Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

LodeRunner posted:

The absolute BEST stack efficiency for a cylindrical cell with the appropriate connectors, housings, etc. is 65%. This is before anything like liquid cooling which, guess what, Damon claims this pack will have. That's right! Industry first! Using the bulkiest, least power-dense cells, they're going to add liquid cooling and have it be lighter and smaller than everyone else!

Just run coolant in the gaps between the cylinders, ez pz :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Ola posted:

or even what such a slider is like in normal use on the handlebars

Completely fine

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

SEKCobra posted:

I sold a GPU recently and one guy asked me to take a photo of the connectors.

Number of displayport/hdmi/-mini connectors can vary a lot within the same type of gpu, and seems like a fair thing to want to know?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Jazzzzz posted:

This is what I use as well. Works fine, but I don't keep it on my keys because 3 bikes, two of which use keyless fobs, and I can never find it in my pocket with gloves on.

I hooked a "smart wireless home controller" up to the opener on the garage I keep my bikes in that lets me open the door with my phone, but something with the way my Cardo comms unit works with the Google assistant breaks using voice commands to open or shut the garage door so the fob opener thing ends up being less hassle. Also, the CCP knows when I leave the house.

Well that's not the only threat:

https://www.cnet.com/news/garadget-bricks-smart-garage-door-opener-after-bad-review-iot/

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Just do the "this old tony" hands-only trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhgBqzOE1Fc

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

cursedshitbox posted:

covid has utterly hosed the bicycle segment over harder than motos. Is a new bike better than a 10 year old bike? sorta yeah, but is it worth the premium? that's up to the user. For most riders? no. Rando jimbob weekend rider is gonna be just as slow on a $500 bike as they will on a $10,000 bike.

I am confused by this; covid has created record motorcycle sales.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Could probably knock someone out with G forces from acceleration

That mighty ~1 g.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

especially after like 6000 rpm it seems to pick up even more.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I hope they have standardized their linked setup by now.

The goldwing linked brakes are maybe the worst setup possible, when you press the rear brake it fully engages the rear brake and one of the two front rotors. The lever at the bar engages just the other front rotor

:psypop:

Two separate braking circuits, baby! (Which is an issue with linked brakes, what if you lose fluid?)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Seems like someone just discovered a new tv series they really like.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

It's dumb as hell when people do, because the lines in the road are a standard length and it's trivial to calculate speed by counting them.

From Google Maps it looks like the marking standard in the UK is 30 feet from one line segment to the next. He passes 10 lines (300 feet) in 68 frames (2.26 seconds), for a speed of ~145 km/h in the arbitrary section I measured.

If the authorities gave a poo poo, they could do the exact same thing and bust him just fine. Fortunately nobody gives a poo poo

3 boys driving one of their dad's BMW did that over here, got convicted by counting light posts along the road. Then it got overturned because the video never showed which of the three were driving.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Jazzzzz posted:

Aren't most automotive Li-based battery packs just a shitload of 18650 cells strung together with some sort of charge management system, encased in a big fuckoff aluminum enclosure and possibly some active cooling? I didn't think Tesla was really doing anything different there except packaging and some marketing woo

Nah, the part tesla does differently is this:

Jazzzzz posted:

just a shitload of 18650 cells strung together

Real Other car makers use prismatic/pouch cells.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

opengl128 posted:

Always wave at kids because they almost universally think motorcycles are the coolest thing in the world.

Their parents not so much lol.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0hv0NEvXWI&t=1170s

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It looks like you almost HAVE to have a passenger to wheelie a goldwing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MO-vrFSZl8&t=164s

Is that a turbo goldwing

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

some kinda jackal posted:

Then again, the number of time I've had my blinker on for 10 minutes on the Ninja really proves I might not look down ENOUGH as is.

Don't need to look down to press the indicator reset. :hmmyes:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I got to remind my instructor she had left her indicator on, it was great. (She got to remind me plenty more times)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Opopanax posted:

I failed my first road test because my instructor didn't cover turn signals at all and I genuinely didn't know you had to turn them off manually :downs:

Woof, demand a refund

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

On BMW cars, a light tap the other direction cancels three-blink mode, which is great. My driving instructor laughed his rear end off at me trying to subsequently cancel left-right-left etc on his nissan that didn't do this. (Light tap just started a new three blink the other direction)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Strife posted:

Legal in many states but still vilified and looked down on by people who've lived most of their lives with it being illegal (despite never actually partaking nor actually considering the benefits), so they'll often go out of their way to give you a hard time about it/try to kill you because you're doing something they feel they have a moral disagreement with?

Yup, reading US horror stories of car drivers casually trying to murder you :staredog:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

So just now I followed a guy on one for about 2 miles as he wobbled his way down a five lane road, never once lifting his feet off the ground. I wonder what his shoe soles look like

:staredog:

(Get a gopro)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

This is the picture from the article. The one posted above doesn't even have mirrors?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Slavvy posted:

What the gently caress is a maxim seriously you can't just say that with no pics or context or anything

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I can't be expected to remember things that happened 4 days ago :eng99:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Chris Knight posted:

Fuckin Hapsburg headlight

:hmmyes:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Steakandchips posted:

Salvador Dali headlight.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Pinlock can get saturated, maybe water was running down into it or something.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I guess some people here dont watch pro cycling

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Slavvy posted:

?....???

Niken is extremely common as a support/camera bike. It's the only place I've seen them.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

TescoBag posted:

I bought an Indian Scout Bobber as my first bike.

I don't have a licence yet.

I'm a moron, but I couldn't stop myself.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810736&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Invalido posted:

quote:

If your motorcycle has a windshield, the windshield wipers and washers are checked - make sure you have filled up washer fluid before the inspection.

lol

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

some kinda jackal posted:

I mean I'm not in danger of buying an EV or scooter so it's a moot point for me. Is it a non-issue though?

Yes. Electric cars are some of the easiest things to drive.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

knox_harrington posted:

Maybe in traffic. Importantly Teslas don't have proper blended brakes so the only regeneration you get is from the engine braking / 1-pedal milk float mode. All other manufacturers have a system that seamlessly transitions between regen and friction brakes.

Driving in the city yeah maybe there's a case but I definitely want separate accelerator and "brake" for mountain roads.

1 pedal driving rocks actually (in the i3 I've driven a bunch). And it's not like the brake pedal is not there? So when you move off the accelerator that means you've got maximum regen braking, and can "seamlessly" add as much friction brakes as you need. (Just like engine braking on an ICE)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

knox_harrington posted:

The Taycan I've driven a bunch (because it's mine) has proper accelerator and brake controls. Having driven friend's model s, I definitely wouldn't prefer one pedal driving for the mountains where I live.

I have no idea why you think having engine braking and braking on the brake pedal is somehow more "proper". Does the car just coast when you let off the accelerator? Like an automatic

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Jazzzzz posted:

nah, they're still lobbying against helmet laws.

https://americanmotorcyclist.com/voluntary-helmet-use/

:aloom:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

LimaBiker posted:

The new system: 11kW at 18, 35kW at 20, full power at 22, between each step you need to do the exams again

This is also different here, if you have your licence for 2 years, you can get the next tier with a one day course, no exam needed.

Also we have A1 at 16.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I get so warm using a chin curtain I pretty much never do, but the noise reduction is nice.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Rolo posted:

He got it cause the gsxr isn’t fast enough.

Having just watched a youtube "race" where the R1 rider changed gears at like 7k rpm, I'm very curious about where your friend upshifts.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Toe Rag posted:

It's like a more impressive version of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwbpi3B5_Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV--yAJ9lJ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZYNZHlnoE4

I still kind of find this interesting how just some specifically timed "boops" can make such difference sounds.

Funny you should say that, the creator of the engine sim has mentioned those videos specifically as an inspiration for the project.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Strife posted:

then lost some huge portion of YouTube subs that immediately subbed to Spite’s new channel.

He lost 10k out of 1.1 million.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1586411481574166528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

busalover posted:

I like Bimota's new KB4 RC

What's going on with the half filled wiper fluid coolant tank, at what I assume is the lowest point of the cooling system? How would that work

lol at bigger sidepods than mercedes F1