Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It's like someone flipped a switch when the teleprompter part ended Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao that libs are gloating that the prosecution in fulton county decided to not have fani go under oath again means that she cooked those chuds well-done yesterday & nothing more needs to be said, period!

when instead it's p. apparent her testimony yesterday was one of the worst decisions she could've made & her team is now (understandably) like "nah, we're good."

the judge might keep her team on the case for political reasons or otherwise but that was one of the more bizarre courtroom displays I've seen, and that's with my having listened to most of the oj simpson criminal trial.

Willis' defiant afternoon on the stand

What unfolded on Thursday is extremely rare in American courtrooms. The district attorney who has charged Trump with racketeering went under oath to defend her ethics and answer personal questions about her relationship with Wade.

The risks could not be greater, and Willis' credibility is on the line.

Things quickly went off the rails. Willis didn't act much like a traditional witness and was more like a prosecutor, arguing with the defense attorneys, raising objections, making legal arguments and even having exchanges with the judge. She even raised her voice at one point.

This led to a few rebukes from McAfee, who urged her and other attorneys in the courtroom to maintain "professionalism" and to not "talk over each other."

Willis repeatedly accused some of the defense attorneys of peddling lies - before and after the judge's admonishment.

"You've lied in this. ... I think you lied right here," Willis said to attorney Ashleigh Merchant, pointing to copies of filings that raised accusations of self-dealing and nepotism.

'I'm not on trial,' Willis says

Willis seized several opportunities to defend herself.

The district attorney had fought efforts to make her appear, both in Wade's ongoing divorce proceedings and in the hearing on Thursday, up until the moment she came into the room to take the stand. She said at the beginning of her testimony that she was "very anxious" to defend herself, "so I ran to the courtroom."

"You think I'm on trial," Willis said, in her sharpest pushback of the day. "These people are on trial for trying to steal an election in 2020," she added, pointing toward the table of attorneys representing defendants in the criminal case. "I'm not on trial, no matter how hard you try to put me on trial."

She later slammed the defense attorneys, calling them "confused" and "intrusive."

"Ms. Merchant's interests are contrary to democracy, not to mine," Willis said, attacking the attorney for Trump campaign attorney Michael Roman, who is accused of playing a leading role in the multi-state "fake electors" plot to subvert the Electoral College.

Wade and Willis describe using cash for reimbursements

Wade and Willis have offered a simple explanation for why there's essentially no paper trail to back up his claims they split expenses: Willis used cash.

Credit card statements submitted in Wade's divorce proceedings show he paid for two flights for them in recent years, to San Francisco and Miami. They also took lavish trips to Belize, the Bahamas and some Caribbean cruises.

When pressed on whether he paid for Willis' travel when they vacationed together, Wade said that Willis reimbursed him for a flight "in cash." Wade said he did not have receipts for all of the times Willis reimbursed him for trips - pushing back against the allegations from the defense side that Willis was essentially getting kickbacks from him in the form of vacations.

"I did not deposit the cash in my account," Wade replied, smirking at times.

Defense attorney Craig Gillen, who represents one of the fake electors, grilled Wade on what he would do with the cash reimbursements - in at least one case, thousands of dollars.

"You don't have a single solitary deposit slip to corroborate or support any of your allegations that you were paid by Ms. Willis in cash?" Gillen shot back, raising his voice slightly.

"No sir," Wade said, to which Gillen replied: "Not a single solitary one?"

"Not a one," Wade responded.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Willa Rogers posted:

she testified that she brought $2500 cash to belize to repay him on the spot, lol.

lol jfc

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nothus posted:

It's amazing that they entrusted their entire smear operation to these incompetent corrupt poo poo heads

It's a loving insane fumble, but makes me think maybe the DNC really does run entirely on machine politics so it didn't even occur to them to do otherwise?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Who the gently caress is this person Ezra Klein is describing? Because it sure as hell isnt' Joe Biden.

Get through the first 1:30 challenge.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Zerg Mans posted:

Maserati SUV

Is this an American phenomenon?

Why would you drive an SUV made by a sports car manufacturer instead of a sports car? Why do they even make SUVs?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Karach posted:

have you ever met rich idiots, unknown poster?

Yes, but if you're going to drive a Maserati, wouldn't you want to drive a Maserati, as opposed to a RAV4 with a Maserati badge?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

SixteenShells posted:

All the car companies are making SUVs and big trucks because the larger and heavier the vehicle is, the easier it is to meet emissions standards.

That seems counterintuitive?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mcmagic posted:

Hyundai's shouldn't cost 50 grand.

The i30N is the best hot hatch around that price.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nichael posted:

what this even mean

Air Force Ones are a Nike sneaker that has limited editions that are very collectable, as well as vintage AF1s often going for a high price. For this reason, there's a big market for knock offs.

Air Force One is also the plane the American president flies on.

So they're saying the closest Trump will get to the presidency is the knockoff AF1s that can be found on the convention floor.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nichael posted:

okay but he already was on air force one, and the last time they taunted him with never being president, he schlonged them

It's a tweet made for Adam Friedland type dudes who will VBNMW and were really into this series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CynWJbREA8g

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

No, no, see the United Kingdom was a democracy. Bengal and Ireland were colonies. Entirely different.

Colonies of who, you ask? Next question.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

This is by no means a great measure, but the instagrams of people on Broadway who were all in with the Biden-Harris stuff in 2020, to the point of it being extremely cringey, are dead silent on this year's election.

I don't know if you remember how Broadway was about the 2020 election and covid, but, being the most high profile theatre kids in the world, it was super visible. That makes the absence of anything at all pretty noteworthy imo.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Democrats killing #MeToo to elect Joe Biden, and then rushing to bring it back for the sake of Israel is very funny, ngl.

But considering they have just unsealed more testimony by Virginia Giuffre that Bill Clinton was involved with Epstein, Hillary should not be setting herself up as the believer of all women.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The idea of a universal set of values based on moral judgement instead of focus grouping is alien to them lol

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Willa Rogers posted:

my favorite wikileaks was the citi guy spitballing obama's cabinet before the election, most of which appointments came into fruition a few months later.

Excuse me, the only thing Obama did wrong was wear a tan suit.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

uber_stoat posted:

Obama gets to hang out with the Illuminati all day now and that's the best way to win at life if you're completely amoral outside of inventing a way to become immortal.

Finkelstein's description of him* as a howling void of narcissism is genuinely frightening.

*Which is extensively researched and full of citations, is the crazy thing.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I've had to have things bespoke tailored before, and still like British tailoring and boots, but if every single thing the American president wore was bespoke, I feel like political attacks would be too easy. Pragmatically, wearing "attainable" clothes is probably more comparable with the image Americans have of their society than say what's worn in House of Lords or by the Royal Family.

Realistically, not everything you wear in a workday needs to be an Eton shirt and Sanders and Sanders shoes.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

In more Broadway gossip, the new Glinda in Wicked, Alexandra Socha, is an outspoken Zionist - even by NYC theatre standards - and there's been a bit of unease about her casting.

Probably they'll just tell her to tone it down on social media, but it's the first time I've seen theatre kids care about Palestine when someone is cast for a role, so.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBD-U3nypfE

I don't know if you can cringe to death, but this as less than 2k views after 3 days, where in 2020 every person in the arts was posting about the upcoming election and getting a huge response.

I saw SIX in Toronto and thought it was awful, so they were starting from a bad place here, but still. If Biden has lost Broadway, he's lost entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNcEVYq2qUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrpMeLE5Xw

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Feb 19, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Best Friends posted:

Also, trying to understand why a being of pure evil like Putin (or any other Russian) does anything means you sympathize with them and it’s insanely problematic

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

VoicesCanBe posted:

I feel like even by the criteria of managing the affairs of empire, which is how I'm assuming those historians are ranking the Presidents (and they are, because they're liberals, and even subconsciously that's how liberals would judge which President is "good"), then Biden should be easily in the lower half

Because Biden is speed running hegemonic collapse right now.

Liberals have this weird thing where nothing is apparently Biden's fault.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

VoicesCanBe posted:

Bias is only something that evil tankies have. These liberal historians are simply searching for The Truth in an enlightened, non-biased fashion.

Doris Kearns Goodwin giving the Obama administration brain poisoning is kinda funny too.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mcmagic posted:

He’s always has been a liberal zionist.

See, that ideology has never made sense to me.

First, the premise is that Dual Loyalty is not only true, but good.

But then, if Israel is the only place in the world for the Jewish people, and you’re Jewish, shouldn’t you live there?

It’s never made sense to me because supposing a place is your homeland and the only place in the world you belong and feel safe… and therefore it’s “unique character must be preserved” (apartheid)… it doesn’t make sense for you to then not live there, right?

To be a United States senator but claim Israel is the only place in the world Jewish people have a say in the state or whatever… doesn’t add up.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Feb 20, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

loquacius posted:

but if they get rid of laws that "subsidize single motherhood" that number will go up! presumably via shotgun wedding. sounds like a wonderful future

There's a very interesting book that gets into this but the shortest possible answer is that the conservatives spent the 80s - 2000s attributing issues in African American marriages/families caused by poverty to race or "culture" (race) but, when white people started to get immiserated, and the exact same trends appeared at the same rates, overlapping almost identically with trends that began among black people in the 60's - because clearly this is an economic phenomenon - it kind of... broke... conservative rhetoric on the subject.

Really interesting stuff but conservative rhetoric on marriage is a dead end without a racial scapegoat.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Telluric Whistler posted:

The "Liberal Democracy is the Greatest Thing To Ever Exist" campaign has broken a lot of brains and that's why Dems have been able to present "Vote" as being just as meaningful as "Healthcare"

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Leo posted:

What book?

Marriage Markets

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mcmagic posted:

So groceries are expensive in all "free" countries? I don't get it....

Free Markets make Free Societies or whatever the axiom is

Because they believe that The Market is both Providence (the will of Mammon god) and the will of “the people” (consumer choice), they see being able to buy a selection of products and being able to express democratic will as more or less the same thing.

It’s why “progressive” liberals can be so insidious with having a libertarian streak, because the solution to any societal problem can be, (and under the nudge theory, must be) limited to deregulating and commodifying something and letting the most perfect fairness of The Market do its work.

“People should be free to choose X” sounds good and liberatory and progressive, and that’s how Democrats in particular talk about every single social issue - access to - but that’s completely ideological. Thinking of society as a series of markets where people just need to be free to rationally decide what’s in their best interest and somehow that will lead to the common good or whatever is insanely baked into American culture at this point, but … I mean, that poo poo’s not real.

So things are expensive because people are so free to choose that the prices reflect what the market will bear, and they really want to pay more because they want stuff so much - the prices reflect how much they demand it.

Instead of an authoritarian system that unfairly limits what people who really want things can pay, (because you can only express how much you want things by spending money, there is no other way) free societies fairly let everyone compete and express their preferences on a free market.

Because the prices are inherently good and fair, a society that allows people who want things more to pay more is good.

It’s all babybrained nonsense imo

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 09:53 on Feb 21, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I love the pefectly smooth and spherical liberal brain

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Poverty and Economic Marginality in Eighteenth-Century America

lol that New York in the 1700's seems to have been a better society than in 2024, though the parts highlighted in red remain the same.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

As a result of these more recent efforts, a fragile de-escalation had taken hold by mid-2023. Iranian proxies had stopped attacking American forces, and Tehran had hit the pause button on high-level uranium enrichment. In return, Washington unfroze some Iranian funds and agreed to a prisoner exchange that took place in September of that year. Significantly, this relatively successful round of talks paved the way for an even more ambitious round of negotiations that was meant to take place in Oman on Oct. 18.

And here’s where the monster Tehran has created began wreaking havoc on its creator. Against the backdrop of an American election year, and with Iran widely viewed as being complicit in the Hamas atrocities but later also the aggressive actions of Hezbollah and the Houthis, serious diplomatic engagement between Washington and Tehran became impossible to sustain. The Oman talks were quickly canceled — with little prospect of their being revived any time soon.

To continue with the analogy, negotiations with the U.S. that might have decisively secured Iran’s nuclear program collapsed because the monster Tehran created has a mind of its own and, like Dr. Frankenstein’s monster, Tehran’s monsters are hell-bent on inflicting pain and suffering on those they believe to be the source of their own pain and suffering — irrespective of the concerns of their Iranian patron.

Thus the Hamas atrocities of Oct. 7. Thus the Houthi efforts to disrupt Red Sea shipping. Thus Hezbollah’s so far limited — but potentially far more dangerous — rocket attacks on northern Israel. All of which were or are being driven by the respective agendas of the members of the axis of resistance, not by Iran. And thus, ultimately, Washington’s decision to pause — or perhaps indefinitely suspend — negotiations that might have led to a modus vivendi with Tehran that would secure the regime and open the door to greater prosperity for the Iranian people.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Nudge and it’s consequences (Obama reading it) have been a disaster for all mankind

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Willa Rogers posted:

Last June, a senior Secret Service agent with the Presidential Protection Division thanked staff members for their patience during the string of dog bites – and issued a warning.

“The recent dog bites have challenged us to adjust our operational tactics when Commander is present – please give lots of room (staying a terrain feature away if possible),” the supervisor wrote. He also suggested that doing so could run counter to their primary protection jobs: “We will continue to keep (redacted) in our sight but must be creative to ensure our own personal safety.”

Commander created a pretty funny conundrum there.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjONc43KsEo

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Willa Rogers posted:

:hmmyes:

Trump May Be In Early Stages Of Alzheimers

According to psychologist Dr. John Gartner, formerly of Johns Hopkins University Medical School, Donald Trump's slurring and inability to sometimes formulate complete sentences appears to be a sign of growing dementia and possibly early stages of Alzheimer’s.

In an interview with Salon's Chauncey DeVega, Gartner bluntly stated the former president is "showing gross signs of dementia" and fellow experts are not pointing out the warning signs nearly enough.

According to Gartner, "Some examples of Trump’s non-words: Beneficiaries becomes 'benefishes.' Renovations become 'renoversh.' Pivotal became 'pivobal.' Obama became 'obamna.' Missiles became 'mishiz.' Christmas became 'Crissus.' Bipartisan became 'bipars.' This is a fundamental breakdown in the ability to use language. If you were talking to your father on the phone and he did this you would think he is having a stroke. There is no healthy older person who speaks that way."

I was wondering why discussion over breakfast today was that Trump is badly suffering from dementia.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Can you complain to democracy's manager?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Rectal Death Alert posted:

the response to the president being objectively unfit for office and needing removed with the 25th amendment due to extremely obvious late stage dementia is for his party to unify under the message of "I know you are but what am I?"

It's an interesting tactic since it worked on liberals immediately.

Like you said, it's uncanny that it worked immediately and they're unified in perfect lockstep. I think that post about Trump's dementia was the top trending on reddit today.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Why is our democracy more important than those peoples' lives?". So good.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Uphill: A Memoir

An empowering, unabashedly bold memoir by the Atlantic journalist and former ESPN SportsCenter coanchor about overcoming a legacy of pain and forging a new path, no matter how uphill life’s battles might be.

Jemele Hill’s world came crashing down when she called President Trump a “white supremacist”; the White House wanted her fired from ESPN, and she was deluged with death threats. But Hill had faced tougher adversaries growing up in Detroit than a tweeting president. Beneath the exterior of one of the most recognizable journalists in America was a need―a calling―to break her family’s cycle of intergenerational trauma.

Born in the middle of a lively routine Friday night Monopoly game to a teen mother and a heroin-addicted father, Hill constantly adjusted to the harsh realities of not only her own childhood but the inherited generational pain of her mother and grandmother. Her escape was writing.

Hill’s mother was less than impressed with the brassy and bold free expression of her diary, but Hill never stopped discovering and amplifying her voice. Through hard work and a constant willingness to learn, Hill rose from newspaper reporter to columnist to new heights as the coanchor for ESPN’s revered SportsCenter. Soon, she earned respect and support for her fearless opinions and unshakable confidence, as well as a reputation as a trusted journalist who speaks her mind with truth and conviction.

In Jemele Hill’s journey Uphill, she shares the whole story of her work, the women of her family, and her complicated relationship with God in an unapologetic, character-rich, and eloquent memoir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

spacemang_spliff posted:

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1761800163834921045

LBJ used the power of his office to push through landmark legislation that would electorally cost the democrats but hugely benefit black people. People hate Biden because he looks at a problem and his solution is "someone should do something about that". Biden would be sailing to reelection if had done something, anything, to improves peoples lives. The fact that the only tool democrats have is vote scolding should be a huge alarm for them but all they can do is make tortured "its your job to vote for us" arguments.

It's very funny comparing Biden to the loving master of the senate.