Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/NQFcMDU.mp4
They've shown some more in various footage, we're getting some of the deep pulls like Dirtbag, Groundchuck, and Tempestra.
At this point I would not be surprised if they decided to get the entire gang from the "Night of the Rogues" episode, which would include Antrax, Scumbug, and Chrome Dome, but I also haven't seen any sign of them, either, .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

So is this a remake of one of the old TMNT games or a brand new one?
Brand new, but there's also a collection of all the old ones coming, too, if you missed that before. All the 8-bit, 16-bit, and arcade games.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1536354091047190529

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Are you talking about a girl turtle from the show or that one girl who got mutated into a turtle from the IDW comic?

Anyways, make Mona Lisa DLC

Venus de Milo was only in the 1997-98 live action show as the "fifth turtle" exposed to mutagen (mistakenly left behind by Splinter). In comics, she's been made fun of in the Image series and in the IDW series she's a reanimated creation of a mad scientist.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Palmtree Panic posted:

Treasure is working on a new game supposedly. They haven't released anything since 2013.

It can't be... are they really releasing "that"?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zoran posted:

The only time that was ever any good was in Portal 2.
There's a good use of it in Double Dragon Neon.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of FTL, wasn't the Advanced Edition out much later after the initial release?

I still hate that it's not on Android.
September 14, 2012 -> April 3, 2014.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
old RPGs huh
https://thqnordic.com/article/gothic-classic-coming-nintendo-switch-september-2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

No Wave posted:

Doesnt switch already use SSD? No spinning plates in my handheld. Idk if any nintendo system has had a spinny hard drive.
Switch's internal memory is an eMMC module, basically a precursor to SSD. It's notably faster than microSD cards, but also slower than modern SSD speeds. Cheaper, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, Pokemon Stadium's a hard sell because you really want a Gameboy Pokemon game to get the most out of it rather than using the rental pokemon. Which isn't an option on the Switch.
It's even a solved emulation problem elsewhere, but I suppose there's any number of reasons why not here (e.g. couldn't make it play nice with their in-house one, don't want to release the GB R/B/Y (and G/S/C for 2), don't want to have the feature enabled before they put the others on their service, don't want to do it without the saves being compatible for new-gen trading, can't square the circle with new-gen compatibility and Stadiums being able to read the saves too, etc.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/MyNintendoNews/status/1697883130261020898

real

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

eightysixed posted:

So wait, is there a Direct at 8am PST/11am EST (me) or not?
I can’t tell if the trolling is real or if the Direct is real :saddowns:
This was the jape.
It's just last year's tweet.
This is this year's tweet. Both are from the official account, today's direct is going to happen.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/i/status/1702566208396996859

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Has anyone had a chance to try Gloomhaven? The ads show gushing reviews, but the lack of discussion makes me suspicious.
The PC version is a fine digital adaptation of the board game, which has been acclaimed for a while, but the game itself has taken a fair number of video game newcomers somewhat off-guard by the unorthodox resource management for playing characters, coupled with some brutal early missions (the very first mission of the original campaign is pretty hard). The tutorial can help, though, and Guildmaster mode is a more classic video-game progression. The Jaws of the Lion DLC also has more of a beginner on-ramping for the board game campaign, though you'll have to spring for the more expensive Gold edition (or shell out another $18 US), which might be a bit of a commitment.

From what I've seen, as far as specifically concerns the Switch port, it's lacking some of the fancy lighting from PC and there's some animation slow-down, but it's otherwise basically the same look (i.e. it's not like a MK1 potato-ing). Controller scheme seems to works fine, though there might not be a button to check line of sight? That'd be the most regrettable loss if so - not unplayable, but it's a big quality of life for the kind of game it is.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

OhFunny posted:

The real question is: will the Super Switch have enough power to make browsing the eShop a good experience?

The answer is no.
If the infinite scroll does not slow the system down enough, Nintendo will do whatever it takes to make it so. Perhaps auto-loading videos as you try to go past.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

Front Mission 3 is a tremendously huge game. There are two separate campaigns that are really long, and an entire fake internet to explore.
Love that the entire game-spanning path split is determined by literally the first choice after the tutorial mission on whether you want to help your friend do a delivery or not.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dutch: Speerovic
French: Javelinovitch
German: Speerfried
Italian: Lancidovic
Spanish: Lanzadovich

missed opportunity to find a localized pun that flows better than speardovich

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Speardovich.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

And yeah, that Mario comic was pretty good as I recall. Who was the artist?
Charlie Nozawa (also published as Tamakichi Sakura). Mostly a gag cartoonist, though contributed designs to some small Japanese games (Tower Land, Pikiinya!, Sansara Naga, and Tower Dream). Seems like the Nintendo Power stuff is his most internationally well-known work.

quote:

Akira "Charlie" Nozawa is a Japanese manga artist, born in 1961. He is also known as Tamakichi Sakura. Born in Tokyo, he studied at Tama Art University. He has done character designs for video games and has mainly made manga for computer game-related magazines. His gag cartoon 'The Shape of Happiness' ran in Famicom Tsūshin magazine (now formally Famitsu) from 1986 to 1994.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

The Star Fox comic also kind of gave us a proto Krystal in the form of Fara Phoenix (I seem to remember the latter being a better character though). Who drew that and the Metroid comic out of curiosity?
Benimaru Itoh illustrated both. He's also done a handful of Pokemon works and an Earthbound comic, but outside those he's probably known for his video game work - he was character designer for Earthbound (and Earthbound 64), was 3D modeling director for the Pokemon Stadiums, did graphic design for Kirby's Air Ride, and just a lot of supervisory and director roles for various Nintendo franchises from the SNES-DS years.

I suppose for the sake of completeness it can be noted that the Link to the Past comic was done by Shotaro Ishinomori, who's probably got the highest profile of the bunch - he did Cyborg 009 and Kamen Rider.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

Oh I knew that last one already (also it was mentioned on this page). Didn’t know there was an Earthbound comic though, is it good?
I dunno, it wasn't officially translated afaik. There's probably a fan translation somewhere, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I liked Command as an experimental thing and would have liked to have seen an improved iteration on better hardware but the Arwing's long since flown on that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The MSX games aren't that bad for their age, though I'd probably still go back after playing the Solids rather than insist on full chronological order - Metal Gear Solid 1 is practically (if not literally) a remake of Solid Snake, anyway.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Gameboy Castlevanias have a real weird case of just feeling like wading through molasses, particularly noticeable when platforming and not getting nearly as much horizontal distance as you really want, which drags down the experiences (and they're not amazingly designed beyond that big caveat so it's not that hard to write them off).
Shame Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth hasn't made it off WiiWare, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Augus posted:

there’s one I remember being pretty bad and one that was quite good, idk which one this is tho
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge is usually remembered as the best of the brick series.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Mario's little dance on the level up screen is so cute, what the hell
https://twitter.com/edtertainerd/status/1720113000131305907

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

otter posted:

Do you need to have played Star ocean 1 to enjoy Star ocean 2?
I keep confusing it with Star tropics.
All you really need to know is provided within Star Ocean 2 itself. Claude, one of the two main characters you can choose for the game's "route" (largely the same events but there's a few mutually exclusive scenes and full-time party members), is the son of two of Star Ocean 1's playable cast.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Super Mario RPG... is good.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

bowmore posted:

Diddy Kong Racing would hold up
Wizpig would still be bullshit, too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I don't really like at least half of Paper Mario 1's level design. Music's okay, I guess, not really an all-timer for me but I do have the OST through Nintendo Power (redeemed years of subscription points before I lost them and Paper Mario and Banjo Kazooie soundtracks seemed like my best options at the time.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Annath posted:

The first 2 DQM games were for the GBC, and were very loosely connected in that the 2nd game (which was released in 2 versions a la Pokémon) is set in the same world as the first and takes place after. The protagonist of DQM 1 is a secret final boss of DQM2. Also apparently protag of DQM1 is a side character in one of the mainline DQ games, and DQM1 is his backstory?
Dragon Quest Monsters follows young Terry in his quest to rescue his sister Milly, through the obvious route of winning the biggest monster training tournament in the land beyond the wardrobe.
Milly and Terry are both part of the eventual full party in Dragon Quest VI (i.e. perhaps one of the most "oh yeah, that one existed" entries in the main series), though no longer as small children - Milly is part of the initial party but due to story events you're separated from her for a bit. Terry doesn't join until rather later, but you do encounter him numerous times beforehand because he beats your party to a few goals and eventually has to be fought as a boss. His motivation is, in fact, wholly because he was unable to protect Milly as a child and struck out to become stronger on his own (obsessively so, as it turned out).

Neither game is really necessary to understand the other, though it is kind of amusing to think that Terry's takeaway from becoming a master monster trainer was "I shoulda been able to do all that without help!"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Annath posted:

Grab P4 Golden on PC, or the P3 remaster, not "Persona 3 Reload". Reload isn't out yet, but it's apparently missing all the content added to P3 in the "Portable" and "FES" versions.
Not entirely - they've indicated that it will essentially be "Episode Yourself" (also known as The Journey) from FES, which means it's the enhanced version of the base story which includes extra events, quests, and Personas. What's missing from Portable is the added ability to choose a female protagonist (with her own events and social links that differ from the male protagonist's), and what's missing from FES is The Answer ("Episode Aigis"), which is a playable epilogue scenario that features a new dungeon and ending. The former is generally positively viewed, with many favoring the female protagonist's events (save one particular social link, usually), the latter isn't as fondly regarded. It's always possible they could (re-)develop that content as DLC for further down the line but they were pretty adamant about launch not having anything but the original (enhanced) campaign (plus new exclusive additions).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Main game has a bit more on-boarding - you'll never get, like, an all-out tutorial for how you should be using your weapons and their movesets (there is a practice room where you can look up your equipped weapon combos and freely whack a training dummy complete with DPS readout), but it will ease you into the need to actually use the full extent of your kit, as slowly as you like - the "Village" quests are basically an extended tutorial that can only be undertaken solo- monster stats are scaled down, and you'll go from hunting mushrooms to climbing the ranks of the lower tier monsters (basically capping out at the Cover Monster), while the "Hub" quests are more like hitting the ground running - but if you complete the Village quests you'll be allowed to skip to where the game roughly expects your skill to have been honed to, to continue the story and monster progression. Hub quests can be done solo or multiplayer, and monsters scale up from their actual base stats the more players that are along for the hunt.

One thing I'll suggest if you do end up picking it up anytime soon - as a first-time player, I'd recommend you don't use the Black Belt armor/Defender weapons if you see them available. They're stronger than practically all the base game gear, and cheap to boot, because their real intended purpose is quickly grinding through the base game to start playing the expansion (whereupon they almost immediately drop off in effectiveness), and will likely lead to picking up some bad habits and minimize the need to learn individual monster quirks and tells along the way, and you don't really want to start learning monsters for real when they're so much stronger and more aggressive.

But I'd also suggest that, by all means, you should continue to enjoy Monster Hunter Stories 2 first.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

obi_ant posted:

Would I basically have every Phoenix Wright game at this point?
Only missing Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth of Western releases, and also Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (which didn't leave Japan, but does have a translation patch). None of those are on Switch, anyway. (PLvPW is 3DS, AAI 1&2 are DS)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
AAI:MW isn't really that terrible that its quality alone led to poor sales in the West (I think there's some other factors in play, like Apollo Justice getting a cool reception before it), but the final case getting dragged out the way it does sure didn't do the game any extra favors. Which makes it even more of a shame that the sequel's story is a major improvement.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'd prefer fewer infinite scroll storefronts.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I was just reading about SNES RPGs and remembered 7th Saga. That game was wild! One of my friends had it and I borrowed it many times. It remember it being very hard and I’m wondering now if it was difficult and full of bullshit or if I was just bad at it because I was a kid.
Even the original release wasn't exactly an easy game, but the western translation was arbitrarily made more difficult with some enemy stat/level/encounter tweaks and also cutting the growth rate of your chosen character's stats. Since the other characters remain in the world as NPCs who level alongside you, and you'll have to fight at least one at some point, it can easily spiral into a situation where their stats have ballooned beyond yours - however, a long-suggested strategy was to recruit one of the other candidates after a certain level and just essentially swap to using them because they'll at least join with the stats they should have had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Emulators weren’t much of a thing in the mid-90s, to my knowledge :corsair:
They mostly started in the mid-90s, with a bunch of the early popular ones popping up around 95-97 (VGB in '95, GenEm, SNES96 (precursor to SNES9x), and iNES in '96, MAME, Genecyst, NESticle, and ZSNES in '97)