Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Dutton as Baghdad Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Lid posted:

Costigan held an extraordinary press conference on Thursday in which he admitted meeting the woman but denied any wrongdoing and threatened legal action. He said that he had been invited to stay at a home belonging to the grandparents of the woman at the centre of the complaint while on holidays.

“I had no shirt on and almost straight away after introducing myself, she didn’t expect me to be there and I didn’t expect anyone to turn up, I went and put one of my favourite Cowboys jerseys on,” he said. “Nothing bad happened, nothing sinister happened.

“Yeah, we took some selfies. How many of you people know I love a selfie? I love a photo, you all know that ... [I] put the old arm around. She didn’t look anything in terms of intimidation, or concern or worry.

“She was happy as Larry from my recollection.”

He said he had consulted a defamation lawyer.

“These are baseless allegations and we will be pursuing the matter through the courts like there is no tomorrow,” Costigan said.
Sad to see Les Norton fall this far.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I don’t know why I just remembered this but who was that Liberal MP who admitted loving his wife in his Parliament House office in the late 80s/early 90s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brown_(Australian_politician) ?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Scomo is doing a Facebook Live Q and A on Feb 5th. HE IS RUNNING FACEBOOK ADS ABOUT IT WHERE HE YELLS AT THE CAMERA AND AGGRESSIVELY WALKS TOWARDS THE CAMERA.

More proof that only boomers still give a gently caress about facebook

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

I honestly have no idea, my current employer (for the remainder of this week) only recognises the FSU, and they're abso-loving-lutely useless.

?!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

firing gun emoji

Ouch, sorry mate.

No good news coming out of that place.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You Am I posted:

Heads are starting to roll at the banks after the Royal Commission

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/07/nab-shares-put-in-trading-halt-pending-announcement-regarding-leadership

The poo poo thing is Thorburn still has the view that NAB and him personally did nothing wrong.

Holy poo poo, the FSU assistant secretary has the view that Ken Henry has done no wrong. Is the FSU as bad as the SDA?
Shame this didn't happen 12 months ago. NAB could have bought some of our athletes credibility like they did when Frank Cicutto fell on his sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNkV3C_gFzw

Ah Frank, you dumb gently caress. You provided me with many laughs over the years.

Jokes on me though, he made off with a fortune.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Don Dongington posted:

Henry and Thorburne falling on their swords is nice and all, but bring me the head of Michael Chaney and we'll start talking.
Good luck with that. Untouchable now he's with the WA crowd.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

In conclusion, boomers the world over are fuckwits and we'd be best served by stringing them the gently caress up.
The best you are probaby going to get is watching them suffer in the beds they have literally made for themselves.

Dumped in some hosed up unregulated nursing home or an “independent living” prison staffed by Matthew Wales types where the kids don’t even visit for Christmas sounds about fair.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

They've been splitting pretty hard these last 6 months, with high profile arguments occurring in a media environment that explicitly loathes them and wants them to split. A number of senior greens have left the party recently and the party is losing membership as a result of people playing petty politics
Going backwards in an election where environmental issues are likely to feature very prominently would be pretty bad look. Does "bad" just mean wheel spinning?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

All this may be true but Clementine’s story is more about her having a tin ear than independent media.

Anidav posted:

I've never seen an Insiders ep so favourable to Morrison before.

Born 1950.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

bowmore posted:

So how do we fix the bias in the mainstream media?
Buy content.

The cosmic balance is now way out of whack. Fairfax could have their cake and eat it for (what they thought would be an eternity) as people were likely to read their editorials while compelled to buy them to access half a foot of classifieds each Saturday. Throwing in a negligible subscription for the rest of the week was just a bonus.

So basically create a new mainstream.

And in better news...

quote:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/getup-poll-points-to-abbott-electoral-defeat-20190209-p50wqi.html

GetUp poll points to Abbott electoral defeat

Independent candidate Zali Steggall is on track to replace former prime minister Tony Abbott as the federal member for Warringah, according to a GetUp poll.

The activist group, which is campaigning to oust Mr Abbott from his traditionally Liberal seat on Sydney's northern beaches, commissioned a poll of 622 residents that showed the four-time Winter Olympian leading 54 to 46 on a two-party preferred basis.

The athlete-turned-barrister has positioned herself as an advocate of the "sensible centre" – economically responsible, while progressive on social issues and climate change.

Although the reliability of pre-election polls has been questioned, GetUp has seized on the results in support of its claim that Mr Abbott is "out of touch" with the majority of his electorate. The group is preparing a repeat of efforts backing Kerryn Phelps at last year's Wentworth byelection.

Campaign director Miriam Lyons said the polling backed what activists were hearing from voters in Warringah, especially on climate change – identified as the number-one reason for an intention to vote against Mr Abbott.

"This is just one poll, and we’re still a long way off the election, but I can’t imagine these numbers help Tony Abbott sleep at night," Ms Lyons said.

"He cannot escape the reality that most people in his electorate want to show him the door."

In the poll, 60 per cent of voters rated Mr Abbott's performance as a local member as "poor", and the same number said they would be more likely to vote for a candidate "with a plan to tackle climate change by replacing coal with clean energy".

For those who had previously voted for Mr Abbott but now planned to change their vote, the figure was 78 per cent.

Participants were asked about their voting intentions if the federal election, due in May, was held today and were instructed to chose between Ms Steggall, fellow independent Susan Moylan-Coombs, the Liberal Party, the ALP, the Greens or "other".

"Tony Abbott is out of touch," Ms Lyons said. "[He] has had 24 years to show he’s willing to listen to his community on issues like climate change and marriage equality, and for 24 years he’s chosen to go off and fight right-wing culture wars instead."

GetUp has signed up hundreds of volunteers to doorknock across Warringah, man phone banks and hand out how-to-vote cards in support of Ms Steggall.

Ms Lyons said Warringah voters cared deeply about climate change and expected the government to act.

"They know that Tony Abbott, more than anyone else in Parliament, has sabotaged renewable energy and blocked action on climate change and they’re ready to hold him accountable."

But the campaign director acknowledged that unseating Mr Abbott, who holds his seat on a 12 per cent margin, would be "a monumental task".

"He has the backing of a party machine and the coal lobby, and donors will pour millions of dollars into his campaign," Ms Lyons said. "It’s going to be a long, tough fight."

Good to see GetUp getting behind a local girl, daughter of a small town lawyer who would spend every spare winter moment skiing on the outskirts of Manly.

Does GetUp do this "enemy of my enemy" stuff often?

Zenithe posted:

TISM or get farked
If they had of done that Eurovision poo poo at the Collingwood Town Hall this would have been a total lock.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Can’t spell Elton without Elon.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Bourke invoking the legacy of Howard triggered the LNP nicely.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ewe2 posted:

15m after ALP's so he can have the last word and a bit of a cry.

Albo coming out hard, but looks like Bourke is playing with a straight bat.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Can you please include your pantsless Andrew Bolt caricature in this remake.

Maybe make him poo poo himself again too.

Slightly on topic, has Bolt emerged from whatever hole he lives in to screech yet?

Probably still hiding away wanking with sandpaper to build up his agony levels.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Bob Katter is threatening to withdraw support from the Morrison Govt unless the Govt legislates lower interest rates from the banks for Farmers only.

Not anyone else

Just farmers.

Just ploughed the backyard - where do I sign up?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Sorry to derail, but anyone got a sub to The Australian? This looks loving hilarious.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

AgentF posted:

I would have completely expected a fistfight to have broken out between Pauline and Mark Latham Scott Morrison.

Torch is ready to be passed.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

Ok I got fired from anz, ama.

I'm sorry tithin, ANZ is completely hosed on every level at the moment. There's nothing fair or logical when it comes to all that David Koresh tribes poo poo or what they are doing to their people.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What's the most hosed thing you ever saw at work?

Whatever it was there's an outside chance I might have had something to do with it.

joking

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

bowmore posted:

i want to buy pure mdma from the chemist please, i might be able to feel happiness

No loving way should the public be underwriting MDMA labs when dope is a 100% renewable resource.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Some more context.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/melbourne/programs/mornings/victorias-justice-system/10815020

quote:

3. The use of suppression orders in our courts is out of control. The public have no idea what is happening anymore, and there are some highly dubious uses of suppression orders every week. A suppression order ought never be applied to avoid embarrassment, or to protect an influential accused from public scrutiny.

Suppression orders are also meaningless in a digitally connected world, where information goes viral, sometimes sourced from overseas, and the orders of the court are rendered obsolete in minutes.

But when a suppression order is properly used, any breach MUST be prosecuted

This week, a large number - I am told 70 - media outlets and journalists across Australia and some overseas - including sadly one ABC programme - have been asked to show cause why they ought not be proceeded against for a clear breach of a suppression order from one of our courts. Editors and publishers as well as journalists could well go to gaol. This mass prosecution could lead to a test of the powers of the courts in the digital age, to control the flow of information that can interfere with the administration of justice.

Judge alone trials - instead of juries - in publicity sensitive matters are part of the answer and must be adopted urgently

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

“A little research” is now googling “Paladin Group”, visiting a wikipedia page and looking at the first reference.

That’s how you become a doctor ladies and gentlemen.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
All that needed was blackface and it would have been perfect.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
https://twitter.com/rharris334/stat...216-p50y92.html

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You Am I posted:

Victoria will save this lovely nation

We will vote progressive as NSW and QLD go right wing as gently caress

God Bless Victoria. God Bless Dandrews

God bless living in a Victorian marginal electorate.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
For anyone interested in learning more about the coal industry I highly recommend listening to an NPR podcast, “Embedded” that did a series on coal a while ago:

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510311/embedded

It’s from a US perspective, but the themes feel very familiar. They talk a (tiny) bit about Australia as a competitor.

Automation is something that I’m wrestling with at the moment as it’s increasingly a part of what I do. I continue to meet a steady stream of idiots banking the benefits of making people redundant not realising they will be next. BPOs were disruptive, but it often showed that people were just not using their skills and experience to best effect and could adapt.

Now, whatever industry you’re in automation just puts you in the blacksmith category. It’s so far been mostly clinical, but it does feel that a pivot to really consider the impacts is slowly happening in some areas. As people have stated mass redeployment is a loving nightmare and expect thousands to be thrown on the scrap heap.

I suppose the only positive is that there may be time for debate as a number of technologies and applications have just not being unleashed. Companies are cautious of the corporate creepy line and fear brand damage - think driverless Volvos crashing in San Fran.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 18, 2019

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
loving thread needs an hourly update like a bathurst broadcast. highlight the stacks and any other occasionally interesting bits

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

well, never going to get that week back

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Government is coming down hard on the comedy circuit...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-20/david-icke-banned-from-entering-australia/10830064

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Senor Tron posted:

Cory only takes the best people.

That is a loving disgrace.

No way some people will get through all of those by that best before date.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

snoremac posted:

Hmm glad we have that F35 so the big boys can’t push us around.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Well, I'd asked for Bathurst style thread updates only to drop in and find everyone talking about cars.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Konomex posted:

Surely a series of self driving pod cars that can connect up to a bus-hub thing would be infinitely more useful than everyone having one or even multiple cars? Summon your pod or book the time it should arrive (subscription service perhaps, rather than publicly owned if that'll shut the neolibs up?), it makes its way to the main arterial road and hooks up to a bus which carries it at high speeds down the road. When you're close to your exit your pod splits off, picks up its own power and takes you to where you needed to go. They can be totally electrical, and the batteries could be switch in/switch out like the original electric buses. They'll swap out a battery from the bus.

I'm not saying we should do that, but there's certainly many more options then burn all cars, cars are a required evil, and lets just do public buses and trains. European countries are swapping to electric vehicles, we might as well get on board that wagon, and when the self driving vehicle concept proves itself safer than human drivers, ban all human drivers.

- The Secret Diary of Elon Musk

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
public and private transport discomfort? just rub a little bullet train on it.

totally support the principle of better PT, but if you’ve ever zapped around Japan for a while you would see the challenges...

massive infrastructure gap - not only for the fast trains but the rail integration around it
patronage it obviously needs to make it worth it
social acceptance to invent endless ‘make work’ jobs to call it a job creator

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Entitled Millennials have been given an “inflated” sense of self-importance due to social media and are no longer willing to do unpaid work to advance their careers.

That’s the view of Muffin Break general manager Natalie Brennan, who says the precipitous decline in eager young university students and graduates started “about 10 years ago”....

ur a loving idiot and you sell poo poo food and worse coffee. this mindset is as ingrained at the mouse poo poo on her floors.

it's amazing what interns and grads achieve when, y'know - you don't treat them like crap.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Tasmantor posted:

Is this going to actually help sink the people standing by Pell or is Australia far enough gone to just let it all slide?

I get a feeling that it's going to be consigned to the collective too hard basket regardless of the appeal outcome.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Over a thousand people died in a small war in 1999, including some planes being shot down There have been skirmishes and smaller conflicts since then.

It's bad though.

There's an election coming up in India. It will be zany as always, but it could also be close.

What better way that to prop up a Government's popularity with a bit of bombing action and the sexy appeal of a khaki election! Not quite sure being aircraft being shot down was a part of the script.

There's also a good bit of meta at play. When Khan was sworn in a while ago he made some big statements about wanting to work with India to get to more peaceful times. Modi has been ratcheting up the rhetoric on insurgent groups based in Pakistan for months to get him to back track on that and lose face ever since - ace.

Of course Pakistan are always going to have trouble evidencing that they are doing everything they can to stamp out the outlawed Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist group (yes I googled the name) which is what this is about apparently, but maaaaybe not quite enough.

I'd expect lots of shells being lobbed and small arms fire coming out of the wazoo but probably nothing else just yet as India will want their pilot back and don't have a brilliant way to get past Pakistan's SAMs.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The betoota advocate has been on fire lately

Hell yes. Not like they are struggling to find good material to work with though. Nice to see them coming out hard on Pell & Co. - although they are not always entirely on script.

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/see-ya-later-oval office/

No real satire there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Don Dongington posted:

Abbott is losing his seat to an Olympic gold medalist.

Bronze.