Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
WWE will book their weekly shows repetitively no matter what, yes, but the brand split FORCES them to do that by deliberately spreading the roster thin and cannibalizing the midcard to prop up a second "world" title. I was never for bringing the brand split back to begin with, but it seems to have helped their TV deals, so it's probably here to stay at least for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
It's only appropriate that WWE have a draft the month before Survivor Series, the Pro Bowl of PPVs.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I'd forgotten Riddick Moss was still even with the company (or still existed TBH), and I literally once attended class with the dude when I was in college. (It was a class with a LOT of people in it and we never talked, but still - he was the middle linebacker on the football team, we all knew who he was).

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 2, 2021

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Just gonna throw this out there as my take on the two standard Fed company lines: "the brand is the star" and "this is storytelling, not wrestling" are mutually incompatible statements. By definition, the characters need to matter if you're telling a story - you need to be invested in the heroes and villains. If you make a deliberate point of ensuring that all the major players are interchangeable bums whose absence has no negative impact, you are not actually interested in telling stories, because you are deliberately fostering an environment in which nothing that happens has emotional weight. You're just having some guys wrestle some other guys with no special meaning behind it.

This is not the only stupid thing about the whole "the brand is the star" thing, but I think the other dumb things about it are too obvious to even merit a discussion.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 2, 2021

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Cageside Seats pointing out the WWE women's tag "division" effectively doesn't exist since there are no challengers.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2...ipley-nikki-ash

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

xbilkis posted:

NXT has some merit as the most mind-melting wresting show on TV. They just need to constantly produce new characters, run a half-dozen three minute matches per hour, change matches on the fly and job out established talent to keep the viewer wondering “What the gently caress is this”

Keep progressing the brand until every match is between a character from a rejected Conan sketch and a former offensive lineman called Kronk McCrunchen.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Drakkel posted:

So whose gonna play the masturbating bear?

The CAW-looking dude from the first episode main event whose name escapes me.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Drakkel posted:

Von Wagner???

That sounds vaguely correct.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

We took Bo Dallas away to live on a farm where he can play with all the other Rotundas.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

xbilkis posted:

I’ve had this thought before, but it’s funny that NXT 2.0’s new youth-oriented edgy programming mostly entailed talking about sex and showing off attractive women, when savvy programmers know that there is nothing Zoomers find more abhorrent than the idea of sexualized media

I'm not sure if that's true except for the very most terminal cases of online brain. I'm pretty sure horny teens are still horny. But I don't have any friends that aren't haunted by the grim spectre of time, so I'm not certain.

I can say with a little more confidence that I don't think mid-90s Superstars with revealing tights and boner jokes is what they're jonesing to see.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Davros1 posted:

Like Fox will let them move whichever Paul brother is feuding with Kevin Owens. (Is it Zippy?)

Just make up a new Paul brother and hope they don't notice. It worked for the Andersons.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Davros1 posted:

I think if teens are that horny, they have better options today than a WWE show.

That they do.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

rotinaj posted:

I didn’t vote for him

Strange septuagenarians, slathering their steak with ketchup on their desks, distributing swords is no basis for determining a world champion.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Alaois posted:

gonna pay diabetus to say "I'm the baddest bitch in the business" in the ridley voice

Nah, Ridley's gotta be the Tony Pepperoni guy.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Blaise330 posted:

AEW gonna need a 3rd tv show to have an even match with NXT. Maybe at 4 AM on discovery channel or something

NXT has already lost to multiple episodes of Rhodes to the Top.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Alaois posted:

they called becky, charlotte and sasha "the submission sorority" for like 2 days

Like, on purpose, or did they not realize the implications?

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Rarity posted:

TNA had a stable called Sports Entertainment Xtreme

The Shane Twins also wrestled in TNA as "The Johnsons," first names Dick and Rod. They wore full-body flesh-colored tights, including masks.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

mooseinfants posted:

I'll say it, the KotR coronation segment was boring and way too long. I don't care how badly Xavier wanted to be KotR or how cool he is. Give me more matches. The best women's division in the world had 0 matches tonight.

Well, yeah, Impact airs on Thursdays.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Tampa Bae posted:

end the brand split, that's what's holding the wwe back. we definitely won't see the same match every week on both shows

It certainly wouldn't fix any of the Fed's problems to get rid of it, but a hypothetical GOOD version of WWE from the Bizarro Universe probably doesn't have a brand split and just books Smackdown the same way AEW books Rampage.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

is pepsi ok posted:

Free Gran Metalik.

The CWC feels like it was a million years ago.

It felt like an entirely different company was producing it at the time. It feels like it came from an entirely different universe now.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
https://twitter.com/BossMoz/status/1456417114848333835

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Fish Of Doom posted:

3 hours is a long time to fill when you only have like 10 guys on the show.

Nick Khan's dream of Raw being the same two guys hurriedly changing into different outfits grows closer and closer to reality.

poo poo, if they just had Big E do a one-man show some week I might actually watch that.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
WWE turning a big dial that says "layoffs" and turning back toward potential buyers like a contestant on The Price Is Right.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
https://twitter.com/Gavin4L/status/1461532455903637511

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

xbilkis posted:

They’re going to do a Twin Peaks: The Return Part 8 thing with the Dwayne egg serving a similar role as the golden Laura Palmer orb and everyone who says the WWF can’t do long-term storytelling will have (non-Dwayne) egg on their face

Von Wagner will be the Fireman

BOB is clearly another guy who had his last name taken away by Vince.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
https://homestarrunner.com/wheresanegg

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Vertical Lime posted:

nxt got a .15

rampage still did better than that

I'm pretty sure NXT 2.0 lost to every single episode of Rhodes to the Top so far, so it's not surprising they'd lose to Rampage, even a holiday episode that did its worst numbers ever.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I just read the HIAC 2019 GDT for the first time. Incredible.

This was inspired by some passing discourse about how that main event was the last straw that legitimately caused a lot of people to stop watching for good, especially since AEW was a fresh option at the time. Wild that RAW was getting like 0.77 demos at the end of 2019.

I had been watching less and less frequently before tapping out for good after Brock squashed Kofi, which was *checks notes* two whole days before the Seth-Fiend HIAC match.

Jesus Christ, both in one loving weekend.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
The hilarious thing is, that first clip where Brock goads Sami into having the match tonight actually came off as pretty entertaining, and then it leads to him standing in the ring for 30 minutes to lose in less time than it takes to melt shredded cheese in the microwave.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 4, 2021

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

D.N. Nation posted:

I'd listen to a million Nikki "I am a loser failing in chasing her dreams, please like me" promos before hearing one word come out of Joe Gacy

e: sorry for double-post

I see a lot of dumb clips from current WWE programming posted here, but nothing as actively repellant as Joe Gacy. It's not even that I'm offended by it, it is just so completely the opposite of anything I could even theoretically find entertaining that I feel like it's physically pushing my eyes away.

I would argue that, as one of the marquee new faces of a rebrand that was intended to draw in a younger audience but has in fact drawn fewer under-49s than Rhodes to the Top, Joe Gacy represents a much more profound failure than whatever thought process led to that stupid doll-winking-at-Doudrop segment. You're trying to draw in Millennials and Gen-Z and you trot out the most Boomer poo poo imaginable. The Fed's creative process is permafucked.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

beggar posted:

Marijuana Sexpest Klub

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
So the current answer to the question "Why does WWE just keep dusting off Brock Lesnar over and over again in the Year of Our Lord 2021?" currently appears to be "Because he is legitimately a thousand times more entertaining than any of their regular performers."

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 11, 2021

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

1glitch0 posted:

This morning I thought about this out of the blue:

https://youtu.be/xqixTKzByPc?t=58

As terrible as Raw is today we forget how many utter death segments have happened over the years.

For some reason I periodically remember the time Flo Rida lost a rap battle to Bo Dallas.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

BrigadierSensible posted:

Bo Dallas was good.

I still Bo Lieve.

The best champion NXT ever had.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Cavauro posted:

is veer mahan a reference to vince mcmahon (company owner)

veencent rennedy mahan

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

zetamind2000 posted:

I can't be the only one that reads this as bimboawwe

bigboafication

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
It's a huge bummer for me. Kevin's a favorite of mine, and I would have liked to have seen him again on a show that I can actually stomach watching. But it ain't my decision to make. If you're happy where you are, don't gently caress with that happiness.

Hopefully they pay him well and don't fire him out of fuckin' nowhere.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 15, 2021

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I genuinely think RAW and Dynamite will start trading demo wins again once the latter gets to TBS, the time zone issues have significantly hamstrung Dynamite's ratings as of late

This'll be about when Monday Night Football ends, so possibly not.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Really don't think guy-who's-stood-next-to-a-tall-guy-for-the-past-however-the-gently caress-long-he-was-doing it is going to be a suitable counterweight for "up against football for the first time in its existence."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Quantum of Phallus posted:

roman v brock is about to be recycled

hunter has reached the evolutionary level above human