Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Terper posted:

I'm in the mood to play a good ol' classic rpg from Japan, which one should I play...

Romancing SaGa 3. The official English version is on current systems, and they didn't bork the sprites at all (unlike what they were doing with FF and CT re-releases a while back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
There's also Front Mission 2, which is in English for the first time today.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Front Mission 2's English translation is probably the worst translation Square-Enix, or Squaresoft, or Enix, has ever released. I'm honestly shocked. I thought that after the wonderful translations that even mid-budget games like RS3 and Scarlet Grace received, we were past the days of low-effort translations for good.

Fortunately Lords of the Fallen comes out this week! I don't know if Soulslikes are on-topic exactly, but I'm hyped for it.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Benson Cunningham posted:

Knights of the round takes 75 seconds. Boomerang can take 42 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exy_KEmMkvw

At least knights of the round loving ends combat.

I cannot imagine defending sea of stars combat as hard as you are when it is so unbelievably bad.

Are you presenting that video as a typical example of how Sea of Stars combat usually goes? The comments suggest that this is actually an exceptional performance - and consequently would not be how the game usually goes.

(I haven't played Sea of Stars, but I liked The Messenger so I'm probably gonna try it sometime.)

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Zero Punctuation is a comedy show. He basically just riffs on all the silly things in games, as well as highlighting (what he thinks are) the high points and low points of each game. But it's pretty weird that people are either valuing or disparaging him as a serious source of game reviews - he never was.

ZP did stop being a fad, which matters to fad chasers I guess. I still think he's funny.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Is Star Ocean: The Divine Force good as a first Star Ocean game? I like the look of it.

Also:

WaltherFeng posted:

According to the publisher's Discord, they are looking to improve Front Mission 2's translation and other issues that have been reported.

Excellent news. Thanks for sharing!

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

ImpAtom posted:

So by your logic Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is a spinoff of Metal Gear Solid?

That actually makes some sense. It has a different main character and a whole hoard of different game mechanics. Even the stealth mechanics - the key game mechanic of Metal Gear - are completely different from all previous Metal Gear games.

It doesn't ultimately feel like a spinoff, mainly because of how strongly it ties into the main MGS story. Metal Gear Ac!d and Ghost Babel do feel like spinoffs - even though GB plays more like traditional Metal Gear than MGS3 does - because they don't affect the main story.

But it's an interesting example to focus on.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

The Colonel posted:

the only sense in which you could say mgs3 isn't any kind of evolution on the mechanics of mgs2 is because you can play it with a third person camera. i think people forget often that, the third person camera was an option, and not the default way of playing that the game originally released with

Nobody even mentioned the camera. It was the same camera as MGS2 on release, mostly.

I'm talking about stuff like all the food mechanics, specific injuries and treatments, the entire camo system, guards no longer having vision cones (they can spot you from all the way across the map if your camo is bad), ambient hazardous wildlife, and the interrogation mini-game. None of those were in MGS2.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Every Silent Hill after 4 has been completely unnecessary.

Devs: "We're going to return to what made Silent Hill 2 great!"
Fans: "Horror rooted in the characters' psychology?"
Devs: "Absolutely!"
Devs: "So the Cult of Samael is back.."

I'll grant an exception to Shattered Memories, since it was a very ambitious experiment - and pretty fun to play too.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Actually, Silent Hill 4 is a great candidate for "should have been a spin-off". It doesn't play like SH and it doesn't really scare like SH. But its reduced horror elements do pack a punch sometimes, and the main character's introversion might have been fertile grount to explore. People would've given it a better chance without the big name attached to it, I think.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Lunacid is great. And it's an RPG as well, so we're back on topic!

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Covenant of the Plume was a good time, I thought. The choice to sacrifice people in exchange for OP abilities basically becomes an in-game difficulty slider, and a good twist on the "permadeath" concept that Fire Emblem had popularized, and a more immediately rewarding instance of VP1's sending warriors to Valhalla.

Has anyone ever gotten ending A in VP1 without a guide? Or is it one of those 2000's-era obscure-to-be-obscure deals? (Like in SH2, who TF would just stop every so often to re-read the letter and look at the photo? Only people using a guide to get an ending, that's who.)

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I got Star Ocean First Departure and Divine Force on sale. Starting with First Departure, since I have a high tolerance/appreciation for old-school RPGs.

I love that they took one of the most cliché JRPG fetch quests - someone fell sick and the only cure is on top of a nearby mountain - and then subverted the heck out of it with starships, three extraplanetary factions, and the Guardian of Forever all at once.

Based on the chatter I'm hearing, I should expect very few other sci-fi elements for the bulk of the game, though. I do want to see how it all wraps up.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

The Colonel posted:

is that a subversion. the trope is still the premise of the entire game

I'd say so. The herbs don't actually cure the disease, for one. And the characters' motivation to fight Asmodeus is to get the real cure for the disease, rather than how in most games the fetch quest is just an obstacle on the way to the big fight.

(I haven't beaten the game and have avoided spoilers, so don't tell me if this turns out to be untrue.)

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I'll put on other music while grinding. No gaming music is good enough to hold up to an extended session of: a few seconds of field music, battle transition, a few seconds of battle music, victory fanfare, repeat.

When I'm advancing the game, though, I want to hear what the game wants me to hear.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

BabyRyoga posted:

I think Legend of Mana was all style, and no substance. It had an interesting world building experiment and some nice aesthetics, but the actual action game play was about as basic as it possibly could be.

Legend of Mana has one of the best implementations of non-linear world building and exploration I can think of for a pre-Morrowind console game. Figuring out how to follow story threads across the game's locations was interesting and rewarding, and there was nothing else quite like it. Especially considering how good some of those story threads actually are - obviously the Jumi storyline is the standout, but I also liked the depressed musicians, the centaur trying to date monsters, and whatever the heck was going on with the toy graveyard.

The combat gets a bit interesting when you figure out how to learn - and then use - new skills. Fortunately/unfortunately, the game is so easy that you can beat it without ever knowing this.

BabyRyoga posted:

Running into enemies Ys1 style had more depth.

I know it's your "opinion" but you're also objectively wrong. Go play LoM again sometime.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Failboattootoot posted:

Hyped for Unicorn Overlord but it picked a sadtimes launch window with FF7 Rebirth right there.

Unicorn Overlord will be a day-1 purchase for sure. Vanillaware rocks and Ogre Battle-style games rock.

I'll get FF7Rebirth on PC eventually. I thought Remake was a PS exclusive so I got it there, then it got released on PC later with mods. Not making that error again!

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
2000 was the Year of the RPG. For JRPG fans in the USA, there's never been a better year than 2000.

SquareSoft was releasing a game at the rate of about once a month, and all of them continue to be played and discussed to this day (except Threads of Fate). Seriously, look at their NA releases, it's crazy and we've never seen anything like it before or since. Besides those, we got Valkyrie Profile, Skies of Arcadia, and Legend of Dragoon. (There was also a Dragon Quest spinoff released this year, but I played it and it wasn't great.)

And this was also the year that the N64 got Ogre Batttle 64! Which is basically the only N64 RPG still regarded as worth playing these days, besides Paper Mario.

Tequila Bob fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 20, 2023

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I love FF13. Its combat is very fun and the characters are appealing. Also it runs great on the Steam Deck.

What gets me about it is, they have this cool-as-heck concept of "focuses" where the characters have to accomplish a goal or become a monster, and the goal is presented just as an image. As a story premise and as a potential gameplay device, this is amazing.

And the game - not the story, but the game - does absolutely nothing with this. Seems like a waste of a great concept. Imagine if the player was given focuses as part of the game, and got rewarded for actually figuring out the goal - or "punished" by becoming monstrous (but also getting monster abilities or stat boosts)?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

The Colonel posted:

it's a moot point in the end because there's never actually been a final fantasy game that was received badly enough for square enix not to give it 20 years of remasters. as much arguing as you can do over it there's not exactly a tales of the tempest where a game came out so badly it was effectively disowned, every single one of these games has found a niche

Mystic Quest

(They should've included MQ in the Pixel Remasters. Instead of FF2.)

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Sakurazuka posted:

Wish they'd do a proper 13 remaster release so I could play it on console and get the JP voices.

The Steam version has you covered! And 13 has relatively modest requirements compared to games from the past 10 years.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't have a working PC

I'd advise you to change that, if personal finances permit it. The console makers basically don't give a flip about older games except as a means to sell subscription plans. (XBox is actually better about this than Sony and Nintendo, but JRPGs are a weak spot in their library.)

If you like older games, and want to keep them playable over the decades, a personal computer is just about essential. It doesn't need to be a beast, just make sure that it has a real graphics card (not an "integrated" graphics card that's designed for the OS graphics and little else).

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
If they re-release XIII, I have 3 demands:

1. Emphasize XIII-2 and LR on the game selection screen. I love XIII but the sequels are so much better. Guide players to the good parts!
2. Restore the Japanese role names, instead of the CoD-wannabe junk like "synergist".
3. Though it makes no sense, have an option to bring all of LR's roles and costumes into the earlier games in place of the six roles. This won't happen, I just want to imagine it.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Tequila Bob posted:

If they re-release XIII, I have 3 demands:

1. Emphasize XIII-2 and LR on the game selection screen. I love XIII but the sequels are so much better. Guide players to the good parts!
2. Restore the Japanese role names, instead of the CoD-wannabe junk like "synergist".
3. Though it makes no sense, have an option to bring all of LR's roles and costumes into the earlier games in place of the six roles. This won't happen, I just want to imagine it.

4. Include Type-0 and its mangas, since they're part of the worldbuilding too.
5. Include Mystic Quest, loudly asserting that it is also part of Fabula Nova Crystalis.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Has anyone tried Front Mission 2 after yesterday's update? Is the translation improved, or is it still literally the worst JRPG translation ever?

I own it but I've been too busy playing Tales of Arise ($20 from Humble Bundle) and adding mods to it. I've never played a Tales game before, but so far it seems fun - and it's a good showcase for the Steam Deck's graphics too.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Meowywitch posted:

They're both better than Unicorn Overload

The only way to improve the title of Unicorn Overlord would be to actually run with your typo and call it Unicorn Overload.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Kild posted:

whats your favorite rpg

Legend of Mana. This game has such a wonderful feeling of actual exploration, and a great cast of characters to interact with. And since it's so open and freeform, you're basically always doing what you want to be doing, instead of being dragged or prodded.

The combat isn't great, but at least it's easy enough to stay out of your way. (And I actually found learning new techs to be decently engaging.)

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Y'all played CrossCode? It's one of my favorite recent games. It nails the 16-bit aesthetic and has puzzling environments thst are really fun to explore. It is an action RPG with a focus on ranged combat, but there's difficulty sliders if you want to take a more relaxed approach.

It's on sale now too, at least on Steam.

(Troubleshooter is also good)

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
It's worth mentioning that Mystery Dungeons are a (mostly console-specific) subset of the Roguelike genre, which has existed for decades. There are a lot of free and open-source Roguelikes you can try - Rogue being the originator, of course, but I'd recommend "Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup" for a modern free RL that still has the spirit of the older games too.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

ImpAtom posted:

I like Xenoblade X more than most people entirely because it starts you off with one of the best jumps in gaming and leaves you with a goddamn flying robot.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is the best Xenoblade for sure. It needs a re-release badly. People don't know what they're missing.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i know those "things you should NEVER EVER EVER DO in your story" lists are 100% lame bullshit but if i had one, "never invent an in-universe slur" would be up there on the list

Nah, there are good stories with made-up slurs. My favorite fictional slur is https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Spoon_head - partly because the Cardassian character who hears the term has a great reaction to it when it's first used.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Oxxidation posted:

try saying less

Rascyc posted:

well that's an improvement over baiting someone into suicide so I'm glad you've gotten better

Wow, that got personal fast. Maybe take it to DMs or something?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
The FF7 Remake OST is some top-tier gaming music. Definitely worth the listen.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Gaius Marius posted:

Ocarina of Time

I know this is probably just trolling, but I'll bite: why Ocarina of Time?

I'm trying to fathom what makes a game "disrespectful" in any case. Surely it's not just being a poor entry in the series, right? Does it actually have to insult the previous games somehow?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Am I missing anything by skipping Tears of the Kingdom? Everyone was gushing about it when it came out, so it's probably pretty good, sure. But I don't really enjoy crafting systems much, and the game basically seems like BotW + crafting. And as much as I enjoyed exploring Hyrule in BotW, learning that they pretty much brought it back again was a bit of a turnoff.

If the sky stuff and the underground are also fun to explore, though, I might need to try it out.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Why is everyone suddenly saying that Grandia HD is a bad port? I've played the PS1 version and the HD version, and HD seems perfectly fine (and also comes with Grandia 2).

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I wonder how The Woolsey Fan Company would handle Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
That would be excellent if it happens. I want then to fix the late game, of course, but even if they don't I'll still be glad to have it again.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm the heathen who refunded Saga Scarlet Grace. Doesn't matter how good the combat is, having nothing outside of it but an overworld map is a death-knell.

I think you have assumed some things about "overworld maps" that aren't true for this game. But I'll humor you, why do you think having an overworld map instead of towns/dungeons is a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I remember being on GameFAQs a long time ago and seeing all the arguments about "Is Zelda an RPG" come up over and over, because the site itself listed Zelda as an RPG. Funnily enough, nobody ever actually produced a workable definition of RPG on either side of the argument. "Immersive Sim" feels like the same situation.

My criteria for Immersive Sim is, can you stealth if you want? Can you fight if you prefer? Is there hidden stuff that rewards exploration? It's an immersive sim.

(This would make lots of CRPGs immersive sims. And all of the Romancing SaGa games, depending on how you define "stealth". I'm OK with this.)