Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

silicone thrills posted:

They actually make more sense in earthquake zones because the flex is a good thing.

also areas with crappy soil or lots of rain or both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Vox Nihili posted:

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1680980370106327043

Wolfers arguing with a community note over pennies.

Actual bottom line: wages are totally flat going back a few years when adjusted for inflation. Inflation has eaten up all of the wage gains from the labor market crunch.

either way you slice it bidenomics now apparently includes a year of trump lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bedpan posted:

yep. boomers don't even have full control of the ship of state. silent generation still has their hands on the tiller.

?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

One of his blood boys will likely poison their own blood just to take him out.

transfusions are a stroke risk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
sriracha is a chili garlic sauce, none of these replacements seem to have garlic in them?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

skooma512 posted:

Is this boygenius?

that's OJ

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ugh too much whiskey i've gotta yaccarino

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

net work error posted:

The article said genetics can't account for the entirety of the sharp increase

i got mine caught at stage 3 right when i turned 39

completely outta the blue, testing showed no genetic markers whatsoever

and yeah there aren't really any symptoms before it starts killing you which is why they need to screen you at 50 45 now. lol everyone i know went and got screened, go get a camera rammed up your butt if you're over 30, colorectal is the #3 most common type of cancer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

croup coughfield posted:

the fat computer programmer who has more action figures than friends

this is everyone in this thread except me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When you deal with enough boomers and liberals whose brains just reset five seconds after you've started to apparently convince them of something after intense effort and dialogue I imagine it's easy to believe that

at work i find that repeating myself several times in a row ie "here is a task, this is the task, this task here we are doing now" in order to clearly communicate something that needs doing, or that we need to start working on

mostly this is with olds but it's also quite effective on hung over fresh grads

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

not only is getting mcdonalds delivered to your house a deranged and spiritually degrading act, you guarantee you’ll have zero chance of being able to eat it within the window where it’s somewhat enjoyable (0-5 min after receiving it). psychotic behavior

the last time i ever used it the lady delivering our family's dinner had her toddler with her

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
most of the time i'm screensharing plans and documents that are more important to look at than my goofy face

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hmm looks like we're missing a couple dudes here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol at how many people in here completely missed the entire idea that hypothetical venusian colonies would be in their atmosphere, not on its surface

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

tbf it's such an insanely stupid and uninteresting concept that it's not worth devoting even one brain cell to entertain the hypothetical syfy poo poo

idk i like the idea of bioshock infinite: venus, though tbf it's deffo not new or innovative or anything

iirc nasa has been mumbling about it for like a decade or something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Popoto posted:

cute that you think hubris won’t make them gently caress up along the way. wish i could be that optimistic and naive again

nice reading comprehension

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah he owned the poo poo outta his neighbor lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
iirc he peed on her too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
data trash is the chief of security who got killed by that black goo monster at the end of season 1

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

*thinking as hard as he can*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
does the toyota sienna still have a THREE YEAR waiting list everywhere? who gives a poo poo about the boomer dozers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i just wanted a third row for car seat and grandma carrying capacity and i was fortunate enough in jan 22 to pay $10k over msrp for a sienna, the people across the street from us can't get one for love or money after their oops 3rd

but yeah obviously the people with real money are all olds who can't bend over so they need giant suvs (our neighbors are a doctor couple lol they are sol, meanwhile the retirees down the street who park their rv in the street every friday and sunday who have that new, weird lookin one)

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 08:45 on Aug 3, 2023

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

college kicked rear end. so much fun i'd go back if someone paid for it

besides finals but otherwise learning stuff rules

i would love to go back to school for architecture as a grownass engineer

both sincerely as a beautiful way to broaden oneself and as a way to piss off my coworkers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Twerk from Home posted:

I like to wear skintight clothing with small pockets, and I'm so busy vigorously gyrating all day long that I don't have time to be on my phone

keep the phone in your rear end

then you can go as big as you want

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

lol you dont even want to know how many hot sauces i have in my fridge and how many ive gone through. so dont get me started

some people are coffee snobs, some people are beer snobs, some are pizza snobs, some are wine snobs, some are audio equipment vinyl snobs, im a hot sauce snob

hot sauce doesn't go in the fridge, it deadens the flavor

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Oglethorpe posted:

yeah you gotta be on the ball way before hospice or something

another fun one is that it's not uncommon for patients to immediately sign up for life insurance from the hospital after a cancer diagnosis, before it hits your records

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol women are so bad at money

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
wait when what was completely locked down

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ammanas posted:

if i got 3 months of pto per kid id immediately have 4 kids. hack the system

california gives each parent 7 weeks paid, though you do hafta use it inside of the first year

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

euphronius posted:

the person asked me how I can read the thread as a parent and I gave him the reasoning I use

it’s not right or wrong or something you need to correct me on

you are never going to convince the "world is going to die in 5 years" people otherwise

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Chad Sexington posted:

my daughter will deffo be the one putting the cattle gun to my forehead and I will be extremely proud of her

i'm gonna invent that device from tank girl that drains your entire body of water like a juice pouch

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
all the jewish daycares i've seen have been the nicest in the area and also outrageously expensive

six years ago we were paying $2100/month for one child in silicon valley, i can only imagine what it is these days lol

now we pay $700/week for three kids, which includes the 1st grader for extended school care (cheapest), in a significantly more affordable area

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Aug 10, 2023

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://jccpgh.org/

The Jewish orgs here are the best social orgs and the best way to get competent early childcare for anyone

it's just insanely funny to me that this is where we're at now, religious orgs are the best places to get basic social services. No shade on JCC, they do important poo poo here, but everything is decaying so fast.

lol we used to drive past the fancy jcc p often in palo alto/mountain view and it always reminded me of those walled compounds for rich people right next to favelas in like mumbai

silicon valley is such a shithole and normal people just can't afford to live there anymore

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zodium posted:

Tech workers react to UPS drivers landing a $170,000-a-year package with a mixture of anger and admiration

going to be more of this as the west continues to lose control of the periphery and the ruling class needs fewer bureaucrats to administrate the imperialist machinery.

lol tech workers aren't engineers, how much you wanna bet they hosed up that average salary there conflating the two

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

PMC jobs are largely hereditary and it turns out that a lawyer’s salary doesn’t buy what it bought your dad in the eighties

also true of physicians, millennial docs refer to the period of boomers entering the field (80s and 90s) as the "golden era" of pay

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/07/realestate/microgrid-solar-power-energy.html

This is where the future is headed. I'd bet that in 20 years all the new tract home developments will have neighborhood-level backup power. Rich people in older houses will all have their own backup power. Once everyone who matters is isolated from power outages, the grid will be allowed to rot and collapse and those without backup power will experience multiple weeks without power annually.

My mother in law in Texas already has experienced more than a week in total without power just on that year with the cold winter.

i had friends in nola who were without power for ~3 months after katrina

one of their moms ended up bribing an entergy guy in a cherry picker to do their street next

the hurricane coast is so hosed for infrastructure lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
up uP UP

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
there's a short story by i believe stephen king about future america where every family lives in their cars and constantly drives 24/7 because the government pays you per mile (in order to consume gas and other car industry stuff because that's the entire economy now)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Eric Cantonese posted:

The problem with this idea is that no one seems to grasp fully how ridiculously long baby boomers will live. Their lifespans are going to break records, but that also means more decades than usual of needing money without working. I think this supposed great inheritance is not going to happen.

also end of life care's insanely expensive and not getting better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AloePieceOfShit posted:

This popped up in my google feed:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/08/rural-montana-housing-crisis-supply/674950/

I hope this isn't a preview of the "solution" for the housing crisis. Not having single-family zoning is a fine starting point, but it seems like nothing is gonna be done about standards for the eventual units or Airbnb/wealthy out of staters from buying everything that isn't an apartment

i like it

treating "building our way out of a housing shortage" as a bad thing is weird asf