Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

T-man posted:

As far as I can tell approx. 60% of this website is gay or trans or both, I assume all the ye olde SA people have gone offsite or to 4chan

reading old SAcylopedia articles are like peering into the repressed id

no, same dudes, now not all dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

My chromecast had a bug when viewing some dolby vision netflix shows. I called to complain. They asked me to use the streaming app built into my TV, and i made her wait while i put it on my wifi, downloaded system updates, made a samsung account, and connected to netflix to tell her, "no this one looks okay".

Samsung doesn’t support Dolby Vision.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
without funco pops I would never be able to get $10 identifiable celebrity heads for my own personal art projects.

so for me that are a net positive.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Any humans that explore the stars will not be recognizable as humans to us.

Still a pretty good chance they’ll wanna gently caress the aliens tho.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Maleh-Vor posted:

If you happen to be female, then just god drat that's going to be a nightmare.
Odd post to nominate for understatement of the year.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Fame Douglas posted:

Actually, computer engineering is the only skilled work there is.

ahaha, no

I would say that one in five resumes I get actually indicate skill.
where did that whoosh smiley go?

Remulak has issued a correction as of 06:13 on Aug 19, 2020

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://twitter.com/cfarivar/status/1305504885404704778?s=20

if apple/google had any morals at all this poo poo would be capped so people can only dump a limited amount of money in per month

Apple gets 30% of all of the money that's lost. This is probably a single-digit percentage of App Store revenue, enough so that dropping this income would require multiple executives to lose their bonus, and probably their jobs.

Perverse incentives for the win!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

CharlestheHammer posted:

you can’t consume your way to a better world
consume capitalists not capitalism

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cold on a Cob posted:

true, but computers are masters at malicious compliance

I’m stealing this

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I once managed to accidentally shoplift a $150 blender from Kroger because the self-checkout was acting up and the assistant hand-scanned everything and missed it somehow.

It was too big to fit underneath my cabinets and I couldn’t return it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

I got the tude now posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT6bV7rSdC0

if you don't get stoked for dunks idk how you get out of bed in the morning
When did the NBA stop calling travel?

lol

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My kids still can't believe that anyone would join the Army reserve to pay for college and not expect to get called up and spend years in a sandy hellhole.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

BonHair posted:

Just buy the right Lego sets with the buckets of cash you save by not having kids. Those little fuckers are not free, even before you account for all the space you have to get for them.

I could buy a Lego millennium falcon every months of I didn't have a kid. I'd rather have the kid. He's awesome.
He will just grow up and leave, unlike the rooms full of assembled lego kits.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My favorite car salesman line is 'if you can't make money off your friends and family who CAN you make money off of'?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

cumshitter posted:

one of my relatives favorite car haggling techniques is just to start crying loudly in the dealership and ask why theyre screwing her. it works best when there are other people there in the middle of a purchase because it really fucks with the other sales deals

drat that’s smart.

I thought I Big Dick McGee when I wrote a check and said ‘take it or leave it’. Check was no good as I needed to finance through my credit union

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Vox Nihili posted:

Amazon makes all their money on cloud hosting these days. They continue to run their monstrous & inhumane nightmare logistics program purely as an inside joke.
cash flow is as important as profit

DACK FAYDEN posted:

one might say it's some sort of racket

A rocket racket?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

People who buy cars at dealerships using the dealership's financing are literally braver than our troops.
The ARE are troops. sp

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Jesus this is worse IN context.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Also, stop putting Bean-o in bottles that look like eye-droppers.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Blockade posted:

Nearly every engineer I've met has been a righting nut.

Plenty of scientists and mathematicians have been cool though

lovely engineers are indeed disproportionately chuds, probably because engineering schools let you skip liberals arts, and that’s just loving terrible for learning to actually think. Good engineers are all over the map though, probably closer to educated personnel in general.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Fame Douglas posted:

All EVs I've driven have been significantly quieter than ice cars I've driven.
Road noise from (moving) Teslas is comparable to similarly-sized ICE sedans, as it's mostly a function of weight - with modern designs the engine noise is negligible. If you ever walk anyplace near traffic, there's no real difference between a Telsa and a Camry that drives past you. Tire selection is also a big part of this - the "fuel efficient" tires that came with my Volt were annoyingly loud, for example.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

absolutely not. tyrannical total control by one hosed up family

zaibatsu is a constellation revolving around a bank, chaebol is a constellation closely held by a family

wow, I was under the impression that different groups at Samsung are at nearly shooting terms with each other. And having dealt with a couple of the divisions there is no way there is a tight coordination, they take steps exactly the opposite direction sometimes.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Renaissance Robot posted:

is the consumer data generated by loyalty cards even demonstrably useful or is it on the same level of corporate haruspicy and tasseography as advertising?

Capitalism.png: On the same level of corporate haruspicy and tasseography as advertising.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ruffian Price posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160303105422/http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-1-overview I come back to this every once in a while. Eye-opening poo poo, especially the gender dynamics part

I’ve read this like 8 times and it’s better each time.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Subjunctive posted:

he’s probably pissed with whoever wrote the headline

engagement

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Antonymous posted:

HDR also just means brighter colors, not more colors like some advertising claims.

Better than any effortpost I’ve probably ever made, but I disagree with this line; newer research shows physical brightness really is yet another axis of color matching. This is usually described as ‘color volume’ rather than color space.

There is just no way to simplify this poo poo, to make it worse color/luminance changes spatially and temporally are also important. It’s hard too, with my wife’s loving SCRAPBOOKING getting a decent color match was a goddamn nightmare back when I did color engineering for a living,.

And to simplify Pantone, it’s supposed to offer replicated printing results within certain restrictions for printed materials, emissive displays are ‘eh, kinda’ for reasons involving both gamuts and finishes.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Are they just glasses that cut out the blue part of the spectrum? Cuz as far as I know all the research on that is very inconclusive and it's mostly just bullshit marketing.

According to my wife the anti-blue ones give an ugly yellow cast to my eyes.

Oh drat that’s the one pair I can’t find….

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Cramps supremacy.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

In Training posted:

cool to think that network television spends probably hundreds of millions a year on equipment and labor to get like 6 million people to look at a screen. Google is crushing it

Man would I pay $10/mo to have TV without ads like I can on YouTube.

Please don’t start a derail other ways to skip ad/sponsor segments on YouTube.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
lol I also had cable in 2002.

Sunday nights were OK then, but in the late 90’s Dennis Miller followed Real Sex (Reel Sex?) which was both horrifyingly unsexy and the
most explicit poo poo (possibly literally) on cable.

Telling this story I must confess that I watched and looked forward to Dennis Miller in the late 90s and watched it with girls I was dating :oldguyemoji:.

One night with one girl we saw the last 3 min of Real Sex as it ran over (or clocks were off it, was the 90’s) and when Dennis Miller started she said “yuck I can actually hear the sticky bathrobes closing”.

Goddamn had to get that out it was so gross/memorable.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Well don't leave us hanging, did you or didn't you have Real Sex with her after Dennis Miller? :colbert:

It was unreal.

because she left

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Is that comedy writer Ethan T Berlin?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Good boots are surprisingly repairable, I had the sole unattach in the front and simply used whatever Amazon was selling as 'shoe glue' to reattach, and it went fine. Smelled just like superglue.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

mastershakeman posted:

its kind of sad that eggs and toast was a legitimate cheap breakfast staple for millions of people until suddenly it can't be anymore shut up stop asking why
Stupid gluten ruining everything. Glad we still have eggs and tortillas!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

tokin opposition posted:

Just take those little mini packets of pepper they put out at restaurants
Christ I hate asking for 10-12 of those every time I need them. Doesn't stop me, but I hate doing it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
gently caress Caine’s, it’s objectively not fried chicken if they don’t have actual identifiable chicken parts (sandwiches excepted). And it’s subjectively even worse because dark meat is the best.

In summation, Popeye’s owns, and Church’s can be shockingly good if you get it when it’s fresh (meaning after church in the long lines, thus the name).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Until today I didn’t know that Sarah Lee was a bimbo-owned company.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Everybody look at your hands
Goddamnit:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

BonHair posted:

Honestly, if you're good enough at computers to get yospos, you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to get a ridiculous computer toucher job. Probably fully remote too.
Good coding skills don’t correlate to good interview skills.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
They can buy a house, they just can’t buy a house in a neighborhood they want to live in.

Big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

mycomancy posted:

A pint's a pound the world around
A cubic foot of water weighs a little over 60 pounds