Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
We haven’t been first world since austerity was implemented in 2010.

Part of how Boris won the election was somehow convincing large parts of England that the reason the country is just so utterly poo poo was Labour meddling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

So what's going to happen to scotland? One guy I was speaking to (a racist, pro trump free market capitalist boomer/Gen x type) said it worked like this: They voted to stay with the UK. Now that the UK is leaving they're stuck with that and have to stick with the UK (even though scotland on its own wanted to stay with the EU). This logic is laughably inconsistent and dumb and in character for the guy.

But can scotland jump ship back to the EU? And will the EU welcome them back?

It’s interesting how those sorts are always gleeful that Scotland is stuck with us. Like they know it’s bad for Scotland. Like they know it’s a sinking ship.

Outrail posted:

Where does Wales, Cornwell, Northern Ireland and Real Ireland stand if Scotland decides to gently caress off or get hosed up?

Wales isn’t going anywhere. Reasons range from a depressed despondant populace to the more controversial such as there’s just too many old English retirees here now who just want wales to be England with cheap housing. Also everyone with drive leaves quickly. Cardiff might retain some talent but the rest of here is a wasteland of the old or sick.

I guess Wales is like an entire country of those dying American towns you see on tv. The ones where everyone is always leaving and everything slowly closes.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Feb 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tote up a bags posted:

I'm British (sorry) but I live in another country that speaks a different language. I have done so for about 10 years.

First thing i'd drop if I ever got out of this place was the notion of being British. I couldn't drop that identity fast enough. Like I wouldn't be able to stop people labeling me but gently caress if I'd ever think about this shithole ever again.

Outrail posted:

Whats the possibility we something like below? Coz that would we make me so happy.

:scotland:: Were leavin ya!
:britain:: No. Not unless you declare independence, and then you've got a civil war on your hands!
:scotland:: Yeah we just joined the EU, so feel free to declare war on Europe ya gits!
:britain::Erm, hangon a tick.

None. When has international politics ever happened like that? I'm pretty sure the EU just poaching a bit of the UK would be an act of war. Does that seem likely?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

Honestly I'm more talking about posturing to discourage the English from trying anything dumb.

But yes, first it needs the US to declare support for the independence referendum, which within-US is pride vs business interests, which is why it would be a huge gamble.

England being about to 'try something dumb' implies it has the ability to do so. This is a weird fantasy that I think is aimed at giving excuses to twist the knife. You don't really need an excuse tbh. Do what you will.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

They're right but lol at the reason being not giving them a second referendum. What about all the other poo poo?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

the idea of smart-rear end UK kids in High School being like “what? we were the largest imperial colonizers in human history and owned 25% of the planet and now were just a loving mudskip away from total economic collapse, LMAO, yeah right you tosser!” or whatever the gently caress young brits talk like is very funny to me, the same way it was when the very smart and extremely woke kids at my high school kept interrupting our lessons on the Industrial revolution with questions like “but where was all the cotton coming from?” “why was everyone so eager to do trade with the American South” until the school swapped her into AP history so she wouldn’t corrupt the dumb-dumbs.

People who've grown up in the last two decades won't need much convincing that the country is collapsing. That we were once a giant murder empire, yeah that bit might confuse them. Mainly because they won't understand how as they've only ever known a country with 3 ships and 20 underequipped squaddies.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

The membership have already established themselves as clowns. First they bounce the leadership into backing a 2nd referendum that handed an election to the Tories, and now that's blown up in our faces they're going to follow it up by electing the 'unifier' candidate backed by Progress & Labour First and voluntarily driving the grassroots left extinct. At this point we're a worse failcountry than the loving US

Yeah the complete capitulation of the membership was something I didn't expect to happen. Then Corbyn lost and it all went so very quiet. And it still is. The left died that day. Utterly destroyed. The only thing I can think of is that people psyched themselves up maybe a bit too hard?

Mackers posted:

There was a time to "avert disaster" when it comes to the English and lol it was a lot longer ago than brexit

Do go on.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think part of the problem is there was little reason to understand the forces of brexit. Slightly more than half the country is irredeemably stupid. What can you do with that? Like what could anyone do if they did comprehend the scale of the problem? There is no reasoning with them much like there's no reasoning with a hard core trump supporter. You just have to try and live around them.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

Maybe he is, how would we know?

Corbyn exists in the same way the British left currently exists. Both were banished to the shadow realm.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

comedyblissoption posted:

lol that ukers appear to be far more gullible for their domestic press propaganda

I thought this was well known. Our press is all powerful and has destroyed the country. Our 'culture' is whatever the media decides it is that day. There's no real continuity unless they want there to be.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

sorry quick question. i haven't read up on anything about boris since he left the hospital after being treated for covid. is he completely 100% healthy again?

He was healthy 1 week after he was 'nearly dead' in the ICU.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jarf posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1293428127201361920

You've tried Austerity, now prepare yourselves for Austerity²
Conservatives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl1N_5wIokY

So they knew this was coming and that was why the virus was suddenly 'not a big deal' and we had to all go out and shop to save the country. But of course it didn't work. So more people are dead, the virus is spiking in every other town and we went into a recession they've known had to happen anyway.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
When I decided to gently caress up my life with chronic underachieving I didn't think I was going to live in a failed state. I have some regrets.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's time, in october, to 'get ready' for no deal brexit.

How do you prepare? Be rich and/or able to leave the country.

Anyone else thinking about the local neighborhood and noting which houses would be easiest to raid?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's the price we pay for our good looks and cooking ability

thinking about those pork pie export sales

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Also the implication that there is financial and mental health support if you don't lockdown.

Oh yeah we're swimming in financials and mental healths now. Financials... all over the shop.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'm picking which wood or cave i'm going to live in but i'm wondering how to defend it. I'm too much of a dork to know how to get a gun. So far on my list I have hammers underlined 3 times.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

pdog posted:

the north has its fair share of cunts too, I don’t know why people pretend it doesn’t.

the truth is that this entire cursed isle deserves to be bathed in nuclear hellfire

Maybe just you. We'll see how it goes from there.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Judakel posted:

personally, i cannot wait for britain to suffer

Me, a good leftist: i love when the plebs suffer and the rich people win lol nothing matters tnrp!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CredulousAtBest posted:

gotta say i never imagined you guys just" turn over, do the expose your bellies in submission thing"

loving pathetic

i had better opinions of you then that and now i feel like a fool

strong opposition you are. loving cretins

Ok my guess is Mackers

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Well if anyone has a box of guns and maybe a tank we could try something. I'll ask around.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jarf posted:

None. Government and all media are corrupted by the insanely wealthy psychopaths who will never accept a single down tick in profits.

It’s not up to them. If the MP’s wanted they could split whenever they want. Either they don’t have the will or they don’t think the time is right. Labour is done though, that’s correct. And yeah any new leftist party is gonna get attacked hard but they can’t actually stop the creation of one.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's the downside of being earnest and sincere.

The expectation is people generally don't want to be disliked. When you get broken people like pissflaps it goes to poo poo because he was some kind of negative-attention demon. An unstoppable force that wanted people to figuratively and literally throw him down a piss well.

Then it turned out he was a genuine transphobe and it was less funny.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
That man has done more for leftist causes than you'll ever do

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dravs posted:

I've been playing a lot of rear end Creed and I am pretty sure the country would be better off at the moment if it devolved back into Wessex, Murcia, East Anglia and Northumberland.

Brexit gonna put living standards back to the Iron Age anyway.

Why stop there? It never recovered from the Saxon invasion. Really everything is the fault of Germans and Frenchmans. Norsemans were fine because their bad decisions would only last until someone killed them and set their holdings on fire.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

apparently the old think the bbc is full of leftists, the young think the bbc is full of bad faith right wingers whereas in reality the bbc is actually full of liberals

It's openly full of Tories but I don't really get where that puts them on a US scale. Personally I'd say they are further right than the democrats.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's not so much compunctions as massive systemic contradictions and general feelings of unhappiness.

Let the UK be a warning to the rest of the west. We just speed-ran what is going to happen to the rest of you in the decades to come unless things start mattering again.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jarf posted:

Holy gently caress just stop Brexit already why are we trying to kill ourselves?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Because certain groups are going to make a lot of money

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
There is a silver lining: The British diet will be in alignment with what the rest of the world thinks we eat for the first time since rationing ended

Mainly because rationing isn't ended anymore

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Some experts think it's irresponsible but none of them are mentioning that the Royal navy would cease to exist 5 minutes into a shooting war with the entire EU fleet. Then I guess we nuke Paris and they nuke London.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
good job we're all wealthy and have been in a period of economic prosperity for the last decade or this would be really bad

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

i'm glad that everyone who works for the newspapers responsible for this are also going to be hosed over by it

That's optimistic after this many years of just the worst people getting their own way

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

redleader posted:

i wonder how fast the entire population of the uk can strip-mine all potentially nutritious plants from their cursèd isle

Well I imagine a lot of people are going to die so not that fast. Luckily.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Judakel posted:

i hope the deal is so bad that you idiots have frenchmen fishing in ponds as deep inland as shiresummerset or lancasterhobbitlet

Weird how you never target the architects of Brexit and always fantasise about how much the working class is going to suffer.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

Northern Ireland or Scotland first?

Once those go, how far behind is Wales?

The situation in Wales is complicated. In that it’s full of retired Tory voting English pensioners. So it could just be political apathy or it could be the very real attempts to make Wales ‘England but with cheap houses’. It doesn’t help that the Welsh government is terrible and embarrassing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

make british posters pay a tariff for every post they make outside of this thread

This thread is mainly Americans. Trap us in the UKMT please.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
jesus christ

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kaveman posted:

Is your username a joke?

It's cool, he's internalized the entire phenomenon his av is referencing. He is now a 'useless piece of poo poo' type leftist. Ever depressed, ever trying to dodge whatever 'traps' the other side has set up, ever defeated.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

lol i actually didn't know that

It’s our one good food but it’s only sort of ours?? I dunno

Ugh gently caress everything in that list apart from the tikka and crumpets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

realistically, nothing real is going to get done and we really need to start preparing seriously for the coming deluge

taking that as excuse to just give up and accept likely nuclear war +actual megadeath just seems ridiculous though

Things have been getting done. Just way too slow. Carbon peaked in the west years ago and has been slowly falling. It’s rising fast in China, India and everywhere else in the ‘developing world’. All of them, quite reasonably, aren’t eager to curtail their own economic growth just because the west is now worried after 200 years of callous excess. China does seem to give a poo poo, or at least is saying they do and wants to cap at somewhere between 2025-2030. Probably still too slow.

The old 1.5 c rise by 2100 is dead. 2.0-2.5 is the new ‘achievable’ target. Possible yes, likely? Maybe but everything could be lost every American election cycle. Just one insane republican that just expands carbon emitting industries and it’s over. How the gently caress you try to tackle climate change when one of the biggest historical emitters might just go loving bananas every 4 years seems like a nigh impossible task. But you have to try and things are changing. Tiny incremental things. That should have happened decades ago.