Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
You can rest on encounter maps, so rest to clear the fatigue and go from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Caros posted:

Given the character art I think they need to harp on the fact if they want me to believe it. All I see is her near Moe Howard esque bowl cut.

To Be Scrupulously Fair that haircut was supposedly a deliberate response to constantly being called beautiful (because she hates it).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Nah, I remember seeing it when I played on day 1. That said, the torches didn't do poo poo to swarms, unless I was missing how to use them beyond swinging them. They hit for 0-1 damage just like regular hits. It was kind of bullshit.

The torches hit swarms for 1 damage (the 1 fire damage that's added on to them as weapons), which is, at least, infinitely more than the zero damage that regular weapons hit them for.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Taear posted:

I've got FIFTEEN shards of a dwarf helmet.
Who the hell do I even take it to?

The same goes for all the stuff you find that "an antiques dealer would probably like".

Once you finish Chapter 1 and have claimed the barony, talk to the Storyteller NPC in your throne room, he takes turnins of all that stuff for a ton more gold than you'd get for straight selling it.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 30, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Taear posted:

Oh. I haven't spoken to him at all, I just assumed he'd do journal stuff and I didn't care about it. Why isn't he called something else?

I actually kind of like his gimmick - the stories he tells are the stories of the lost civilisations and peoples that produced that stuff in the first place, etc. I'm not sure if there was any name they could give him that would scream "give this guy all your miscellaneous artifacts" though.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Having played both, Deadfire is a deeper, richer game but also needs a lot more investment to really enjoy. It’s a slower burn, basically, like good literary fiction.

Pathfinder is the airport thriller of baldur’s-gate-alikes. It’s easy to get into, the dialogue isn’t too demanding and the plot moves along briskly. Characters are drawn in pretty broad strokes but are clearly defined. If the writing’s occasionally a bit cringeworthy, well, ok, you’re not expecting Thomas Hardy.

Taear posted:

Is it? I'd definitely disagree because of all the bad reviews and the negative general feel around the game.
Because it's so infinitely sloppily made.

I think this is actually a really good analogy, but mostly in the narrative sense (which, as I read it, is how it was meant). Obviously, gameplay-wise there's a lot more currently broken about this game than Pillars and also it's a ton harder (partly because it's Pathfinder, partly because it was balanced by and for sadomasochistic Russian minmaxers), but narratively it's easy and familiar.

It's small-scale politics and nationbuilding and little problems in a familiar kind of fantasy world rather than World-Shaking Existential Dilemmas: The Sequel and a dictionary's worth of barely-pronouncable new words and names and places and races. It's no surprise that it sold as-well-if-not-better but with the game in the state it is, that mostly means it's going to disappoint a ton more people.

Which is a crying shame because I like both games, honestly, this one just needed developers and beta testers who weren't so in love with the idea of "a hardcore CRPG that doesn't hold your hand, based mostly faithfully on the tabletop system that was an explicit backlash reaction to the 'casualized'
D&D 4th edition". Arguably that Inception of nerd gatekeeping meant it was always going to end up like this.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 30, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

This game is really crying out for a “stuff I wish I’d known before I started” guide.

E: like, right now I desperately want to know where I can find a treasurer. But while I’m looking, there are trolls and spiders and wolves and poo poo, strolling around my barony and eating people, and I need to suppress them and explore new areas and build the town and everyone’s complaining and some rear end in a top hat priests have started a cult and banditry is up again and WHERE THE HELL IS THAT TREASURER?

I'm aware of three NPCs who can take the Treasurer role. However, two out of the three only become available while you are pursuing the Troll Trouble questline (one fairly quickly, the other a few more steps along the way), and from the limited spoilers I've stumbled into I'm pretty sure that the third is also only available after a main quest that occurs even further down the line. So you may be stuck without one for a while unless you focus the troll quest.

Agreed on the "poo poo I wish I'd known before I started" guide though. Speaking of which!

Apparently, if you want monsters that are close to the PnP baseline without the broken stat boosts, the Enemy Difficulty setting you actually want is "Weak", not "Normal". Definitely going to implement that when I play tonight and see if I feel better about it.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 1, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Gorelab posted:

I thought 3.x/PF were pretty big on using the same rules for enemies and players unlike 2e which just kinda eyeballed numbers that looked good and didn't really apply them to anything else and 4e which had pretty strict formulas for how strong enemies should be.

Yeah, this is kind of the thing. "Players and NPCs have different roles and should be designed differently" is one of those newfangled game design principles that Pathfinder (as a tabletop ruleset) was created specifically as a backlash to. 3.x was one of the more "simulationist" versions of D&D and Pathfinder followed very closely in those footsteps, because its audience demanded that it do so. The idea is very much that there should be rules describing and governing all sorts of situations, and they should be generally applicable when possible, so monsters have the six basic stats and alignments and skill checks and sometimes even class levels that work just like the players' do.

All of which is to say that yeah, monsters and players aren't really supposed to be under similar stat frameworks, but in 3.x they generally were. The reason that Kingmaker's enemies got weird buffs is, I can only assume, because the translation to the PC ended up with things being too easy and it was somehow not acceptable to just add more monsters to encounters.

Or because all their beta testers were munchkins that do char-op in their sleep and the feedback was skewed.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Taear posted:

What does ranking up my stats in the kingdom actually do? I'm level 3 loyalty and I really don't "get it".

Most directly, your kingdom stats give bonuses to your d20 rolls in kingdom events that depend on that stat (and since the DCs go up as the game goes on, levelling kingdom stats is pretty much the only way to keep up with that, unless you're using companions as your advisors). There may be other benefits that escape me right now, since I actually haven't had the time to level any of them in my game because I'm too busy putting out fires.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 3, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Spoilery question for people who've finished the Troll Trouble questline:

So, the final boss fight with Tartuk and Hargutha the troll king. Whichever one of them you kill second starts a conversation with you, where you have the choice to ask them questions, show them mercy, or just finish them off.

Because I'm me and I wanted to figure out what the gently caress was going on with "Tartuk" and why he was still alive after I killed him the first time, I went through his dialog trees, but I had no intention of letting him live so I elected to kill him rather than let him go - at which point he healed to full and I had to beat him down again. Both of them do this, actually - the first time I did that fight I killed Tartuk first, so Hargutha got the last words dialogue - and then when I decided to kill him he'd "regenerated" so he was back at full life and of course proceeded to beat what was left of my party into the ground - so now I always (try to) kill the troll first.)

So my question is - has anyone just not bothered asking either of them anything and just killed them immediately when the dialogue came up, and if so do they still do that?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 3, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zodiac5000 posted:

Wait, what? They can stand back up? That definitely never happened for me, I killed the troll then had the dialogue with tartuk and that was it, nobody stood back up ever.

Huh, weird.

They absolutely did on my game, but maybe it WAS because I talked to them for too long. Fair play, Owlcat, fair play.

It was hilarious, honestly, I'd dropped Web and Hold Person on Tartuk to hopefully keep him from interfering too much while I fought the troll, but of course Web lasts FOREVER so after Hargutha had gone down my party had to go into the webs to kill him. Web inflicts the grappled condition, which is hell on melee combatants, so Tartuk managed to survive long enough to incap Valerie, Amiri, and Octavia (shooting from range) with an apparently infinite supply of magic missiles, leaving only my Magus PC -- protected by Shield, so safe from what seems like the only spell Tartuk had left, at least for another forty rounds or so, but out of no-attack-roll damage spells -- and Linzi - who is a terrible shot even WITHOUT the penalty for shooting into melee, and her only damage spell was AOE and I didn't want to kill the downed party members.

So nobody can land a hit, and bringing anyone back up with Linzi's heals just leads to Tartuk switching targets and murdering them, and he seems never to run out of spells, so it's basically the D20est Mexican Standoff for like twenty or thirty rounds going "come on seriously ONE of these has to hit" until I land the edge of Linzi's last Sound Burst cast on him and he finally dies. I don't know what I'd have done if he'd survived that, honestly, it would have been the most FRUSTRATING way to lose.

sloppo posted:

Also, uh, did they hotfix the hotfix yet, regarding spell choice on level up?

Last I checked it was broken two ways - all spells available for learning during level up were elevated to your max spell level... but you could also click around a bit and get it to offer you spells at a lower level than they ought to be. Pretty sure I have a save file where Octavia learned Haste and Lightning as level 1 spells. :getin:

Judging by the Steam forums, uh, no, they have not fixed the hotfix yet, and MAN is everyone angry about it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

On Tartuk: I remember that while I was screaming THE JIG'S UP TARTUCCIO, ADMIT IT at him (admittedly I failed a skillcheck here so there might have been more useful info if I'd passed) he said that he remembered sending an artifact to the king of Pitax, remembered me killing him the first time but not much after that, and he genuinely didn't seem to remember that he was actually Tartuccio and not Tartuk.

So basically I think Sky Shadowing is right - when you kill Tartuk the first time and he gets ressed (remember, before that fight he absolutely remembers who he is), something messes up in his head or with the spell and he can't remember ever not being a kobold anymore. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy honestly.

I actually kind of like his story arc, as incredibly petty as it (and he) is, and I genuinely wonder where they're going with this poo poo.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

To be fair:

a) it's still really early in the game, it's basically still Chapter 2 (to the extent this game is chaptered), so we don't actually know if whatever brought Tartuccio back won't figure in the story going forward,
b) It's not "most won't ever get to see it", you HAVE to complete the Troll quest eventually or it game-overs you, and that's one of only two conversations the quest can end with (and you will always see one of them),
c) I agree with Xoth, it's only really relevant if you want it to be. It's a genuinely interesting question whether he's still the same person who tried to screw you over or not, but it's something the player or the PC will not necessarily give a poo poo about, any more than they necessarily give a poo poo about Bartholomew torturing trolls for SCIENCE! or the maybe-or-maybe-not justified racial grievances of the kobolds and trolls.

I don't really have an issue with how and where they chose to convey that exposition. It's all there if you want it to be, but you can also just channel your inner Amiri and just kill whatever gets in your way and ask questions never.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Use the movement speed mod it's hella tight

This one?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Mordecai posted:

Can you not handle those events if you're out adventuring? I noticed the kingdom button disappeared when I strayed from my capital, but I haven't built any more settlements yet.

You can handle events if you're adventuring inside a territory you've claimed. Visitors will only speak with you but I haven't seen a time-limited visitor yet so that's less of a problem.

Mordecai posted:

It'd be nice if the regent did some regency.

I picked Octavia as my regent, and she's also in my party, which seems like something that shouldn't be allowed but in the finest old school tradition of "hoping the DM doesn't notice an oversight that works in your favour" I am absolutely not going to complain about that.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

ugusername posted:

This a hundred times over. Recently realized that if you're fast enough and have access to invisibility you actually can get out of combat and exit the location. But sometimes you're just geeked right by the entrance. loving wererats gently caress you with your keen kukris and gently caress your bullshit invisibility and your full magic gear and your loving alchemist buddy. Was super satisfying destroying them right before going for Staglord with Glitterdust and summons.

One thing about that Ratnook Hill fight in particular: there is an alarm trap right outside the entrance that is bloody hard to spot (I don't remember the perception DC exactly but it seems higher than the other traps there), but if you manage not to trigger it then the rats won't be invisible when you go in and you can surprise them instead of the other way around.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

Look, either encounters are tailored to the characters and the world is artificially limited, or they're not, and the world(and the adventure by extension) is freeform. Mixing those two approaches is just asking for a shitshow. When everything I encounter except Viscount +12DexMod is within my level range, including enemies that shouldn't be, it just begs the question of why only certain enemies are vastly overtuned for no discernible reason beyond "gently caress you".

I mean, there is a middle ground between Oblivion-style "everything is scaled precisely to the player" and New Vegas-style "go THIS way outside the starting town, not THAT one, or else you'll be eaten by deathclaws". The reason everything you encounter is within your level range is mostly because you're sticking to areas where that is mostly the case, because with only moderate care in design it's possible to have a pretty freeform campaign experience chock-full of verisimilitude (and Arivia is right, that's a very key consideration in the old-school D&D design space) while still mostly only confronting players with stuff they can handle. BG1-style wilderness area exploration, I'm thinking of, and this game is definitely trying to do something like that and even mostly succeeds - you have to wander pretty deliberately far afield to do it but you CAN encounter "outside level range" stuff as common map filler once the map opens up after Chapter 1.

I agree that, even outside the obvious rear end in a top hat DM encounters like Viscount Smoulderburn or the Greater Enraged Owlbears, certain enemies (ironically, mostly other owlbears, I'm wondering if they're some kind of mascot of theirs or something) are weirdly overtuned for no good reason, but I think the dichotomy you're drawing is somewhat too simple.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

lurksion posted:

Saving the two Aldori sisters in the Hunting Quest from super owlbear is such a pain ugh. Even pre-casting haste before triggering it one gets murdered before you make it. Had to get lucky on initiative and RNG for a will CC to land first.

Note: if you only manage to save one, the other will apparently pop back up anyway, or at least she did in my game.

(the dialogue between them afterwards is mildly amusing enough to be worth all the quickloading I did to pull it off).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zodiac5000 posted:

I will give the game credit, I enjoyed the Old Sycamore catacombs quite a bit, they were neat, especially since 'cave system with tiny monsters and spiders' is not initially something I'm inclined to like. The First World was also kinda cool. Really, I kinda dig the oldschool fantasy Britain aesthetic this game has (so is that just a trait of this region of the Pathfinder world or is that all of pathfinder is super-throwbackish). I certainly enjoy not having to try to pronounce something in goddamn welsh when describing the game state to people, I'll give it that over PoE.

A thing (perhaps the only thing) that Kingmaker has legitimately done better than every other recent CRPG is evoke that old-school D&D-style narrative and feeling - not precisely the gameplay (though some of that as well) but the classic motley-murderhobos-jaunting-through-ersatz-Middle-Earth vibe of your Gold Box games or your Baldur's Gates or NWNs. Not to mention that, while I wasn't really a big Pathfinder fan, what I read about Golarion is really giving me that same kitchen-sink fantasy vibe as FR did and Kingmaker has realised their little corner of it rather well from what I've seen so far. (I've only gotten to the start of Season of Bloom before shelving the game to wait for them to patch it).

POE and even Divinity intentionally changed enough of that formula that some people could bounce off of them. Kingmaker unapologetically embraces it. If you actually want that (and god forbid if you want the rulesets that go with it) this is basically your only choice right now. If you want to play a good game or a finished game then you should probably wait.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 22, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

So has anyone successfully navigated the apparent mindfield of bugged out lose conditions and unavoidable party wipes and actually completed this game?

The "win the game!" achievement now has 0.1% listed, so...maybe?

(I'm not convinced that people aren't just using SAM to troll).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

At long last, on my way to the (probably) final battle, I finally found a dragon to kill.

And all I can say is drat, Jaethal.

Jaethal is a terrible person for my good-aligned party but every time I think I should bench her she drops some ridiculous hit like that and I reconsider.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

loving finally.
To both of those.

I was thinking of giving this another go when my current BG2 and IWD ironman runs reach their inevitable conclusion, probably gonna do it now. Although, maybe I should wait until the other kingdom stats matter.

The Vendor Progression mod appears to do this for other stats as well.

I've also been tempted to give this another shot too now that it's gotten some patching (though with 1.3 in beta I might wait until that patch is final and some mods update for it) but I assume that it's better for me to restart rather than try to pick my abandoned save game back up?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Looks like 1.3 went live. If you were using EA I think your saves are going to be busted until someone fixes the mod.

If this happened to you (or if you just were in a hurry like me), someone has forked and released an update to EA for 1.3 here until the dev gets around to doing it herself.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

grah posted:

Given that, I think the troll decision is better than people are giving it credit for here.

Yeah, I haven't played out the decision to ally with Trobold (and I doubt I will because I do not expect to replay this enough times to roll a PC who would be personally okay with it) but from what I've been spoiled on about it it doesn't seem like "the game punishes you for not doing genocide" unless you consider "the few other people who the game gives a voice on your decisions are skeptical-to-outraged based on their lived experience" or "your alignment score changes" to be punishments. Or am I missing something? In terms of narrative consequences it seems a neutral to good (small letters key) outcome.

Yes, the Standard D&D-Style Narrative can be problematic in a lot of ways and this game does not depart very much from it, but hyperbolic criticism is another way in which Alignment Debates Are Bad.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 2, 2019

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Prism posted:

Do I have to complete all of Lamashtu's Womb too?

This is what you need to do, yes.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I've never had a huge amount of trouble (in terms of safety anyway) resting in the wilderness if need be, that seems to make more sense than travelling massively out of your way to get to Oleg's or any villages you may have built for an easy rest (though you can do that, yes).

Also you can access the kingdom management screen to make kingdom decisions from the world map anywhere inside your claimed territory (and even from regions that only border yours, if you've built an aviary in your region's village), you only need to physically go back to the throne room for specific events that require you to meet visitors.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Prism posted:

I am aware of both those things but wilderness resting does not remove Death's Door

Huh, TIL. (I've always played with Death's Door off so I didn't realise that only town rests cleared it) - and yeah, Womb of Lamashtu is definitely not a dungeon you want to take on in that situation.

Sorry if I came off as condescending. Have fun storming the castle!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Yarrington posted:

Do you have a link to those builds handy?

The OP's posts in this thread are a good place to start in that regard - I'm definitely more into immersion than being optimal, so I've been following them for companions in my playthrough and having "good enough while being immersive" builds for them really opened up the space for me to go with whatever I want for my PCs' builds.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

When the very first build I read for Valerie has her take 8 levels of fighter and not the 9th one , I just feel a bit sad.

I assume you mean because of the shield bonus to touch AC from TSS 9, or is there some other reason I'm missing?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

Pretty much. In comparison, 8th level of Stalwart gives what, another defensive stance?

2 extra rounds of defensive stance, plus another defensive stance power, yeah (in this case, an extra point in DR). Considering how important touch AC is at that point in Kingmaker it's definitely a debatable pick but I still broadly recommend that thread for anyone interested in that approach to NPC builds (turning Linzi into an offtank and Tristian into an actually useful combatant while still staying on their themes was, frankly, inspired).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I figured that I might be able to farm an extra level in the Tenebrous Depths for my L18 party before going to Thousand Voices and what looks like endgame (I might actually finish this, finally, thanks to the quarantine), but man whatever algorithm decided to put SIX mandragora swarms in this one room on L14 can gently caress right off TYVM.

Lucky it was a side path at least but I can't think of any possible loot they could put at the end of that branch that would be worth the reloads it would take to pull that off, except maybe some Bane of the Living-tier hand-placed super item.

Also it looks like there actually WON'T be enough XP in this DLC to make a dent in what I need for L19, oh well. At least this weird theme build idea I had is working out (though I really hope Wrath brings in the Sanctified Slayer Inquisitor archetype so I can do it with fewer silly contortions and lost casting levels).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 16, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Didn't they, though? Her whole thing as I read her is that she disdains beauty and art in favour of practicality and being a skilled fighter and loyal protector, but the world keeps trying to define her by her beauty anyway. That can absolutely be a boring character concept (and I'm not sure that Owlcat were able to write/depict her as believably "beautiful"/inspiring enough, or build her ingame as believably competent enough to pull it off) but the intent seems clear enough.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 23, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

So Call of the Wild adding the Sanctified Slayer archetype (plus the mod author walking back their Nexus tantrum and uploading it again) has me eyeing another run, but a) some mod update or other broke my save so I can't just reload my endgame save to respec my insane frankenbuild into it, and b) my first run through the campaign took 200 hours and I'm not really feeling that kind of time commitment, even in this time of quarantine.

But I do own the Stolen Lands DLC, sooooo I have a question about its roguelike mode, for people who've played it a lot: what kind of loot shows up in it? Do unique items from the main game appear there (either from drops or from vendors) or is it all just generic +X type stuff?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 3, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Avalerion posted:

I think the only thing that really requires a guide is if you want to do the "secret" romance which is a prerequisite for the best ending.

They made that a little easier too - one of the easy to miss decisions that was supposed to make it impossible (not bringing Tristian to Vordakai's tomb so you can talk him out of stealing the Oculus for Nyrissa so she can find the real Briar and prevent you from repairing her soul) was made reversible in a patch (if Nyrissa finds the real Briar, you can find it in a chest at the HatEoT before you meet her and then follow through on the secret ending if you meet the other requirements).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Kalas posted:

The checklist for the secret romance is so exacting I suggest you just google it.

It's something you have to do from the start, and there's a lot of critical steps along the way you can't screw up.

Besides being nice to Nyrissa in the dreams, you have to make Tristian likes you enough to destroy the oculus. There's more but thats a few big points.

The second of those actually got a patch change but nobody updated the relevant guides: if Tristian steals the Oculus instead of destroying it you can still progress the secret romance.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I can't imagine trying to complete that last dungeon without crafting permanent Freedom of Movement on everyone using the craft mod and paying the Blind Fight feat tax.

Shame Owlcat didn't give a bit more freedom to craft equipment (as opposed to consumables) this time around but I suppose the modders will handle that again and here I am, spending the first half of this week dusting off builds, picking fun-sounding companions and mythic paths, as if I hadn't bought Kingmaker at launch and didn't know how this is gonna go.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Any thoughts on what classes would fit well with a Magus 20 if I end up going Legend on this first run? (also eyeing Aeon and maybe Angel but I kinda want a backup idea in case neither of those work for me story-wise. Saving Azata and Trickster for other characters they fit better, not really vibing with Gold Dragon/Demon/Lich/Swarm).

My first thought is a dip in the Student of War PrC for Int to AC then maybe going Wizard/EK for access to level 9 spells, but I get the impression that that will take a long-rear end time to pay off. Anyone see something I miss that fits?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 2, 2021

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Also playing on Core difficulty and man if this was tabletop I'd have some words for the DM. Jesus Christ, even with exploiting all the CC spells I'm still having to save scum because of poo poo like fireball demons (on my level 5 party) behind a secret door with a ton of backup.

Given what level your party is I think we just ran into the same fight? Kenabres Market Square, a house in the south-central edge of the map with the roof on fire?

There's an interactable just outside the house and if you pass the skill check it tells you there's a pyromaniac demon inside
- but I, too, only saw this after reloading. The first time I just walked in hoping it would be a mostly empty house I could rest in before taking on the other two demon packs in that corner of the map and well, reader, It Was Not.

But to do more than bitch - if you have Camellia or someone else with entangle, it actually stands a decent chance of disrupting the demon's fireballs (though not the breath weapon, alas) and the sickening variety also might weaken the meat shield demons that are along for the ride to help your front line hold the choke point (though as usual Glitterdust is better for messing up the enemy front line and whatever CC spells you use you probably want Dex tanks or good CMD because that big wrecker demon loooooves to sunder armour and whoever that lands on is going to have a bad day).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 5, 2021

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Helion posted:

I understand that it's almost certainly a Bad Choice, but being a flame dancer bard meant that place put a great big grin on my face.

oh yeah, I'd gotten enough Resist Fire scrolls and a couple of items with it in loot so my entire frontline had decent fire res, my strategy basically boiled down to "rush Seelah/Camellia/my Sanctified Slayer forward so there's enough separation between them and Lann/Ember/Wojlif in the back that the fireballs won't hit both groups, win the scrum in the middle, profit"

Gotta say, I had intended to save Camellia for another playthrough with a more compatible PC for her (or at least one where their conflict would be narratively interesting) but there really aren't enough melee companions available early and she has been really handy mechanically. I suppose I could make a merc but it feels like a waste while I still have to discover which of the party NPCs I find too insufferable to ever use.

edit: on that front, I do get why this isn't a thing but I've just hit the tavern battle and man I would really love to have the NPCs I couldn't fit in my party participate in the defense, like a PoE2 ship battle.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 5, 2021

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Things that are the same type of bonus won't stack. If you have a +2 deflection ring and cast shield of faith which gives a +2 deflection bonus to AC, you won't get +4, just +2. This is the same for everything: stats, skill checks, attack damage, attack rolls...

Only almost everything: in Pathfinder, some specific types of bonuses stack with others of the same type: generally dodge bonuses, racial bonuses, and some-but-not-all circumstance bonus stack, as well as untyped bonuses that are not from the same source.

This is why I only play 3.5-alikes when there is a computer keeping track of all this poo poo for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

pentyne posted:

I've just not figured out the combination of things to be doing sans equipment to stack them all, plus once you start getting equipment you have figure out what overrides what. I can't tell yet, but if you have a ring of +1 deflection, does that prevent a spell of +2 deflection from increasing your AC?

The highest bonus of X type will always apply. I think the game (in one of its more notable improvements over Kingmaker) will highlight when you've applied conflicting bonuses - so for example when I cast Shield of Faith (+2 deflection) on my PC who had a Ring of Protection (+1 deflection), there was a tutorial notice and also an icon on the portrait saying "you have these two bonuses applied but only the higher one is actually working".

The first part is harder, because it's going to depend on knowing the feat list, the spell list, and your class features very, very well (or not being afraid to go find a wiki - hopefully not the fextralife one because it's poo poo - or take notes from the various screens in game, or just go find a build guide where someone else has already done this for you), because there's no real place that easily consolidates all the various types of bonuses you currently and could potentially have access to, and finding the synergies for all of these between your race, class, feature, feat and equipment selections is pretty much the core of system mastery.