Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

I saw that table earlier and it's pretty cool but also way more expensive than I want to spend. I don't have tools but that's what fathers-in-law are for, though now that I think of it I also have some scene designer friends who would also be easily bribed into some simple cutting and live much closer. Something like a 1/2" to 3/4" thick sheet is what I've been figuring on.

If you're in the UK you can buy foldable decorating/pasting table - it's a bit of plywood sheet with wooden bracing built. Normally they're a pair of 3'x 1.5' rectangles joined at the short edge with hinges but you can easily move the hinges to get a square. Saves a lot of the woodworking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bucnasti posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea there were that many.
And that just makes the number of space marines even more ridiculous, we have twice as many navy seals as there are Space Marines in a company.

It was posted somewhere that modern militaries are getting infected with spec-ops brain leading to disproportionately large spec-ops units. Everyone wants to cosplay Call of Duty with a side of warcrimes rather than sit in a trench or in a guard tower for some reason.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Imagine the look if each squad of marines was accompanied by twice their number of slaves/thralls who exist only to carry ammo and reload their masters guns.

It's actually canon.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

Honestly the Fourth Tyrannic War stuff in the Leviathan fluff section felt far more like a return to form on that front, it's really just about Leontus and Trajan wrangling the Imperial war machine into a defensive footing against a titanic Tyranid swarm headed for earth, aside from the planetoid Tyranid that's a clear Dead Space reference at the end there's nary a super weapon or showdown with a supervillain to be found.

The final battle where Trajann beats a knight-sized Tyranid in hand to hand combat doesn't count?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have any sellers of PLA/3D printed terrain they like? Looking to get a couple 4x4 tables going for combat patrol and some other games.

If you're in the UK look up WoofooWorkshop on Etsy. Does amazing work.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

oh drat I just ordered a bunch of magnet circle bases from them I had no idea sorry, I will make sure to not order for them again and keep them out of the OP.

If GSW had only waited until 2022 to release their Sonnenrad texture roller they would've been fiiiiine.

Their history (besides the aforementioned Nazi texture roller) is they are patent trolls and have tried to drive other companies out of the business by copying their work and then patenting/copyrighting it first in Spain and then C&Ding the original creators. Their tentacle roller isn't their own idea for example. Neither are their colourshift paints.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stephenls posted:

Yeah, that scans.

gently caress.

US shipping to ROW has always been stupidly expensive- $20 for the cheapest, smallest, slowest and untracked parcel.

For better or worse it stopped me buying metal Battletech models since I would pay more in shipping than product most of the time.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr Teatime posted:

Every now and then I make the mistake of attempting to read the entries in 40k wikis while I’m trying to look up obscure chapter markings or something. Literally every time the writer manages to hold their report style writing perspective for about 5 seconds before crashing into writing their action fan fiction where suddenly we’re getting a novel style play by play of characters actions and thoughts. They just can’t resist.

You do know that somemost of the text in the fanwikis is lifted wholesale from the source material right?

If you want to read fanfiction play by plays then you want 1d4chan where you can get your fill of proper edgy 40k fanfiction.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would not suggest anyone expect the 2ft long resin wings on fulgrim to last long on the completed model

You can probably swap them for the Morathi wings. You know, the other snake-demigod.

GW must have something for special sexy snakes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Assault Terminators spring or summer next year to tie in with other releases like Dark Angels + maybe summer brings Blood Angels and/or Space Wolves? Really seems poor they couldn't bring them out at the same time given how silly it is to have primarised regulars but smol-rear end, don't they know we like big booty?

You can probably just use the Assault bits on the new Terminators. Each box comes with full set of claws and hammers so they're always dirt cheap to buy as bitz.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

Not at all. Even the Nazis weren't Nazis about it:

Between different manufacture, variation in materials, uneven wear, and a hundred other factors, "uniform" uniforms are probably the least realistic thing you could paint.

And that was for one nation with a more or less unified industrial base.

Your average black legion squad is probably made of dudes who just walked off the Siege of Terra, dudes who've spent the last 10k years on the run in realspace, others who have been marinating in the warp for that same amount of time. Sure they're all wearing black but paint made from tortured souls looks different to the black dried blood paint which is again different from the stuff they liberated from the Black Templars.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

I await the day when GW turns Nottingham into the UK's first corporate town.

Shame the old lore where the Golden Throne was actually situated in Nottingham got retconned.

AndyElusive posted:

It's dumb, yes.

But I have a suspicion that players have come up with much dumber reasons for why a GK army would fight a Sisters army on the table top.

You know the most probably in-universe reason is small doctrinal disagreement like if Sanguinala was supposed to be in December or January.

Professor Shark posted:

I can see why GW would be nervous about creating celebrities after Duncan became super popular, left, then created his own paint brand based on his reputation

You create people like Duncan spin off and create competing products on one hand, and you also risk creating more Tony Cottrells that you have to somehow purge. I can see why it's really a lose lose from the corporate side though more Duncans is hardly a loss to the hobby.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

lmao forever that a bunch of the 40K cards were credited to "Games Workshop" including the Blanche golden throne painting

Wasn't there a big hoo ha when it turned out that one of the big Magic artists had... interesting opinions and had to be cancelled?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

Not going to name and shame, at least yet. They were very combative with me at first, but seem to be relenting. I don't know how you could ever think that was a legit model though. They have a good reputation, so this is very surprising.

It could legitimately be a miscast that made its way out of GW. They always had the attitude of bad QA but excellent CS and replaced everything with little question.

I recall buying both a BFG Battleship and Epic Warlord titan. Both ended up in the pile of shame for years before I sold them still unopened to buyers that reported a titan had 2 left legs and a battleship missing half a hull. These were both direct from GW mail order.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah speed paints are extremely useful as heavy washes or as glazes even if you have no interest in using them as advertised.

They're amazing filters run through an airbrush as well.

Underspray of Garaghak Sewer ftw.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

If you don't have one already, an Xacto Knife is an invaluable multitasker for hobbying, great for cleaning mold lines, shaving down back connection points, or cleaning sprue join bits. I also really like the Citadel Mold Line Cleaner, which is completely unnecessary but also I will never be without one.

A good quality boxcutter with a metal body (Olfa) is a good alternative to an Xacto if you want something that feels a bit more sturdy - especially useful if you ever get into cutting up bigger pieces of plastic.. I've also heard of people using Stanley knives as well but those feel a bit too brutal.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Another tip for cheap plastic cement - you can buy MEK/butanone/methylethylketone from chemical suppliers for a fraction of the price of Tamiya extra thin and their airbrush cleaner and its the actual "hot" ingredient in the glue that does the melting. If you find yourself getting into the hobby a big way buying the solvent by the litre is much more cost effective.

Tamiya Extra Thin 40ml £4.75
Tamiya Airbrush Thinner 250ml £10.75
Methylethylketone 1000ml - £12.00

Most solvent glues are some combination of methylethylketone + acetone to make it easier to handle but I've found plain MEK to be excellent. Particularly when I use to melt mold lines and have to use lots of it. I do keep some Mr Cement SP and Tamiya Extra thin on standby for special occasions.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

a fatguy baldspot posted:

You melt sprue lines?? How tf does that work without getting the stuff everywhere?

This really only works for really fine mould lines, especially if they're running through areas of fine detail that you can't get a blade into. The classic example is the ribbing texture on genestealers.

Scrape what you can off as usual and then just brush on the glue. This really only works with the solvent types (Tamiya Extra Thin, Mr Cement SP, PlasticWeld, MEK). Like the other goon has said you can use the brush to agitate the surface slightly to blur the lines even more. Use a natural hair brush for this (any cheap one will do) as the synthetic brushes may melt or degrade. I've got a cheap hogshair brush that I've used to apply glue for nearly 15 years and it's still going.

Don't do this with GW plastic glue as it has some plastic monomer in it and will gum up the detail.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

The models look great, but with the old guardsman kit I can cut out all the legs, then the bodies, then the pairs of arms, and then the heads, put them in a pile of each thing and just assemble them all on auto pilot without thinking.

With the CAD design stuff it looks sexy as hell but it comes from very specific cuts and ways the models go together. Just slows down the building process that's all.

Generally most kits are numbered so the parts go together sequentially. The 1 leg will fit the 2 leg will fit the 3 torso etc. I find it generally quite easy to just clip everything out and sort them into little piles for subsequent cleaning and assembly. No need to worry sbout modularity means this is fairly straightforward.

Edit ^^^ you can still blend Anvil industry bits with modern Cadians seamlessly.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sherbert Hoover posted:

That's just what the default Impcat battle sister model is called, so that user isn't asking for anything weird. But yeah...

Someone was asking on Facebook for Sororitas colour scheme suggestions for a nearly nude 3d print. :rolleyes:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Demilich posted:

To add, many bits on aliexpress are like this (flat) as well. To get around this flaw, use a knife tip to make a central point so you can keep your bit steady. I literally just stick the tip of the blade in and spin it a little bit, it works like a charm.

The pin vice itself that I got off Aliexpress however for $4 each are amazing though.

More like ebay "deals"
The prices are terrible usually.

To add more to this.

Dspiae (China Gundam modelling accessories maker) have a very nice pin vice which has an proper chuck like what you'd get on a power drill - it'll grab onto anything from sub-millimetre bits up until 3mm bits. It also costs the same as a regular cheapo hobby pin vice.

For drill bits I would suggest going to a hardware store and specifically buying singles
The bits in packs are usually poo poo and I went through so many until I realised that spending £3 for a pack of 20 useless HSS bits isn't the saving compared to spending £3 on a single cobalt bit that goes through pewter like a hot knife through butter.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

The spear is an optional piece for the real sickos who have no intent to ever transport that model. There's a sword that goes on the same arm so you can at least eliminate that if you're worried. He's going to need his own carefully laid out foam case with those wings though. I think the fragility of resin is a bit overstated, but the spines on those wings are begging to snap off.

There's the bendy engineering resin that 3d printers use that would be the best bet for that ridiculous model but I don't think any of the casting resins have the same properties.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Yes if any part of your vehicle can see its target it can shoot the full complement of guns.

Is it considered modelling for advantage to give your Baneblade a 12 inch tall fire control director tower?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

3 Action Economist posted:

Yes.

But also that cuts both ways.

Guess that's one reason GW never made any telescoping parts.

Imagine a tower that goes up in your turn, and down in your opponent's. RAW there's nothing to say your models can't have action parts. :pseudo:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

You should do that, but use the Cinematic Marine rules. And maybe double the amount of points the opponent gets as well.
Frankly GW should just re-release those rules updated for 11th, under a giant label of "This is very silly and should be treated as such".

Didn't someone make a list comprised entirely of Space Marine Captains? That would be the equivalent of the movie marines.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

No Luck Needed posted:

Mr Cement is good too, but you should be able to find both at Hobby Lobby

Mr Cement SP (purple top) is the same pure solvent-style glue like Tamiya Extra Thin but better IMO. More melty, cures faster but doesn't seem to evaporate as quickly as Extra Thin for some reason.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stephenls posted:

Plastic cement like Tamiya Extra Thin (and also things like Citadel Plastic Cement) is a solvent that melts plastic; once the cement evaporates the plastic hardens again, and so you use it to bond two pieces of plastic by essentially making them into one piece of plastic. It only works on styrene plastic, though -- no resin, no PVC (so, Reaper Bones type material), no metal. For those materials you need superglue or epoxy, which are actual glues -- a separate compound that bonds things to itself.

It's also worth distinguishing between the pure solvent cements (Extra Thin, Mr Cement SP) vs regular plastic cements (GW, regular Tamiya and Mr Cement). The former need the parts to be properly flush for a bond as the material needs to be able to melt together and fuse. The latter does have a small amount of plastic dissolved in so it can bridge small gaps. Sprue goo just takes this to the extreme by dissolving a lot more plastic into the scent.

Older plastic kits tend to be a lot more gappy and the solvent cements have a harder time with them. Newer kits with their ultra-fine CAD tolerances do better with the solvents - the downside of the plastic-infused cements is they leave a residue which is less desirable when there's no gap to fill.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Super Waffle posted:

I remember back in the day reading posts about game store weirdos using their own blood for their chaos marines.

There's the ultimate poorhammer guide about how to preserve dragonfly wings to use on Hive tyrants because you can't afford the official GW dragon wings.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

That fraying definitely just shows up because I zoomed in on the camera. :v: At a regular distance it looks fine. But funny enough I do have beeswax in the house. Although I think it might be a bit too late to fix that now, but I'll see what I can do. Or just brush on some watered down pva before I get to priming.

When you paint it the paint will act in a similar fashion and stick it down.

I wouldn't use beeswax as that's going to repel your water based acrylic paints and make it impossible to paint.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hmmm, now I am wondering about the logistics about being in a tank for a long period of time where it may not be safe to exit the vehicle.

Now I am gonna have to bounce over the Historical thread and ask Cessna where they go while tanking around.

Bag everything up and add it to the main gun's load to have an extra spicy biohazard shell.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

That's why the key part is to get lost in some corner of the galaxy that Imperium forgot about, or already conquered and then forgot about again.

Turns out there was s renegade chapter living in Terra's garbage reclamation continent all this time.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

I would actually dig a new tallarn desert raiders using modern middle east militant aesthetics mixed in with bedouin/ottoman aesthetics but lol that would bequite the spicy meatball for games workshop

Tallarn raiders with coloured headbands allied with the Valhallans with hammer and sickles all over their stuff.

See how long it takes before someone starts ranting at you.

Mr Teatime posted:

Look up the old forgeworld Tallarn decal sheet if you want to discover which guard regiment is secretly the most fash.

Edit: I can’t find the sheet now but the insignia is literally the symbol of the Afrika Korp with the swastika hot swapped for an eagle.

Am I wrong in thinking that the Afrika Korps used a palm tree as their insignia? Vaguely remember seeing something like that on the FoW decal sheets.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Possibly my best conversion work I've done so far, despite it being a simple head and arm swap.

The butt stripes are :discourse:

Lostconfused posted:

There's some UK studio that still makes political orc bits

They're Polish. :pervert:

Lostconfused posted:

If you're going for the Jin-Roh look you should just slap Krieg heads on scions or kasrkin imo, you won't get the 100% nazi look without the stahlhelm, but what can you do.

If you're up for 3rd party bits Anvil have some Jin-Roh-ish bits as well. They'll also sell you the MG-42s.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

:v:
That's supposed to be some pretty noticeable butt pads, but got sloppy with highlights. Probably a good thing because those pads are kind of silly.

I forgot that the model had butt pads. Bizarre design decision on GW's part.

Dedicated Transport (Bicycle)?
Something something dummy thicc?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wrr posted:

I ordered some stuff from him in September and still haven't seen in. When I asked about where they were he said that he was just finishing up casting some things and was going to send them out the next night. That was in October. I've heard nothing from him since.

Make sure you put the PayPal claim in before time runs our.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

jadebullet posted:

That is extremely simple of a solution and I love it. Thanks guys. (I also have a poo poo ton of spare chainswords)

Failing that anyone with the new 30k marines will have an absolute ton on chain bayonets which are essentially the same thing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
For most of the legions isn't the whole "resemble your primarch" thing more like a "you look like your dad" rather than "we're actually twins" schtick the Alpha Legion have going on?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Buy some Nivea and use that sparingly on your sculpting tools. Best greenstuff hack I've ever learned.

Aha another Nivea user! :hfive: But any moisturizing cream will work just as well.

Virtual Russian posted:

Mixing it 50/50 with some milliput makes it much nicer to work with, it has a far better texture too. You are absolutely right that letting it set a bit makes it easier to work, especially for thin cloth. I also suggest working in small steps, letting each step cure fully. It will slow down progress, but gives you a lot more control and makes things more manageable. The biggest mistake I always made when learning to sculpt was trying to do too much too fast. If you work small the mistakes you make are small.

Addendum to this as a general tip for cloaks, cloth, banners is to roll it flat when it's still soft between some parchment paper, let it partially cure then cut it to shape and mould it then.

Also another thing I took a long time to realise is not to try forcing a thin piece of greenstuff into folds for a cloak. You'll always get a better result doing some rough folds and then adding more sausages of greenstuff on afterwards to make the folds and creases.

I say this because I made a recon marine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nazzadan posted:

The new Fall of Cadia book strikes a real good balance for the Guard between cannon fodder and ultimate badasses. There's a good scene near the end where kasrkins are loaded up in Valkyries and just fly around a battlefield disabling Rhinos from the air and when the chaos space marines get out of them they rappel down and wipe out entire squads of Black Legionaries. And I went "oh wow those guardsmen hosed up those legionaries easily, that doesnt seem quite right" and then the next sentence goes "and also most of the kasrkins died doing this but they jump back in the Valk and do it again because it's what they do," and it makes more sense. Really good book, kinda makes me want to start some of the other Guard-centric series.

Isn't this what Kasrkins do in game though? Drop down next to some high value target, vapourize it and promptly die to return fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
The other trick is all the parts are numbered sequentially. Part 2 is going to go onto part 3 and so forth. You will almost never get a part numbered 2 somehow joining with part 37. So with a typical humanoid will have between 5-6 parts and 1-6 will be guy #1, 7-12 will be #2 and so on.