving in a real world suicide as a tasteless plot point.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

TV sidequest was almost funny. Not sure why that's something that gates a department store sticker, though. Can you try to steal any TV for it, or is it just that one specifically?

PMush Perfect posted:

I'll be honest, I checked out, like, one paragraph into that.

:same:

I can only imagine how much worse it would be to read in-game with the ever-so-amazing two line dialogue boxes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

It may just remember that the water was meant to be so polluted that even this boat wouldn't be able to take more than one journey...only to be perfectly in-tact as if nothing happened.

Not even that. Boats aren't meant to be able to sail at all. But nope this boat was just chillin' in the super corrosive water like it's no big deal and you can just... go back and forth as you like.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

BlackPersona posted:

I'm not gonna lie, thanks to how much poo poo has been going on I keep forgetting it's all to get Strength to move a boulder.

Which in turn came about as part of what is effectively a mandatory sidequest to get a key from Cain to get to the wastelands. So OFS could finally get the poison badge several gym leaders after beating the Poison gym. Presumably this will include beating the Poison gym in the wasteland so you get to do that one twice. It's padding within padding within padding.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Argent Cinereus posted:

That brings up a somewhat worrying question considering we're at 4/18 badges and don't actually seem over levelled: Did they increase the level cap to compensate? Because if yes, considering how this has been going, we're going to see some later teams that are just ridiculous piles of stats beyond what the player has any tools to deal with. And if not, I'm expecting ridiculous impossible movesets, abilities, or possibly some combination of the two.

The penultimate badge lets you get to level 95. Something tells me that's going to be required for the last gym.

So, it's not really so much that OFS isn't overlevelled by being in the 40s at what's effectively maybe the 25-30% mark (...I really hope this is an inaccurate estimate and it's more than that). It's that the level curve is completely loving busted on purpose, because giving things big numbers is a way of making it more "difficult" in low effort ways.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, Camerupts live in the incredibly dormant volcano? And a single regular Camerupt using one thing it learns by default makes the dormant volcano erupt with 100% certainty? Nah, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Damanation posted:

Did...did you still not get her badge? After all of this you have to fight a PULSE battle?

What are the chances that she dies right after you get back from the volcano for a second time?

If anything, I'm taking OFS not getting the badge as Yet More Evidence that she is definitely going to die especially with the dumb "reset" rule. It's completely irrelevant and bad writing to introduce at all, but not giving the player the badge is a way to eat their lovely lore cake and have it too.

I wouldn't be surprised though if a later gym leader DOES give you the badge and then dies just to force you to definitely have to level down at some point though. As is, there's no reason to introduce the rule other than to just raise so many dumb questions that will never get answered. Up to and including: how the gently caress does that even work?

e;

GirlCalledBob posted:

I know the thread keeps talking about how we're doing all this to move a rock but I would like to make it clear that even moving the rock was sidetracking us from our actual objective of getting the wasteland key, to track down the new poison gym leader, to finally get Corey's badge. Yeah.

I could be misremembering already but I'm pretty sure we need the Poison badge to use Strength. You allegedly get it from beating Kiki but Corey/New Poison Leader's badge is needed to use the move out of combat. Pokemon Reborn.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 11, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or annoyed that the "boss fight" for this plot beat was a level 75 Garchomp instead of the Camerupt that was explicitly promised. On the one hand, it's cooler than "literally one of the objective strongest Pokemon ever" and you could say it was done because the Camerupt was somehow considered too unfair to fight. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it's just so it can be another thing on the ever expanding list of poo poo that The Player Does Not Accomplish.

Zereth posted:

Why was the head of team meteor just hanging out by the caldera of the volcano he was about to make super-erupt? Doesn't he have plans to do afterwards?

He was hanging out there because it's a classic Bad Writing thing. The writer knows already that the volcano was never going to erupt for one reason or another, so him being there doesn't matter. There's no need to flesh out a detail that was never going to come up, even though that detail existing raises questions and issues.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 12, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ratoslov posted:

To be fair to Kiki, I don't care if the orphans live or die either.

Yeah, like, the entire thing is literally irrelevant. Adding the orphans subplot on top of everything else here didn't actually mean anything and explicitly has only been used to make Kiki out to be a gigantic jerk. Their "danger" was until then just used as an excuse to drag out getting Cain to give you access to the Poison badge, but they could be a piece of shiny foil that he got distracted by for all the difference it wouldn't make. It's impossible to care one way or the other because they aren't characters (even by Reborn's standards), there's no sense of urgency and the game itself has gone out of its way to tell you that you shouldn't care at this point by making them a punchline at the end of this entire island section.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

DeafNote posted:

I forgot Amaria even existed and assumed that was Ame's full name.
Why have two characters whose names start with 'Am'?

Amaria's name thing was more likely for it ending in "ia" given that she's meant to be someone who graduated from high school or college or something with Julia, Florinia and Titania. The last one has not yet appeared(?), and I can only remember she exists because its Titania and that's a name wasted on this trash.

That doesn't make it better, but the first syllable is not the important one there. Why this is the pattern that was chosen for this irrelevant thing is, uh... I got nothing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I would fully imagine those two things are linked and not separate issues, unfortunately.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Honestly, that sounds further along than I expected, especially since at this point the player only has like 5 badges.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I'm just staring at this and... it's a gigantic Strength puzzle hell that goes off-screen. In two directions.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I come to LP specifically so I can drown out reality, I don't want to be forcibly reminded of how we're all going to die. :saddowns:

Bad news: that's already happened multiple times in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

as far as I'm aware DQ5 was the first Monster Collecting game

Megami Tensei 1 came out in 1987 for the Famicom. :v:

Wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the first either though. Just the earliest one I can think of. DQV is the first Dragon Quest with it though.