Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Residency Evil posted:

Not sure if this is the trainer thread, but it looks like the Zwift hub is finally available/for sale.
Snagged one this morning to try and rebuild my cycling life over winter.

Reviews are saying it does everything you expect, though accuracy on the power meter might be off by a few. I can live with that, especially considering the price.

Apparently they were sold out before the in stock emails went out, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

w4ddl3d33 posted:

can i be a little baby in here for a second? i'm 20, i just learned to ride a bike last week, and today not only did i do my first 10 mile cycle, i also bought my very own bike so i don't have to borrow one anymore. this poo poo goes so hard
:hf:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Even if it's an option, are you really going to be going outside much? A direct drive trainer is compact and only takes a minute to set up. With the right cassette, it's simply a matter of putting the trainer down and plopping the bike on top.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Where do you guys find and/or discuss upcoming event rides?

I've got a bunch that I want to train for over the next 3 years, which seems extreme but I don't think it's viable to train from essentially 0 to some of these events (Salida76, an 80% gravel 7k climb starting at 7k elevation in a 76mi ride) in a single year. Hell, my biggest climb when I was "in shape" (years ago) was only 4k feet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

bicievino posted:

Not sure exactly what you mean - do you mean finding the actual events, or just having a place to talk about how to train for them, prepare, etc?

If the former - I tend to rely on word of mouth. I realize that's not super helpful, but if you don't have people telling you about bike stuff 24/7 already you could go to a bike shop and ask about things there.

If the latter - if you've got a route map for an event I bet folks here would be happy to post at you about what you can do to train for it.
All of the above. Like I said, I've picked out a variety of rides to train for, but I'm just getting (back) into riding and the Zwift hilly route 5.7mi kicked my rear end this morning. The girls are achievable, I guess I'm just looking for a more lively discussion oriented towards events.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

Is the Salida event in CO? What’s the 7k climb?
Yes, CO.
https://www.salida76.com/
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38495510

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 11, 2022

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

Ah 7k total over the whole day. 7k continuously is not common out here. Beautiful area and I bet that’s a fun ride.
7k as a single climb would be literally insane.

Bud Manstrong posted:

I’ve ridden a bit of that, though I haven’t been that far north on those roads. The initial climb out of Salida is indeed a rough one, then those roads just kind of roll. It’s a really beautiful area that most people haven’t seen unless they’ve ridden that portion of the Divide route. I would bring a pretty good climbing gear.

For discussion, you might find other people planning to ride it on the Colorado Gravel Grinders group on FB.
I'll look into that fb group.

The plan is FoCo fondo (33mi) + tour of the moon (45'ish) for 2023, then longer FoCo and the shorter Salida (76km instead of miles) for '24, then FoCo 100mi and the full Salida for '25. Salida before I turn 40 would be the main goal. FoCo would be for fun. Would probably throw steamboat gravel in there at some point, and mix in some other events. Could probably get there quicker, but this meets my goals and will keep me interested for longer.

Wife isn't a cyclist really, but we're getting her a treadmill so she can train towards a half marathon (for late '23 probably). We've both put on significant weight since settling down and want to get back in shape.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 11, 2022

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Anywhere on the front range up to the top of RMNP is exactly 7k (ignoring the soft bit past Estes Park town)

Y'all are scaring me with how easily you are coming up with examples.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gravel is a huge range, and a big reason why a lot of gravel bikes are available in both 1x and 2x. Depends on what you plan to ride.

1x is better for downhill/single-track where your chain is bouncing around more. 2x gives you wider range and smaller gaps, but more potential for the chain to drop if it bounces around enough.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 19, 2022

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

For some reason I find myself yearning for GRX Di2 with a 32/50 crank and a 11-36 cassette, but that might be too extreme. Current GRX is at 17 tooth delta on the crank and that's already 1 more than their road cranks. Even if they had to lock out the cross situation (which you'd never use anyway, and should be easy with Di2) it'd be amazing of a range.

That dream (or close enough) might stop me from buying a nice bike until next gen GRX comes out. It could be also be impractically steep of a low range.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

One day, f500, one day.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Is it weird that what I want in a bike right now is a Canyon Grail with a normal cockpit and a road (Ultegra 12s di2) group set?

GRX is behind the times but getting updated and I don't want it until it does and adding a Grizl 12s di2 would be nice at not SLX prices), but the Endurace doesn't have quite enough tire clearance.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

At that cost I'll live with 32mm wide max tires and another nice carbon bike's worth of cash in my pocket.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Crumps Brother posted:

RAGBRAI announced the overnight towns over the weekend. I'm pretty excited because although I wasn't able to ride last year I'll actually be around the area this time. Looks like currently I'll bet riding on Wednesday for the Ames to DSM leg. Depending on the route details I wonder if I could swing Thursday as well. Only time will tell, I guess.

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm signed up for the week! Super excited as well

July in Iowa. Yeah that'll be fun.

Might try to ride that section too, though I expect it'll be the heaviest day due to proximity and distance.

I think that's FoCo Fondo weekend too. Might have to think about that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dema posted:

I'm doing FoCo Fondo as part of https://www.coloradosummerofgravel.com/

Also got into SBT GRVL again but it doesn't look like I can make it. Have a conflict. Sad.
Not local but looking to move there at... Some point. So I was interested in riding it. Next year, probably. Lots of events already scheduled.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dema posted:

Not a massive fan of the dual sided pedals. Don't they default to the platform being up? So you have to spin them around with your toe to clip in? Or is it the other way around? I had them for a minute, way back in the day, and I ditched them pretty quickly.
I had dual sided on mine and did just fine. If it's upside down you just give it a nudge on your way in. Works fine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Any FoCco riders around? I'll be in town for lunch tomorrow and wouldn't mind picking some locals' brains.

EvilJoven posted:

EDIT: as for only eating 'real food' on a long ride for the love of Christ don't stop for sweet potato fries half way through a long ride on a hot day if you aren't going to give yourself time to digest it some.
I used to bring leftover pizza (a long with other stuffs) with me on long rides. Not recommended, but plenty of calories to ride on.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Exactly. The rides I mentioned above were go at my own pace casual get the mileage in fun rides. I could stop and enjoy without any issues. And the idea of paying the prices they ask for gels was terrible.

And having driven it last night, Highway 34 west of Loveland seems like a challenging but do-able ride once I get trained up. Although the altitude is killer when I currently live at 1200'. Loveland is 5k and Estes is around 7500. Would just take training and acclimation.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I totally get that it works well for more serious riders, especially when fuel-to-weight ratio is important, but that's not me. I don't mind carrying more stuff to maintain some semblance of my now-normal eating routine.
Pretty much. Gels are great when you are the guy paying hundreds of dollars to shave 300 grams off your bike, but being someone who carries around many many extra pounds right now, having the weight of real food doesn't bother me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dema posted:

It's Lookout. I've done Lookout... 11 times this year. A little windy today, but there were tons of other people out there.
Lookout?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

With modern wheels and well aligned disc brakes it takes 30 seconds to swap wheels. That's my plan when I get a new gravel bike. Slicks and gravel wheels for each purpose.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Likely not close nor fast enough. I think there's a huge disparity of rider performance levels on this forum and people lose sight of that a lot.
I used to go out and do metric just because it was Saturday. Now I couldn't ride a half metric full stop. It's not just between riders.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anyone have thoughts on frame vs frame for the giant Revolt advanced vs the canyon Grizl? Giant seems to have the seat tube stop a lot lower than the canyon, but otherwise fairly similar. Flip chip is an interesting concept, even if I doubt I'd change it much.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Unless I am getting off the bike I see no reason to unclip both feet. But I also never had an issue unclipping and my one fall due to clipless was a brain fart on dirt at least.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My biggest complaint with Zwift is that, to me, it doesn't feel like the pedals/gears are actually connected to the speed displayed. X rpm x Y gear should= Z mph (minimum). Instead it feels like resistance is connected to gradient with a very loose spring and speed isn't connected to anything.

Basically if I go from flat to hill but maintain the same gearing and cadence my effort required should go up but speed shouldn't drop in half and it feels like it does for no reason.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

Tbh, I have no idea what he’s describing because my KICKR doesn’t feel this way. Maybe after dozens of hours on the thing my brain is broken. If I keep power steady and the road gets steeper/resistance goes up I go slower. Is that’s not what’s supposed to happen?
I'm talking about increasing power to maintain the same cadence/gear and still drastically slowing down.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

On a physical bike, your speed at a given gear is a function only of cadence (assuming the back wheel isn't slipping), as a certain number of pedal revolutions per minute is a fixed number of back wheel revolutions per minute (again, for a given gearing), and as the circumference of the back wheel is approximately fixed so is your speed.
Exactly. It's very frustrating.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

foutre posted:

Gorgeous! I clearly don't have the hang of aesthetic bike photos, but I went up some hills:

Where was the ride?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

For those doing ragbrai, what should I know if I just want to do the Ames to Des Moines day?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

It also matters if you mean avg moving speed or avg speed of advance or typical sustained speed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nwin posted:

Are camelbak podiums still the de facto water bottle?

vikingstrike posted:

I prefer Purist bottles. Ive also been wanting to try the Bivo bottles.
I've had a couple of those and they are fine. I prefer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WOEU9S for capacity as I drink a lot of water. Recently I bought one of the bivo metal bottles and love it.

no skateboarding EVER! posted:

Yep, like 95% of the time. Also if they have a dog, the dog just interprets it as some large wheeled person rapidly heading straight towards them and yelling aggressively.
I generally think of pedestrians as a moving obstacle course. And really, I don't care if you are on the left, right, center, 2 abreast, whatever. Just leave enough room for me to get by and no sudden unpredictable movements.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 15, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tildes posted:

Hm have people found that the smaller screen size is hard to adjust to for navigation to the point a bigger size feels worth it? The 840 does seem like a pretty good deal. It seems like the main difference between 540 and 840 is the touchscreen, and then between 840 and 1040 is mostly size (but 1040 is starting to feel excessive price wise). Plus a bit more storage with the 840 so you can store two regions it sounds like. Are there other differences people think would matter I am missing? A lot of these breakdowns are so detailed I sort of get a bit lost and I can’t figure out what I’d actually use.

E: also if anyone has thoughts on how to mount the garmin, curious there as well. Assume the stock one is probably good enough but if there’s a cooler or more integrated option I’m interested!
540 is buttons
840 is buttons and touchscreen
1040 is a big touchscreen

There might be other differences, but those are the biggest ones. They are all good options. The stock mount is fine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Heliosicle posted:

Huh those look great

OTOH, I have so many random bottles from events and things I'd feel dumb for buying any more
Yeah, but they really are neat and useful. 'Latch and suck' gets you a lot of water which is nice.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's insanely funny to me that this is a giant nerd website and we've got guys riding in 100+ mile one day races. What a world.
For a dead gay comedy website the skills/knowledge/success that winds up here is amazing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tacosupreme posted:

he cool new derailleur hanger technology
?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Garmin + Di2 question. Can you go back to a ride and see which gear you were in at any specific point or stats regarding percentage of time in each gear or the like?

I'm curious how much people actually use 50:11 or 52:11 or 52:12 gearing. And more specifically how much *I* would be using that extreme gearing. On my current bike I rarely get into that gearing, but don't know exactly how rarely.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can get stats if you have either the 12 speed or the EWU-111 wireless unit, and have the garmin connected to it. Plug the file into https://di2stats.com.

Aluminium's not safe for racks if you're putting any load on them, so steel is definitely real. (Titanium is something that doesn't rhyme but works similarly)
I'm waiting to upgrade my bike until 12s GRX finally gets released, so that would be fine.

I'm expecting to pick up a Canyon Grizl when it gets upgraded, but steel has been interesting to me too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Hutzpah posted:

A lot of what you and others have said makes total sense. I definitely went out way too fast at the start. It was cold, so I wanted to warm up, it was exciting passing some people on the first few climbs and I was just generally enjoying the route. I was probably biking at my standard 25ish mile pace. I had brought 2 bottles - one with sugar/electrolyte poo poo in it and the other plain. But, I put nowhere close to 100g of sugar in it. I used a single scoop of a spoon, so maybe 10g of sugar or so at most. Those bottles were all I had for the first 30ish miles, so I'm sure I was putting myself in a bad place after that.

Regarding stops/real food. Do you tend to just stop at designated rest stops? Or, do you plan periodic stops to eat something? My balance is so bad that I'd fall if I tried to eat while riding. I waved at a driver the other day who let me pass and almost crashed.

If my ride was in 3 parts it was: doing great, trudging along, and "oh god I'm going to die."

Live and learn I suppose. I have my first hundred-miler in 2 months.
If you are doing long(er) rides you need to work on your balance. You dont need to be able to do the whole thing without hands, or stand on your seat or that kind of silliness, but grabbing a snack bar, unwrapping, and eating shouldn't cause a crash.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

you can buy an aftermarket one and have it installed by almost any normal mechanic (especially if you're not going to bother with the brake light harness for a trailer with brake lights). or DIY it, it only takes an hour or two for most modern vehicles.
I put a receiver on my mustang in 2016. That wasn't too bad, besides the general lols of having a receiver on a mustang. Carried the bike around just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anyone used a jersey from https://globalcyclinggear.com/products/michigan-state-university-v2-mens-cycling-kit ?
Thinking about picking one up, but don't want to spend the cash on cheapy stuff. Not that school in particular, but that product.