Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Oh hey I didn't notice that one of my favorite threads in all of SA got rebooted for the new year. And it's in TFR for a while, hooray!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do transfers vary in cost by region? I've got a kitchen table FFL in my area that only charges $15 because he wants to see neat guns and meet interesting people.

Yeah, they vary big time. I'd say the average around me is $35 or more. Also, some SOTs charge ridiculous fees to transfer NFA items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

:piss:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
$350 shoes that can be bricked by a software update?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/02/my-left-shoe-wont-even-reboot-faulty-app-bricks-nike-smart-sneakers/

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

Doing a trade in lets you reduce the taxable sales price on your new vehicle by the value of the trade in, so that is also something to consider.

This is not true in all states.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nocheez posted:

Does that include the cost of transferring the license, which is like $10g IIRC?

A tax stamp is $200.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Bought a salon for $80k, old owner opens up salon across the block and is taking all the old customers

Props to the former owner for completely destroying this person. jesus christ.

Amazing

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

hey gently caress you buddy

This is the best post in this thread in a while

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Tax implications of an 8 digit gift?

:perfect:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

the crenellation.

The defenestration?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

A niche case, but the majority of people I know who've had a security clearance are in the habit of wearing watches.

Yup

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn’t that phrase substantially predate GoT? I’m pretty sure I’ve been hearing it for 20 years at least.

Maybe it's my memory being weird but I remember my mom saying it before the GoT books existed.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A good sword will pay for itself in tang

Boooooo

I can't decide if I love or hate this pun

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

:stare:

This is insane to me. Imagine how much they'd have to outperform the market to beat the fees. I can't imagine what the yearly meeting they have with their customers must be like, when they compare how they did versus how the market did.

Back when I was a cop about 15 years ago, I had an EJ employee file a report when he received death threats from an irate customer for what the customer perceived as churning his account for exorbitant fees.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

So did you arrest him?

The EJ employee, that is.

No, but I did tell the customer how to file a regulatory complaint.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Around here they just seize your car and license at roadside for numbers like that, with up to a $10K fine.

Lol around here you go to jail.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

For sale: Ghost town, selvedge title

You are too good at this

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Stay safe poverty ghost town

oh goddammit

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

My 'been on the internet too long' senses are tingling.

If that cartoon dude is based off Sinfest like I think it is, it never had a chance of aging well.

Glad I'm not the only one who has always been reminded of Sinfest by that mascot

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Volmarias posted:

E: Jesus gently caress that's right, Netflix gave THEM The Three Body Problem, what the actual gently caress were they thinking.

:catstare:

I had not heard that but what the hell

https://fortune.com/2021/01/27/netflix-three-body-problem-death-poisoning-china/

"Netflix decided, after seeing the end of GOT, that D&D were the guys to do Three Body Problem" is actually the least crazy part of that

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've heard of people who can't walk on a school's premises but that's the first time I've heard of someone whose not allowed in a bank.

It's probably less "not allowed in there" and more "closed an account with a negative balance". Wait until he finds out he's on the poo poo list for all banks and not just that small town one.

It could also be something as simple as "caused a scene and the branch manager called the cops and issued them a trespassing warning"

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

kaschei posted:

I don't think any of those is even GoT original, although clearly the show made them much more common.

And GGGC's trap is sprung

It's been a while since we had this derail I guess

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Mazel!

Also,

therobit posted:

As a father, all I can say is, “And the Bad With Money was coming from INSIDE THE THREAD!!!!!”

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Haifisch posted:

When I opened my first bank account in college, they gave me a $1000 LoC along with it. As a college student. Who worked maybe 10 hours a week for min wage. I don't think I had anything contributing to a credit score yet other than my student loans existing.

I also got a checking account LOC as a college student, it was for at least $2-3k. I drew out like $1500 or so to help buy my first motorcycle. (Limited BWM as I paid it back in 1 or 2 months) I doubt I had any credit back then.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

But the fees can't be more than the marginal cost of dry cleaning a pair of pants?

Maybe he clocked you as a potential excellent customer and did this as a loss leader.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

senrath posted:

Virginia has a weird one where you can claim anonymously but only if the prize is over $10 million. $10 million or less, tough poo poo, everyone knows your name, face, and hometown.

And that law is only a year or so old, before that it was tough poo poo for everyone.

Ive wondered how that works for games like "Cash 4 Life." Do they have an actuarial table they refer to do determine if, on average, your prize will be worth $10M or more?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Heffer posted:

What does Casio F-91W mean?

Enjoy your time in Gitmo

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warhammer 401k

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Googled his company and found this:
https://www.benzinga.com/markets/cryptocurrency/21/09/23044041/exclusive-how-bloot-is-taking-a-unique-approach-to-the-nft-markets

quote:

The rest of the team seemed to think there was a parody aspect to the project, highlighted by the project description on OpenSea: "It's basically worthless."

:hmmyes:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
:five:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

JnnyThndrs posted:

I always though you had to PAY 10% in order for the bondsman to take the risk for the other 90%. Luckily I never had to find out personally.

Correct, at least in my state. You pay the 10% up front to the bondsman and it's gone forever even if you show up for all court appearances.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn't the whole point of a bail bond that you're only liable for 10% or so of the bail instead of the full amount? Like isn't what happened the risk the bail bondsman signed up for?

A bail bondsman is a licensed professional. This is just an idiot who cosigned the bond agreement because the arrestee didn't have the resources or didn't want to put up their own resources to post bail.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Pittsburgh weddings with cookie tables are where it's at.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-guy who was appealing his security clearance denial, and in addition to his financial woes the court looked at how when he was upset with his wife he had spent extensive time digging "practice graves"

I was just looking for that denial report a few days ago to show to a friend, they've redesigned the site and I couldn't find it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

I was once used as a former coworker's reference for their security clearance. There were a few times at house parties and after work when some folks in our office were smoking some weed (which was legal in DC). This guy was very insistent that he never smoke it, because "I might want to get a security clearance one day."

During the interview, I considered telling the investigator that anecdote, to show that the guy was very intentionally on the straight-and-narrow. Then I was worried that if I told the guy, it might look bad for him because of the folks he was hanging around (even though we only hung out because we knew each other from work). So I ended up just keeping my trap shut. The guy got his clearance, and is apparently doing very well pulling in figgies as a DBA for some military contractor.

They would not have cared.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I found the original link and it’s 404ed but here’s the relevant part:

His clearance got approved on appeal, I think he had gotten help he needed and was in a better state.

Thanks!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is how I used to spend a good portion of DEFCON back when I actually bothered to go. I can only take so much exposure to utilikilts and mohawks before I need a stiff drink.

I came so close to buying a utilikilt 20 years ago. I'm so very, very glad that I didn't.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

The only people I see with MBA in their email signature are one-up-from-entry level clinical research associates who obviously believe the sales pitch from the business schools. Total waste of money for them.

I doubt there's any seniority level in pharma where a MBA makes sense. Looking at the C-levels for my company only the CFO has a MBA.

I have a MBA from a good but not absolute top tier school, and absolute LMFAO at any moron who puts that "credential" in an email signature.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

moana posted:

Just have them learn the harp, ain't nobody knows harp. I actually had a kid do this to get into the Ivy she wanted.

Legit think some of my high school band mates 20 years ago who played bassoon or oboe had parents thinking about things the same way

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Maybe if I come in 90% under on my expense report, senpai will finally notice me!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, there's a reason that the pension calculation for feds doesn't include overtime...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

isn't this how the movie Dead Man starts?

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciated this reference, Scratch Monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Everyone I know that had LASIK in the past has had to start wearing readers after 10 years or so and some have had to start wearing glasses again. Some have started getting halos around lights at night.

This is me. I kinda wish I had not done it, but don't feel like it was a huge mistake or anything.