Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kid Fenris posted:

That room's giving off some real Leiji Matsumoto atmosphere. Did he just get on the Galaxy Express 999?

:lol: you were dead on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think the Dustin dates a cougar storyline went on longer. I mention it mainly because I liked that story. Dustin, why did you ever let her go?

wait what

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ellie the beep posted:

Out Our Way (October 10, 2001)

(i was too tired from manually pasting together half of it to come up with a funny caption; i just saw the bit about 'i hope [the war] blows over before we have to go' bit and was like hoooooph)

Hell of a job matching the text!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't know that I can defend this, but something about Ballard Street feels very Chaz Adams.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pancho Jueves posted:

How do you gently caress up drawing a catalog so badly it looks more like an ice cream sandwich?

Overboard's depictions are more correct than the real world.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EBB posted:

Why did you give the toddler the button back :psyduck:

Why not? It didn't kill her the first time.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Selachian posted:

Archie 5/9-11/46

But first, I wanted to call out this panel from yesterday:

Bob Montana's alma mater, Haverhill High School, also has a "Thinker" statue out front -- although theirs is copied from Michelangelo, not Rodin.

Having the sculpture that tops the gates to hell in front of the high school is certainly more apropos.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

um,

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

A bunch of little LJ Holton panels (at least I think that's his squiggle) that dotted this issue like measles, so I bundled them into a single page for convenience...

I appreciate the Solomon joke is just "this dude hosed."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NVTrainee posted:

So, what's the thread consensus on Prince Valiant lately? I remember many threads ago that it was more negative, but it could've been different people talking about it opposed to now. Compared to other comic strips, the art is gorgeous and I love the weekly story updates.

It has its dips -- not every story arc is a masterpiece and like any comic from the 50s it has its ugly moments -- but it's so excellent so frequently that it's hard not to have a high opinion of it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 28, 1955)

Another fantastic page from VV.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tiggum posted:

This is at least the second time this "joke" has come up; what the gently caress does Kelley think teenage girls are doing that's using so much data?

It's a modern take on the "teenage girls rack up the phonebill talking to friends" joke from the 80s / 90s.

It absolutely does not land in an era where most of a families data usage is going to come from Netflix.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

digging that calendar art

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

Suddenly I'm reminded of the Amber series of fantasy novels. One of the characters does something very similar.

:lol: I was about to make this same post.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

If the signature says Art Young, we must be going back to Hell:

Art was put on the witness stand to explain his sin of sedition. In his inimitable way he stated that he did not think revolutions were such terrible things. He said that the boys of Lexington and Concord had the right idea, and that the peasant uprisings of the Middle Ages were pretty well justified despite their lacking the benefit of clergy.

Shortly after that he was cross-examined by the United States Attorney:

Q. Now, Mr. Young, you have told us a good deal about your beliefs in revolution and that you believe that the American Revolution was justified, but, Mr. Young, do you believe in the theory of class-struggle.

Art looked at him blankly, then, very quietly:

A. Mr. Barnes, do you believe in the measles? (Laughter. Pounding of the gavel by the Judge.)

Art, sotto voce, added:

You don't have to believe in them if you've got them.

- Charles Recht, Art Young: An America, from the Fantagraph's edition of Art Young's Infernal

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (September 15, 1939)

Like most of Thimble Theater, I've only ever known Wimpy from second hand references. It's been a delight to see his OG appearances fully live up to the hype.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
gotta shove Nancy into a bomb calorimeter to know for sure

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

goatface posted:

People get upset when you do that sort of thing to children.

I could get away with it if it were a Holbrook comic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Lord help me but I can't see a questionable Mike without hearing, "Eh, Philippe! Thees ees no so bad, oui?!"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BigglesSWE posted:

Luann is about as sheepish as she can be around boys until the plot determines that she has to be extremely confident to create conflict.

Luann is low key one of the hornier comics in this thread, it just doesn't have any real concept of eroticism or sex.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Julet Esqu posted:

Personally, I found it shocking when Luann decided she was going to write a novel about what a hot hunky slab of beef her brother is, but maybe that kind of thing is just normal in her family.

Isn't Luann in a pseudo-contentious relationship with her rich and distant father, or am I confusing her with another character?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

I think you're thinking of Tiffany, the once-popular but now somewhat overweight rich girl.

Ah, that's right.

I like Tiffany. When she has a plotline the comic approaches being good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Transmodiar posted:

Prince Valiant-est

Now I'm actually wonderin' if I even LIKE kings, man.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hostile V posted:

Dutch is such a weird god drat language.

the best line in the article: "Due to its self-derisive nature, it is also an example of belgitude"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As much as anything, she needs company that's not her grown up daughters.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Comic Strips 2023: This pun is probably incomprehensible to almost everyone.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is somehow the second Victor Borge joke I've seen this week as well as the second I've seen since 1992.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 05, 1956)

After all of this, Garm better be granted a fief.

~Coxy posted:

Huh, what was the first one?

I can't find it now that I'm looking for it, but I got linked to one of his bits on tiktok.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth is the only one who didn't see this coming.

On the one hand Sally is treating her mother like poo poo, on the other hand her complete incapacity to acknowledge her mother must be some kind of trauma response.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Malachite_Dragon posted:

At some point though, Grandma needs to say what the hell it is she wants. This whole cycle of 'be an rear end in a top hat to my kids -> my kids don't want to talk to me -> be even more of an rear end in a top hat -> repeat' is not on them to break.

Grandma is an rear end in a top hat who's failure to communicate is the source of all her problems, absolutely no question there. (And moreover, is almost certainly some of her chickens coming home to roost.)

All that aside, stealing someone's furniture is, uh, loving theft, and is probably the single worse action either has taken in this recent string of comics. (This is not a criticism of the comic. I am entertained.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

A+ comic

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

Wallace the Brave

is...

is Spud just Roastbeef?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 18, 1956)

A complicated succession plotline is something don't think I think VV has tackled yet. I'm eager to see how this plays out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sorry haters, but Blind Alley is good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey featuring Bridge Ornament

holy poo poo this was a something awful front page article back in the day

edit: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/modern-dilemma-hot/
I was in high school when I first read this loving thing

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So it goes with narcissists.

Could we not use actual personality disorders to insult cartoon characters we don't like?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bimmi posted:

One thing that really chaps my rear end about all modern iterations of Popeye is how these lazy hack writers have decided that Popeye always TALKSK LIKESK THISK, which was never actually true and ignores the rich humor of mangled language so effortlessly employed in the classic strips. Given how Milholland loves to indulge in Sailorpedia wankery, I’m surprised he hasn’t been more aware of this.

The fact is that 99.9% of the reading audience is going to know Popeye exclusively from the old cartoons (or parodies of those cartoons) and he does talk like that in those.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mister Beeg posted:

Reminder that Scott Underwood, who has been doing illustration duties on "Slylock Fox" lately, worked on "Ed, Edd n Eddy" as a board artist.

Well I hope he finds his work on Slylock Fox more engaging.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

readingatwork posted:

Why does she look like she's about to throw herself into traffic over this? :confused:

She primarily inhabits a fantasy of perfection and finds any intrusion of the real, no matter how minor, to be a personal attack against her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

...I guess Lucky Eddie would know.