Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Vikar Jerome posted:

New extreme grain of salt leak (everything in this list is real either through devs talking about it or via geforce leak list, its just if we are gonna get a big presentation in feb about it all is the grain of salt, its come from a translation company who got the gig to translate the show)

Ff 35th presentation feb 7th

Total runtime: 1h 24m

Opening:
Final Fantasy History Presentation

Final Fantasy:
Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster - Promotional Video
Theatrhythm Final Bar Line - Promotional Video
Hironobu Sakaguchi Presents: Final Fantasy IX Remake (This Fall)
World of Final Fantasy II: A Mog of Light (May 19th 2023)
Stories from Ivalice: War of the Lions (Summer 2023)
Final Fantasy X-3 (Now In Development)
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - Memories (Winter)
Final Fantasy XVI - Focal Presentation Announcement (March 24th 2023)

Final Fantasy Online:
Final Fantasy XI/Final Fantasy XIV Subscription Unity Project (This Fall)
Final Fantasy XI Beginnings Rework Project (This Fall)
Naoki Yoshida: Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Anniversary

Final Fantasy Mobile:
Final Fantasy 7: Ever Crisis Closed Beta Test (August 8th 2023)
Final Fantasy: Dissidia Opera Omnia JP - Zenos Trailer
Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius - Promotional Video

Additional:
Tetsuya Nomura Presents: Final Fantasy Memoria
Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker - OST (Spotify/YouTube) Release (April 3rd 2023)
Final Fantasy: Chiptunes Album (Summer 2023)
Final Fantasy Square Enix Store Sale
Distant Worlds
Eorzean Symphony Vol. 3

Closing:
Yosuke Matsuda: Remarks

No Secret of Evermore, no deal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

PantsBandit posted:

Surprised I haven't seen more Ishin discussion. I'm loving it. The town is gorgeous and it's very satisfying to occasionally slow to a walk and appreciate all the ambiance.

Feels like nearly every vendor is a potential friendship, which further helps you sink into the slower paced feel as you get to know your neighbors.

Combat is actually challenging again, the last brawler (judgement 2) was way too easy. We'll see if that holds up bc there are a ton of weapon upgrades.

On pace to be in top 3 RGG games.

I am super excited to play Ishin someday, but only yesterday did I beat Yakuza 0; I owned it for like two years after buying it on sale "because I heard it was good" but never started it, and drat it was incredible, I loved it. I did all the substories except for like 2 disco missions and the two final super bosses and ahh I probably will pass on them. I'll leave it installed for a bit and think about it.

It was super cool to walk around the cities and look at stuff and I'm glad Ishin sounds just as interesting to walk around.

Since all the other mainline Yakuza games were on sale in like the past month I uhh... bought them all .... :sweatdrop: (Like a Dragon/Judgement/Ishin some other day/year). I will have to do something else in-between installments.

Kiryu was great but Majima is my boy and I'm sad to learn you don't play as him in other games, I think he had the stronger storyline in Y0. A good bittersweet ending.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

imhotep posted:

yeah he left a while ago. im pretty sure he's making himself look worse as a bit for that youtube video series, he looks much better on his twitch streams.

this old stream of him playing this loving insane ps1 game called 'Tail of the Sun' is pretty funny, both because of him and because the game is so stupid and weird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JckvpTKtdQ&t=863s

This game was wild and I have no idea why they never let you rotate the camera. I liked exploring and finding caves or weird other landmarks; once you were able to kill a mammoth it didnt take too long to beat.

Now I want Sony to put that up with the other PS1 games theyve been re-releasing!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Goons were right about 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, I had a great time with it over an initial hump. First two to three hours I was thinking "I'd rather be reading a book" but the nonlinear storytelling and reveals were very cool and it really sucked me in; I switched characters to try to keep their percentage complete around the same, though sometimes I stuck with one until it locked me because I HAD TO KNOW!

It was like a mystery box show, but I'm glad everything gets revealed/explained. Though even now it is still hard to wrap my head around some stuff, but I did 100% the three sections of the game. Also very happy you can't really miss anything, I hate games that keep stuff behind more than one playthrough, particularly when it's a long game.

The battles were pretty neat too. I played on normal and it wasnt hard unless I brought the wrong people, until near the end, but I enjoyed it. I would've preferred sprites of the units instead of the icons for the battles but a minor complaint.

I'm not sure visual novels are for me but I sometimes like playing weird games out of my normal zone and I'm glad I played this one, it was great, thank you goons.

A novel I enjoyed (and a fav of The Book Barn) that came to mind when I was playing the game, that has a time loop in it, is The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August https://www.amazon.com/First-Fifteen-Lives-Harry-August-ebook/dp/B00ECE9OD4 if you liked that idea in the game maybe check out this book, it's great too.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

negativeneil posted:

Xenogears Remake is my personal white whale. I don't think it'll ever happen though.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Never say never I say. With all these remasters and remakes of the most obscure games, I could see it. Like wtf live a live got one. Like how tf

I think it's gone from never to possible in just the last few years. I hope for at least, if not a remake, a re-release for modern systems.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Anyone pick up or seen impressions of the Red Dead Redemption port?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

FireWorksWell posted:

About ten minutes in and while you can tell it's 30fps it's smooth so far, and it's great to have John back. Way happier with this than if they'd had gone the GTA Definitive route.

There's a ten hour playthrough of the ps5 version on YouTube, which I jumped around in before buying.

univbee posted:

Digital Foundry has a video up about the game, too. It's slightly better than the Xbox 4K BC version but not by much.

- Better anti-aliasing so less shimmer
- Better shadows

Otherwise the game is effectively identical, so there are no enhanced models/texture or even better UI (most of the UI elements are 720p) or pop-in reduction. Game renders at 1080p30 on base PS4, and at 4K30 on PS4 Pro and PS5 (there is no difference between the game on PS4 Pro and PS5).

This sounds great to me, I'm so glad I have a way to play it that isn't pulling out my old 360.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Dewgy posted:

It’s one of those rare games where the back half is way more fun than the front. Also the secret post-ending ending is a total hoot. :allears:

That secret ending! A good tease, I wanted a sequel.

I had a good time with the game and I'd like to go back for a replay some day, not something I do often.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

fridge corn posted:

Cold Steel 1 and 2 seem to go on sale more often and for cheaper which is what made my decision to play then first lol

I started with Cold Steel and it was fine. Yeah there was some confusion when the characters from other games showed up and talked about events in those games but it was minimal and knowing “hey these are the protagonists from other trails games” was enough to have fun with it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

VG posted:

I really need to continue my Yakuza journey.

0 is a GOAT.
1 Kiwami was excellent.
2 Kiwami I started. Got 3-7 thanks to PSPlus and sales. Plus I will now play LAD because I am a turn based convert.

I finished Kiwami 1 a week ago and felt it was a big step down from Y0 after the initial thrill of seeing these characters I came to care about again. I’m hoping I have a better time with Kiwami 2, the better game engine makes it look good

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

I liked Weird West a lot but it definitely needs a sequel to really flesh out all its systems, the game is a little rough but a good foundation to build on.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Looking back I don't think the PS4 price ever really dropped, either because they released newer models at the same price or because of COVID wonkiness. Weird times. Sort of a reminder of how these machines are almost always sold at a loss, some more than others, and that the days of brand new $99 PSone's or Gamecubes are never EVER coming back.

Wasn’t a real price drop but I got a heck of a Black Friday deal of a PS4 slim with Spider-Man bundle for $199, alas will we ever see such a deal again ~~~

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

History Comes Inside! posted:

Honestly I won’t miss physical much when it’s gone because I already have Too Much Plastic Bullshit cluttering up my life

I understand this sentiment exactly as I've preferred digital for things like books/tv/games to reduce clutter, but streaming for TV/movies sucks when there's specific stuff I want to watch (usually older stuff) and it's just not streaming anywhere. I can easily see some stuff being lost for ages because there's no more physical media for it and the streaming gods decide it's not worth the fees to carry it. I'm not one for :filez: so if something obscure cant be found on youtube im just out of luck

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

mysterious frankie posted:

Weird West is pretty good so far! I'm not looking forward to changing characters though. I'm getting attached to the starting bounty hunter lady.

Just FYI when you switch to a new character, you can recruit the previous one and they will have all the inventory still on them - it doesnt transfer, except if you store stuff on a horse or in a bank deposit box.

This is true for everyone except the last character, who cant recruit the previous ones which was frustrating losing my good weapons.

I liked Weird West but I hope it gets a sequel to really flesh stuff out.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

fridge corn posted:

Breath of Fire Remaster Collection

yes please

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

veni veni veni posted:

Best open world maps/worlds. Keep in mind this is not a judgement of the overall game just the map and how it functions. visually, mechically, variety etc. Also not including games that are sort of open world, like any game with open worldish "regions" like Metro, Borderlands etc.

Most immersive-Red Dead Redemption 2, Death Stranding (tie)
Coolest/most stylish-Cyberpunk 2077
Best exploration-Breath of the Wild/Elden Ring (tie)
Prettiest to look at-Horizon Forbidden West/Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk (3 way tie)
Sells the concept the best-Red Dead Redemption 2 (cyberpunk second place because it's much less reactive and the moving parts don't work nearly as well. otherwise I would say this would be a tie)
Most groundbreaking- GTA 3/GTA 5 (I do not think these are still some of the best, but they were next level when they were released)
Honorable mention- The Witcher 3, Days gone
Best overall-Red Dead Redemption 2

This is canon

true for all the games on this list ive played

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

big trivia FAIL posted:

I'm so mad about it that when I found out after about 20 hours of game, I just stopped playing.

What makes this quest so important? I keep thinking of picking up dragons dogma

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
No give me Days Gone but with Wolverine, but make the zombies all robots because my original frame of reference for the character was the 90s cartoon where Wolverine was only allowed to hurt robots, never people.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Soul Glo posted:

what if they gave us a good game instead though

oh how could you!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Phenotype posted:

WOO i just beat Red Dead Redemption 2!

By which I mean I busted everyone out at poker, including Strauss who is such a tightass motherfucker that he will fold his small blind (1 cent) at me when we're playing heads-up despite being down to his last ten or twenty cents. He did this multiple times and I wanted to strangle him by the end of it. And then I didn't get a trophy I was so sure I'd get a trophy :(

im proud of you

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

wash bucket posted:

Aight, FF7 it is then. :cheerdoge:

FF7 Remake is a delight, and I played Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen a couple weeks ago and while the game is good, it was not good early on, it was super rough and I almost dropped it early. I'm glad I played it but if I had a PS5 or a PC that could handle DD2 I wouldve waited.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey this thread loves JRPGs right

With the outpouring of love for Toriyama since his passing and recently being lasered in on Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth it occurs to me I've never played a single Dragon Quest game despite playing through multiple Final Fantasies and Chrono Trigger

They always looked a little generic, but since the entire conceit of Like A Dragon is "what if guy had brain damage that made him think his life was Dragon Quest" and I love them I'm wondering if they're worth seeking out?

Only play DQ11 first, maybe the others after if you want more, but they are older and they feel it. DQ11 is fantastic and has many great quality of life improvements over the older games.

And I agree DQ looks generic, and I'd think maybe the story is if you're only considering the large plot beats; but it is done so well, it does the story better than most of its influences.

Augus posted:

Yes, DQ11 is extremely good

biceps crimes posted:

DQ11 would be a really good entry point for someone new to and curious about the series imo

History Comes Inside! posted:

Play DQ11 and don’t listen to the freaks who call act 3 an optional postgame, they are wrong it’s the rest of the game.

JBP posted:

I enjoyed DQ11 a lot. Super chill game you could play in bite sized chunks. I never finished it though. It kept rolling credits and starting a new story.

The people agree!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

What's good about the game? I don't know anything about it other than it's an RPG but I put it on my Steam wishlist sometime ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

veni veni veni posted:

Dragon's Dogma has to be one of the weirdest video games series to ever exist. So many of the design decisions are just flat out baffling. With the first game I chalked a lot of it up to developers that had never made any sort of western style rpg throwing poo poo at the wall to see what stuck. But DD2, despite being much bigger and better looking basically adds zero QOL stuff to the original. I have to think that most of these ridiculous things are in fact, very much by design. But in so many ways it feels like something made by an insane person. The level of inconvenience the game can throw at you is almost unmatched. But also like the first one I'm addicted as hell and can't stop playing it

I will play DD2 someday but after playing DD1 Dark Arisen I have a hard time imagining playing without a permanent teleporting Ferrystone like they give you in Dark Arisen. I was hoping theyd add horses or something, or at least make it so you dont lose stamina running when not in battle, which I guess they havent.