Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

TheFluff posted:

gacha brain requires new op stuff to roll on with short intervals to keep skinner box stimuli going

playing a gacha game isn't about playing the actual game itself, it's about having the biggest collection of the most valuable waifu jpegs

I've been sort of following this games trajectory trying to get more of a handle on gacha brain and because it's free to play and it's hard not to notice this. Despite being pretty into JRPG's for decades now, I've never really been all that attracted to gacha games largely because I consider the lot of them to be mechanically similar re-skin type affairs of established popular franchises. I've tried FFRK whose extremely rare non-character based gacha system of instead making it about getting the characters better ultimate abilities has led me to stick with it. It also doesn't seem like it's constantly and aggressively pushing me to use it's gacha system every couple weeks with some new "must have" type thing. I've also tried Fire Emblem Heroes but it's constant turn over of and explicit gacha banner focus versus focus on actual map/challenge content led me to lose interest around the time the 3rd book came out despite playing every traditional Fire Emblem game to date and it being among my favorite video game franchises of all time.....it still just didn't do it for me. I prefer the traditional method of getting characters in FE games too and figure Heroes misses the point entirely.

I haven't really sunk terribly much time into this game at all despite downloading it several weeks ago cause like in my mind I actually REALLY need to see how things shake up first because of how Fire Emblem Heroes (I never spent a dime on this game I should mention as well and got every character I ever attempted to get, it just didn't do it for me on a game front and felt like there was never anything to do) went for me. I'm also playing other stuff and for me the compulsion to use it's gacha system let alone deep dive into it just isn't close to there yet, whereas for a lot of other people it's really hard not to notice how they just seem to buy right into the whole gacha hype banner thing and buzz surrounding this game without even really thinking about or questioning things. It's not even like I have anything against the whole battle waifu/husband design aesthetic thing, like again as a guy that's played JRPG stuff since high school and used to be pretty into anime stuff before trends shifted away from the things that I was into most such as science fiction, I'm pretty used to it all and I can at least understand the base aesthetic appeal of characters like Mona, Keqing or Zhong Li, but......the compulsion to just "roll like a bitch" as I've described the gacha brain mentality to my friends, or to even spend real world money on in game currency to do so just is not there.

I'm a pretty big Saori Hayami fan, her character Ayaka is coming out next in this game I believe.....compulsion just isn't there, though there's a chance that is when I take time to deep dive a bit more and try to see what happens with free in game currency and if I can end up with the character, and if I don't it's just like so be it, plenty of other "waifu" style characters out there in JRPG's voiced by this person, like there's a good chance I pick up any random game to play and she's in there somewhere after all. Like I frankly just don't get how it could be any other way, in fact this thread which I casually browsed on a whim to see what goons have to say about this game is one of the rare times I've actually seen somebody talk particularly much at all about game/character mechanics with the game. It's really REALLY hard not to notice that for how much various game blogs and news sites have tried to marry themselves to this game taking off (IMO mostly cause it's free to play, has already made x amount of dollars and is thus topical, and they actually tried something different with the game concept part of things for a F2P gacha monetization game beyond the bog standard turn based RPG format) they all BARELY say anything of consequence about it or the characters where it counts and like what you'd expect if somebody is supposedly into something enough to write about it.

It's like very few people have really thought about it much at all (possibly because realistically they don't give a poo poo beyond garnering clicks or bragging about their collection while it's a hot topic and thus aren't capable of giving insight to begin with, which on some level I admit kind of annoys me as comes across as disingenuous), and it's just whatever the big new shiny is happening with it it seems that carries the puddle deep discussion, which in this case that indeed there is now a new character in Zhong Li. Most discussion of the game just seems to me to start and stop at whatever it's developer Mihoyo is looking to promote and I guess with gacha brain that's enough to allow things to take hold enough for people to spend money on a character that it turns out may apparently be quite lackluster gameplay wise and not even measure up to the mechanics of the supposedly lesser tier characters that were accessible at launch. It's the kind of stuff that would be helpful to know or consider before hand instead of just rushing into trying to get the new shiny but it really did not seem to come up much. Again it's hard for me to rationalize how people could roll first and think later that buyers remorse even has to come into the equation at all. Like you who buys or even gambles on something without knowing the value of that thing on either a general or even personal level?

Anyway I've admittedly sort of lost my train of thought, the ultimate point is that despite understanding the base appeal of the character types in this game to anime/RPG type otaku I really just do not get the mentality surrounding these types of games where players and the coverage of them often seem to blindly rush into matters and take stock PR marketing type stuff at absolute face value straight up front. It's something that for the sake of sheer curiosity and from a behavioral studies stand point I wouldn't mind getting more of a handle on. Like for me some company/streamer/blog writer or whatever is just never going to dictate what I should do with a game that demands real world money be spent on a randomizer mechanic to try to unlock a character, which to is a mechanic that by default warrants far more scrutiny and analysis from people than the game has even come close to receiving.

Like is that all I can expect from the coverage or mainstream "discussion" of this game from here on out. Here's this new character that's going to be in the game this week, here's what they look like, here's when you can get them....that's all....why are you still here , go boot it up and do the thing.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

you get called a meta slave rear end in a top hat when you want to know what a character is good for before rolling on them.

As for those articles, they're written by template. There arent really any big sites trying to become the destination for genshin content which is a little weird tbh.

Sounds a lot like that taking a stand for willful ignorance factor that seems all the rage these days in social media/game type stuff. Like the situation where you actively get made fun of and/or insulted for trying to put even an ounce of thought into what you are doing/watching/playing instead of just shitposting memes or fanart and competing to see who can have the wildest most outrageous of takes.

And yeah it's pretty drat obvious with regard to those articles. I'm frankly not convinced they aren't just pre-written for them by company PR departments since they always seem to just be roughly the same thoughtless blurb ending with a reference linking back directly to a publisher or developers website to "learn more".

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is not a collectathon gacha game, the rates just aren't there. The best way to play this is entirely F2P and rolling with the characters you can pull, its more challenging that way and legitimately can be funner than having a unit completely trivialize something. If you do like the game and would have more options available your best bet is spending the extra 5 bucks. Combined with dailies and other freebies you can expect around 40 pulls a month, that aint bad gacha wise for 5 bucks, its just that the rates for this game suck

But even if the rates suck, the sparking system doesn't. The probability to get a 5* skyrockets at the 70s mark and the pity carrying over through banner means you dont ever need to horde excessively. They have a trial system that lets you test out the characters before you even roll on them and story quests that let you bring in your own party as well. It gives you a good feel for the unit and whether or not you want to go in on them. Thats genuinely better than most other gacha games.

I admittedly got to about the point or just after where you unlock the whole "wish system" and got a pretty good laugh at it how on the face of it needlessly convoluted and kind of bad it came across. Like for example the one gacha game that has ever really stuck with me in FFRK has two forms of currency that is pretty cut and dry. There's the in game mythril you get by winning battles or completing dailies as is standard and then there's the gems which you buy with real world currency and exchange directly and proportionally for pulls. 100 gems is equivalent to about 1 mythril. Then there was finding out about this games method which working back from the banner seems to have 2 mutually exclusive forms of currency in the event versus featured banners with intertwined versus acquaint fate. These I noticed after some befuddlement are acquired by exchanging the primogems you get for doing in game type challengs (standard practice and equivalent to the mythril in FFRK) at what appears to be a somewhat proportional rate (though 160 seems like an arbitrary number that must be based purely in some economical research to the benefit of the publisher), but of course cannot be used on opposing banners you need to consider carefully which to convert your primo gems to which is frankly just on it's face bad and only serves the publishers interest since obviously they're just gonna split the desirable characters from between the two types of fates.

THEN I noticed that the manner of acquiring primogems outside of doing in-game stuff which is obviously going to be limited is by exchanging Genesis Crystals which are bought with real world currency in bundles that are not even proportional to the 160 or 1600 primo gems needed to be exchanged for the acquaint fates (which again are exclusive to one another) to do a 1 or 10 pull and will leave you with left over ones that are basically useless until the next bundle purchase puts you in line again to exchange them for primogems. It's all super arbitrary and on the face of it bad to strictly benefit the publisher take and squeeze just a little bit extra out of people by compiling them to try to line it all up so they have as few leftover effectively useless genesis crystals as possible.

Such was my reaction to how insanely convoluted and non-proportional the exchange and currency system is for the game that I again had a pretty good laugh and figured that if I chose to continue playing the game that I would probably rarely see the wish menu as someone that intends to be full f2p and it killed even the 5% chance I might ever spend real money on the game. Not with that sort of system. And despite this immediate visceral reaction of basically laughing out loud at the economy system of the game it's another thing I have not seen come up at much if at all in news articles and discussion about the game and again like most games with a gacha system that aspect of things seems to just dominate the discussion about the game despite being on the face of it a pretty badly implemented one from a consumer perspective. I just don't get that either.

I do know about the whole "pity" system which is fairly rare, but the amount of hoops you seem to have to jump through in order to even exploit that doesn't strike me as explicitly worth it. Either you'd need to dedicate all your free time to min maxing your take on primo gems (I'm not sure how long you'd have to grind in order to exploit the something like 150K primo gems you'd need to exploit it as a F2P person but I figure the time would be well over a month) from the daily log in and in game challenge type hauls or you'd need to be a whale type player.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 3, 2020

Kale
May 14, 2010

YES bread posted:

the very simple answer to some of this is that a lot of players aren't super interested in unit mechanical strength beyond "are they functional," especially in an open-world type game where the core focus is just exploring and hitting buttons that make cool animations happen. not everyone was hype to roll for Zhongli because someone in beta might have said he was OP, a lot of them were because the character looks cool and they like him in the story etc. those people are shelling out for digital merch, not an abyss investment, and no amount of reddit posts about numbers is going to dissuade them because that is not their primary interest.

Again I totally get the "cool" factor well enough, but like to me I could play a given Tales game or any JRPG for that matter and there's probably some generically handsome character (maybe even with the same voice actor if you're into that sort of thing) with a story arc reasonably similar to Zhongli's in there that I could unlock simply by playing the game. That is my initial reaction to that sort of mentality.

Like it's not like these sorts of characters are explicitly rare commodities these days even though somehow it feels like the thinking that goes into "gacha brain" mentality treats them as if they are for whatever reason. The $70 or so dollar price (or $60 if your American) I'd pay to get a given 70-100+ hr RPG up front and unlock a character through the course of the game is probably far less than I'd have to play trying to get a character in this game (even though it's totally free to install and play otherwise) considering the cost of two 10 pulls in real world currency conversion seems pretty drat close to $70. Basically the only value return that is in my favor would be if I were to get a character I was aiming for in no less than 21 or so pulls otherwise I've effectively already overpaid at that point in a sense......at least from where I'm sitting.

To me if I'm going from a pure character aesthetics to value ratio outlook, then I'd rather just pay the $70 upfront and get the for sure thing I'm going to unlock through traditional methods as I play the game and not have to gamble to unlock a character and story arc. It's something I'll never get about the thinking and value assessments that go into these sorts of games. Like to me ANYTHING above the $70 dollar CAD mark spent on currencies used in trying to get a character will always just be overpaying and bad value because of how non-F2P JRPG games are priced in comparison.

Of course if your just playing this game totally 100% F2P and casually all of the above is inherently moot.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 3, 2020

Kale
May 14, 2010

Xalidur posted:

I like this game much better than Breath of the Wild to be honest. I've always preferred games where you control a party instead of just one character. And even Amber is cooler than Link.

Unless something significantly changes as i go forward its not even close to even the first few hours i spent with BoTW even if theres more story beats and quirky character stuff going on. The characters being more amusing at first glance than i was expecting is the main upside for me so far.

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

It's like breath of the wild except it looks better, the music is better, your weapons dont break, the pickups arent all completely pointless, combat is fun, there are characters in the story and cooking isnt a giant pain in the rear end.

I'll wait to judge completely until after I've explored more but so far on a point to point comparison with the first several hours of BoTW on the great plateau i just dont see or hear it on any point other than the weapons not breaking. The look and feel of how it contols just doesnt measure up in particular and there havent been any "wow" moment visual takes, but I've also heard that the Liyue Region is a substantial visual uptick. Though compared to the average mobile title its light years ahead on the gameplay right from the get go..... like totally different class of effort.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I feel like this is the best place to ask probably. What's the deal with Fireflies in this game? I know they're supposed to spawn at night and I need them to get luminscent cores to make some bombs for the event as well as some key items for gadgets but I swear after two months of playing the game I've managed to see and catch all of two, one of which was just an hour ago and blew my mind. Are they just exceedingly rare or spawn in very particular places or something? Like a lot of things about this game there seems to be a lot of speculative bad info out there for clickbait that hasn't helped me much at all in farming them. Apparently there might be some issue with them despawning on PS4 but again that could just as easily be more bad speculative info that I should disregard. Frankly I don't know after really trying at night and just wandering around seeing no fireflies. Anyone know any consistent method that has worked for them?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tarezax posted:

They seem to spawn in specific areas. I've gotten plenty just from happening across them while hunting crystalflies at the guyun domain cave.

Do they only spawn once an IRL day or is that more bad info? If not I'll try there between 10 and 2AM which I've heard are the proper times for them to spawn and see if I have any luck. It's been about the only thing I've had trouble farming though and I when I saw I needed them for the bombs for the event and for the gadgets like the treasure chest finding one I kind of let out a Sideshow Bob rake stepping groan ngl.

Also I made one of those supposed Anemoculus detecting gadgets and equipped it and then used it and it just seemed to eat the item permanently and do nothing. Am I missing something there? Is the treasure one permanent? I seem to be able to see any mining points in game now anywhere I go which I couldn't before a couple weeks ago and believe I made a gadget for that but can't entirely remember Talking about the stuff you get for Mondstadt reputation quests btw.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ardlen posted:

Are you using Ningguang? She shows you nearby mining points.

Oh that makes sense. Yeah I just recently got her, Diluc, Noelle and Sucrose out of 50 or so non-event pulls (first time I've really done one since I started playing) and that perfectly coincides with when the nodes started appearing on my mini-map. Guess it makes sense since precious gems are kind of her thing. Also might as well inquire now since I'm starting to get into that phase of the game but I primarily want to dump all of my artifact efforts into jacking her elemental mastery and Geo element damage if I want to get the most out of her right? No need to focus on atk or does that factor into her damage calculations too.

Diluc I assume I want to have both Atk and Elemental Mastery though right? I plan on trying to use him to clear that really annoying Dragonspine cave challenge with the 4 waves and 3 Cryo mages at the end that seems deliberately designed to aggravate the poo poo out of the player by freezing and dropping poo poo on them constantly. That one seems a little overtuned so not even touching it again until he and Xiangling hit level 60 with some solid artifacts and then I'll probably finally raise the world level above 3.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I initially figured the game's story would be basic baby poo poo on account of it starting out quite simply, and how Paimon exists just to say "Oh, Paimon gets it! What they're saying is [extremely dumbed down summation so stoned drunks and 9 year olds with ADHD can follow along, no judgment intended, I am often the stoned drunk]," but I just finished the main Liyue story arc and it had a lot of surprisingly twisty and intelligent stuff happening that touched on different and fully realized philosophies about duty, rule, commerce, the role of gods, etc with interesting political maneuvering to boot.

As the games gone on I've sort of noticed Paimon's character is that she's kind of a poo poo talker and not really all that bright so considering that's the character you spend most of the time around early in the game and really even just in general that's not all that surprising a take. It actually caught me off guard at the end of the Liyue arc where the MC finally grins and says some line about asking for help finding a missing person and realizing how awkward it was that he talked since 99.99% of conversions in the game involve talking to an NPC who gives you the scoop and having Paimon saying lots of crazy poo poo and being blown away by the course of the conversation.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 19, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Elemental Mastery only affects reactions and geo reactions don't do damage. Ningguang wants the standard dps stats of atk, crit%, and critdmg.

edit: also a geo damage cup

Okay that tracks a lot with the sorts of numbers I'm seeing thanks. I'd mainly been gearing her for elemental mastery so when I think back on some fights she'll be doing about 97 damage or so per regular attack but then when I get the crystallize effect it's like 300-400 or so. Feel like I've learned more about how some poo poo works in this game in the last 20 minutes or so then I have in the last month reading random poo poo around the internet. Like I said lots of bad useless info out there from people that don't seem to know what they're on about and just bandwagoning onto the popularity of the game.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Xun posted:

Yeah there's a toooon of bad info out there for genshin. I'm not even sure why lol

Like I said I'm almost certain it's cause it caught a lot of people off guard with just how popular it got and you suddenly have a lot of blog and gaming site writers who are total fish out of water for this sort of game scrambling to write "content" and capitalize on it and it just clogs up the searches and inquiries with a lot of speculative sensationalist crap coming from outfits like Game Rant (Just the absolute worst along with all Valnet media run websites which feel like they have articles churned out by algorithms) and purely clickbait journalism blogs.

Instead of just giving you good accurate info though they put out nonsensical sensationalized crap or just don't even bother to do proper checks for the methods they suggest because they can't be bothered and just want site traffic. It's not just a problem with this game but a lot of explosively popular stuff lately and because Valnet seems to pay google a lot of money to have their crap put to the top of youtube and google searches of just about anything you can search and also churn out so much crap that it seems to bend the algorithm towards their sites as well.

Then you have the independent influencers who also seemed to bandwagon onto doing "content" about the game but are just as fish out of water. Can't say the number of times I've looked to draw a bead on a character or ability and again they just kind of sensationalize everything they possibly can (this character is amazing, that ability is amazing, this thing is broken, that thing will do a bajillion damage, everything is loving absolutely amazing game changing so you should pull for all it and so on) so it doesn't help me much since while I've played my share of RPG's over the years, I don't know everything about how all the systems and that work in this game quite yet myself....just have enough common sense to know when I'm being bullshitted or misinformed.

I really REALLY hope something changes in the course of online popular media journalism and algorithms in general because like I said all of the above has really become a noticeable problem in Covid times in general.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 19, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

Danakir posted:

There's no hydro hypostasis (yet). If you mean the Oceanid then yes, she's a real pain. I'd definitely agree that she's the hardest of the normal bosses.

Yeah the first time I fought that thing I was a little under-leveled still for World 3 level by the time I first started worrying about bosses and it completely kicked my rear end since it has a lot more mechanics than any of the other regular bosses. Now I've got it down to a science with Fischl and Kaeya. I'll just say that Fischl is really loving good for that fight if you have her because she can shred those annoying flying birds with her charged arrows and Oz can really mess up the ground enemies and you can just move him around as you need to take full advantage of his AoE's too. Kaeya can freeze and do a little extra crowd control with the beefier ground stuff if it gets out of control and then I usually switch to Fischl when she has a burst ready so she can take advantage of superconduct and the guaranteed electromagnetic reactions to overwhelm any of the bullshit healing. At that point you mostly just have to watch out for the enemies exploding on you and insta-kill attacks.

Right now the Geo Hypostasis probably takes me the longest to get through cause of those pillars it hides above that only take significant damage to Geo, but since I got Ningguang and hopefully once I get Noelle up to speed it's become less and less of a problem. I kind of figure Noelle will ultimately be the ideal character for taking down the pillars quickly but she's nowhere near ready to take part in serious fights for me just yet.

Also at first I thought the Oceanid had that one does every single sexy MILF character ever voice actor in Japan that's been around forever and is in her like mid 50's or something but has the joke that she's eternally 17 years old, but apparently that's actually Alice from the most recent event, which as soon as I figured out what was going on with the Dodo-King I was like "yeah okay that makes sense".

e: Kikuko Inoue that's it, was blanking for a bit.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 19, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Hi, I'm actually qualified to give advice for once since I spent a few months grinding that boss exclusively so I could ascend every Geo character up to 5!

I'm pretty sure you're not planning on bringing her with you but still, don't bring Ningguang. She literally cannot do any damage to it because she does nothing but geo damage. If you're good at dodging the attacks- I fought it like 40 times, I know how they all work by heart now- you can just bring Noelle no matter how weak she is and just wail on the pillars to weaken them for when it teleports to it and then break it immediately. Also once again, Razor's burst takes out the last 3 it summons when you deplete it's health bar in one combo.

Alternatively, ask for help in the discord and watch it explode in 11.3 seconds.

Yeah this has strictly turned into a matter of until Noelle is ready to go since I expect to be just be able to hold attack and windmill them to death with Noelle. I just need her to ideally not die in the process since she currently has maybe 3,000 HP and since her abilities are tied to her HP it seems I just plan on pumping that up through the roof for her on artifacts.

Basically when I got the new 4 characters I chose to focus on Diluc since he's my first 5 star and Ningguang since she seems pretty good and I dig her whole vibe. I was actually kind of lamenting that I didn't have her after finishing the Liyue arc and got really really loving lucky on my acquaint fate pulls. I heard she's not exactly a common pull. It's also kind of weird that the de facto leader of the city and faction you team up with for that arc is a 4 star and her subordinates are 5 stars though and Jean is a 5 star while a good chunk of the subordinates are 4 stars. Like just character design and story role/lore wise she doesn't seem like the kind of character they'd have made a 4 star but what do I know.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 19, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

My interest in Ayaka is tentative and pretty much entirely contingent on whether she's fun to play and strong. I'd like a cool cryo sword character like her to kick some rear end with but I'm not super drawn to her design and I don't super understand the Ayaka hype other than her being in the beta I think, so if she's not especially good I will be fine skipping her.

She has a super popular Japanese VA (character almost seems deliberately created with her in mind) and was in the beta as well with some flashy movie so yeah. There's also the mobility thing.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 22, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

dogsicle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3UDf15r5qQ

ah...no...the shimazaki performance is good

i'm rolling, i'm rolling

Is every establishing Samurai/Ninja battle ever fought in the exact same clearing an autumn forest with a blood red moon shining directly overhead? One guy ambushed by several enemies so they can do an awesome 360 cut and take out everyone around them? If so how do people keep ending up there and do they expect not to be suddenly surrounded by enemies?

It's never the big battle, just the hero character establishing one. The big battle is usually fought at a historic looking giant castle that's on fire on a cliffside or possibly raised up off the ground by some demonic power.

Kale
May 14, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Getting caught up with the beach episode. Can't believe Lisa didn't pack any of the four boys swim trunks. What do they pay her for?

So what exactly ends this week and what stays? The story and minigames? The Barbara collecting thing says it's up for another 20-something days, so I imagine the islands themselves won't go poof just yet.

Noelle would probably pack the swim trunks and a couple weeks worth of boxed lunches for everyone. Lisa would probably just show up incidentally wearing the least modest possible swimming outfit under the pretense of studying some ruins to steal Jean's thunder and try to get the traveler's attention. I'm kind of surprised she didn't appear much at all after giving you some hints on how to find the drat islands.

It seems like it's just the mini games that go away this weekend but the exploration, treasure and quest stuff stays until some time into July. I just need to clear a few more of the camps now that I got some fireflies and bombs to play with. Thanks whoever it was again for the tip on going to Guyun Stone forest, I had to wait a bit but I got like 5 of them in less than a minute that way.

Kale
May 14, 2010

frajaq posted:

wow just saw that Kazuha teaser and something feels VERY VERY off from his voice

One of those Funimation guys trying a little too hard it seems like. I've never really played with anything but the Japanese language anyway so it always sounds a little off listening to the English trailer.

Also seeing the first signs of "Kazuha Iz Broken You Guys!" and "Should I/What You Should Know" clickbait type trailers which never fails. I wouldn't have such an issue if youtube algorithms didn't favor that kind of dreck over the actual official page with the 7 digit figure views per trailer when I search something like "Kazuha Genshin Impact".

e: After listening to the trailer it actually sounds more like a not trying hard enough or getting enough direction on what is happening in the scene type of situation. Sound like he got fed some lines at home and didn't have a trailer to go off of or something, just doesn't feel very organic. 100% you can tell he's not even aware of the lines Beidou's VA is even saying or what he's replying to let alone in the same general area doing the recording. Like 2 did their lines completely independently of one another with little context as to anything (is it an action scene for this line? A conversation for that one? who knows? :shrug: )and somebody put them together for the trailer.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 24, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Can we talk about what really matters? How cute Kazuha is?

Wonder if he's going to get a runback on his bro apparently getting offed by Baal or if it's going to be up to the traveler or something else happens entirely and things aren't entirely what they seem. Basically so far it sounds like it's all being based off of the actual Sakoku period of Japan where they went into Shogun decreed isolation from the rest of the world for a little over 2 centuries. Only the Shogun seems to also be the emperor and actually some sort of divine being instead of just claiming to be to make people obey her edicts.

I guess that makes us Matthew Perry in a manner of speaking.

Kale
May 14, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

It truly sucks so loving bad. It sucks so bad that "food that makes it suck slightly less" is the reward for a fairly difficult quest and I'm HYPED to have it. I don't know what they were thinking to have it suck so bad. Even after you ascent the mountain and free the nail that caused it all, the mechanic stays the same. Like at least cut it in half or something, fuckin hell.

For me it's not so much the deep freeze mechanic on it's own it's that the game seems to throw every annoying thing at you it possibly can for some of the quests and challenges. I'm not even touching that Starglow Cavern challenge for In The Mountains again until my Diluc is at least level 60, gets a proper 4 star weapon (probably Prototype Archaic) and I get a few more levels on all my artifacts. That's the one with the 4 waves of enemies across a pool of water with icicles falling on your head and tons of opportunities to just get stunlocked into freeze and ends with 3 Cryo Abyss Mages that gives you three minutes to defeat all of the above and must be done as part of the overall quest. The game goes from fairly casual to a bit much in a hurry once you start really climbing the mountain.

My current plan is to use some combination of Fischl, Xiangling and Diluc once they're all more or less maxed out for world level 3 to try to beat it along with the best food but even then I'm not too confident. This one just feels kind of unbalanced somehow.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tae posted:

This is from another pve only game that's on its 6th year while also dominating revenue in Japan while being as stale as year 1 gameplay wise:

https://twitter.com/ToastCrust/status/1278642923446235136

Genshin will live and make oodles of money because of its characters. The 99% of people who will roll for Ayaka or Yoimiya or Baal is because:
-they are cute
-Their voice actor is popular
-Their part in the story had great moments
-they love their playstyle
-gap
-gap
-gap
-Oh man they're gonna help me get 600 primo every two weeks at the abyss better

That game doesn't pull in nearly what it used to even with it's first big update in over a year. As far as I've been able to tell though for the past decade Japan is all but brainwashed to throw as much money as they possibly can at it's particular publisher (which has a massive practically all encompassing social media presence in Japan that they can just turn on like that) regardless of the effort level they put forth in whatever it is that they are doing. The one that seems to dominate the mobile game revenue these days in Japan pretty consistently is Uma Musume Pretty Derby (also a company that Japan just seems to positively throw money at for often really arbitrary reasons) for what it's worth, which to me isn't much. Then there's Monster Strike which is even older than all of the above and still a huge hit over there.

The vast majority of all revenue ever grossed for mobile game titles comes specifically from Japan China, Korea cause that's where social media has turned it into this unhealthy obsession and somewhat overwritten what they consider gaming to mean essentially gacha smartphone games. In the rest of the world it's usually social apps and media programs that make the most money. I'm pretty glad I don't have anywhere even remotely close to a ridiculously obsessive approach to free to play titles or like much of anything really.

Genshin Impact seems to be about the only one of these that has really caught on in a super huge mainstream way outside of Asia. Probably in large part due to the massive marketing budget and influencers they got to shill the game when it first started up and the whole actual noticeable effort in design part as opposed to just shovelware mission based RPG using a popular license collabs and pretty pictures stuff.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tae posted:

People absolutely don't throw money just because of the publisher, considering Delightwork's other mobage Sakura Revolution died in 6 months.

But my point is that power creep is not a major point for a PVE game in the long run for Genshin, it's everything else they do in regards to characters and story and events that'll keep the audience.

I'm not talking about the developer I'm talking about it's Publisher Aniplex Inc. which is a division of Sony and the marketing and social media engagement machine behind basically every big anime otaku thing from Japan in the last 10-15 years. Nobody over there really gives a gently caress about Delightworks much as people seem to think they're the big player in this instance, which I really don't know why people still or would ever think they matter at all really. Nor do I get why they are surprised that they blew it with Sakura Revolution and trying to go out on their own with just Sega publishing.

But yes that and the actual effort in game design thing is what's going to keep Genshin Impact a thing globally. There's just like unusually lots to do and solid content updates for a game using the gacha mechanic for monetization. I remember trying to play Fire Emblem Heroes even casually for a couple years and found even then not worth considering much because there was just never anything to do in it and it had like 15 minutes of new way to easy to P2W content a month to like 4-5 banners in the same time period, which kind of showed me it's priorities. Sadly that's kind of the standard for mobile phone games in general.

I'm honestly kind of floored at how involved just the temporary summer quest was for this game. Like it was legit really fun and had a lot too it for a F2P game again using gacha. It's practically a revelation to see this kind of approach to a game like this and like there's legit a majority effort going into things that aren't banners for a change.

Even then the effort level on the character trailers for them though puts just about everything else to shame. The typical standard in the mobile game industry is to just run a social media stream and have a bunch of voice actors and magazine shills show pictures of a few characters and some vague details about them and their stats and act really really excited about it. If your lucky maybe they get a rushed 15 second or 1 minute trailer with some animated key art cuts of whoever is going to be on the banner and maybe a couple seconds spent on each one maybe turning and looking at the camera or something. It doesn't really tell you anything about them really. This game they seem to have a particular motif they're going for in the overall artstyle for lore type stuff yes, but have also been tailoring trailers to characters in surprisingly craft ways that I think connect on a global scale.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 27, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

I also really wanted to dunk on this game when it first came out cause the whole gacha thing has kind of taken the piss out of Japanese/Asian gaming as far as I'm concerned and diverted far too many resources from just frankly real rear end games (yes I'm one of those) but I also believe in credit where it's due and aside from FFXIV it's about the only one I see myself sticking with for anything length of turn that follows any sort of subscription model. I have plenty of self-restraint to never end up throwing money at a random chance to get a character thing, it's the lack of effort in game design that I have the real issue with when it comes to them.

The only character I kind of really want from this game is Ayaka because yes I'm also one of those that likes the Japanese voice actress for her (does anybody not really?) and she seems to hit the right notes, but if for some reason my saving for it doesn't work out (currently at about 140 Intertwined fate) I can actually live with it just fine.

No Wave posted:

I think the game is honestly amazing. I sincerely think this is the most interesting/exciting/fun game on the market and it's not even close. The awkwardness of the party system and elemental reactions is just right and every game I play I wish I could switch between four characters that are incapable on their own. This doesn't feel like a rehash of something that came out twenty years ago, elements from different games are mixed together in a really bold way and there are a lot of very talented people making these decisions more or less work.

I've also looked at other gachas specifically and they don't offer a tenth of what Genshin offers, the closest is Honkai and I just like everything Genshin does better.

I also think the game pushes out more content than anything else out there by like a factor of 2x. I know we run out of things to do almost immediately but the variety of stuff released on a regular basis is just wild.

This games lore doesn't seem anywhere near as impenetrable as Honkai Impacts does, but I also think it might be because it seemed to have an English adaptation team ready to go for it to make sure things clicked with an English speaking audience that might just randomly pick it up cause it's F2P. I also don't know if that's something to do with the wiki for it or not but I swear I went positively cross-eyed trying to make anything of it a few years back. I just went and checked it and it seems totally re-written.

The only thing I know about it is apparently the main character eventually turns into the main antagonist and is an omnipotent being of sorts so very anime.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 27, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

To the person who asked yesterday yeah Puzzles and Dragons is still a thing. It appeals to the casual market in Japan too and has collaborated with virtually every franchise under the sun meaning your favorite character or brand is probably in it. Good way to stay relevant without changing up core gameplay or structure in years.

Kale
May 14, 2010

That makes a lot of sense actually with how people seem to have a lot of luck doing 10 pulls till 70 or so and then just one pulls from then beyond. I can probably relax a little bit on saving for Ayaka now since I have about 135 Intertwined fate or so worth of primo gems and actual IF's and a pretty easy way to get about 15-20 more (not counting commissions and blessing of the welkin moon) over the next month from stardust and Genesis Crystals (which I'm not sure how I have since I never bought any) and that's not counting what I haven't gotten from this session of the Abyss and various chests and quests I still haven't done though I'm finally running out of the latter now.

I've been thinking of trying my luck at getting Rosaria but also don't want to risk triggering the 5* draw early or loving myself resource wise for Ayaka either. Something like two 10 pulls towards the end of this banner seems reasonable.

Kale
May 14, 2010

MajorBonnet posted:

Welkin gives you 300 if you've bought it.

Yeah I somehow managed to buy three of them accidentally in May when I had my PS4 controller plugged into my PC and didn't realize it was still synced to the PS4 too. Somehow managed to press the exact combination of buttons to put me into the menu and by three of them and I have 900 genesis crystals so that'd be it then. Anyway all of a sudden my phone is going off with e-mails from Sony Interactive thanking me for my string of 6.99 purchases as I'm navigating menus in PC Trails of Azure.

Overall perhaps not terrible value for an accidental purchase though since the game just dumps an easy 15 minutes or so to get 150 Primo gems on me every day now between that login bonus and the daily commissions for the equivalent of about as much time worked for income through to the end of August. Depending on where the game goes from here I might even renew it again, we'll see.

Other stuff just doesn't seem all that worth it to me like the Gnostic hymn. Like I guess you get some Intertwined Fates too every 10 levels or so and a hell of a lot more weapon and leveling mats then the F2P line, as well as a free choice of bonus 4 star weapon provided you feel like min maxing the Battle pass enough to qualify for it, but I don't know if it's worth 15.99 per season or however much they charge versus like 30 days of frankly the most valuable in game currency just dropped on you for the price of your average drive-thru lunch.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 29, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tae posted:

Since people are asking about rolling for kazuha or not, here's a short summary of who's upcoming:

Known date:

Cameo in latest story:
Sara: https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact_Leaks/comments/nzmnyp/sara_in_inazuma_credit_to_anonsbelle/
Shogun: https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact_Leaks/comments/o0lebv/shogun_electropolearm/

Future females beyond next patch:
Yae Miko: https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact_Leaks/comments/o77yld/yae_render/
Kokomi:
Yunjin:

Future Males:
Tohma:
Gorou:

Kokomi looks like some sort of dancer, Yunjin could be anything with the gothic lolita getup and Tohma and Gorou look like another Samurai and a male Kitsune respectively.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

I take no pleasure in reporting that, now that I'm caught up on main story quests, Paimon has grown on me and now I officially like the stupid little gremlin, voice and all.

Paimons pretty hilarious to me past the early game for all the bizarre reactions to stuff and how much she just kind of gets dunked on. It was still weird to see the MC actually get a line in the end of the Geo Archon quest because the general rule is if there's any dialogue Paimon just pops out and starts yapping at the person in an almost broken telephone style of dialogue

Kale
May 14, 2010

Gonna be a lot of rule 34 fanart of Baal pulling a thunder sword out of her cleavage I'd imagine. Probably sooner than anyone would think. Amazing that's only the second time I've seen a trailer for something anime inspired end that way this week after it happened in the Tales of Arise intro only that time the sword was on fire. It's not exactly a super common trope either. :lol:

All joking aside everything in that trailer looks like it's going to be really really popular. Somebody clearly did their homework setting this chapter up. Like all A-lister VA's for the Japanese cast in particular, and lots of "waifu" ground covered in all the characters that were introduced with not a lot of overlap between them either all centered around the theme of Samurai/Ninja Shogun era Japan with a touch of Ghibli inspiration.

Also yeah there's the one guy in all of that that didn't really stand out all that much.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Neverending Battle event seems pretty poo poo if your F2P and still hovering around the 50-60's in terms of levels. The Kaboom Ball one I aced cause it's not based around anything other than skill and reaction time and the one where you fight the 3 bosses I could also hack on normal with some handicaps even albeit with some struggle, but this one I'm stuck doing the lowest difficulty and can barely manage 350 pts with food buffs, let alone 500, let alone 2000, which I'm not even going to try since I just at least wanted the primo gems.

The obvious "trick" here on the first one is to have Ganyu/Eula and/or Venti but I don't have either of those. My Cryo people are Kaeya and Diona (little neglected of late and level 55 or so) and both are kind of poo poo for steady DPS to make it worth it for the superconduct boost. Also not a big fan of the whole having to stop and shoot a ball at targets to build up buffs, especially since it has a tendency to fly off in a random direction towards the enemies or pass right through the target. Looking like I'm kind SOL on this one for those extra primo gems. Maybe if the enemies weren't so tanky even on the absolute lowest setting and I had end game 5 star characters I'd have a better chance. :shrug:

Probably the first event I'm not really a fan of and quite frustrating for a F2P guy that has barely used the gacha and has been taking things relatively slow on cranking the numbers up tbh. Obviously the internet is total garbage for any sort of tips because it's either people with their 5 star min-maxed Ganyu/Venti teams bragging about how easy it was for them to do or that gossipy style of click-bait journalism that just rehashes (barely) how the mechanics of the event work, which the game explains well enough aside from the momentum thing, which btw barely helps me. I just plain think Lvl 55 Kaeya/Diona are not built to carry an event like this even a little to get to 500 and my other options aren't too hot either. Just Diluc at level 60 basically that gets no major damage bonuses and is still stuck using a 3 star weapon since I screwed up and got the wrong billet to make a Prototype Archaic.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 10, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tae posted:

Is this on the lowest setting?

This is on the absolute lowest setting or I can barely even kill anything yeah.

Taratang posted:

That's not a F2P issue, you're just relatively low level - if you've already missed 6+ months of levelling/gathering materials since the game released, don't stress about missing a few days worth of rewards at most. You'll catch up in time.

Yeah I'm thinking it's definitely a big part that too. I played a bit in October at first, got busy with work leading up to the holidays and then only recently tried the game again in March like 5-6ish months later and haven't exactly been gunning it to jack up the levels. Most characters I have are around level 50-60 like I said with most at 60 and same with weapons where just about everyone but Diluc has a 4 star now. Artifacts are looking around level 5-8 on average and talents have at least a level or 2 on most characters with an average of probably 3 on the ones I use most. Not really pulling in the constellations either since as I said I've barely used the gacha mechanic which will change once I have Ayaka. Just the ones I can buy with sigils and one for Lisa from the opening 10 draw the game gives you since I got her from that and then the game also gives you her automatically which converted to her thing there.

I still didn't think I was THAT low level though, but I guess I am.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 10, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

Radical posted:

i feel like there used to be way more hilariously malicious gacha stuff in asia before the governments started telling companies to clean up their act (or else.) maybe the EU as a whole will eventually get more serious about this, but for now they're just asking "how badly can we punish our customers before it matters?" and the line where it matters is ever farther off into the distance.

It was something called Complete-Gacha that I know was banned where you'd have to roll for multiple things to then make a complete thing to get the thing that you actually wanted. A sleazy way to get people who would otherwise just get one thing on a banner and call it quits to keep going at it.

My issue with gacha from a personal standpoint is less the monetary exploitation thing (since I just don't have an addictive personality in the slightest where it'd ever be an issue) so much as it's just decimated what Japan will consider as a game and what companies are willing to invest the most time and effort into developing, which is still often just basic cookie cutter auto battle JRPGs you play on your tiny little phone screen. It's pretty loving ridiculous that we live in a time of 4K Ultra HD resolutions and graphics on 60 inch televisions, high speed internet, detailed character modelling and shading tools that can now replicate things like cartoon/anime art styles and even hyper realistic graphics very well......and yet the country that basically popularized and revitalized the video game industry in the 80's after the legendary crash and it almost being considered a passing fad with Atari think for the better part of 7-8 years now that the ideal video game is high quality pixiv artists JPEG splash art collection with a popular voice actor attached to it.....that typically you don't even get to use in game since it'll often be a much easier to animate chibi version of the character twitchy undulating around a screen 2-3 frame attacking stuff for 7 digit figures of damage.

Needless to say I wouldn't be touching Genshin Impact without the actual game component and actual utilization of the capabilities of the 400 dollar console hardware I bought.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Andrast posted:

Japan has been knocking it out of the park with video games lately tho

Yeah when they try they try and just export the game to the rest of the world and it's pretty well received like a Resident Evil VIII or FFVII Remake. It just feels like that sort of thing has slowed down a lot recently Covid or not and the executive producers that get poo poo green-lit would really just rather be doing yet another mobile phone RPG gacha game by default for any given property as default option 1 since even moderate investment risk is still seen as a huge no no in Japanese business culture. What I call "prevailing wisdom" is also big in corporate culture in Japan and right now regardless of what the rest of the world thinks the prevailing wisdom in executive circles still seems very much big on the whole gacha/auto-battle JRPG for Android/IOS as the one true proven business model for games, even if they have to rely on Asia (specifically Japan) for it and these types of games tend to perform far far worse in overseas markets on average.

Fortunately in spite of all this the global market for video games has still ultimately opened up a LOT more in recent times so this model for HD Console games is able to work somewhat and Steam has really facilitated options for devs/publishers with not a whole lot of capital. I remember reading an interview from the Fire Emblem producer saying that things have kind of reversed in the last decade from how he remembers them being in the 90's and 2000's where they now expect the vast majority of the sales for the franchise to come from overseas markets. Ditto Final Fantasy, though that flip started happening much much earlier around the time of FFVI apparently.

Again it's the absolute cookie cutter nature of most of these games and the limitations of the mobile format that is my biggest issue with them, not the monetization, lovely and limiting as it often is to have to get your characters and gear that way rather than through story/challenge means. Actual wait maybe that is an issue too since a lot of the limitation and cookie cutter aspect is a direct result of the monetization method. :lol:

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 10, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tae posted:

They're not making the ones they like, maybe

That's a good way to look at my beef with it. I just think they've taken the whole auto-battle JRPG with gacha elements for mobile platforms about as far as they can possibly take it now honestly. Despite using the gacha model Genshin Impact is practically a breath of fresh air revelation for F2P GAAS. Actual exploration, role-playing and questing...I mean what a concept.

dogsicle posted:

after that trailer i knew they were gonna gently caress us on Kokomi

I thought she was supposed to be some sort of dancer or something as opposed to a resistance leader so that came as a surprise to me. It also makes such a difference in impression seeing them in game in a trailer doing stuff rather than the leaked T-Pose model we got for them all a while back.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 10, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

MajorBonnet posted:

She could be both. Inazuma has shades of the town from Footloose.

On the other hand too also anime style where it really doesn't matter how you dress or look vis-a-vis your occupation. It's probably gonna be something over the top colorful and elaborate that can be marketed for cosplay and/or very skimpy. That outfit could be a dancer....or it could be a mighty warrior military genius resistance leader.

Or it could even indeed be both. :psyboom:

Also what is Baal basically just firebrand pulpit pounding John Lithgow telling the people no more vision fun allowed?:lol: Thing is you find out in that movie that

spoilers for literal Footloose starring Kevin Bacon:he's kind of playing the strict authoritarian preacher that got dancing and alcohol banned in the town for what he feels are legitimately good intentions borne out of immense personal grief and has just taken things too far to where the people aren't actually happy so much as afraid of disappointing him.

With Baal it sounds so far that she's playing the authoritarian cause she's gotten way to high on her god hood status and thinks everyone else is weak and beneath her divine perfectly perfectness and thus don't deserve toys and blessings of heaven. I'm sure there's more too it since your apparently supposed to be able to get her eventually, but yeah.

Kale
May 14, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think she was rumored to be a polearm user for awhile wasn't she?

But given she pulls a whole rear end sword out of her boobs in the trailer sword makes complete sense. And we don't have another sword electro besides Traveler.

People also love to be the first to break the big news for stuff to so could i
Misreport rumors or the datamines could just be incomplete as well or deliberately set up to thwart leakers.

Anyway managed to get an extra claymore billet for Diluc now (remembered i still had the special pick on type package from the summer quest) so thats sorted out and now and he has a prototype archaic with the atk% multiplier. Cant wait to see how different his hits are when i have it leveled properly.

Kale
May 14, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

This event is showing how little I actually understand how to play this game properly. I cannot hit 2000 points even if I drop the difficulty because then nothing spawns in quick enough to catch up thanks to the lower modifier value. I've got Venti with a level 7 ult and- honestly not that great- VV artifacts but I still can't get over 1400 in the second one.

Well you said that you have Razor, and he absolutely shines in dealing physical damage compared to Diluc. Can't he beat the slimes to death? Choungyun is better off doing cryo damage but I'm guessing from the sound of it that he's not actually leveled up and you were just using him to drop his frost field for Diluc to try and take advantage of.

Barring that, just try doing it co-op, usually anyone trying to run it will either bring in Ganyu or Childe and they can handle dealing with the slimes and fire mages for you.

I could barely scrap 500 so i cant even fathom 2000 right now. I thought my party was coming along decently but guess not lol.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Man what a difference the proper 4 star prototype archaic makes for Diluc already. The atk% multiplier alone is noticeable and I'm far from having it leveled up. Also realized now i can fight weekly bosses as many times as i want but just cant claim the treasure which i wish i knew before since now I've lost out on about 3.5k points or so this last battle pass. Next order of business is to start levelling sucrose and a refocus on getting some of those elemental buff four star artifacts i can now get and are supposedly among the best and levelling those and talents up. Hopefully really start to see some numbers creep up now that I've got everyone around level 60 in terms of weapons and the character's themselves.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So yeah I expected the fanart for Baal to be generous with the sword out of chest depictions but roughly 75% of all fanart I've seen says either lack of inspiration to go on outside of the trailer depiction and/or the internet being as predictably perverted as ever. She seems rather obviously cut from the ever popular "step on me please mommy" cloth that is all the rage these days, which I'm almost surprised they didn't exploit in the trailer at all.

Is Xinyan the character that kind of knocks people out of their damage zone with one of their attack combos? I seem to remember hearing about there being some character that does that. It's yet another character I have basically zero frame of reference for because I literally have not seen them in game at all doing anything, but the same could be said for lots of characters. I had no idea who Albedo really was when he showed up in the Golden Archipelago event and still don't really, but obviously I knew who Jean, Barbara and Diluc were for example since they've been a near constant story presence since I started playing the game. Beidou, Bennett, Eula, Hu Tao, Xinyan, Yanfei, Mona, Chongyun, and Rosaria I know of (especially Mona who seems extremely popular for a character that doesn't show up in any of the Monstadt story missions) but haven't seen in game at all even once yet.

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

They were. The reduction from H to DD was a big "controversy".

Probably not as big as when Tifa Lockhart was "censored" for the PS4/PS5 remake, by which I mean updated to a super high detailed CGI model well beyond anything I ever imagined and given multiple costumes including a very revealing "mature" outfit AND is still sporting as generous a bust as ever for a martial artist.

There's a couple sites out there like Censored Gaming and One Angry Gamer that seem to basically exist to give marching orders to the right wing gamer crowd to go out onto every gamer corner of the internet and threadshit about even if they conflict wildly with reality. It's always something like you describe where a character is taken from some original character design sketch of them having comically large breasts or something and scaled down to a "more feasible" DD size to work better with a character model render in a game that's going to need to be doing action heavy bending, weaving, pivoting and all that stuff.

If something happened with Rosaria (admittedly have not seen her story model at all in game, just what's in her character trailer) I probably would have neglected to notice in the face of her whole fetish fish net stocking outfit and sexy vamp walk from the trailer until the internet let me know all about it. It sometime amazes me all the on the nose sexual fetish stuff some people online just flat out ignore in video games just to bitch about one particular thing they feel is missing while I sit there and look at characters like Tifa or Rosaria and still can't help but laugh a little at how hyper sexual they come across while doing anime fighting stuff. Not to mention how much effort seems to go into character modelling their hips, thighs, breasts and costumes.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Somehow some way after getting a proper 4 star weapon for Diluc (just Prototype Archaic but what a difference) to act as a proper Main DPS, going on a talent upgrading spree and with some serious help from food and a lot of practice I managed to bash together a team to Bronze all of the available Never Ending Battle challenges. The last one was the hardest by far because the buff is frankly kind of lovely, but just barely squeaked in 505 points. I honestly did not expect to be able to pull that off.

I realize I could really use Keqing, Tartaglia and/or Ayaka/Eula/Ganyu in particular on my team. Now that I actually have one I really notice the difference in a five star DPS characters compared to everyone else I have available. Like it's kind of not even close how much more damage he is putting out than anyone else I have and was cracking 5 digit numbers at one point with optimal buffs while most of my team struggles to crack 4 digit figures.

I have a few too many slow distance attacking type bow users and magicians but not really enough characters that can get up in an enemies face and apply pressure with good damage other than Traveler, Diluc and sort of Xiangliang. Noelle isn't quite ready yet but close so right now it's something like 2 sword users in Traveller and Kaeya with Kaeya lagging considerably behind. 3 bow users with Fischl, Diona and Amber with Amber being back at level 40 and Diona feeling like more of a support character, 1 Polearm user in Xiangling who is pretty good but not as good as Diluc anymore for Pyro and occasionally filly more of a support DPS role, 2 Claymore users I mentioned, and 3 Catalyst users in Lisa, Ningguang and Sucrose with Sucrose not really being suitable for combat just yet.

So yeah could really use some more close in fighters of more elements than just Fire, Anemo and earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Noticing that I can hit Level 50 on a battlepass for the first time if I were to get the Gnostic Hymn would I retroactively get all of the things that are locked by it? This time at least it kind of seems like it might be worth it. I also cleared the starglow cavern challenge so will be doing the Adventure Rank Ascension 2 quest and unlocking a whole bunch of stuff as well as upping the world level so I actually have use for things like lots of leveling materials, weapons, intertwined fates and primogems.