Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've been looking forward to this, and it doesn't disappoint. Thread delivers indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I only ever saw the scene where some pilot-mans takes a girl for a joyride in a P-51 (ignoring the fact it only has room for one person, barely) and they even managed to make that part suck poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ehhhh, of all the awful, awful bullshit in that movie I'm not going to call out fitting two people in a one person cockpit too loudly. There are dozens of well documented instances of pilots of non-jet aircraft in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam landing to pick up downed buddies and flying out with another full grown dude sitting in their lap. I'm also pretty sure a lot of WW2 aircraft had crudely adjustable seats, sitting on a rail similar to how you would adjust non-powered seats in an older car.

I know it was certainly a thing that happened but to be fair in those situations the passenger was also a pilot, probably with training for the exact plane they were picked up in, and could help the actual pilot work around any issues stemming from stuffing two people into a small cockpit.

In any case it is far from the worst thing about that movie. It was just the first thing that occurred to my spergy 12 year old brain when I saw it years ago. I'll stop making GBS threads up this excellent thread now.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My great-grandfather flew C-47s during WWII, mostly in the North Africa theater from what he's said. I have several pictures of him and some fellow pilots on camels in front of the Pyramids, pretty cool.

As far as I know he never flew again after the war, instead becoming a traveling salesman.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo, looks like I found out what to do with some of my vacation time this year, and I was just trying to figure that out this morning. I always swore that I had no reason or desire to ever go back to Florida but drat, that museum just sounds way too cool to miss.

Also would be down for an Ohio museum trip if it happens, that ones even closer :)

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 28, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

mikerock posted:

Don't they refuel planes which are going to make a long flight right after takeoff because takeoff eats up so much fuel?

I thought it was that they don't takeoff with a full load of fuel so they could get as much cargo as possible on, and refuel in the air before continuing on their way.

e: f;b

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Blistex posted:

Was it Darmok or Jalad?

Shaka

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Snowdens Secret posted:

The enlisted man, with his slothful and deviant ways and constant perversions

For some reason I really wanted this to be a reference to something (it isn't, so thanks for this wonderful phrase), and when I put it into the googles the first result was something called "The Grand Strategy of the Reptilians" and now I can't stop laughing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I can't remember if it was this thread or the Aeronautical Insanity thread in AI where there was a multi-page discussion about exactly this. The crazy thing I learned from it is that as long as the pilots maintain 1g through the roll you could be a passenger and not even notice that you were (temporarily) upside down, unless you looked out a window of course. Ever since then I've always imagined bored 737 pilots executing lazy barrel-rolls and chuckling to themselves.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

Sweet Jesus what did that thing weigh?

188 goddamn tons, according to my copy of My Tank is Fight!.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Xerxes17 posted:

Matthew Riley is a Australian treasure and I will hear no words against him :australia:

I've been waiting for him to be brought up for a while. His books are great bathroom books because you don't need to be invested in them (and even if you are you can finish them in a couple hours at most), and every other page something explodes. Reading one of his books is like watching 5 summer blockbusters rolled into one with your brain doing the CGI, and it's awesome.

The third book features a bounty hunter that flies a modified Sukhoi SU-47 that has a galley and a holding cell for prisoners like loving Boba Fett. And he's one of the good guys.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 21, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Kid in the middle should be given a medal for attempting to defend the motherland from foreign invaders :ussr:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I wish they'd had the time/balls to build a second Credible Sport C-130 with improved sequencing controls for the rockets. Can you imagine how :black101: that rescue would've been? Directors would get into fistfights over who got to make the movie.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Akion posted:

I have a friend that races Jet Dragsters. He drives one that looks like Thomas the loving tank engine and is powered by a J-79.

It's glorious.

Yeah, I'm gonna need a picture of this for...reasons

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That's awesome as hell, thanks for sharing :cheers:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dandywalken posted:

So the AGM-114 Hellfire we all know (and some people may even LOVE???) is capable of doing the whole LOBL/LOAL thing to fire from behind cover, etc.

This has led to the impression that its a top-attack missile. But there are some arguments to the contrary, with people implying it'll impact at like 15 degrees at max range when fired from a LOAL mode at near ground level.

I hope this isnt an OPSEC thing, but can anybody confirm that? Is the top-attack just a side effect of the flight pattern set before launch, or is there some manner of top-attack incentive taken by the missile during its terminal phase to ensure a more vertical-oriented impact?

Nice try, comrade.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Aargh posted:

Yep it sure does

:allears: Connies are so loving awesome. The former Air Force One Connie flew right by my campus on it's way to it's restoration hangar, that was a nice treat.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slo-Tek posted:

I wasn't in on that, but Powercube and I just decided that Northrop B-2.1 Black Joke is the way to go on this. Tagline: "gently caress 'em if they can't take a Joke!"
The Black Joke was a British slave raider, some interesting technology on it, one of the first rotating turrets, took out a bunch of ships with a lot more weight of iron.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Black_Joke_(1827)

This or B-21 Lemay gets my vote. Raider isn't terrible though, especially considering the Dick Cole angle.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Effective-Disorder posted:

I thought satellite "maintenance" was part of the original plans for X-37's capabilities.

If the 80's taught me anything, it's that you only need one guy and a secret phase-conjugate tracking mirror to handle a faulty space station, plus a lot of popcorn.

Like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

More or less.

I wonder how much of them is Russian made bits at this point.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:smith:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

B4Ctom1 posted:

Some scary but no crashie.. but scary. This carrier hungers for vodka enriched blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8DFu-6sag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFavtMOXrOE

Did the plane @ ~30sec in the second video take off with its wheel brakes applied? It left some hellacious skidmarks up the ramp.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Seveneves kicked a lot of rear end all the way up to the 5,000 year leap into the future, and then it just fell apart. If he'd spent more time talking about how humanity had learned to survive and grow in space, like a continuation of the first halfs "holy poo poo how do we make this work" it could have been great. I wanted to know more about how the diggers and the pingers adapted and survived too. Genetically engineered space-racists was just an insultingly bad way to end what was otherwise a pretty good near-future scifi novel.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

a kitten posted:

"Germany rolls up sleeves, looks at France and punches Belgium" makes me laugh every time.

The part about Japan calling out that it was on Britain's side and then staying on the other side of the room killed me.

I like to imagine it took a sip from its drink while casually observing the scuffle.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I have only read Hunt for Red October and after reading this thread for many years I can say unequivocally that I made the Right Choice.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Gnoman posted:

That would be Treasure, and the car was a Cord L-29.

Undoubtedly Clive spent at least a paragraph talking about the Cord being front wheel drive and how this made for better snow traction, too, I'll wager. :allears:

I love Clive Cussler novels, and the fact that he has become his own character is awesome as hell.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

I always picture this poor guy in a soundproof room in the Pentagon with a bunch of really bored enlisted musicians.

"Nice work, Colonel! Outstanding! You know, though, it could sound a little...sexier"
"Sex..sexier, General? Is that really appropriate? It's about shooting down enemy pilots"
"Of course it is, but let's give the men something to really get excited about. Jazz 'em up! Make it hot!"

I wish I could 5 individual posts.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I miss 50FA :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Yes, speaking of Russia because someone already beat you to posting that video. Well done.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Gonna show that ballpoint pen tip thing to all my idiot friends that think China is on par or even surpassing us in tech and engineering.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The dude with the world record for most lightning strikes survived was electrocuted while working on his pool's filtration pump.

Life's a bitch.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hello thread, I visited the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum this weekend. I took some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/cNzENdm

https://imgur.com/a/tDglN9j

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I did, and I meant to get a picture of that adorable little turbojet but my phone battery was dead af by the time I hit the engine room, so I was focusing on the cutaways.

Luckily I have a friend who lives like 10 minutes away from the museum so I'll definitely be going back. If I lived in the area I'd volunteer as a docent/caretaker, I actually ended up answering a few people's questions about various displays while we were walking around anyway...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

TimNeilson posted:

so what is this thing?

It’s the waveguides for the emitting part of an airborne radar off of I want to say the F-4? The entire radar is in that album, probably directly after that image. The waveguides are on the bottom underneath the dish.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

A.o.D. posted:

Since it isn't a hand hold, it's obviously a step.

:golfclap:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Xerxes17 posted:

Yeah that was more Beria's style.

:drat:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cat Mattress posted:

Lead, too.

Somewhere in Ancient Rome: "okay, so ingesting this metal causes gout, colic, and insanity. Let's use it to make our aqueducts and also use it as a cooking condiment and a wine sweetener."

Somewhere, much later, in America: "okay so this metal causes a lot of bad things that we've known about since antiquity, let's put it in our exhaust fumes instead of using something like ethanol that'd burn without leaving toxic byproducts".

Lead and ethanol serve entirely different purposes in fuel, it’s not an either/or thing.

Lead was put in gasoline back in the day because the valves and valve seats in older engines weren’t hardened as much as they are now and the lead in the fuel actually acted as a cushion between them, increasing engine longevity immensely.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

RandomPauI posted:

I'm glad I stopped the reading the books and watching the movies at "Hunt for Red October"

:same:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

shame on an IGA posted:

One Weird Trick To Hate FL410
Sponsored Content by Bombardier

This got lost in the shuffle a few pages back but I laughed.
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Kebbins posted:

Just got back from seeing Blackbird #30 in Tucson. Did some other dorky cold war stuff and I gotta say the Titan Missile Museum has one of the coolest, most unique, and most thoughtful souvenirs I've ever seen at a museum gift shop.

That looks identical to one of the elevator service keys I have on my keyring at work.

It would not surprise me in the least if they are literally the same bitting.