Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My money's on Vision asking who can they get to babysit the kids tonight, then Deadpool crawls out of the TV like Sadako, Wanda and Vision look incredibly confused and we cut to a commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My take is Wanda genuinely believes it when she told the boys the dead can't be revived (Vision being an exception due to being a glorified toaster)...but clearly you can just nab a living counterpart from an alternate universe so maybe we can get funky android comic Sparky in the next ep, which I am all for.

Anyway, loved the ep.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Everyone posted:

Doesn't Strange say at one point that the job of the Sorcerer Supreme is to protect the entire Earth Dimension from mystical threats? Like, the whole loving universe plus some extra weird poo poo thrown in. Isn't it possible/probably that Strange and the other sorcerers are busy with other poo poo and that the unpleasant (but not currently fatal) thing happening in New Jersey is kind of small ball compared to, perhaps, stopping not-Cthulhu from eating a planet with billions of sentient people on it?

Probably but Wanda is now literally reading not-Cthulhu's Big Book of Bad Magic so they'd have a good reason to pay her a visit as soon as they hear about it.

Anyway, I wasn't really into the typical CGI flying around fighting and shooting beams at each other stuff but did love both the resolution to the duelling synthezoids and the runes reveal. And while there were a few other things about the finale that didn't really work for me (Darcy's blink and miss it arrival, the nonsense with Hayward: Would Be Kid Killer, anything with Monica and Fietro) I think it hit the main emotional beats it needed to. I'd also agree with those saying there's not a lot Wanda could really say or do to make amends to the people of Westview, I'd expect they'd just want her the gently caress out of their lives asap so the whole 'witch driven out/fleeing the angry community' thing felt appropriate at least (and when word gets out, it could certainly serve as a credible starting point for suspicion and distrust if further such incidents occur as/when mutants pop up unleashing wild poo poo on your doorstep). All she can do is strive to make sure it never happens again, and actually I kinda like the idea that Wanda might have a touch of the Constantines about her anyway - someone whose heart and intent is in the right place but invariably leaves a trail of devastation in their wake.

So yeah, didn't nail the landing but overall, I still dug the series and loved Olsen and Bettany in it. Have just gone through a crushing loss like Monica's myself (minus blips, lovely bosses and cool superpowers), I'd be lying if I said a series so heavily focused on grief was exactly what I wanted going in yet now it's over, I will miss it.

Oh yeah: lol at them sneaking in a tiny wee Magneto motif in the headdress, the shameless teases just never end.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The_Doctor posted:

:monocle:

Also, for all the ‘Batman doesn’t kill’ thing, I don’t think there’s been a film where he hasn’t killed someone (‘66 notwithstanding).

‘66 has him and Robin (unintentionally of course) kill a bunch of Penguin’s goons with a single punch due to unstable molecules!

Only Clooneyman’s hands are bloodless and pure.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Having never really looking into her origin too much beyond the bare basics, it suddenly occurs to me: is the reason Rogue stops being a piece of poo poo and becomes a hero due to absorbing Carol's personality as well as her powers?

Is Rogue really Rogue at this point? Did she genuinely change and want to be a better person or was it a combination of Carol's heroic nature and Xavier doing his thang trying to sort the mess out that altered her way of thinking, and she was effectively changed against her will?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aren't sorcerers natural talents with a limited range, while wizards learn it all from books (and wear dumb hats)? Or something.

In the MCU they seem to be interchangeable though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

bentacos posted:

I'm beginning to think this John Walker guy was not a good choice for Captain America.

Conversely, I'm thinking he's actually the perfect choice to represent America. That final shot is basically AMERICA.jpg for all to see.

Seriously though, what a fantastic episode. Props to Wyatt Russell for how he's nailing Walker both as an tremendous shithead yet oddly relatable guy gone off the rails you can sort of empathise with. And please give Daniel Bruhl a Thunderbolts series tomorrow, he's just a delight to watch, his Zemo is wonderful.

Morrow posted:

The whole theme of this series seems to be that there's no replacing Captain America. You have a handful of characters that fill the physical, ideological, moral, or institutional roles but no one is the complete package and as Zemo points out, no one will ever be.

This is a really good point but I still can't help but root for Sam to pull it off.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It’s both sad and funny that in his limited screentime, Lamarr came over as a far more worthy candidate to replace Steve than Walker ever managed. If not Sam then they should have given it to him but we all know why they didn’t, ugh.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Comic Ultron is just weird in a way the film version rarely came close to but the consistent link between them is that they're all bugfuck crazy. It's been a toaster with daddy issues, a shrieking Dalek-like murderbot, a bodyguard to Doom for some reason, makes a girlfriend using the brain patterns of its 'mom' (the Wasp). At one point it sort of does a Brainiac 5s and becomes a cool and chill, non-homicidal version but I think that one is then killed by an earlier murderbot version(?). An even later revision of itself is based on the Wasp again, this time a naked metal woman that was finally destroyed by a combination of a Commodore 64 and a miniaturised Greek god of war.

This one is clearly the best version though: Vision followed signal to a New Orleans jazz club only to find Ultron wearing a trench coat and a hat.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just chiming in to say I'd also love more Nebula hanging out with Rhodey & Rocket adventures. Or anyone really, I dug what they've done with her in the limited screen time she's had so far.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Goodnight, sweet Leeeeepair, I will miss you :(

Finale was okay. Some nice action scenes but I was unsatisfied with how all the Flag Smashers were ultimately dealt with. Sam's speech, while the intent was good, was clunky as hell and the whole scene felt really awkward with that shitheel senator just arguing with him in the street trying to defend the GRC's horseshit. Loved Cap v Batroc and am gutted we won't get another rematch now (gently caress YOU, SHARON) as he's great as a recurring Bond style pre-credits badguy to chump on. The Power Broker stuff was eh, we've all suspected for weeks so no surprises there, it feels half-baked and horrendously out of character (my head canon is that joining the CIA crack-pinged Sharon's brain). And while it was nice that Sam did get Isaiah his much deserved and long overdue recognition, I'm not sure I buy him being pleased about it given everything he said in the previous ep. It just felt too pat.

And much as it pains me to admit it given it's Sam's series and all about him accepting he absolutely is the best man for the job my favourite moment of the whole episode was John putting aside his thirst for vengeance to try and save the people trapped in the truck. I'm kinda hype to see where they take him from here because Wyatt Russell has been an unexpected delight in what is a pretty thankless role. Plus Bucky dunking on him never gets old.

So yeah, merely an okay end to the series but overall, while far from perfect I really liked the show and would deffo watch a second series if they do one. If I'm honest, I kinda prefer the six episode format, I like that it gives more room to explore the characters, feels like a typical comic book story arc than heavily compressed into a one off cinema experience.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sanguinia posted:

I can't wait to yell CHARGING STAR more. I got to do it so many times in this series, and now it seems to be Sam's go-to Cap Move since he's got that rocket pack.

MvC4 with SamCap, and a redone Bionic Commando model to be Bucky when, Capcom? You can include the X-Men again so there’s no excuse, dammit.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

tsob posted:

Edit 2: Also also, are there any more Asian heroes or heroines being planned for Marvel? I know there's several more Black and Latin heroes and heroines coming down the pipe with Captain America, Black Panther, Torres Falcon, Echo etc. and that Disney are starting to lay the seeds for gay representation with America Chavez, Valkyrie, Wiccan and possibly others, but I can't think of any other Asian characters I've heard about being planned at Marvel beyond Shang Chi. I assume they're planning at least one more that could conceivably be helmed by an actual Asian production team and/or cast, but can't think of any possibilities.

Other than Helen Cho's son, who's a genius and later Hulks up, the only ones that immediately come to mind are all mutants (Sunfire, Karma, Jubilee, Kwannon/Psylocke II, Armor). Presumably once Ruffalo ages out/decides he's had enough they might switch to Amadeus but if they intend to do the X-Men 'properly' this time, it could be a while before any of those guys show up as traditionally, they're second and third generation mutants. But there's nothing stopping them from taking an approach like the old cartoon and just rolling with something similar to the classic 90s crew right off the bat.

Hopefully there's loads more I'm forgetting. Perhaps some Inhumans but other than Kamala and the dog, no one ever gave a toss about them because they're all lame af.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

radmonger posted:

I think, by various 90’s crossovers, Dredd actually counts as part of Marvel continuity.

An Alien infestation of Mega City One is 2000 AD canon (he even had a chestburster removed), and pretty sure he's had bother with a Predator once or twice too. Don't think there's ever been an explicit Marvel hero crossover though, just ones with Batman.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

live with fruit posted:

If we're breaking this seal, someone's pointed out that one of the Time-Keepers (the middle one) kinda looks like Jonathan Majors.

Oh drat. And looking again, the Timekeepers' statue faces are all broken up/segmented by lines running down them...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Desperado Bones posted:

Edit: Oh and the music was terrible. We were blessed with the score of Thor Ragnarok and now Loki.

Get hosed, cloth ears, the main Thor/Yggdrasil theme was awesome and reused in Ragnarok.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

heckyeahpathy posted:

My guess about the finale: it's not another Loki variant, it's OUR Loki at the end of his life. He's preserving the sacred timeline because it's the one where he becomes a whole person through meeting Silvie, but in doing so, he's betraying her to living decades/centuries of a miserable existence beforehand. Now he has to decide if his own growth is worth another person's suffering.

Uh-oh, that might just be it if they use Leah in Gillen's 'Journey Into Mystery' run as an inspiration.

As it cool as it would be for Kang to show up, I doubt they'd introduce him here ahead of Ant-Man 3. I've been fairly convinced from the start that the head of the TVA would turn out to be Richard E Grant and this episode only increased that feeling for me, especially the way he responded to the pep talk, believing that nothing necessarily has to be locked in and anything is possible, even 'winning'. Of course, a lot of it is also because he's fantastic and I want to see him gadding about with a goblet of wine as much as possible.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

tsob posted:

I can't see it happening, since Old Loki being the "Man behind the curtains" would completely undercut not just the heroic sacrifice they just did with him as the emotional climax of the last episode, but also the thematic work prior to that of him being so angry that he was pruned when he decided to do something different and him wondering if Loki's can change. The entire finale hangs upon him deciding to change by fighting rather than just surviving, and him being the villain would basically negate that entire little arc. Also, the fact they keep talking about the "man" behind the curtain is making me think it must be a woman just to subvert things a bit, even beyond the curtain show we had originally. Ravonna being the only woman left in the show it could be, since Sylvie has been sympathetic from episode 3 at the latest.

Yes yes that's all very well and good but you're forgetting the most crucial thing: it would be the most absolute, completely and utterly Loki thing to do.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

tsob posted:

You're also forgetting that the entire point of the show is "can Loki be more than what all Loki's define themselves as?".

And you're also forgetting that if the entire point of the show is 'Lokis can be more than what they define themselves as' then what better way to stick a thumb in the eye of the universe and its 'Loki's are doomed to fail' narrative than by becoming Master of All Time. Always and deciding what the narrative of the universe should be for everyone in it?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Love love loved it. Even though I've never had much time for the comic version of They Who Remains, the actor here just killed it hamming it up as a bored and bugfuck insane (yet largely benevolent) incarnation. They can monologue as much as they want it my book, it was a delight and I'm now fully on board for future appearances.

As for how things wrapped up with Sylvie and Loki, it was very (and hilariously) Batman Returns.

Give Natalie Holt all the score awards now, she's been brilliant all series.

Phylodox posted:

I mean, the MCU has never been shy about the fact that the “gods” of this universe are very, very, extremely human. They’re not even really the human experience writ large, they’re pretty much the human experience written in a slightly bolder font.

Plus the actual Norse and Greek gods myths had them just as flawed as humans anyway, they're chock full of idiots, schemers and gently caress ups. They are very far from being divine beings.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I can't fathom how dull and joyless one could be to hate on Kamala's embiggening powers. They're great and fun!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

This always has and always will be bullshit. I would download a Ferrari Testarossa in a fuckin' heartbeat, and about a dozen other cars besides.

Anyway, while I think they really should have gone harder on the visual weirdness, I really appreciated this ep, it pressed a whole lot of depressing buttons I really relate to right now. And Bug Cloak > Strange's Cloak.

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that (very end of episode spoilers) The Watcher basically told Strange,"You hosed around, you found out, live with the consequences <:mad:>"

Yeah, it you could tell this one held him in the high esteem the 616 version holds Hank McCoy.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's odd because for most of my life the comic version has leant more towards the stoic and regal noble warrior depiction, and it's certainly provided a host of awesomely metal Van Art moments over the years. But the current portrayal is, if anything, more in keeping with the actual mythology, with him being kind of a dope constantly getting pranked by his brother, and goes well with Chris H's natural comic abilities. It's just nice, minty fresh fun.

Still, after Ragnarok wasted Surtur, Hela and Skurge (his big moment was but a pale imitation of the original), I'm fearful of Love & Thunder following suit with Gor, a main antagonist of one of the best Thor sagas in decades. I'm sure it'll be a great laugh regardless and I'm hype for Buff Jane but I kinda wish Bale was playing Dario Agger instead. Though I guess little chance of Disney making the bullish personification of ruthless hyper-capitalism and its hideous corporation the lead villain.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

mutata posted:

Dr Strange trailer and leaked Lego set spoilers: The tentacled monster probably isn't Shuma-Gorath as there's a Lego set of it that leaked and it's called something else. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more than a few different Stranges in the multiverse movie.

Dunno about the Lego stuff but did you not spot the honkin' big eyeball at the centre of the tentacle mass just before Strange splits the van in half? If that ain't Shuma-Gorath then I don't know what is..!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
gently caress Cloak & Dagger, they've always been poo poo. Make a Ruby Thursday series, Disney you cowards. I want amoral superscientist conwoman shenanigans.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

TK-42-1 posted:

Beastmaster. It’s one of those movies I refuse to go watch again because it can’t be as good as I remember it.

The only things I remember are the ferret sacrifice, and those cool, scary dude-things who pop up a couple of times, throw open their arms/wings/cloaks and hug you leaving only a gooey skeleton. It was so rad I’m sure I must have imagined it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rarity posted:

But who is the MCU's Scientist Supreme? :thunkher:

:doom:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Loved it, everything was more or less perfect except for the powers thing which I will probably never stop being salty about (grandma's Green Lantern bangle, pah), Nakia looked way older than the rest of the gang, plus I refuse to believe Jersey City has ever looked so cool, sunny and lovely ever.

:colbert:

But yeah, love it. And won't lie, I felt bad for her dad when she didn't want him to go with her, even though I totally get why.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, not a fan of its handling of Bruno so far but that's about it.

Scott, you absolute jerk, putting *that* out there for the podcast but yeah, Kamala getting her Nat on was hilarious and the episode was grand overall.

Nakia's badges/buttons are great and I want one.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I hope Bruno doesn't get the Sharon Carter treatment, and this is Ms Marvel not Spider-Man but his outfit colours at the street festival did set off some alarm bells.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Nevermind, forgot I have to wait to watch it with my daughter or she’ll have a toddler meltdown. :smith:

:3:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I was lucky enough to get invited to a Bangladeshi wedding and it was very similar, they had everything *but* the dance off and, er, Bon Jovi tribute act. So now I feel kinda cheated.

Anyway, the most disappointing ep so far due to that ludicrous heel turn. Like, you've already waited centuries, you saying you really can't loving wait a few more days while her brother's wedding is going on? Get hosed. Still enjoying it a lot though, though Nakia better not go all pouty and sulky on us.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I want more Zoe. How are they supposed to fall in love, if she's not even around all that much?

Did they fall in love? I thought she gently lets her down and they simply become besties instead and Zoe eventually finds someone else...

Admittedly, I checked out after GWW left the book, does it happen later on?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Until the DoDC guy ordered the stand down and pinned it all on one bad apple, I figured they actually were laying the groundwork for an eventual segue into them going down the Sentinels/rounding people up route. All the Sovokia Accords stuff would go well with it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Isn’t current hot rumour that Giancarlo Esposito will be donning Cerebro and squeezing his rear end into the wheelchair?

Thinking about awesome panels like that Sauron/Spidey one you want to see homaged in live action, I think my most wanted is a homage to the Rocket mini-series from a few years back. The She-Hulk show would be ideal for it, have her in court with Matt Murdock only for him to leave her in the lurch because Elektra walks in holding up a cardboard sign saying ‘COME FIGHT SOME NINJAS’.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Olsen's spent a decade on the character, I'd have thought she'd relish leaving it for a good long while and getting back to more interesting work, have a break from floating on wires and waving her hands about.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Barry Convex posted:

fyi there are some mildly spoilery set photos from Ironheart out now, including a look at the armor (or one of them, anyway), and confirmation that Anthony Ramos is playing The Hood

Gah. This is one film/series where I will be ecstatic if they kill the off villain as conclusively and brutally as possible because goddamn, that is the lamest and most unlikable bad guy of all time. Sucks for Anthony Ramos that he's playing him, even Paste-Pot Pete is more respectable.

Go on, Riri, waste his rear end.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m legitimately trying make a nuanced comment about how my thoughts on believing women when they save they move through a hostile world, but I’m super high so this is the best I can do:

I’d don’t live in a world where there are all these unpredictable gently caress monsters running around. When I leave my house I don’t have worry about being accosted by a creature that is half again my size and twice my strength and it wants to stab my body with a throbbing appendage. I don’t have to worry about being accidentally beaten to death while getting meat stabbed. I don’t worry about the parasite deposited in my guts if I survive. Some of the giant gently caress monsters are actually quite friendly, but you can’t trust them because acting friendly is a proven meat-stab strategy. Also, the gently caress monsters wrote laws that say I exist to be meat-stabbed. That’s not my lived experience.

So I can’t really comment with any authority.

lmao, how did you write this poo poo without the cringe curling you up so bad you collapse in on yourself? Like I get what you were going for but that is the most embarrassing and terminally online way to try and say it.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I figured it out halfway through my last post, but Blonsky didn't even get Hulk blood- he got some voodoo remnant of the super soldier serum. He then double dosed and it turned him into a monster for no loving reason, there's your internal consistency. Nobody else called that, though, 'twas pretty weak

Blonsky double doses the super soldier serum *then* demands Sterns pump him up with the blood he'd extracted from Bruce. He does have Hulk blood, he doesn't turn into a monster "for no reason".

Anyway, the show's fun, probably the most enjoyable first ep any of these series have had yet. Bring on the lawyering, and Mary being a jerk to Jen any chance she gets.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

“Everyone being better at dealing with hulking out than the Hulk” is the most comics accurate thing the MCU has done in its existence.

Word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rarity posted:

...They're cousins

Seriously. These oddballs are crazy.