Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Logical1234 posted:

You know, after rewatching Rebels, I got to ask.

Do you think the Lothal Sector is like the Bermuda Triangle to the Empire. This sector of the galaxy that has a tendency of destroying your ships and has a high level of weird Force poo poo that occurs around there? Of sure. Ezra isn’t around to direct the animal show, but those Loth-wolves are still active .

One day we will get some backstory on what the deal was with that darn temples history. Or we won’t and the loth-cats shall laugh at our suffering.

Seriously though, Lothal honestly is somehow more weird to me than Mortis in some aspects because at least the Mortis stuffed was only really experienced by other force users. You could honestly make a decent argument that Mortis was just a weird vision.

The Lothal Force stuff is weird in that the mystical force stuff drags everyone, non-force user or not onto it’s wild ride. Its odd to say the least. Not bad,I actually like it. But it’s definitely... different.

According to the Rebels' Finale the expected Imperial attack after Lothal's liberation. My personal theory is that after all the weird poo poo in those reports and what happened to Thrawn no Admiral in the fleet wanted to go near Lothal. Between the weird transdimensional wolves, the space whales, and the living planet that likes to troll you nobody wants that sector near their life or their career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I did read the Solo novelization. Having Qira as a pov character, and thus having access to her thoughts makes it a different story, since in the movie there's an open question of how much genuine feeling vs manipulation is involved in her relationship with Han.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, what’s the book’s answer to that question then?

Her thoughts remain fairly consistent between the Correlia and after the time skip, which surprised me. When I watched the movie I was drawing a line between before and after, thinking that her experiences had hardened her and her wistfulness was as much for her own innocence as for Han. In the book she is making the same kinds of calculations before and after, and has similar feelings for Han before and after the time skip.

When she says she doesn't blame Han for leaving her she is being absolutely genuine, according to the book. She considers that to have been the logical move and what she would have done.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Almost certainly, you don't have to spend ten years of accelerated growth in a high tech facility, you just hang out a shingle on an impoverished planet and pick the 19 year olds who show up.

I've seen a suggestion that the structure of the imperial military is more about providing jobs than it is about military effectiveness. Getting poorer humans to enlist makes it less likely that their families will oppose the Empire and keeps a lot of young people busy and not joining pirates or rebels. The Empire could produce smaller numbers of superior fighters instead of TIEs, or make armor that could actually protect troopers, but spending more resources on individual recruits would mean fewer humans brought into the military complex.

Essentially, the response to the separatist crisis is a new policy for the outer rim: Repression and slavery for non-humans and military industrial complex Keynesianism for the humans.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Thrawn lost because he forgot there was a Galaxy outside of the art-producing humanoid cultures he profiled, and he got abducted by space whales.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Sash! posted:

I have a fear of flying and I have a superstition I use to help myself cope. When I board a plane, I pat it on the fuselage right beside the door and say "hello airplane," like you would pat a horse you're about to get on. Then, when we're getting off the plane, I pat the plane again and say "thank you airplane." As long as I greet and thank the airplane, it will get me there safely.

I know someone who thanks her car after every drive. Dealing with the uncertainties of life with technology through Animism is not that uncommon

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
The Rancor had just imprinted on Boba, Machete was just reassuring the Rancor

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Boba Fett: Centrist Democrat?!?!?

Nonsense, he didn't use a drone to airstrike the Kintan Striders, he did it himself.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

I'm betting it's going to be neither and Din's still going to be in his post-Grogu "growing a beer belly while taking odd jobs in his broken down Accord" phase

He doesn't have a ship anymore. He is going to be taking public transit in his full armor, with the darksaber and his pulse rifle and the beskar spear, getting weird looks from everyone else on that space train.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Maybe he stepped away for a moment, then when he saw that lightsabre light up he ran for the exits. Seems the sensible thing to do when a self-proclaimed Jedi turns out to actually have one and can use it to hack up all the guards.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
That could just be polis Massans not knowing poo poo about human biology.

I don't think the Jedi manipulating things to keep technology stagnant has any basis, for a start there aren't enough Jedi to catch all the backyard inventors out there.

My own theory is that the Star Wars Galaxy is technogically stagnant because they've hit the limit of what they can do with their existing material science and grasp of physical laws. They can make refinements and higher and lower quality products, but they are at the limit of what they can do. The next "step" would be moving into direct manipulation of force energies to create technology that's interacts with those energies, but with so few force sensitives it's hard to advance that.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Everyone posted:

They don't have to catch all the backyard inventors - just prevent "disruptive" inventions from becoming widely known. And it wouldn't just be technology. Why is there still slavery in the Old Republic? Probably because attacking it would be too disruptive. The Jedi don't want to guide the galaxy into full development. They want to maintain a "peaceful" status quo no matter what.

The only slavery in the Republic is droid slavery, Tatooine was outside of Republic control and didn't even accept Republic money

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Fair point. But that doesn't say anything about the status of slavery apart from the extreme situation of the clone wars. Padme is genuinely shocked at the existence of slavery in Tatooine in TPM, hardly consistent with slavery being normalized in the Republic.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Oh i don't disagree at all. The use of the clone army is failure of the ideals of both Jedi and Republic that brings both down.

I think the Tatooine situation is a little more complicated because the Jedi did turn themselves into agents of the government on Coruscant, and as such represent it. On the one hand fighting against slavery in the outer rim is an obvious moral good. On the other hand, how would we feel about a military officer just starting a war without any government approval? That's essentially what it would be if the Jedi drew the Republic into an invasion/liberation of the outer rim without senate approval

I suppose the obvious argument from that is that the Jedi should never have been part of the Republic, that they should have stayed lone wanderers or hermits to not be morally compromised.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Sash! posted:

They did have government approval.

An agent of the Republic was investigating the attempted assassination of a sitting member of the Senate by a breakaway faction of the state. They capture the agent and sentence the Senator and agent to public execution. At this point, the Senate authorizes the executive to use whatever military power is required to meet the actions of the Separatists. The execution order for a senate member is the red line. Use of force by the breakaway faction is a common go/no go moment for the parent government.

The Jedi didn't go off rogue to start a war. Up to this point, everything was part of a perfectly reasonable security operation that was taking place under what appear to be the normal powers of the executive. It isn't until the execution order comes that things change.

The legislature approves the use of force with the Military Creation Act and the emergency powers passage. The executive gives the green light for the extraction. But, extracting the agents and Senator is going to require substantial force and will undoubtedly lead to severe escalation.

I was referring to the situation in The Phantom Menace. Qui-Gonn had the authorization to broker talks between the Trade Federation and Naboo, then he interpreted his orders into protecting the Queen and getting her to Coruscant when the situation changed. He didn't try to start a slave uprising on Tatooine, which is where I usually see the Jedi criticized over slavery. But if he'd tried to start a conflict with the Hutts by destablziing a planet under their control, as an agent of the Republic he would be embroiling the Republic in that conflict without any instructions or input from the Republic's government.

The Jedi taking babies thing is just messed up, I can't really defend that policy of the prequels-era order. In the KOTOR timeframe they are a lot more humane, with parents and siblings getting visits and calls with their Jedi family member.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I don't know if Bo-Katan's faction is more open, I'm not sure if they even recruit or if they are all from the old houses and clans. It's not clear if they accept conversion to to Mandalorianism or if that is only the Watch's thing.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Well she certainly had strong feelings about seeing Boba with his armor on. She's willing to be more flexible to get Din's help in her first episode though, so who knows.

Do you think any of New Mandalorians, the pacifists, survived?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Corran’s fine when he isn’t written by Stackpole because then he’s just “what if Han was a Jedi” instead of a flawless author self-insert

Corran Horn was proud of sending people into judicial enslavement on Kessel, he will never be fine.

I'll gladly take Kyp "pissed off ex-slave kills loads of nazis" over Corran "I'm proud of catching people to be enslaved for misdemeanors" Horn

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Thrawn is Imperial Navy. It's not crazy that the Jedi hunting inquisitors know things about Vader that would be secret to the Navy, Army, or Stormtrooper corp

Servetus fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 2, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Personally I think Lola is completely consistent with the safety standards, and child safety standards, we have seen in a galaxy far far away.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I'd say he looks better than Ezra

Ezra was still a teenager at the end of Rebels. He got hot after highschool the Lothal insurgency.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 10, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like the part that felt the weakest this time was imperial lady subplot. I don't know what was really added by her scenes this time except that she is probably on nazi amphetamines

I have the feeling she will intersect with either Syria Karn's or Mon Mothma's plots soon. Karn doesn't seem willing to let the hunt for Cassian go. In the meantime I think she is supposed to be a perspective on what the Imperials are seeing while Andie steals stuff, Mon Mothma goes to dinner parties, and Luthen moves from one world to another.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

zoux posted:

With the exception of Thrawn, I'm struggling to recall any SW alien in Imperial garb.

Thrawn had Rukh, his Noghri agent, but Rukh didn't have a uniform. In Legends he had more Noghri as well. Also in Legends, there were non-human Imperial stormtroopers in the Legacy comics, set a century in the future. Technically a different Empire though.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

darkgray posted:

This latest episode wasn't bad, really, but it felt somewhat underwhelming. Like it's filling in the section between beginning and ending, and it's all stuff you'd probably extrapolate even if it wasn't explicitly shown. I'm guessing it plays better if you binge all three episodes, but who can wait these days.

I kind of had the same feeling about episode 2, and expect to have the same feeling about episode 8. It's not that nothing happens, it's that these are episodes about setting things up for the arc conclusion.

I assume that the Aldhani are a human culture because lieutenant Gorn fell in love with an Aldhani woman. I mean he could be an otter-fucker like Corran Horn; but the imperial pilots seemed to think some humans or humanoids herding sheep in the area was normal, so the Aldhani are probably human.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Star Wars is such a lovely monster of a world. Few fantasy shows would get away with slapping a few extra horns on a sheep and call it an alien beast but it just loving works.

I just assumed those were sheep, just with two more horns than a Jacob's sheep. Not that crazy.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Squidster posted:

I remain in awe of how badly Diet Fash hosed himself. He personally destroyed an entire interstellar corporation; who in god's name would want him as an employee?

Uncle Harlo is likely a smuggler looking to use Syril's corpo security knowledge to evade blockades. Harlo might even work for Saw. I think we'll see Syril run into Cassian as a fellow criminal, then try to rat him out to the Imperials.

This is probably more likely than my theory: Harlow runs a catering business and the Mothmas are going to need to hire extra help with the big dinner. Syril is going to have a waiter's outfit on next time we see him.

"Did you modify your uniform?"

After that he'd either skip planet to hunt Cassian or get picked up by the ISB for further questions.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Andor keeping that cop's blaster is going to be a disastrous decision. The blaster is going to get lost during the heist and it will make a link between the starpath unit and the payroll heist.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

An Ewok to kill a guy with a bow whose clearly based on mad hack Churchill and he gets his own show

Luke Skywalker and Chirrut Inwe were both that guy in the Rebellion.

I mean, can you imagine talking about Luke before he gets trained by Yoda?

"This guy carries a karking Lightsaber with him on missions? And no one says anything?"

"Look, I know it's weird; but besides that he's rock solid. Loyal, good fighter, and if you need close air support there literally isn't anyone better. You just have to accept the weirdness as part of the package."

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Kesper North posted:

In cCassian's tribe on Camorria, where are the elders? The oldest one seemed to be like twenty. I can only assume either this is a Lord of the Flies castaway situation... or the elders all died or were enslaved to work in the mines i guess? i doubt it's Lord of the Flies because they seemed to have too much ritual and understanding of how to live in the jungle, but their clothing looks like it's made up of parts of mended Republic uniforms, which says castaway. It's all very confusing, semiotically. I also noticed that the kids know to be afraid of starships. Having subtitles for these parts would probably help explain all this, but there were none on my stream.

My guess is that there was environmental contamination from the mining disaster, and no one lives past their mid twenties due to some sickness from the contamination. New kids are being born to the population but there are no elders; it's Logan's run planet.

My reasoning for this theory is their language drift, the kids are probably generations removed from the mining disaster.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Vagabong posted:

Yeah, him saying they took a big risk taking someone like her on gave me the vibe that it was either a sexist thing or a weird class/aristocratic type deal.

I assume she's from a poorer area and has a single living parent; to mirror both Cassian Andor and Syril Karn.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was honestly expecting a very shot of him using the corpogat with conspicuous serial number in the shootout and being forced to abandon it there to tie him to the scene.

I was sure it was going to happen. Chekhov's blaster is still in play though, he can still lose it on a future mission. The only members of the heist team left at the scene were Lieutenant Horn and Taramin, an imperial officer and a former stormtrooper. The empire may be focused on an inside job aspect, some play for power within the military power structure.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Do you suppose Nemik is the sort to put references to his natural surroundings when he's writing his manifesto; use local materials for the covers or refer to the Aldhani landscape or way of life while they were camping out for months getting ready for the heist? Andor's stash in Keef Gurga's appartment connects him to Ferrix through Karn's blaster, but I wonder what there besides a stack of Imperial credits links him to Aldhani.

I suspect that Dedra will make the connection, and assume that Andor is Axis's best operative hitting all these facilities then vanishing, while Andor is still in his mercenary/criminal phase and Luthen is still trying to track him down.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think the hands thing was there to make us dread and anticipate a maiming happening, then when they have poor Ulaf go down to a stroke it’s just that much more unexpected.

They were specifically showing Ulaf having trouble with his hands; he was having trouble with some of the physical tasks last episode and he was rubbing them as if they were aching a lot. Then he was slow to get his hands clear earlier in this episode. Then it turns out to be a red herring, stroke instead of sudden mutilation.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

codo27 posted:

Even the wife is impressed. She did bring up a good point though. Why no alien prisoners? Lord knows the empire are just space republicans so we know that they are racist. Small details.

The only other thing so far from the whole season that kinda made me go uhhh was the cutting of the water pipe, especially when he is really giving it to it at the end, even with the working going on you'd think someone might hear. Sorry to nitpick.

I went to suggested after going back to the menu and saw Obi Wan. I forgot that loving show came out. I was apologetic of Boba Fett but it wasn't really close to Mando and this blows Mando out of the galaxy all together.

Everyone is doing loving great, but imagine if this kind of writing was on offer when we had Cushing, Guiness and Lee to work with. Ultimate glass half empty take, but it just rubs more salt in the wounds of the prequels and basically everything else post RotJ, how much better it could have been.

Aliens get sent to Kessel, or the Death Star construction sites, or some other obvious hard labor hell hole with shackles and tons of guards. Humans get sent to the "less invasive" prisons were they can have incentives and the false hope of eventual release dangled in front of them to control them with fewer guards. Try telling a Wookie, an Aqualish, or a Devaronian that the Empire will let them go at the end of their sentence and they will laugh in your face. Hope is an essential component of Nirkana's prison system, and without that hope it collapses. You couldn't send a Wookie there because they have no hope of the Empire's Speciesist system bending in their favour for once, while a human can have that hope.

quote:

The best thing about Kino is that if you're of darkest mind you can imagine he is left behind, giving himself up for the freedom of others. Or worse, dives in anyways and dies in the water. The optimistic can go back to his speech, about seeing the lost and confused and to help them push forward, and imagine the prisoners doing the same for him at that moment and pulling him to shore.

I hope we never see him again in a million years.

I choose to believe that he lived, that somewhere up the beach a mile or two some other escapees got Kino to shore and are staggering in the other direction than Cassian and Melshi went in.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, that was my reading as well, but maybe I misinterpreted it?

I think you and Rochallor have the correct interpretation

Rough Transcript from that part of the episode (excuse my attempts at punctuation)

quote:

Mon: It's not me.

Vel: Perrin?

Mon: No. No. He's strangely open minded on this topic; it's her. It's Leida.

Vel: Oh no.

Mon: She loves it, and her friends. It's the only thing that she show up on time for, it's mad.

Vel: I can't believe this.

Mon: She found the Elder.

So Leida found this on her own, and it's not coming from Perrin or Mon. Perrin might be a Security Hawk socialite but he is open-minded about moving away from Chandrilan customs.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What year is Andor taking place?

5 years before the Battle of Yavin, roughly contemporaneous with Rebels Season 1.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What were your guesses about what they were building in the prison? At first I thought it was K2S0’s model and Cassian would reprogram one for an escape, then I thought they were probe droids, then during the reveal before the camera zoomed out thought they were TIE cockpits.

I thought it might be a component of either an AT-ST, or a small Turbolaser mount. It looked like there could be powered joints to allow what was on top to both rotate and tilt. Just a simple piece of war materiel that the empire needs loads of.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

Not sure that Chandrila has a one child policy??

It's Legends material, so it may not be true in the new canon.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Chandrila/Legends#Chandrilans

quote:

The laws were ratified by every city on the planet and prevented families from having more than one child unless they submitted special permits. Even those families that had multiple children rarely had more than two.

Either this isn't true in Disney's timeline, or it is true now but wasn't true a few generations ago, or some of their ancestors got permits.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

His sister is Mara Jade.

I was honestly thinking this. Cassian will never find his sister in the show, but there will be a little aside in a Coruscant plot that will introduce her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Fighting Trousers posted:

When season 2 starts, I desperately need Dedra to tell him "Actually saving my life entitles you to neither jack nor poo poo" and giving him the brush off just when he thinks he's finally going to get a win.

I want Syril to get driven clean out of imperial service. Karn and Mosk show up as rather sad Bounty Hunters in the Mandalorian or Ahsoka shows.