Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Why do all the people who are 6' nothing think they're too big for most bikes? Congratulations, you're like an inch above average.

an inch over average is quite a big deal. :v:

that said I look like a wad of intestine on a cbr250 at 5'11".

My spouse gets mad at me when I show him this video. :D. he's an inch shorter than the guy riding the GS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

That "headlight" has got to be loving blinding to incoming traffic. I would have a very unfriendly conversation with the owner if I would ever meet them.

haha thats a 7" amazon chinese lightbar, its bright, but no brighter than some newer headlight.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
IIRC some of em have timing chain issues too. but only on one side, or something odd like that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
thats not many miles for a klr. make sure the doohickey is done.

DRZ is significantly better to ride offroad. Firetrails or not. and the learning curve hurts less when you dump a lighter bike offroad.
If you're a fairly strong/big dude you can muscle a KLR around. It will wear you out.

Onroad? Imo they both suck. but you can make them suck less with seats, windscreens, and other bolt on bullshit.

I've owned both, and rack a shitload of miles on and offroad. No loving way would I go back to a KLR unless it had not 1980s suspension and power.

DRZ has its own issues too, make sure the locktite fixes are done.
Stators last ~20,000mi. Valves tend to come apart with high miles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

DRZs take neither of those things.

Mine does.

Out here, thats a $55-6000 bike. I'm not a fan of that specific headlight, but the rest of the modifications are good and tactful. Try throwing 4 and see if they counter.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'm 100% certain that youtube is the reason I can't do wheelies and am reluctant to try to learn.

why? its a great example of what not to do.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah do it. they're good stone reliable bikes.

I'm lusting after a sibling of it, the x-challenge.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

You mean brake lights aren't electronics? :(

Do headlights count then? :ohdear:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

They do if they're LEDs! :hfive:

LED *and* HID. :hfive:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
same here. even junkers go for $rape$

heh, I paid more for a rolling frame than I have for most prior bikes/cars, and I was able to drive them home.

E: yeah its old, its carburetored. but its not particularly broken so why fix it?

the little bsr carb can be fixed with a fcr swap pretty easily though. Its no YZ off road, or a EXC on, but it wasn't meant to be.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Hemi with 40k miles on it. It's been at Dodge for the last three weeks - I took it there because I have a warranty on the loving thing that covers ERRAYTHING.

Long story short, it's still there because it wasn't the headgasket that they replaced, or the head, or the cyl 1 injector, or the ECU, or the wiring harness, or...

A+ would buy warranty again.

loving hell, pin the tail on the diagnostic donkey much? :catstare:

Z3n posted:

And you need a truck.

Or a bus. :D

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Lol that thing is a monster beyond compare, just FYI!

nooooo poo poo. Please becareful if you get that thing Tactical Lesbian.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
God drat I hate you guys.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5279893661.html

lol at cyber monday sale

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My spouse is a midget (5'4") and rides a dr650. He'll take it almost anywhere, and where he won't I'll do it for him.

Spend a little money on the suspension, especially the rear shock. Front forks have a collar inside you can flip to drop the bike's ride height, the shock has a second hole to put the pivot into to drop it as well.

TM40 carb really wakes em up.

Having owned a KLR, don't do that. also BMW F650s are pretty drat reliable, so don't rule those out. (they're also injected)

as for DR/DRZ? If you want to do tight technical stuff, DRZ. if you prefer superslab and double track, DR. With skill you can take them both to the same places.

E: Sometimes he'll do poo poo like this:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 11, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

How about a ktm 640? folks love those bikes.

Theres a couple 640s local to me.

this ones fuggo, but its cheap as hell.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/5340570008.html

theres a 640 adventure for trade too....I'm so very tempted to throw the drz at him.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Cheap, reliable and interesting.

You will only ever be able to find two.

I'm good at taking two and turning it into one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Having owned a prior track bike that I took to street legal. Don't do that. Just don't.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

35,000 miles isn't really all that much... A few months ago I stopped into an Iron Pony store to look around and they had a VStrom with somewhere in the neighborhood of 105,000 miles. Heck, my KLR had about 40,000 miles on it when I sold it, and it was running great.

Yeah this. especially on a bmw adventure bike.

My drz has almost the same mileage. but on its third engine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its only fun if you forget to put your stand up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My spouse picked up a 07 dr650 with 30 thousand miles for 4grand.... they're something alright.
He involuntarily put a 790cc kit and a new head on it after it swallowed a valve.

klr vs dr? DR. its marginally less of a pig to right when you dump it in the dirt.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/5512800533.html

I found a thing, and one of you fuckers should totally take this home.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You could also not buy lovely carbs.
I hated carburetors till I bought a proper flatslide.

Clitch posted:

Bricknose diesel F-250. Room in the back for a bike.

This guy knows whats going on.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah this is easy to say cause you have a dirty single but buying four non-lovely carbs for a powerful bike is hysterically expensive compared to just buying a similar bike with efi and geting a PC. I understand where you're coming from but if you have the choice of buying a bike without them it's a no-contest from every angle.

Valid point. years ago I had a fzr hybrid with cv carbs and that was just a motherfucking pain in the rear end. I eventually learned how to tune them, after ordering 3/4 of the parts for a efi conversion.
Would I do it again? god no, I'd get a late model r6 and call it quits.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

5'4" 130lbs dude.

You obviously never met z3n.

He's a little tiny bugger. :3:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I think it is less that 5'2" is respectable and more that anyone who is 5'2" is respected

Midget rage is a hell of a thing. I know, I married a short one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

astrollinthepork posted:

Yeah, black as coffee like 90% of used vehicles in the US. It is a super good indicator for cheapo vehicles in my experience.

yuuup.
I've never owned a car/bike with clear brake fluid at purchase. (58 cars, 7 bikes, 2 buses)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

I'm only 27, there's time yet :v:

Me too. :v:

Nobody fucks with brakes. that noise? eh just turn the radio up louder. that mushy pedal? eh whatever. the 19 warning lights and the full audi that just happened? oh gently caress.
also in the deserty areas brakefluid tends to hold out a little better than the states with seasons.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

You should have a try at riding through Atlanta sometime.

I'd highly recommend MSF. if not, hey, its your rear end, not mine. I hear flip flops and boardshorts are adequate protection too, ontop of gixxahs being best around.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Solvent posted:

I've basically done all the dumb poo poo I plan on doing already, and am trying to blend mature and cool in some sort of way that causes me not to hate the pedantic life of a research psychologist.

Edit:
Any tips on what to buy in terms of that safety gear?
Like brands and styles?
I mean, like there's a lot of stuff out there, so places to start help a bunch.
Pretend I'm dumb, and pls jus pst.
Like, for the thread lurkers and all.

1. hahaha you say that now. Wait till you progress onto /other/ bikes.
a cop caught me yesterday wheelie-ing off a sidewalk after a fillup, he didnt bother me. a year ago? would have never done that.

2. Nice come around, welcome :3:

3. styles of gear is very per-person. Generally I'm p happy with sidi boots, rs-taichi gloves. I've used a icon variant for almost a year, fantastic helmet but it fogs kinda easy. Also tool around in various 1 piece suits. textile is offroad only for me.

to answer your other question. never had anything stolen bike wise, but I ride boring dull old poo poo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

Nobody needs more than 130-140HP on a bike

Need? want.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've been clocked on a yz250 supermoto at 93mph.

Get a 125. you'll hate yourself less when you whiskey that fucker playing in mud or if that dumb rock jumps out at you.
If you have *really* good health insurance, CR500 with a big bore kit. :D

IAmKale posted:

Speaking of dual sport, I started researching a few of them as well. Any thoughts on something like the Suzuki DR-Z400S? How about a Yamaha FZ-07?

Get the fuckin' dr-z. Learn how to ride over curbs and pop lovely wheelies. My first was a 4 pot 600cc. ain' nothing compares to supermoto/dualsport bullshittery.
and drat sure don't get a 4 pot 600cc as a first bike.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
T63s work well on those fat fucks. also if you look super hard you can find a flush mount allen drain plug that won't tear out.

Do the doo, and throw the betterer round spring on it.

You can't kill em. (but i can)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cylinder config does matter

Relay this to bmw. thanks~ in regards to the horizontal twin

You also forgot thumpers. :cry:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like you need a temporary KLR!

Ouch. Be nice to the guy

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm p happy with my doubletakes + lanesplitting. if they do make contact they just fold in harmlessly. in SF I'll just fold em in and go froggering through the maze.

bark busters though. heheheheh.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
3 thou on a 434 is fine. if it had like 500 miles, yeah i'd go running, gently caress that. A lot of people just simply start throwing go fast poo poo at them because disposable income and its slow out of the box.
434 would make it a 94mm bore which is A-OK. go over 95 you start having reliability issues.
a bbk/carb/cams do wake them up, but its still a drz at the end of the day. If you want to go fully retarded like I did, you can really get some poke outta em, but still a drz.

WR is lighter, EFI, and has an aluminum frame. I've never ridden one personally so I can't give you a very fair comparison.
I've ridden several drzs in various stages of stock to unstock. Stock they're very very meh but you can flog it mercilessly without a single gently caress given. They're the Honda Civic of supermoto.

Dr650? gently caress yeah they rule for midget people. My spouse owns a 07' model thats lowered ontop of lowered ontop of loving low. I'm a tall bastid and hate riding it through rough poo poo for him, but it does the job. Supermoto? ehhh, depends on your use. They're heavy. His has a 790 kit on it, and id say it feels similar to that of a 434 drz. the PO handled the suspension and its so loving niiiiice on the highway.

E: I've put 16 thou on mine, and aside from a lovely aftermarket cam chain, and me failing to notice a stupid rivet mis-located on a MLS headgasket, its been a pretty consistent moto. It puts up with my dumb bullshit happily. I'd like to start hauling the fucker to track days this spring.

E2: you're bay area yea? if you want come rip mine around the block. I'm in Vallejo.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 11, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Isolationist posted:

I'm $10k into a DR650 sumo build, can 100% confirm its not worth it and it'd be a million times smarter to just buy the right tool straight off the bat (KTM 690 SMC > 790 DR).

Sup bottomless pit suzuki buddy :shrek:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Valves made of cheese that stretch too far before a yamaha is even halfway through a top end is not reliable.

having a license plate is good too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol just ride the loving drz. i've taken mine with a stock seat to death valley on knobbies from the bay area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

Wait, isn't there a clear progression from DRZ to a ZRX?

If you don't know what regular maintenance and care is, yes.