Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I've been reading this thread for the last ~50 pages in search of something which would make me feel disgust for humankind rather than cynical resignation.

Hit the nail on the loving head, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I'm assuming they both can't use the ladder, so this comic is saying that for one to succeed, the other has to be left to die in a hole. And that's preferable to working together to get out.

Look if one provides help to someone else, then

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Radish posted:

America seems like a pretty safe place if there were only 300 firearm related deaths (I know that they are dishonestly ignoring handguns) in a year. Not sure what the gun owners are so scared of!

But what if you get the chance to kill someone, how could you possibly pass that up?!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

climboutonalimb posted:

This is dumb. Of course the liberal punches him, the rear end in a top hat, back. What you don't do is swing wildly and KO 30 babies strategically placed around him in an effort to get a shot in.

E: The keyword is innocent which Mr Hero here strategically overlooks to make his dumb meme.

Look, if it's legitimate innocence the babies' bodies have ways of shutting the whole thing down.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Defenestration posted:

My gun is a puckle gun. Your argument is invalid.

...also, the Puckle Gun is essentially a giant loving musket with revolving chambers. In order to advance the chambers, though, the operator has to unscrew a mechanism, manually position the chamber flush with the barrel, then tighten it back down. In order to replace cylinders, they have to completely remove the locking lever. While this gave the weapon a pretty significant edge on a single infantryman in terms of average rate of fire, it was absofuckingloutly nothing like a trained shooter with a modern semi-automatic assault rifle. Or a lunatic magdumping into a crowd (though the Puckle Gun also had a 'shot' option which fired :stare:19 goddamn musket balls:stare:, so it would be pretty effective in this scenario).

In other news, I've been six-degrees-of-wikipedia-ing other early didn't-quite-catch-on repeating firearms for the better part of the last hour. Holy poo poo I want to make some of these! What ever happened to the days when a (:bahgawd:white) gentleman (and absolutely nobody else:bahgawd:) with sufficient funding could just commission a foundry to make them a custom five-round revolving cannon OBAMA!!?!??!??! :freep:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that making a conflict personal by viciously targeting an opponent's loved ones is an excellent tactic for keeping it from escalating out of control.

e:vvvv 1986, right? They're literally suggesting that the USA should look at the USSR as a role model.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 24, 2015

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Argue posted:

oh no help guys i'm in checkmate what do i do???

My plan if anything like this were to happen would be to press charges for assault. Turns out you can get in trouble for just attacking someone for no reason here! quickly magdump my way through my private arsenal which I keep loaded and hidden throughout my home like the Great White Armed Citizen I'm supposed to be fetishizing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I don't think you guys understand, the reason we need millions of guns and billions of tons of ammunition just sort of wafting throughout our society is so that the post-apocalyptic RPG our entire history was created as the foundation/backstory of can be played on Easy.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I have a theory that I want to share with you. It's about a conspiracy.

e: It's like a much more entertaining version of any statement that starts with "I'm not racist, but"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Well if I ever need to kill myself I know what I'm doing right before.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Bloodnose posted:

This isn't from America, right? No police unit is that tone deaf, right?

Think for a moment before you ask a question you don't want the answer to.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Stop loving responding to LeJackal.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Your personally-operated vehicle is a piece of capital equipment for which you need to have an operator's license, as well as depending on your various levels of government some kind of registration and possibly a check-the-box safety and/or emissions inspection. All of these things are amalgamated and centrally tracked by whichever organization imposes the requirement. The primary (not only) reason for all of that is because it's big and huge and people like to crash them into things, causing injuries and death.

One of the central goals of operating a car, though, is to not kill people. I'm a huge fan of having guns and taking them all out at once with friends and target shooting. I find it kind of terrifying, though, that I can just do that. I've often thought of getting a concealed weapons permit, but gently caress me loving sideways I live in America not the god drat third world. For which purpose, I might add, my single shotgun and collection of small-caliber pistols are completely inadequate. I absolutely never want to return to an active conflict zone without military body armor and weapons, armored vehicles, basically as part of a military force; on the other hand I just really love being able to walk around in public, in comfortable clothes and without weapons, smiling at people and being polite instead of being dressed as a green-gray-flavored big city riot cop.

Seriously what the gently caress. Why does anyone/everyone need to have guns.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I have to admit that I am somehow simultaneously shocked and completely unsurprised that someone that dumb made it to week 5 in Army Basic. Still not the stupidest army private I've ever heard of, a dude I met in basic who had some kind of obvious developmental delay and a tic disorder which rumor of course concluded was Tourette's. That poor bastard showed up for Infantry training thinking that he had enlisted to be not just a cook but a chef! I was in like the second week of basic when all of that news finally filtered over from one of the other platoons, and it was a significant early indication that I had made a substantial mistake from which there was no escape. Happy ending!

Also stealing this video, possibly to put into the schadenfreude thread.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Closing down the schools in the entire loving county definetly qualifies as an overreaction.

look there was the potential for Communism Liebralism Terrorism Satanism Islamanian Influences In Are Skewls, they acted decisively and since The Big Event didn't happen obviously they foiled the plot by doing that $$$$$prais jeesu bles

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Defenestration posted:

and covered in jizz

I'm the approximately 100 mags being stored fully loaded, my springs gradually compressing as my owner whiles away the years desperately hoping for the opportunity to end a human life, making double feeds substantially more likely in the event I'm ever used.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

There's a whole gun nut debate as to whether the continued compression of keeping mags loaded, or compression cycles from loading and unloading mags with the intent of keeping them fresh, is worse for longevity.

lol

Huh, I actually didn't know that. Based solely on my Physics I understanding of springs, I have absolutely no idea how someone could actually think that leaving a spring compressed for several years would somehow make it work better.

In any case, it was certainly true for the beat-to-poo poo mags I used on deployment. Anytime I grabbed one of the spares out of our ammo cans (which were already packed when we signed over our truck from the previous unit), I was guaranteed to have one or two malfunctions, usually double feeds. Since I basically only ever used my rifle to fire warning shots at cars which were getting too close, it was never a big deal, but if I was hoarding ammo for any reason other than a desire to Go Out In A Blaze Of Glory, I would probably only keep ten or so mags ready. Loading them is a mechanical skill that these future barons of the wastelands will need to be practiced at, anyway, since they're so insistent on full-auto fire.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

e: hooooly poo poo, several pages back.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

"Terrified parent punitively strikes child before better judgement reasserts itself," is substantially easier for me to relate to than "terrible parent utilizes lifelong program of physical attacks in order to cow child into obedience."

e: obviously the appropriate course of action is to stare at the child, shriek wordlessly, stomp on the gas, and drive directly into the nearest immovable object

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As a veteran, I don't know what bothers me more, the people who worship the troops, or the guys who demand to be worshiped.

Without a loving doubt. Like, I did my time, got out, went to school and now I'm five months into an actual career based on a real professional skill, something which actually still loving boggles my mind because of how much of a pipe dream it still sounds like. That poo poo is enough for me; pretty hosed up that I needed to spend a couple years as a trained killer in order to get that deal, and it was a pretty goddamn miserable period, but here I am.

Spending a couple of years in an ethically-questionable (and incredibly lovely) government work program in order to earn money for college doesn't make you loving special. The job has its risks and downsides, and yeah I feel like there should be respect within a society for the members of its armed forces, but I don't need the very idea of the ground I walk on to be breathlessly fellated by thousands of gormless fuckwits all across the internet.

Throwing Turtles posted:

Edit. I think all of those examples may have happened in Texas, so it might just be broken there.

Can't speak to the truth or falsity of those events, but I can confirm that Texas is a whirling miasma of fear, anger, and lethal weapons.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

Also the fundies support Israel because the Jews need to be in Israel to bring about Armageddon. No I'm not joking.

My wife's maternal grandfather, a few years before his recent death, actually made several donations to a fund which, this is no poo poo how he explained it, 'provides airfare for Jews who are looking to escape Russia, if they want to return to Israel, so that the apocalypse can happen faster.'

Least important but in my opinion most entertaining, there is the idea that not all of ~The Jews~ actually came from Israel seems to have never crossed his mind. Once, while trapped in a car with his wife (while my wife was asleep in the backseat), I was engaged aggressively on my lack of support for Israel in their conflict with 'those Palestinians.' When I mildly explained about the pattern of war crimes and other despicable behavior, it was scornfully handwaved away for the primary reason of 'well ~the others~ do even worse all the time.'

Also, the third or fourth time I went to visit them, they treated me to a rousing pep talk about a fire team of Marines who were being prosecuted because they executed surrendered enemy combatants in cold blood after a firefight in Afghanistan. I guess they were expecting me, as a recently-discharged infantry soldier, to get all fired up about the injustice of subjecting ARE TROOPS to the the legal penalties for a multiple homicide. Instead they got to sit and listen to me explain about my internal ethical conflict when, during the deployment process, my squad's NCOs got us together to talk about what would have to happen to keep everyone out of jail in the event that we accidentally killed the wrong person. Fortunately we never did, so I never had to actually make a decision!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure the point of the Vietnam/Cuba comparison is to point out the inconsistency on our end, though. Like, they're both nations of brown communists with which America has a history of armed conflict with, obviously one on a larger scale than the other.

Although, as someone born in a world where the ever-present threat of nuclear annihilation is something we all try not to think about as much as possible, I guess it's pretty difficult to quantify the effect that living through the Cuban Missile Crisis and several decades of 'what to do in the instant between your realization that you're about to die and the blast wave's inevitable arrival' instructional videos might have on a society. Really, now that I think about it, there has to be an enormous segment of the American population in whose minds Cuba is a much more serious enemy than Vietnam ever was just because of its proximity.

This loving country, man. This loving country.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A dude just transferred from another department onto the weekend shift that I work with him, and in the middle of a cautious feeling-out conversation I was having with him over a couple of Oregon social policies, he busts out with a description of probably just this loving image.

:wtc: Come on guy, we're blue collar manufacturing but we require technical skills and a fair amount of math. If this is possible, why aren't you doing it instead of standing in my workspace and hogging the magnifying lamp?!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Besides, isn't the usual response to a car approaching a checkpoint at high speed with no intent of stopping to open fire with everything available since it might be a suicide bomber? So under those ROEs, chances are that all occupants of the car would have been killed.

I can definitely confirm that. In general (and individual units vary slightly), the procedure is to wave them off and fire some warning shots before engaging, but the soldier on the spot is supposed to use their judgement; if the threat is coming on quickly you're allowed to skip steps because "your safety and the safety of your fellow soldiers is the highest priority."

When I was deployed, one of the turret gunners from our third platoon wound up engaging and killing the driver of a vehicle that was approaching his checkpoint without slowing down. It turned out that the guy was like 65+ years old and in America would have been considered legally blind, and he just didn't see the checkpoint because of the visibility conditions. Dude (the shooter) did the right thing, but still wound up ending someone's grandpa because grandpa had no idea he was doing anything dangerous or threatening SUPPORT ARE TROOOOPS KEEP EM FITIN'

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

usbombshell posted:

This was in response to a dumb President's Day post from a local radio guy.

Q: Which president in your lifetime was the best, the worst, and the ugliest?

A:

You know, I always hear about how the broadcast radio workforce is facing an age crisis, but that's just over the top.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

The 80s, when everyone still lived in fear of nuclear annihilation: the greatest decade.

To be fair, we still live under the same constant threat of nuclear annihilation, we've just largely managed to stop beating ourselves in the genitals over the possibility.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Got my first Trump supporter threatening on Facebook to beat me up for disagreeing with him. That means I should be proud now, right?

When folks on Facebook went Internet Tough Guy on me, I generally spent a week or so occasionally posting on their wall trying to set up a date and location for their fight. Strangely, I never got any takers, which is too bad because a couple of these folks were from my then-wife's hometown, which we would visit 2-3 times per year (actually meeting up with them would have been feasible). I really wanted to let one of those slack-jawed fuckwits psych themselves up into punching me in front of witnesses and then press charges!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Pro Wrestling has a big black and Latino following which is probably why it's such a big skew.

And who can blame them.

I have no idea of the context of this, but those are three legitimately happy dudes. This is the cutest thing I've ever seen giant sweaty muscle guys do!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You know, I don't think that life in the Soviet Union was quite as bad as the propaganda suggests. I would guess that most people lived decent lives that at least half of the world would envy.

It's hard for people who grew up in a modern western society to understand just how awful life can get, and still be lived. Learning about things that happened in Stalin's USSR was, for me, very similar to learning about the planning and logistical details of the Holocaust as it evolved from roving execution squads to a full on enterprise-scale network of murder factories.

Trying to put myself into the perspective of people who were involved with either certainly...expanded my horizons. To places I hadn't really wanted to consider.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

letthereberock posted:

I love how right wing people always assume that the only reason someone would support Sanders is because they personally want free poo poo from the government. Like - there is no entertaining the possibility that maybe the person supports increased spending on social programs because they want other people to have better opportunities, or because they think something like subsidized secondary education or increased minimum wage is good social policy that will benefit everyone. Nope, it's all "ME ME ME!"

It's projection! After all, those chucklefucks are only shouting so loudly so that they can gently caress over everyone else for what they perceive as their own benefit, after all.

Kind of like how one of the base motivations for anti-feminists is the creeping terror of how women might treat men if they were actually 'equal' (which to them means that the status of the majority genders in society were reversed from its present status, with a matriarchy instead of a patriarchy).

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Is that actually a real gun? Was it designed specifically to compensate?

It looks like an M4/16 (or knockoff style) with nothing on the front rails and the stock ironsight/suitcase handle combo, but with a double drum mag. They're generally a minimum of 100 rounds, and once you rip through the whole drum (or more likely, it develops and internal jam or outright breaks), good luck reloading because if you're the kind of person who owns something like this, in my experience you're not the kind of person who spends a couple hours a week doing reloading drills meaning that you're unlikely to be able to swap a standard mag in a reasonably short time much less manhandle one of these enormous heavy fuckers into your weapon. In the middle of the enormous shootout you and your post-apocalypse buddies are having with with Hordes Of Generic, Menacing Enemies no less!

Seriously, there's a reason they don't issue this garbage in the military and it isn't just the price tag; there's just not a real reason to have something like this because in theory one out of every four infantry soldiers is armed with a real light machine gun, which while notorious for being finicky as gently caress is nowhere near on the level of poo poo like this. If you're in a scenario where you need to have that kind of firepower, but you're not a member of some kind of combat group with at least a modicum of training, the last thing you want is to gently caress around with dick-waving drum mags. And, at least the M249 was designed to be frequently disassembled and reassembled for cleaning and maintenance. I guarantee you run a 50% chance of breaking these mags somehow every time you open them up.

Ron Jeremy posted:

We had a range at my high school. It's still there, but they shoot air rifles instead of .22 like back in my day.

Shooting is fun and kids should be taught how to handle a firearm safely.

I graduated in 2003 and we had an air rifle range which used to be for .22s in the basement of the gym building, I was on the rifle team and it was a blast overall! Also, I was told by the senior JROTC instructor that the main motivation for switching from the (breech-loading) firearms to the air rifles was financial; apparently there were a ton of little savings to be had when the schools were no longer storing live ammunition in terms of insurance coverage and extra safety systems. Not to mention what's happened to the cost of .22 rounds over the last 5-6 years.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

So this guy on Facebook is arguing for a national language for private communication (not just official documents), which would be an expansion of the federal government's power. You might be able to make a First Amendment argument against it.

Uh, "might?" Legally requiring all written or verbal communication to be carried out only in a single language? Also :wtc: how do people come to hold these opinions. What even in the gently caress.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

This dude loves ranting about how "redskin" is totally not offensive at all and that if people cry about that then why aren't leprechauns (Or Notre Dame's mascot here) offensive to the Irish and DOUBLE STANDARD!

Edit: I should point out, this guy isn't Irish.

So far my most successful approach to this has been to sub in some more-contemporary but still generally rare epithets; "Tell me, would it be hosed up if we were talking about the Washington Wetbacks? Washington Spics?"

When, inevitably, you receive a No, then escalate. If you're talking to someone with empathy who's caught up in outrage over Things Changing, or has a lot of their identity wrapped up in ball-moving groups, then the approach gives you a chance of slipping some thoughts in edgewise. If you're deliberately interacting with a known bigot, it's a great way to get them either to out themselves to the audience or to gently caress off, the two major reasons I personally tend to engage with this sort of person.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Defenestration posted:

that's an expensive gun rest

Huh, that guy's non-trigger hand sure is oddly shaped and apparently lacking a knuckle!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Wall Street is one million people and comprises all the major cities in the state.

But see Obama only had 900 delegates by February 5th when New York voted in 2008 and he went on to win anyway, so Sanders his doing even better with 1,200 delegates on April 19th, victory is assured now!

It's always sad to watch large public projects like an election campaign slide towards failure, but staffers trying to put a brave face on things in order to keep up morale of the base seems pretty reasonable to me.

Just fuckin lol at the square-footage versus population argument. Living in Oregon outside of Portland I hear this kind of poo poo all the time. Guess what guys, when majority rules and the majority of your state all lives in one loving city, what the people in that city want for their state is what the rest of us get. Also you can still be all kinds of racist everywhere because I don't think I've ever encountered a place that was more unsettlingly white than western inland Oregon, though your preemptive indignation over the idea that someone might disapprove of that is no doubt more charming than what it will eventually escalate to.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Asiina posted:

Nah they'll just say "he was confused and disturbed and so did a terrible thing."

There seem to be some people who think trans people don't exist entirely and it's just hairy bearded men in dresses, but most seem to understand that there are people who think they want to be the other gender, but that they are sick or confused or just perverts.

It is a wedge issue because it boils down to "society is changing and I don't like it because it's not what I'm used to, so I'm going to mock it." It has very little to do with logic.

I have a coworker who, when the topic of trans issues comes up at work, likes to 1) immediately talk about how Otherkin are just so ~crazy~ and 2) work some variation of 'this is only a problem because our society and economy give people time to focus on these things.'

I'm already developing a reputation as someone who's stubbornly convinced that they're always right, because I insist on contradicting ignorant and/or bigoted bullshit when I'm certain it's non-factual so the closest I've come to touching either of these is just to respond with something like 'but that's literally the entire point of western-style individual-focused social/political systems, creating a society prosperous enough that we can be concerned with issues beyond basic survival and security.'

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

"BS that not even I could handle :smug:"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

"peasants"? I thought liberals were supposed to be the elitist ones

My Elitism Is The Only Moral Elitism.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Thump! posted:

Navy Seals killed the Vice President!? :ohdear:

If Joe Biden has been dead for five years that could explain some of the facial expressions I've seen him make on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Also reminder, the Oregon Standoff was because dumbasses literally want to gently caress the land into Dust Ball 2.0 and blame Obama for it.

I live in the semi-civilized part of Oregon and this whole event was positively a magical time for me. Everyone where I work was talking about it, and because I have no more faith in humanity or hope period, I got to chuckle at the things which people actually think. Hoooooly poo poo.

Also we have a dude with 'MOLON LABE' tattooed on each hand who works in our assembly department, watching him go from pumped and gung-ho to bitter and disillusioned over the course of the poo poo was pretty entertaining, but the absolute best part was the whole dildo package thing. Everytime someone mentioned it to him with some variation of "I don't care who you are, that's funny" you could practically see his repressed rage swelling.

Hah, actually, this work poo poo probably qualifies as topical for the thread: one of the dudes I generally work fairly close to is enough of a redditor that he'll tell stories about reddit discussions at work. That part is a little painful but more amusing than anything else, what puts him in here is that anytime the idea of trans people comes up in conversation (doubly awesome because we've talked at length about my sister, who is a trans woman) he'll make a stock disparaging comment and then immediately start talking about otherkin as if they are conceptually identical in his mind to trans people.

And one of the dudes who trained me, as soon as I mentioned I was in Iraq, immediately went to great lengths to try to drag some anti-Arab racism out of me. He also has more than one three-wolf-and-moon shirt and is like loving sixty or something.