Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Manpons. They're tampons you jam between your cheeks to help with swamp rear end. Then you reach back and yank that sucker out like you're starting up a lawnmower or something and chuck that bad boy in the bin. MANPONS.
The ting you are describing is actually called a "muffler". At least it is by Dusty Rhodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

That's nice for them and all but it just doesn't sound like 25k is a scary amount after reading about weeks in Barcelona and honeymoons in Fiji and Dad paying for the house. I've much less sympathy than I did at the beginning.

Whilst you are right that they do seem well enough off that $25,000 won't kill them.

I would argue dealing with an emotionally abusive mother who tells her son he killed his dad after the son willingly went through surgery in order to save him. A mother in law inserting herself in the worst possible ways into her sons life. A person who uses a fake suicide attempt to spite her daughter-in-law, and then runs away on a luxury cruise when caught out. I would argue that these are the bigger problems.

And rich people have to deal with emotionally abusive arseholes too.

Unrelated Edit: re: Harvard bragging.

Is it the same with the other big posh famous American Universities? Like Yale, or Stanford(?)? Also for UK people, is it the same for Oxford or Cambridge? I once knew a girl who was going to Uni at a University IN Oxford, that was not Oxford University. She was always quick to self depreciatingly point out that she wasn't going to THE Oxford Uni.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 6, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I would also argue that the 16yo is a bit of a sook. Storming off and sulking in his bedroom coz he didn't get a car.

*puts on old man voice* When I was his age I'd have been thrilled to get a brand new gaming console for my 16th birthday. And to expect to be gifted a car when you are still a teenager reeks to me of *old man voice intensifies* the entitlement of the youth of today

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I would argue that the arsehole move is inviting a blind guy to a "movie night".

Lets do a thing that not only he can't enjoy, but then actively exclude him by shushing his girlfriend who is trying to be helpful.

Bloody blindos*, can't take them anywhere.

*I don't know any good slurs for blind people. So if you know of better, please let me know.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I genuinely do not understand short guy insecurity. Like, I get how insecurity works and how people might have gotten poo poo on for their height and why it'd be uncomfortable were someone to address it, but there's so many stories of dudes who take personal offense at people around them having faces slightly further from or closer to the ground, and it is baffling to me. Standing upright is not an attack on you, my dude, and if you ever entertain the thought that it could be, you've got some severe reevaluating to do.

I'm a short dude. And because I am lazy and clueless, I never actually knew my height for the longest time. I just told people I was 5'5" and got on with my life. So did everyone else around me. Until one day my brother said, "Hang on a second, you can't be 5'5", you're about my height, and I'm 5'7". So I measured myself against a doorframe and it turns out I am 5'6 and a half.

I tell this story because, as you say, there are heaps of insecure people for whom that 1 1/2 inches would have been a huge deal. But to me, and all my friends/family it was just a shrug.

No-one I know likes or dislikes me because of my height, and whilst I do suffer from all the grab bag of crushing self hatred issues that many goons do, being shorter than average is not one of them. And being short has never affected me in any way shape or form. I have had girlfriends taller than me, and also had a girlfriend who was shorter. And they all broke up with me for reasons other than my height.

So to the wedding guy chucking a tantrum because his mates put lifts in their shoes to be taller than him, and the other dude having a whinge because he is the shortest in the photo: both of you are insecure arseholes. And that is a greater character flaw than being less tall than some other people.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for feeling humiliated by my boyfriend’s extremely childish hobby?

Whilst I will be talking about this one specifically, I feel that this, (like a lot of other ones that come up), is a tiny petty thing that could have been avoided with the smallest of communication, or understanding.

How hard is it to say "My parents are super conservative. Can we take down the toys when they are here coz it would embarrass me?" Whilst it is his house, many people have done a lot more just to please the in laws, and it's not a huge imposition to chuck your toys in a box for a day. Even if just to keep the peace.

Also, lets say you are embarrassed by your boyfriends toy collection and your parents raise an eyebrow, or comment on them when they come over:
"That's a lot of toys for a grown man to have..."
"You're right mum. But he collects them, and they make him happy. Also some of them might be worth lots of money some day."

Bingo bango. Any normal parent, even a conservative one, would accept that as a slight quirk of their daughters manchild boyfriend, and move on with their lives.

But secretly taking the ones he doesn't notice and selling them? Or hiding the fact that you are so image conscious in front of your parents that you must hide all evidence of your boyfriends innocent hobby from them? These are not normal things to do.

And I just noticed that it wasn't even her house! They don't live together. Not saying that she would be entitled to sell his poo poo if they did, but she would have more say in how to "clean" up the apartment for her parents visiting.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

There's a lot of hostility towards "pranks" in this thread.

And with good reason, most if not all of the ones posted here are horrible nasty things that border on personal abuse.

But I will defend pranks, because there is no need for them to get such a bad name. A good prank is something fun, done to tease a friend. A joke that can be laughed at, even by the "victim" because no true harm was meant and no true harm was caused.

To use a silly ye olde school example, the unscrewing of the top of a salt shaker. Yes, the victim's meal is ruined, but a goo dhumoured prankster would allow the victim to eat half of their meal, or pay for a replacement, or make it up in some other way. Because as said before, a prank done properly is teasing between friends. People who actually like each other and mean each other no ill will. A sensible chuckle is had, and everybody moves on. Or, (and this is very important), if the victim is actually angry/sad/humiliated, then the pranker will apologize to their friend. Because as said, no harm was meant, and they do like each other.

Where this goes wrong is when arseholes see good people doing that amongst themselves and go "I can do that". But miss the point severely, and inject their arseholery into it. Also their pranks are maliciously designed to cause harm, to actively humiliate and embarrass people who expressly don't like it.

To use the example I used before, an arsehole version of that prank would be to replace the salt in the shaker with diarrhea, and when the victim pours the diarrhea onto their steak, instead of going "whoops, lets all laugh together at your mild inconvenience." as would have happened above, go "Haha, you now have to eat poo poo and possibly get an infection. You look poorly in the eyes of everyone else and thus I look better. I find this hilarious, and will act aggrieved if you don't pretend to laugh."

In short, the problem is not pranks themselves, but the arseholes doing them

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

Sidestepped the "height insecurity" hole to fall into the "penis length insecurity" chasm.

Joke's on you. I am 5'6" AND have a small penis.

Checkmate Athetits.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA for making inappropriate noises when my mother inlaw called my husband's phone at 2AM?

I, a grown man, don't want my mommy, (who "needs" to ring me in the middle of the night), to think I have sex with my wife.

Coz it's yucky. And mommy might get offended.

Seriously, she should leave this dweeb if he is so mortified by the very thought his mum might know he is loving his wife.

Also the only reason anyone should be regularly calling at 2AM is if there are some serious timezone differences. And even then, it should be arranged in advance.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA for evicting my sister and her daughters after the hid my wife's wig and embarrassed her?

"Making fun of a cancer patient until she cries" does not equal "just acting like teenagers"

gently caress those girls, and gently caress their mum for defending them. Find somewhere else to live, and leave the poor woman alone. She's going through enough already, she doesn't need the stress of insensitive family laughing at her for having the audacity to be sick.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Also, (and this is being EXTREMELY generous to her), wearing a hearing aid is an interesting thing.

She was on a 2nd date with this bloke, and liked him, so was asking him personal questions about something that she thought would be close to his heart.

Yeah she might have been going about it a bit gung ho, and the tome of said questions may have felt interrogatory.

But I feel there is quite a bit of wriggle room where she is not the arsehole. Just maybe a bit clueless, and didn't pick up on his not wanting to talk about his hearing aid.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

She should totally go in a Pik and Green striped dress. And say, "i asked several times what colour to get, and none of you gave me a straight answer. This is what i thought you meant"

And the gay brother should totally go to the stag do, but hit on the homophobic best man, and make friends with the stripper.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Piell posted:

AITA for locking the door to prevent my husband from getting involved in my job interview?

Whether the dude is intentionally tanking his wife's interviews, (He definitely is), is the secondary concern.

Who the gently caress barges in on someone elses job interview? Who feels so entitled to their wifes time, privacy, and agency, that they can barge in to a room where they know the wife is having a job interview, force their way on to the zoom, (or whatever), call and then proceed to take over the conversation?

That is multiple layers of disrespectful and awful behavior. Then you add in that he is trying to make his wife stay at home against her will, he talks for her in HER job interviews, (you know because she is HIS wife, and therefore he can speak for her whilst she is only a woman so what she says about herself is not as important/valid). His bullshit "but I'm helping!" excuse s hosed up. as well.

And whilst I don't blame the companies for not giving her a job after her husband barged his way into a job interview that was not his, (who want's to have to deal with that kind of poo poo on the regular). I would also ask what kind of interviewer lets it happen? Surely a polite but firm, "Excuse me sir, but I am interviewing (Wife's name) for a job, not you. This is personal and important. Please get off the call." Or maybe a "If this is a bad time, can I schedule a different time when we can talk to (Wife's name) in private about this job opportunity.".

Both of those are better than "Oh, our applicant's husband has appeared on a private job interview. Better let him take the questions then."

But most importantly, she should divorce the prick, and hopefully find a good job on her own.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 25, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA for going home after my fiancè told me to "sit down and shut up"?.

w

what

It's one thing to have a "thing" about using public toilets. I understand, public toilets are filthy. But it's your thing.

It's quite another to tell an adult where and when they can relieve themselves.

And if he is pissy, (pun intended) about her embarrassing him, (both by daring to use the word "pee" and/or daring to have autonomy over her own body and use facilities expressly designed for that purpose), then he can get doubly hosed. Because remember he also told a grown woman to "sit down and shut up."

Any further second that this woman stays in a relationship with this arsehole is a second of her life ruined.

Edit: About the 37 year old man whose wife sold the PS5 she bought for him.

quantumwell posted:

And apparently a useless house husband

Seriously. She mentions he is unemployed and stays at home. So not only does he chuck a tantrum and break poo poo because of a videogame, he then leaves it lying around and doesn't clean up after himself. Then expects his wife to clean up, (after her long day at work), and then buy him new poo poo to break.
gently caress this guy also.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 26, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The simple solution to that problem is to just have the boyfriend move in early.

Yeah it sucks for him, having to pay rent for 2 places for 5(?) months, but what else can you do?

Being EXTREMELY generous to the friend, maybe she thought she was being nice by giving OP 5 months to find a new place to move out into. But even so, she is in no way the victim.

OP got burned twice by the same "hey move in with me! Nah wait now I have a boyfriend, gently caress off out of it." behavior by the friend, and is entirely within her rights to leave and never look back.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Metis of the Hallways posted:

AITA for not changing my order and ordering the same thing as my brother's girlfriend at a restaurant?

So she was being weird about ordering the same dish as someone else at the table?

i.e. "I wanted to order the chicken, but now I can't because my boyfriend's brother has ordered it."?

That is stupid. A restaurant doesn't care if it has to make 2 chickens, nobody else at the table cares if you order the same as them. It is entirely her weird hang up, and OP is under no obligation to change his order because of it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

People who eat spicy food they hate because it makes them feel macho or whatever are similar to folks who will drink alcohol they don't actually like the taste of for similar reasons. Please, I'm begging you, if you think a drink is so gross and icky that you have to drink it as a "shot" and then quickly lick something to get the icky yucky taste out of your mouth just drink something you like instead? And leave the stuff you don't like to people who will actually enjoy the taste?

My "I ate food that was way too spicy for me and continued doing so" story is very similar to the OP's but without any tantrums or dates.

I, and my brother, are half Indian. And as such have a chip on our shoulders about how we can handle spicy foods better than "white" people. A mate of mine loves his spicy foods, and found an Indian restaurant near him and eventually had the chef making him stupidly hot extra extra extra spicy curries that normal people couldn't order off the menu.

Well he tells me about this, and braggadociacal arsehole that I am, I say "Pfft, I am half Indian. That will be a piece of piss for me." So he invites me and my brother out for a curry at this place.

Well it was, (and I choose my words very carefully here), motherfucking spicy. Properly hot. But my brother and I looked at each other, and just kept eating it, whilst tears were forming in our eyes, and my mate laughed at us. I was not going to be beaten by a bloody curry. Proving that "I'm X ethnicity, I can handle spicy food", means nothing when there is a chef prepared to gently caress with you for laughs.

The difference between that and the OP's story is, this is a funny story that my brother and I tell amongst ourselves. We admitted it was too hot for us, and there was no shame in it. As opposed to chucking a tantrum over an imagined slight to our fragile egos. Nor did we blame my friend for our discomfort. We said we could handle spicy foods, so all the pain was our own drat fault.

The guy OP went on a date with is a sooky baby. And not for not being able to handle spicy food. For getting his ego hurt and getting pissy about it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Brother is not the arsehole just for wanting to come around and enjoy a boys trip at the family vacation home.

He is not even an arsehole for wanting to do so and interrupting his recently jilted sisters alone time.

There are factors and situations that could mediate this. I.E. the trip had been planned for ages. She had been mooching about the house for too long. It was the only time he could get off work. Maybe he is the one who owns the house/got permisssion. etc.

But he is a huge arsehole for bringing the ex-fiance. God damnit man, your sister is upset enough over her engagement being over that she needs alone time. You know this. Yet you barge in unnannounced, bringing the dude that broke her heart, and get pissy when she gets upset.

You knew she was there. She was there first. And even after being told to leave, (and why), you ignore her and just keep doing what you are doing.

Fair enough, the ex-fiance might also need time to blow off steam after the break up. But not at the same place as the person he broke up with! And to re-iterate, she was there first, and has a legitimate right to be there.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Dylan16807 posted:

Good, someone got OP to say what the animal was. Lobster. Is having a lobster shaped face an insult that people use? They have weird faces but there's no connection to any human features that look ugly, is there? (I could at least see redness but they specifically said shape.)

It sounds like the relative didn't apologize properly, but that was a strong initial reaction to a comment I'd just classify as weird.

The OP could have ichthyosis. Which can often make people's skins red and scaly-like.

But she probably would have initially said if she suffered from that.

Anyways, telling someone they have a lobster face is at the least rude. And autism or no, if someone calls you and said "You called me a lobster face, and that hurt my feelings and made me relapse into my eating disorder", the correct response is to say "Sorry." not "Well I'm autistic so it's not my fault." then get upset when they aren't at your wedding.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA for insisting my boyfriend’s father call me doctor?

Not specific about this one. More a general comment on the older people, (usually men but not always), who feel they must be "respected".

But what they really want is subservience. They want you to acknowledge that they are better/higher rank/status/more important than you, and as such to defer to them and take your place under them.

These are also the kind of people who say stuff like "Yuo have to give respect in order to get respect"

And my actual point is that if you do give them your aquiescence, and bend over for them, kowtowing to their will, (as they want), they immediately will never respect you. Because you have shown yourself to be weak, lesser than, and beneath them. So they will continue to lord over you and expect that you remain in your place of lesserness.

But if you actually show some strength, or backbone, (like the bloke in this story saying "I am a biochemist and would appreciate if you called me by my title."), then they get all pissy and whiny and play the victim.

Its a game you can't win with these type of people. Either give in, and forever be the spineless peon in their eyes, thus having to endure all that comes along with that. Or push back, and have to endure their pissbaby whining and tantrums about being disrespected etc.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The way I heard it is that supposedly it's good manners in Asian countries to leave some food on the plate, while in Western countries it's the opposite. Or if you clean your plate they'll assume you want seconds, leading to some hilarious misunderstandings.

In any case, 'manners' (Beyond like, chew with your mouth closed) are mostly whatever was made up by some fucker in the Victorian era to sell books to the credulous middle class while the upper class they think they're emulating did and continue to do whatever the gently caress they wanted. And they're usually ill-defined and contradictory enough that someone can use them as an excuse to poo poo on you any time they want and not have to explain why.

In regards to this:

Yeah in certain Asian places, it is rude to eat every last morsel on your plate. The implication being that your hosts are poor/or bad hosts and didn't give you enough food.

Just as in certain "Western" places it is rude to not eat all that you are given. The implication being that your hosts are bad cooks/poor hosts and gave you bad food/food you didn't like.

However in both of these scenarios, taking a bite and saying a simple "That was delicious. Thank you so much. I am full now." will overcome most of any perceived rudeness.

And as has been said, anyone who gets offended after that is just a "traditionalist" looking to trip people up on whichever arcane version of the rules of etiquette they have decided they want you to follow today. So can get hosed.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

AITA for organizing a "hoe union" of girls in my college?

Firstly, YAY for this girl and her friends standing up for themselves and refusing to be sexually harrassed etc.

But more importantly, how the gently caress can University Administration get involved when a bunch of private adults choose voluntarily to leave a private party together?

Also lol at the fratboy who, (I assume), got so butthurt that people were leaving his parties early coz he was being a creep, that he complained to the University

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Not knowing the ages of the people involved.

But I would guess it is a clueless old man who needs help buying stuff for his wife. And the wife appreciates that someone is willing to help her duffer of a husband. So the giving flowers is a sweet gesture from what I imagine to be an elderly couple to "that nice young girl at the shop".

And fiance getting pissed off enough about it to pick a fight and leave is hilariously insecure. It also reeks of possessiveness. Also getting his mum to call and call her a slut is just plain wrong.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Going back a page to language chat: (sorry)

I am an ESL teacher, and over the last 15 years I have lived in 3 different countries, (Japan, Korea and China), and one of my major bugbears is people who don't even try to learn the local language. And I have met far too many of these arseholes.

It is even worse when they are in a relationship with a local. How loving rude/entitled is it to expect your partner to communicate with you in a 2nd language that they have had to learn, yet you won't even do them the courtesy of attempting to do the same for them? Then add in that if this relationship is serious enough that meeting parents is an option, how rude/entitled/disrespectful is it to show up at your potential In Laws place, knowing they don't speak your language and go "Yeah, I am not going to bather trying to understand/communicate with you, your daughter will have to do the difficult job of translating"

Adding in from personal experience, that it often doesn't matter how good you are at the 2nd language, if you make an attempt people will warm to you and meet you half way. I have found this in my professional life, and also years ago on my backpacking trip across Europe where I tried to get by on my awful High School French.

Also I am currently in Hokkaido, and will second that Japanese is a lot easier than Mandarin. My Japanese is currently awful and embarrassingly low, but as said, people are happy that I am trying and will mostly help me to understand/get new words as I am stumbling and stuttering in the supermarket. So if this bloke would even make a little bit of effort, and accept his girlfriends generous offer to teach him, he will be a big hit with the In Laws.

Finally, whilst I kinda sorta see his point in that "Japanese is only for nerds who watch anime". Insomuch as if you don't live there, then there is little practical use for the language. But he has a huge practical use to learn! Communicating with his girlfriend and her parents. More importantly, learning languages isn't always just about the practicalities of it. I have never been to Hungary, am never likely to even visit Hungary. Yet if given the chance to learn Hungarian I would jump at it eagerly and with enthusiasm.

Languages are cool. Learning new things is cool. Thus learning new languages is cool.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for honking at a man sitting in an empty parking space?

She was perfectly within her rights to honk at that man. He probably came to that parking lot by public transport, (like a poor). How dare he move out of the road into an empty space whilst looking for something in his backpack, surely he should have made Enrique search for it instead), and FORCE her to drive an extra 2 metres to the next free space.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

nashona posted:

shut up about the dude with two dates

WIBTA if I demanded a friend wear a different dress to my wedding because the one she chose is ugly?

the community?

Colours matter in a church community?

Is this a real thing? Or is OP just trying to handpass the blame from "I think her dress is ugly and I don't want it at my wedding." to "This specific dress would be inappropriate."

Coz if it's the latter, surely a "Hey, I know that your dress fits within the dress code, but its an inappropriate colour to wear to church. You're part of the community, you understand." would fix it up.

Either way. Colours matter to church people? I don't get it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Troublemaker posted:

"she’s also made it clear if I need to use his car I have to ask HER for permission."

When you're at the point that you have to ask your husband's mother for permission to use his car, you run like hell. If MIL gives you half the down payment for a house, you can bet she's moving in.

This.

But also importantly, she has gotten pissy at a polite refusal. She has enlisted others to push on her behalf. She has claimed that by making a very polite refusal, "Oh no, that's a huge imposition and I wouldn't feel comfortable. But thank you anyway.", she was embarrassed and humiliated and now demands an apology.

All of that is hosed up and not the actions of a nice or normal person. And if the son is defending her, then that is not a man you want or need to be around in any way.

Also, you can bet that if/when OP and her husband do buy their house, Mother in Law will be coming round to visit and will poo poo on it, saying it is not as nice as the one she could have bought for them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Andrast posted:

Who the gently caress are these relatives that are apparently fine with coming to hang out with a total stranger to them anyway

A while back. But it is a very Indian thing, (and I have subsequently found out that this is true in other cultures too), that if you have "relatives" that live within an hour of wherever you are going to visit, instead of paying for a hotel, you will stay with them.

Of course, in my and everyone I know's experience, before you do this you ring up and say "Hi BrigadierSensible, I am your cousin's wife's brother. We will be visiting X city next month for a week, and you live in Y city about 45 minutes away. Would it be OK if we came and stayed with you?" And depending on the closeness of the relative, (in my example it's not very close), you can get out of it with a polite excuse. i.e. "I'm sorry, but I will be very busy with work that week." etc. And generally the person doing the asking will understand. Of course all this depends on the politeness/seriousness of the excuse and the closeness of the relative.

In the case of the OP's story, the excuse of "I'm sorry, but I will be out of town for most of your trip, and my wife who doesn't know you that well isn't comfortable with having to host people she doesn't know." is perfectly reasonable, and only arseholes would be offended.

The bigger issue is that the husband repeatedly springs these kinds of things on her, (visitors, work trips), without telling when he has known for months. He also knows she doesn't like being told at the last minute. So either he is really that clueless/absent minded that he always forgets, (in which case he needs to do some work to try to remember to tell his wife). Or he is a passive aggressive coward so scared of confrontation that he will only bring it up when he can immediately run away and not deal with the fall out. Or he is a selfish prick who cares not for his wife's feelings at all, and just expects her to deal with his poo poo.

Good on her for taking a stand, and pissing off to a hotel to be comfortable. Coz the husband will be the one who cops the flack for being a bad host, (considering she doesn't know these people), and it will either get him to buck his ideas up, or at least gain a reputation as a bad house to stay at, thus lessening the stream of unknown relatives coming to stay.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Also you will notice that the 60+ year old husband has no agency in this story. He is a filthy dirty sex addict, shamed by his wife and therefore a lesser man. Yet he is also the hapless victim of the slutty dressing niece with her fake boobs, from whom he needs to be protected.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Re stupid named twins.

Whilst the names the mum wants are indeed stupid, just as her reasons for wanting them are stupider, (trendy and unique baby names? get hosed.)

A good compromise is to let the dad choose a more normal middle name. And when the kid is in grown up and applying for jobs etc. They can put "H. John Smith" on their resume instead of having to apply to the accounting firm as "Havoc Smith.". This solution also allows the kid to go by Havoc if they want to.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Hughlander posted:

I honestly don't know that I've ever wanted to harm someone as much as I want to harm this Bridezilla.

AITA For Shaving My Head Before My Cousin’s Wedding?

I'm sorry Cuz, did my cancer get in the way of your storybook wedding?

Thing is, it didn't get in the way of the wedding. She says the wig looked like her own hair. The bride is pissy that she didn't get to style her 13yo cancer victims hair.

I mean, fair enough if you didn't know she had cancer, it is reasonable to be shocked at a bald 13 yo girl. But if you knew before hand, and the cancer victim was making an effort by wearing a wig. This bride is the absolute arsehole.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Didn't they make tons and tons of merch for Isabella because she's the most classical Disney princess-like character in the movie, and they didn't realize Luisa would be so popular?

And what does "uncomfortably recent" mean?

My google search of "isabella encanto dress" shows at least 3 pictures of princess dresses for 6 year olds.

And "uncomfortably recent" means "kids like it, not Disney adults. So my judgemental family will not have heard of it and thus will declare me to be unhip."

And seriously, even if you allow for not making the whole party an Isabella party. Not letting a 6 year old dress as the princess of her choice at a explicit Princess themed party is hosed up. Especially for the "my parents wont know who that is and I will be embarrassed."

How this works in normal life is clueless granddad sees his granddaughter dressed as a pretty princess, of whom he knows not the name. He leans down and says "You look beautiful sweetie. Who are you supposed to be?" And the 6 year old then tells her grandad all about her favourite princess and the grandfather says "That sounds wonderful" having not listened to or understood a word. But still loving his granddaughter.

Everybody is happy. Except for mum fuming and dying of embarrassment for ... some reason.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for refusing to go home when my husband told me to?

"Ok sweetie. If you are sick you should go home and rest. Im staying because it is my sisters 18th. I'll get a lift home. You feel better soon. Bubye, see you at home"

Bingo bango, problem solved.

But this piece of poo poo refuses to let his wife have time with her family. (Even when he was given an out earlier, when he was told he didnt have to come if he was feeling sick)

gently caress his manipulative arse. Her family are probably only on his side becausr they dont know/realise the many other times he has pulled the "im sick, take me home" excuse

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Let's assume that the girlfriend had told him that she spoke Spanish early on.

Do you reckon he would have 1)made her be his interpreter for all future family engagements, 2)used this as an inspiration to get her to help him finally learn a language with which he can communicate with his grandma, 3)dumped her then and there for being a show off, or 4) dumped her later on for some so called unrelated issue but really because he was pissy that she spoke better Spanish than him.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

My niece was not allowed to drink fizzy sugary soft drinks, and had her juice intake greatly monitored/restriicted by her mum, (my Sister in Law), and it was never an issue if/when she was round at other peoples houses.

She drank water. And pretty much every house has water. Either from the tap or bottled. It was not a big deal for her, as she got something to drink when she was thirsty, and it was not a huge deal for the people whose house she was at coz it's not hard to fill a cup from the tap, or just keep a jug of water in the fridge for hot days.

Now she's 10 she can drink anything she like. And she likes juice, but thinks soft drinks are too sweet. Again, perfectly fine and normal.

But in this story there are so many issues. An 11 year old that throws himself on the ground and chucks a tantrum because there is no "rainbow juice"? A mum that says "I didn't want to buy him it, so I stoked the tantrum. Hoping that you would see a crying 11 year old and immediately cave." An 11 year old that caused major plumbing damage. (although this is the one thing I can forgive. an 11yo squirting silly string down the toilet for gags seems like the thing an 11yo would do).

And this is discounting all the financial support that OP gives to the sister. Which bring up their own can of worms.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

Wow, what a terrible person. She should know better than wanting to have sex with her husband she has been away from. Doesn't she know married people never have sex? Its like she has never listened to comedians. Plus everyone knows babies comes from storks, not loving.

This is me reading way way more into it than is there, but:

This seems to me to be be a super controlling/smothering helicopter mother who wants to be overly in her sweet innocent baby boys life well after they have grown up. Sure.

But I would also posit that what she took offense at was the use of the word "gently caress". And the matter of fact way that a *gasp* woman would dare to be so brazen as to want and request sex.

If the OP had coyly, softly and embarrassedly said something like "I am really sorry my dearest mother in law, but may we have an hour alone because ... we have to ... you know ... marital duty ... relations ... I am so sorry that this intrudes on your smothering time. We will try to get it over and done with as soon as possible." etc. Then MiL probably wouldn't have been as scandalized/disrespected.

But that would have been insane. No grown woman needs to ask permission in her own home to gently caress her husband who has been away for a while. And any Mother in Law that does not respect that is the one who is being crude, disrespectful and a huge arsehole.

Edit:

ibntumart posted:

Gobsmacked that not only do the stems have a name, but I could have been using them all this time. Thanks for the info! I will have to give garlic scape mayo a go. (Also apparently good for pesto, too, so that’s two fun new recipe twists in my near future)
Adding my voice to the "garlic stems are awesome" brigade.

When I lived in Korea, I lived on an island that was famous for it's garlic. And the side dishe of garlic stems that they served with most stuff was phenomenal.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 24, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Lol. If she didn't want them in why not straight up say it??

Because if they choose of their own accord not to attend the wedding, then it is not your fault. And you can kid yourself that you were welcoming abd it is their problem, not yours.

But if you say "I don't want you at this wedding!" then you look bad. And they get offended.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

I can't believe that little backstabber, teaching herself Andy!

I know. I had to pay for an expensive tutor to teach me Andy. And even then I only got to "Andrew" level.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

AITA for asking my roomate to stop speaking Arabic?

What isn't "ideal" about Sarah speaking Arabic with her folks, OP? What does speaking Arabic have to do with her being "very Muslim"? I think the racism and Islamophobia didn't start with your parents coming up from Georgia.

Whilst it is clear that OP and OP's parents are super racist and islamophobic, from the tone of the post I would argue that they would be just as "offended" if the roommate was speaking Norwegian, or Korean, or Xhosa, or god forbid Spanish on the phone to their relatives/friends.

Either way gently caress them and their racist arses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for telling my wife she knew what the deal was when she married me, in front of her family?

"let's have an argument in front of my family", what kind of rear end in a top hat does that

The thing is, if the kid doesn't want to accept his Dad's wife as his new mum, then that is the end of that.

Sure, it sucks that she doesn't get the relationship she wants with the kid. But that won't change with a "I am now your new mum. We discussed it without you, and here is the certificate that says it is official."

Whilst yeah, the dude does seem to be very clingy to his ex-wife's memory. But as he says, he was very open about that all the way through the relationship, and from what he says he does really seem to care about and be respectful of his son's wishes.

Hell, it even seems that kid and new wife get along fine, and co-habitate as defacto mother and son. Just without an official title or signed certificate, and with the kid, (some might even say justifiably), holding dearly on to the memory of his dead mother.

But her picking a fight, and demanding some official change in relationship status, is an arsehole move.