Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

The Black Stones posted:

Well they need to make sure they state that it’s more like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer because Andromeda had multiplayer as well and nobody talks about it. Why? Because it was awful garbage.

They jacked up the stats of all the enemies so encounters took forever so that you would be incentivized to buy loot boxes for better gear. All it did was make it a gigantic slog of “no thanks. This sucks” and I peaced out after a day or two of trying the multiplayer.

Andromeda sucked so much.

Andromeda's multiplayer got quite a bit better once they did a thorough rebalance, the 1.0 state made way too many weapons and powers feel completely anemic and ineffectual, higher level gear didn't even help much at that point. But the mobility and much better feeling engine really were nice once they made it possible to do meaningful damage to things.

it's mainly let down by support ending much sooner than ME3 so there were no new maps and new powers to keep it fresh, the steady improvements ME3MP got over it's lifetime made it's initial bumps like desync problems and Vanguards being nearly unusable something easy to move past. One of the final powers to get added to MEAMP was Warp of all things so they didn't even get a chance to add anything funky like late ME3, the Human Kineticist was a rare joy of a class and it's a shame they didn't get to do more like it.

That said, an unfixed mistake was they polluted the gear table with way too much junk turning it into a grind that ME3 never was, the starter weapons drop fifty times each instead of ten because of minor variations counting as separate weapons, and characters drop twenty instead of ten. It actually dis-incentivized spending money because your chances of getting something meaningful with it were that much lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

What does it even mean when they turn every Geth into an individual? Like, are there suddenly thousands of Geth granted individual sentience in each server? Are the processes forcibly amalgamated into groups of however many you need to make something like Legion? Is each Geth platform turned into an individual? It strikes me as a pretty horrible thing to do to the Geth. Like if someone turned all of your brain cells into a separate, sentient organism.

You're forgetting the part where the Geth 'brain' got blown to pieces by the Quarians. It's the entire reason why they turned to the Reapers and why the code from Legion was needed for their continued survival, the Consensus was shattered

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

frajaq posted:

your wife stole Alliance military design secrets under your nose, how do you feel

I'd have given them to her instantly if she'd asked and I absolutely picked that option in ME2 where you tell her to have fun picking apart the SR-2's new technology to spite Jacob

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Baron von der Loon posted:

Is there a write-up anywhere about them changing the ending, because their original plans were leaked? From what I remember, there was a Final Hours of ME3 thing, is it in there?

It's not a thing. An XBox Live closed beta leaked a few months before release that contained older drafts of the script in it's files, and the ending choices are identical other than superficial wording. Synthesis was described as "become one with the Reapers" and considered the 'perfect' ending. The starchild was there just referred to as 'Guardian'

The major changes were on Thessia, where Javik would be captured by Kai Leng instead of the Prothean VI, and there would have been a Virmire survivor confrontation there instead of during Udina's coup attempt. There was also at some point a forced death decision after losing the boss fight where you had to choose between saving Liara or the Virmire survivor.

Dark Energy was never the 'original' ending, it was dumped as an idea well before ME2 was finished.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Funky Valentine posted:

My personal belief is that they changed this because they realized that no one would pick the Virmire loser over Liara in any circumstance.

The older revisions also had the Virmire survivor showing up on Thessia with Kai Leng and initially on his side until you convince them otherwise, which is like -10000 likability points for them

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Pattonesque posted:

I was always weirded out by their insistence on synthesis as the preferable ending because like ... I do not want to learn to coexist with omnigenocidal immortal space monsters tvym

Control being the paragon ending makes sense because it's the obvious paragon solution - saving everyone by saving the Reapers from themselves, getting rid of the thing that compelled them to be monsters, turning their vast knowledge and powers into tools of good rather than evil. After all every Reaper was once a race of people, they're victims too. Except Harbringer, the Leviathans getting juiced was karma.

Synthesis is that but with wonky galactic transhumanism bolted on where everyone is now a bit organic and a bit technological and there's universal mutual understanding so differences or misunderstandings are no longer a thing. I guess? It's a happily ever after solution that is anything but perfect when you start thinking about it and it's consequences. Joker's living hat and sentient Husks are probably the least of it.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

neonchameleon posted:

Even that wasn't EA's fault other than as enablers. Bioware actively went to EA and asked for Frostbite back in 2011. EA gave it to them - and gave them support for years. Part of the point of Mass Effect: Inquisition was to learn to use the engine - and EA supported them. EA gave less support teaching them to use Frostbite over time and for Andromeda and Anthem because they had other projects, and because the Inqisition tools were meant to support the rest of Bioware's games and other games were switching to Frostbite.

Possibly the most mind boggling thing to come out of the Anthem postmortem and a major reason why people should stop it with the "EA made them do it" boogeyman thing was the reveal that Bioware Edmonton deliberately discarded all the Frostbite tools and systems they created for Inquisition and Andromeda and started again from a stock build of the engine

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If I remember right the thing that caught the Turians off guard is that humanities space forces are designed exclusively around being highly mobile strike teams, so they conquered human colonies with ease because they only had token defenses only to get hit with devastating hit-and-run attacks on their supply lines and weaknesses driving them back out. It's why in ME3 the Reapers take Earth almost immediately, most of Earths forces left rather than stand and fight head on.

I think humans are also meant to be punching above their weight because they use more automation and AI technology than any other major power, so their power is growing fast despite their raw numbers being low compared to the others

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

BexGu posted:

Lol it's not even space "racisim" from Ashley. She just believes that when push come to shove the various species will look after their own instead of truly helping each other out. And guess what! ME3 proves her right, espically with asari secretly hiding prothean artifacts to get a leg up instead of sharing the knowledge.

She also openly respects the Salarians from like her first scene and likes Quarians because she finds them relatable and thinks their treatment proves her mistrust of the greater powers.

Calling her a 'racist' has always been super reductive.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

TheCenturion posted:

Isn’t it a war asset in ME3 if you save it in ME1?

If you save the Destiny Ascension it's the first allied ship to come through the relay to Earth for the final battle, which was solid payoff when I played it

...but I think it's just replaced by an Asari dreadnought which is a 90% identical ship model if you don't save it. Sucks for all those human supremacists out there who let the council die I guess!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
A couple of your mid ME2 combat upgrades are just casual unbreakable bones and bulletproof skin modifications

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Despite the name, Control has absolutely nothing in common with what TIM was trying to do

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kurieg posted:

I love singularity in 1, and if there's one thing Andromeda did well it's make Singularity feel good to use again.

Any future Mass Effect game that doesn't have Andromeda's version of Pull-Throw is instantly a failure

Also funnily enough what helped bring back Singularity as good was not including Warp since that had superseded it in utility in pretty much any circumstance

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
PC ME1 has a little jank but at this point the persisting annoyance would be dealing with the DLC for the Steam version

If you have that you should probably just copy the cd key over to Origin and run it from there

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Doctor Nutt posted:

Wrex's tortured scream as he hunts you down on the Citadel after he figures out that you've sabotaged the genophage and having to put him down was enough to ensure I never made those particular choice combinations ever again. Like, gently caress, god drat, give Wrex's VA an award for that.

The way Shepard acts when all Renegade choices are taken on that path is the most despicable thing you can do in the game, much worse than killing Mordin

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Context is kinda important

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1365052871507640325

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The only acceptable reporter punching path is to accept your fate in ME3 instead of taking that cowardly, scene ruining renegade interrupt

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
They did Emily Wong dirty by killing her off between games instead of letting her have the role IGN lady took

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

If there was going to be a Mass Effect battlefield it was never going to be BioWare making it, you people are crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ7JWObksqs

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Pattonesque posted:

yeah it's this. One thing that was really great about ME3 was how they sold the power of different weapons through sound effects and gunfeel. The best example I can think of is when you fire the Saber (the big fuckoff marksman rifle you get during Miranda's mission) it kicks like a mule and has an incredible sound, like it's a railgun or something.

ME3 has good headshot feedback too when using those kinds of weapons

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I liked whichever human SMG it was that hit really hard and fired really quickly but with a huge kick, and pairing it with the Turian soldier ability to have increased fire rate and lowered recoil temporarily. Stupid fun but nearly unusable on platinum.

The Hurricane is insanely good on a Turian soldier with max level stability mods and armour piercing ammo, when you fire it from cover with Marksman active it is a laser pointer that eats things alive

You're basically a walking A-10, brrrrrrrt

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Engineer is not a support class from ME2 onwards. Engineer is an elemental space wizard here to electrocute, burn, poison, freeze, explode, and just maybe shoot everything that tickles your fancy.

Likewise with Sentinel - it's basically described as a soldier/powers middle ground, except it's not mediocre at everything compared to the specialized classes, it's still really damned good at everything. Like most classes, it's also bonkers in ME3.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I'd play the opening of 3 over the opening of 2 any time, Earth escape and Mars both have more engaging things going on than the slow walk through the burning Normandy and the generic lab escape.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
You may not be able to kill him but I'm pretty sure even picking the evil option to leave David with him so his experiment continues has an interrupt to pistol whip him and shame him for what he's done?

It most definitely was not a "story about a sympathetic abuser that's mostly interested in the abuser’s feelings and experience"

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Well, nobodies perfect.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Also hopefully they've updated ME3 so "sprint" isn't the default & only movement animation because of console memory limitations.

Is... is that actually a thing on console? Because it certainly isn't on PC.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I have something around the 900 hour mark in multiplayer and have 3 of the 21 ultra rare guns maxed

Amppelix posted:

Bit of a long shot here but does anyone know if, when i pick the "25% sniper rifle clip size increase" skill in andromeda, a 3-shot clip would be increased to 4? Does it round that up?

Is the rifle you're using the Viper? Because that's the only 3-shot rifle I can easily think of.

Because on my character that's 4 shots with the 25% sniper rifle clip size skill, and 5 shots when I switch to Soldier profile with it's additional +20%

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Amppelix posted:

i was thinking about the black widow but that was for the future, i'm not using any of those right now. i have a vintage heatsink'd widow (which feels deliciously cheesy, by the way, even though i don't think it's actually OP at all)

Huh, somehow I'd never developed the BW. Anyway, just did and it checks out, the skills raise it to 4/5 shots as well.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
DAI is just an all round bad time compared to Andromeda. It's like an MMO in singleplayer form, and absolutely not a good one.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The main hurdle of the opening hours of Andromeda is it was the first Mass Effect game in a while where there's no save import, and no "we'll just start your character at level 20 so you can pick up close to where you left off" bonus those came with.

Meaning you're stuck starting with a Level 1 character with only 1-2 powers and Level 1 junk guns for a while. It makes narrative sense but doesn't really hit you with satisfying feeling action for a while. And the early-release preview of the game people got their first impressions from only contained that part!

g0del posted:

I think the only thing I found anything like it (in that it played differently than everything else, not that it ping-pongs around like a vanguard) was when I unlocked the Geth Juggernaut in MP and figured out how to melee tank with it. After spending so much time hiding from Banshees, suddenly being able to facetank them was really fun.

As well as being a nigh unkillable damage sponge a full tank spec Juggernaut can also function as a pseudo-healer, with low cooldowns you can just throw turrets at your teammates constantly to give them shield boosts. I run it specced that way and usually with Cryo ammo to slow/freeze things, it's a treat.

It's actually very satisfying to have multiple Banshees and Brutes futilely mashing against you as your team safely shoots them from a distance.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The most horrifying thing is when you instinctively try to reload cancel

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Spacebump posted:

I miss the mp to 3. Was the multiplayer in Andromeda as fun as 3?

It was released in a very poorly balanced state, was greatly improved in a major rebalance patch, but support of the game ending early meant it ended up with a lot less content than ME3MP and it never got to the place where it could start introducing more unique classes/powers (the last unique to MP power added was Warp)

The character/item pool also ended up pretty bloated compared to ME3 so it had a much more unfriendly grind.

If it had gotten ME3's level of support, I honestly think it could have been just as good if not better because I definitely enjoyed playing it while it was active but the games reception plus lack of updates to keep it fresh meant it just died out and didn't have ME3's longevity. I've tried going back to it occasionally and there's no active player base.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
103.8gb preload is up on Steam now for what it's worth

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Sankara posted:

I'd be fine if they took out punching the reporter. That was always really loving weird.

The whole thing is definitely weird but if you had to leave it intact you could greatly improve it by just removing the final Renegade interrupt in ME3, which really, really sucks.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The idea that they gave one of IGN's on screen personalities a cameo as a side character in the game to secure a favourable review is beyond inane when the game has a metacritic score of like 94

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Simone Magus posted:

One thing that kinda sticks out is how you get that shot of the Destiny Ascension and it's like, Holy balls that's a big ship, and you would think at some point in 2 or 3 you'd visit it or another ship like it and... you just never do :(

The Destiny Ascension coming through the Charon Relay in 3 is a heck yeah moment

I mean sure, probably less so to people who let it be destroyed and got generic Asari dreadnought instead but thems the breaks

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

axeil posted:

Are Thane/Jacob worth investing in as a romance option for ME2?

Firm no on Jacob.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Olanphonia posted:

I think ardat yakshi are a well-kept secret along certain Asari. Don't want the aliens to be worried about boning down with you because their brains might get fried.

The codec in either 2 or 3 outs that the Asari used their economic and political power to suppress information about the Ardat Yakshi because it would scare away outsiders. Instead of rare occurrences something like 1-2% of the entire Asari population carry the AY gene, the murderous space vampires are just the most extreme cases of it.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

bobjr posted:

Most of the recruitments make sense for the Illusive Man to push on Shepard, considering he didn't know Archangel was Garrus, but I do wonder why they thought Jack was a good idea, if only because she hates Cerberus with no clear aversion to murder.

I think it's in 3 where you find either a recording or email that outs that the entire time TIM was buttering up Shepard by surrounding them with people they'd trust and make useful rather than typical Cerberus types. It's why the Normandy is loaded with previous allies and "I have nothing against aliens, I just care about humanity" types while Cerberus' mad scientists and racists are off elsewhere doing crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Man, the writing in ME3 is not subtle at all. It reads like it presumes the player never played 1 or 2 cuz it just ladels on the exposition in the most obvious way.

When Bioware released their stats back in the day, nearly 65% of ME3 players hadn't played the first two.