Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

WampaLord posted:

SOME OF US LIVE IN FLORIDA and really don't like being told "Be happy!" after what happened last night.

Same except switch for Georgia.

I'm also a minority.

It was expected, but it still loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

what about "asked to resign"

i mean, in the private sector, if you are asked to resign, that basically means "because we're firing you if you don't"

True, and same here, but we need to look at the legality of it, which is that, legally, sessions resigned.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Really, you could do much worse than Kemp when it comes to LGBT stuff. Much, much worse.

If he wins, then I guess we'll see if he'll do like Deal and side with the pro business republicans instead of the bible thumpers.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Deified Data posted:

I'm at work, what exactly did Acosta do that they are spinning into assaulting an intern?

She tried to take the microphone from him and he turned away and wouldn't let her take it. She grabbed it and they struggled with it for about 5 seconds or so.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

What the gently caress are you even saying?

That dozens of people have died over the past two years, in part because the president stirs up anger and resentment and it causes an atmosphere that encourages violence.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

My opinion of GWB has admittedly swung from evil to well-meaning but incompetent, ineffective, misguided, and completely unaware of the realities of the country and its people. A bad president but not pure evil. I wouldn't say my opinion of him is positive, but he tried to be a good president and failed.

Like, I think GWB is capable of empathy, like he'd sit there and be able to sympathize with a parent about losing their child. Trump would just make fun of them for crying and call them an idiot liberal for asking for gun control and tell them their child didn't want to live enough or they'd be alive.

Ugh, yeah. At least bush publicly tried to discourage racism.

Remember he was gonna do immigration reform before 9/11, and his speeches afterwards often emphasized that Arabs and Muslims were not the enemy.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

What kind of monster turns down the opportunity to serve their country through a jury trial :911:

Especially considering that you don't even need to consider yourself a racist to get out of jury duty, much the opposite! "I consider the US justice system a sham and a thin coverup to disenfranchise and enslave black men in the modern era."

Good luck saying that on jury selection and sticking around.

That or bring up jury nullification.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

Because that was impossible to pass, due to needing the support of right-wing Democrats.

If they'd have listened to you and held out for the perfect, it would most likely have collapsed and never got done. Like all the other times they tried it.

Obama barely even tried.

There's a difference between actually trying for something and giving up before you even start.

I mean, you can agree about whether it was the correct political move at that level. I think Obama might have even made good decisions, in the end.

But when it comes to keeping his base, and the general activist base that, yknow, helps keep political parties alive, Obamas lack of even pretending to care about setting up an actual non insane health care system took the wind out of A LOT OF people's sails.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

I remember those days. Obama and the entire Democratic party sweated blood over passing Obamacare. They didn't just turn up and go "Eh" and do the bare minimum. The Republicans fought them tooth and nail, and spread the vilest propaganda.

But I guess, Democrats are a Waste, huh?

Obama is a great, stirring orator when he choose to.

Why didn't he get up and make stirring speeches about the need for better health care?

Why did he disband a nationwide network of passionate, experienced activists?

Why didn't he stump the country for it?

They only barely got what they got, because they began, publicly, as if they were aiming for a compromise position that was a literal republican policy platform in the 90s.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

:eng101: Actually, because of the convoluted affordability mechanism based on the second lowest-cost silver plan the 2018 plans were much better bang for the buck because of the cost-sharing funding being withheld. (Many gold plans were the same price as silver plans, e.g., and bronze plans cost next-to-nothing.)

And the 2019 pricing for most exchange plans is surprisingly good for folks with subsidies, because the insurers who stayed in the marketplace have fine-tuned their pricing by this point. Given the removal of the mandate penalty for 2019 and beyond, I was pretty surprised by this.

Serious question, are you joke posting here? It reads like a parody of technocratic neoliberalism.

Fwiw, how about this? I'm a veteran, I have two jobs. I own my own business.

I have to go to the VA for health care and my wife just doesn't go to the doctor because it's too expensive, seriously, the cheapest plans we could get cost a ton, and even tho we could eke out paying them, even with them, actually going to the doctor is too expensive, so why bother getting it?

You can argue about how it was supposed to have done, and how it has helped folks (because it absolutely has), but, please, stop acting like the ACA was a good thing....because it really hasn't, and has actually made life worse for a lot of people are being marginalized.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

What party do you see fellow trans women running in most often these days? You keep acting like every Dem down to the last is someone completely alien to your experience and that's just flat out wrong. Things are changing, it just takes time. The whole party isn't Chuck and loving Nancy. In fact, as of Tuesday, it's less Chuck and Nancy than it ever has been ever.

Your arguing against Trans women lived experience, including my own.

Dems are better than repubs, but that's not saying much at all.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

I mean you're right, the history of both parties on this issue sucks but again, on a go forward basis, which party do you see more trans women represented in? Can we turn the page here? Just saying, if there's a trans woman running as a Republican please show me where it is. Even Caitlyn Jenner, privileged and rich and deluded though she is threw Trump overboard.

Dems slowly slowly have made my life worse.

Sure, republicans make it worse faster, but dems are....not good on the issue.

I vote for Democrats, but I do so reluctantly for the most part.

In fact, I'll go out here and SPECIFICALLY call out the Obama administration for loving us over, by changing some standing policies in the federal government to make it easier for trans folks, but what did that do? It was a tokenesque handout, riled up republicans to the fact that trans folk even exist, and now rear end in a top hat in office took those away and then some from me and mine.

You know what would actually help most trans people, considering were primarily poor as poo poo?

Universal health care.

A strong social safety net.

poo poo, UBI!

All those things would make immediate improvements in my quality of life and that for a LOT of my trans siblings....sure, passports are nice, but most of us are struggling to make sure how to not end up homeless, so ahahaha lol at helping us with an ID that costs hundreds of dollars.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

archangelwar posted:

12 < 7.25 (or even less in states with tipped position rules) because Hillary. A hot take, “my man.” So happy we have Trump instead.

The issue is that hillary was already compromising before even thinking of negotiating with the repubs.

Minimum wage should be about 23 bucks an hour. Instead, 15 becomes 12 becomes 10, but slowly implemented over a decade or some such.

Like...sure, 13 is better than 7.25, but republicans are so extreme you have to start negotiating at an extreme position to get where you actually want to be.

Fight for fifteen is already a compromise position.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Koalas Massacre posted:

Oh absolutely! That's where the white fragility comes in 😉

If you're white and haven't called out racism at least to the point where you've been called a race traitor, you gotta up your game.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Petr posted:

Noted, still not off my list of people our politicians should emulate.

Harvey Milk outed a closeted Vietnam vet who stopped an assassination attempt against Ford, against the dudes wishes. It destroyed his family relationship and the dudes life went down the tubes.

Harvey Milk was an rear end in a top hat.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Why would Ford want to be assassinated?

Maybe ford was really really embarrassed by Chevy chase making fun of him all the time?

Lol, outing the dude against the dudes wishes.

Not the assassination attempt.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

friendbot2000 posted:

Well, to be fair, Americans have washed the KKK and their breed of homegrown fascists of any animus towards other Caucasian groups like Catholics, the Irish, Polish, Italians, everyone in existence and reframed their historical context as only hating brown people. I suspect a significant portion of the electorate has no idea that the KKK targeted white people(they reeeeeally hated the Catholics) as much as they targeted black people. In short, if you are "other" in these cretins eyes, then you have always been a target. American Textbooks are written in a way that really undercuts this and that does an injustice to fighting fascists because it leaves people with an out because "they aren't being targeted."

Yes, this. I had great uncles and great grandfathers that killed Nazis and imperialist Japanese, but at the same time, even tho I'm white, I'm ethnically mostly Irish and Ukrainian, which are both groups that were out down and oppressed not too long ago.

An attack against one person's humanity is an attack against us all.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

I hope that fuckwad is killed in a mass shooting.

This poo poo for real pissing me off.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

My poo poo or their taking Jewish stars?

The latter.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

That's kinda the point.

A military full of soldiers that always runs away from combat wouldn't be very good at its entire purpose.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always been told that the US Military is specifically made to avoid rigid authority chains. Like if your commanding officer dies the whole thing restructures around the next in line as opposed to the stereotypical 'shoot the leader and they'll all give up'. I think someone posted about that in the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread about zombie movies where separated and isolated army squads turn to anarchy. It doesn't mean that wouldn't happen, but the training is meant to specifically avoid that.

Chain of command. A chain has links. :) even in a complete breakdown of a chain of command and you throw together an adhoc group of soldiers, they should be able to quickly organize themselves. Someone in that group will outrank everyone else.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Kale posted:

This one guy I used to know in high school ended up transitioning a few years back and becoming a woman and their family basically disowned them in response. It's pretty hosed up and appalling to me that things like this can happen. Like some personal belief about sex and gender apparently outweighs your love for your own child. I don't even entirely know what to say to that.......:(

This is pretty much par for the course, things have gotten better, but folks coming out still brace for getting disowned.

My own family only about half of them don't talk to me anymore since I came out. I'm lucky.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

If ya give a mouse a cookie.....

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Zeno-25 posted:

Just tell people to start pillaging food from stores in rich, Republican voting suburban areas, instead of a problem for the Dems it turns into a problem for the GOP.

They can bring guillotines with them too, just like the Yellow Vests.

The problem with this is those folks generally dont have cars to get to those areas, and rich republicans have made sure mass transit in this country is a joke.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Reik posted:

They found out these kids go to Covington Catholic, looked at their faculty directory. 82 faculty members, all white.

So glad to see Christians out living their faith as Christ intended. /s

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Lol, 3 years?!?!

I *might* entertain, slightly, for a second, accepting if it was permanent.

These people are terrible.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They used lovely moon accounting to say that their tax cuts would actually increase government revenues by growing the economy, and thus was partly revenue neutral. You can't make the same case with wall funding.

I hate the wall....but dont public works projects increase the economy?

Thank God trump and co are idiots.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

You sort of need to have that be part of the plan. Their plan involves building a lovely wall as cheaply as possible and putting the rest into grifts.

Obviously it's just a grift.

But if you build a big useless wall in the middle of nowhere it could still masivdly stimulate the economy, if implemented correctly.

This is why 45 is so dumb at this, he could play up this angle to appeal to economically depressed folk to try to split millenials off of the left, but he won't.

Thank goodness. The entire idea of the wall makes me sick.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Wow, what a piece of poo poo!

My old roommate went to the hospital after having what we later found out was a stroke.

They literally kicked her out a saying she was just tired, despite the fact she couldn't even walk because she couldn't stand on or move one of her legs. She ended up dying a few weeks later.

gently caress these chud pieces of poo poo for playing the victim.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

KillHour posted:

I hope her family sued the everliving poo poo out of them. Also, I'm sorry for your loss. That really sucks.

Nah, she was trans and didn't get along with her family.

Thanks. She was a super sweet, if weird person, and the best roommate I've ever had. I miss her.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Koalas March posted:

Gotta eat to live! Gotta steal to eat! Tell you all about it when I've got the time.

No joke though I remember my mom stealing food from the restaurant she worked it so I could eat as a kid.

I worked at bk in high school and my parents took my paycheck so the only way I got to eat lunches at school was stealing money from the till

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean if your past actions hosed over trans people and trans sex workers and you run on a platform of 'my past speaks for itself' then idk what to tell you

This!

I'm a trans woman, and I don't trust Harris because of her past actions. Can she overcome that? Sure, in theory! But she'd have to work really really hard to overcome that mistrust.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

The Super-Id posted:

It doesn’t feel like enough if we put someone in who wants a return to the status quo.

It will just invite another trumpist to get elected, and they might actually be competent.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

The Russians lately have had, let's say, quality control issues in their aerospace industry.

I'm more worried about them having a malfunction and blowing up their own people.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

Twitter will also ban transwomen for using the word "Terf" in basically any context. I've literally see a trans woman slurred and threatened by pepe avatar, only to have the trans woman eat a week-long ban for saying "gently caress off Terf" in response.

The terf was not punished.

I got my account locked for "harrassing" 45.

Twitter is a tire fire of a joke.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Endorph posted:

'health officials would target the communities with the most HIV infections'

i guess the reagan comparisons really were apt

Hmm, with pence whispering in his ear I shudder to think how he wants to accomplish this.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

CmdrRiker posted:

I grew up with grandparents over summer vacation that took me to daily mass. (At the time I had undiagnosed ADHD, which kinda explains things a little now.) I remember sitting there willingly in church wishing that I could love God more because somehow the amount I did love God just wasn't adequate and I was going to go to hell. That poo poo really can brainwash you.

I was raised in a conservative catholic homeschooling household, and was p much convinced from the age of 8 I was a mortal sinner who was going to get aids, die, and go to hell.

I cannot emphasize how much I hate these groups for what they did to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

AOC owns up to her mistakes. Trump troubles down. Has that human shitstain EVER said "I was incorrect" in his entire life?